daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 18th, 2010, 12:28 AM   #1
engenx4
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

BRAZIL | Railways

Hi guys

Vitoria a Minas Railway:

image hosted on flickr

engenx4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2010, 02:10 AM   #2
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

This railroad is mainly a freight railroad operating on metric gauge without electrification. It boost a daily sloppy, crappy and irrelevant passenger service (one service per direction between Belo Horizonte and Vitoria). On the other side, it is the second most important freight railroad of Brazil, carrying the bulk of the Southeast Ore mineral district production to the ports where it is shipped to foreign markets.

The reason this passenger service survived is odd. The railroad was operated by a (then) state-owned mining company, Cia. Vale do Rio Doce (which is the predecessor for the present-day giant VALE).

When the company was privatized (together with its logistic assets like 2 railroads and a maritime cargo company), back room deals obliged the company to operate this unprofitable, unneeded (there is a parallel road all the way long) and wasteful passenger rail service.

Later, Vale separated its logistic business due to antitrust litigation pushed by other users (mostly within steel industry) against Vale. Now the railroad is an independent company fully owned by Vale, and still have to provide this service.

An identical issue exists in their northern railroad, the Estrada de Ferro Carajas, which hauls ore, copper and bauxite from the Carajas project to a seaport near Sao Luiz.

These are market anomalies, created by, like I said, bad political process outcomes. These services do not break even, severely disrupts cargo operations (many sectors have single tracks) and speed is not even competitive with intercity buses, let alone private cars.

Brazil would be better of if this crap was moved out of its tracks to allow for more smooth operations with bulk traffic only (freeing more than enough capacity in nearby roads by long-distance seaport bound trucks to be used by cars and buses).

I wish these services were scrapped altogether, but unfortunately they will keep being anomalies in our freight railway system.

When I will have been able to amass a decent portfolio of third-party pictures of the REAL rolling stock and operations of this railway, I'll come back and post them.

Last edited by Suburbanist; July 19th, 2010 at 12:35 AM. Reason: typo
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2010, 11:23 PM   #3
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

That locomotive looks like an American SD40-2 that was sold second-hand to the Brazilian company and reconfigured to operate on the Brazilian meter-gauge track. There are a LOT of second-hand American road locomotives operating in Brazil. Many were reconfigured from their original C-C (six powered axles) wheel arrangements to B+B-B+B (eight powered axles) with their frames being extended to fit the added axles in their refits, too.

Also interesting in that they use 'AAR' couplers.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 12:37 AM   #4
Suburbanist
on the road

Yes, that is usually case indeed. Now, finally, the more financially-stable operators are buying new rolling stock adjusted to meter gauge.
Old July 19th, 2010, 03:14 PM   #5
Billyking

Likes (Received): 0

the locomotive seem to be disportionately massive compared to the rolling stock.

Is there still a lot of metre gauge traffic in Brazil?

What is the future of metre gauge railway in Brazil?
Billyking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #6
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyking View Post
the locomotive seem to be disportionately massive compared to the rolling stock.

Is there still a lot of metre gauge traffic in Brazil?

What is the future of metre gauge railway in Brazil?
~40% of the active Brazilian network has meter gauge, another chunk has large Brazilian gauge (1600mm, same for some subway systems), although all new railroads under construction or constructed in the last 10 years were so with standard gauge (1465mm).

There are no plans for gauge conversion.
Old September 4th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #7
Need4Weed
Urbani ljakse

Likes (Received): 52

And why did they disband the RFFSA? It seems a bit odd to me, since it seems that Brazilian railway network badly needs additional investment, so it would be quite logical to pool all resources into one company, in order to streamline management of the entire network. And why there are no plans for gauge unification?
Need4Weed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #8
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Weed View Post
And why did they disband the RFFSA? It seems a bit odd to me, since it seems that Brazilian railway network badly needs additional investment, so it would be quite logical to pool all resources into one company, in order to streamline management of the entire network. And why there are no plans for gauge unification?
RFFSA was a money-bleeding inefficient, crap and corrupt company. In 1996 it was partitioned in 7 and sold to private investors. Later, there was some consolidation within them.

I'm glad they've done away with RFFSA. 12 months after privatization, the new 7 companies, combined, had fired more than 18.000 unnecessary employees and closed more than 3.000km of unprofitable tracks.

We do not need a new sate rail company like RFFSA. It was like a cancer, eating away and slowly killing the rail system with its byzantine practices.
Old September 4th, 2010, 06:17 PM   #9
Need4Weed
Urbani ljakse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
RFFSA was a money-bleeding inefficient, crap and corrupt company. In 1996 it was partitioned in 7 and sold to private investors. Later, there was some consolidation within them.

I'm glad they've done away with RFFSA. 12 months after privatization, the new 7 companies, combined, had fired more than 18.000 unnecessary employees and closed more than 3.000km of unprofitable tracks.

We do not need a new sate rail company like RFFSA. It was like a cancer, eating away and slowly killing the rail system with its byzantine practices.
They could just reorganize it. Besides, in a country like Brazil, it seems strange that there were unprofitable tracks. Which railroads were closed?
Old September 4th, 2010, 10:39 PM   #10
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
They could just reorganize it. Besides, in a country like Brazil, it seems strange that there were unprofitable tracks. Which railroads were closed?
I don't have the whole list, but a lot of lines were closed.

The system was reorganized - under private control. Freight transportation over tracks in Brazil has been growing steadily for years. Unprofitable passenger transport was cut off almost altogether, for good and hopefully forever.
Old September 7th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #11
Need4Weed
Urbani ljakse

Quote:
I don't have the whole list, but a lot of lines were closed.

The system was reorganized - under private control. Freight transportation over tracks in Brazil has been growing steadily for years. Unprofitable passenger transport was cut off almost altogether, for good and hopefully forever.
And what about this long-anticipated RdJ-SP HSR? Who is going to build and operate that?
Old September 7th, 2010, 02:01 AM   #12
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
And what about this long-anticipated RdJ-SP HSR? Who is going to build and operate that?
A private consortium who'll get a minority investment from State. There is a thread on the project here, I myself had updated it a month ago or so.
Old September 7th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #13
Need4Weed
Urbani ljakse

Quote:
A private consortium who'll get a minority investment from State. There is a thread on the project here, I myself had updated it a month ago or so.
Thanks!
Old September 14th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #14
hakz2007
Moderador

Likes (Received): 4871

China State-Run Banks Plan to Invest in Brazil's High-Speed Train Project
Quote:
China Development Bank Corp. and the Export-Import Bank of China are ready to lend to a group of companies bidding for Brazil’s bullet-train project, according to Asian Trade Link, which is associated with the group.

China Railway Construction Corp. and China Northern Locomotive & Rolling Stock Industry Group Corp. are leading the bid group, said Marco Paulo Moreira Leite, chief executive officer of Asian Trade Link, a Brazilian firm.

“There’s no problem for China in terms of financing,” Leite said in a Sept. 8 telephone interview from Rio de Janeiro. “The Chinese banks are well-capitalized.”

The Chinese group, which has been studying the high-speed train project for a year, is waiting for details on a loan from Brazil’s state development bank, Leite said. The bank, known as BNDES, may finance as much as 60 percent of the project, Bernardo Figueiredo, head of the nation’s Land Transportation Agency, said last year.

The train will link the cities of Rio and Campinas via Sao Paulo and may cost as much as 33.1 billion reais ($19.4 billion), according to Brazil’s federal auditing court, known as TCU.

Officials at the Export-Import Bank of China and China Development Bank couldn’t be reached for comment.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...n-project.html
hakz2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #15
hakz2007
Moderador

Likes (Received): 4871

SID to End Railway Project in 2012
Quote:
Companhia Siderurgica Nacional (NYSE: SID - News), one of the leading Brazilian steel makers, announced that it expects its Transnordestina railway and logistics project to be fully operational by the end of 2012. The $2.6 billion project will enable CSN to transport over 30 million tons of cargo annually in the northeastern part of Brazil.

Earlier in August 2006, Companhia Siderurgica’s affiliate Companhia Ferroviária do Nordeste, or CFN, merged with state-owned Transnordestina S.A., with the resulting entity named as Transnordestina Logística S.A., or Nova Transnordestina. Transnordestina Logística S.A. has a 30-year concession granted in 1998 to operate the Northeastern Railroad of the RFFSA with 4,238 km of railway track. As of December 31, 2009, Companhia Siderurgica owned 84.3% of the capital stock of Transnordestina Logística S.A.

The Nova Transnordestina Project includes an additional 1,728 km (1,080 miles) of large gauge, state-of-the-art railway track. The project cost estimated to be around $2.6 billion will be 60% funded through debt and 40% through capital injections. Estimated cost per kilometer is roughly 2.9 million reais. Companhia Siderurgica currently owns 56% of the project’s equity, the other major partners being the federal government and state-controlled development bank BNDES.

Companhia Siderurgica intends to realize over 50% operating margins and over 13% return on this investment. It expects to break even with the four advanced contracts signed ahead of its completion. The project will help the company attain high efficiency levels by owning its own infrastructure for transporting various products, such as iron ore, limestone, soy beans, cotton, sugar cane, fertilizers, oil and fuels.

We believe the growth prospect of Companhia Siderurgica is encouraging due to various projects being carried out by the company. According to the World Steel Association, global steel demand in 2010 is likely to hike by 10.7% and 5.3% in 2011. Moreover, the company’s entrance into the cement business is also encouraging.

In 2010, Companhia Siderurgica plans capital expenditures to approximate $2,305 million versus $930 million in 2009. Of the total spending, the company allocated $502 million for the Casa de Pedra mine expansion, $352 million for Itaguaí Port expansion and $178 million in running capex. The company also allocated $808 million for the Transnordestina S.A project.

Despite these positives, we prefer to remain on the sidelines at current levels with regard to results in the quarters ahead that appear to be less promising and more depressed, attributable to falling domestic sales and higher manufacturing costs. High inventory levels in the supply chain will force steelmakers to export more leading to lower domestic sales (88.5% of sales). Also, Companhia Siderurgica’s debt levels are escalating ascribed primarily to funding the company’s investment plans. Moreover, high cyclicality and growing competition in the industry are major hindrances to growth.

Based on all these factors and anticipating a lack of any positive share price driver, we maintain an Underperform rating.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/SID-to....html?x=0&.v=1

Last edited by hakz2007; September 14th, 2010 at 06:18 PM.
hakz2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #16
nagara373

Likes (Received): 2

gauge conversion

Quote:
~40% of the active Brazilian network has meter gauge, another chunk has large Brazilian gauge (1600mm, same for some subway systems), although all new railroads under construction or constructed in the last 10 years were so with standard gauge (1465mm).

There are no plans for gauge conversion.
In Brazil, all 1600mm (Irish gauge) lines got proposed to convert to 1435mm (standard gauge).

Last edited by nagara373; February 13th, 2011 at 07:09 AM.
nagara373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #17
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagara373 View Post
In Brazil, all 1600mm (Irish gauge) lines got proposed to convert to 1435mm (standard gauge).
They didn't. And there is no reasonf for that. Brazil has only one very isolated mining railway which runs on standard gauge and it is located more than 400km, one island and two major river estuaries from any other rail. Other than that, you have closed subway lines operating on 1453mm.

Indeed, Brazil is constructing almost 3.000km of new freight railway tracks on 1600mm. The more pressing issue would be enlarging the 1000mm tracks. However, clearances and trackbeds would not be enough for any enlargement without major invesment, so reducing 1600mm tracks to 1453 wouldn't help to integrate the network regardless.
Old November 29th, 2010, 06:02 AM   #18
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Japan-based groups pulls out of contention for Brazil HSR

They cited concerns about achieving profitability over the 40 year timespan they would be responsible for running the operation.

Quote:
The Japan group, which also includes Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (7011.T) Ltd., Hitachi Ltd (6501.T) and Toshiba Corp (6502.T), asked the Brazilian government to reduce the burden on the winner of the project, but the government declined the request, Kyodo added.
Well, I suppose the Chinese (or Koreans, maybe) have deeper pockets to absorb the possible losses.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTOE6AO08I20101126
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 07:24 AM   #19
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

I believe they pushed back the deadline until April 2010. Both the Japanese and French teams backed out, citing unfavorable contract terms. I believe the Korean team was the only one that still had an intention of submitting a bid by the deadline.

I think the Brazilian government has explained that the deadline is to give bidders "more time," but they have so far avoided mentioning any specific changes to the terms as part of the extended deadline. Seems like they will have to, or they will end up back in the same place... This project seems like a huge risk, but the government was trying to shift all of it onto the winning team.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 11:05 PM   #20
HigerBigger

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
I believe they pushed back the deadline until April 2010. Both the Japanese and French teams backed out, citing unfavorable contract terms. I believe the Korean team was the only one that still had an intention of submitting a bid by the deadline.

I think the Brazilian government has explained that the deadline is to give bidders "more time," but they have so far avoided mentioning any specific changes to the terms as part of the extended deadline. Seems like they will have to, or they will end up back in the same place... This project seems like a huge risk, but the government was trying to shift all of it onto the winning team.
Brazil is not behind the times so I am sure the date must be April 2011.

HigerBigger no está en línea   Reply With Quote