daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 12th, 2017, 12:29 PM   #201
The Polman

Likes (Received): 778

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOOPS View Post
The other one is the excess of photos and videos.
Good reason: when it is about countries with actual news then it is mostly news, things you want to see or hear, and images show something new actually. To show the opposite: Some railway topics are mostly a clickbait as I barely find anything really new on it, despite the fact that a lot happens, though sadly without notice on SSC. All these electrifications, double-tracking, change of timetables, but mostly there is some picture or video about things that exist for years. I can find that anywhere on the world wide web.

What is the thing in the Indonesian thread which I follow actively is that many new things happen and they are very well-documented which is in contrast to other threads and very good. But sometimes I really can't see the forest anymore because of the trees, especially on the Jakarta airport thread: I cannot find anything new about a planned runway.

At the other side, every picture of construction of the trans-Java toll road network is amazingly interesting, keeping a transportation freak like me on the edge of the seat discovering more things that lead to a new step towards completion. But eh, when was the opening date of the Solo-Sragen toll road?

Prohibit the construction of new single-family dwellings without stacking apartments in Amsterdam (A10), Rotterdam (motorway ring), The Hague, Utrecht (outer ring), Eindhoven (ring), Tilburg (ringbanen) and Groningen (provincial ring)!

And prohibit the use of agricultural land for new dwellings!

Zaz965 liked this post
The Polman está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2017, 02:42 AM   #202
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 9974

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrtn2 View Post
Unfortunately there are cheap flights from Sao Paulo to Rio De Janeiro, people like planes instead trains
For 440 km? Even a moderately fast train service can do that in 3 hours. People within 4-5 km around the terminal stations will have no reason to use the hassle of plane travel.

Zaz965 liked this post
Robi_damian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 03:20 AM   #203
Yuri S Andrade

Likes (Received): 19415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi_damian View Post
For 440 km? Even a moderately fast train service can do that in 3 hours. People within 4-5 km around the terminal stations will have no reason to use the hassle of plane travel.
São Paulo is almost 800m above sea level. Rio de Janeiro is by the ocean. Brazilian landscape is not very easy. If I'm not mistaken, São Paulo-Rio de Janeiro, counting all the airports, it's the busiest air route in the world.

There is an official project for a high speed train between Campinas-São Paulo-Rio de Janeiro, but it's on hold due the current crisis.
Yuri S Andrade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 06:00 PM   #204
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1030

But going up 800m over the course of ~400km should be doable, even if it would mean a persistent, relatively steep grade.

The busiest air route in the world is a variable thing, depending on what's measured (aircraft mvmnts, domestic vs. international boardings, etc.), but usually the Seoul-Jeju route is cited as the busiest; SP-RJ wins by aircraft mvmnts.

There is ongoing discussion of an undersea tunnel to connect Jeju to the mainland, and allow Seoul-Jeju HSR. If Korea (or Japan, or France/UK) can build an undersea tunnel many km's long, I'm sure Brazil could (with some help) manage that change in altitude. We'll just have to see what happens after things have settled down, but a SP-RJ HSR does make sense.

JuaanAcosta, Zaz965 liked this post
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2017, 04:31 AM   #205
Short

Likes (Received): 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri S Andrade View Post
São Paulo is almost 800m above sea level. Rio de Janeiro is by the ocean. Brazilian landscape is not very easy. If I'm not mistaken, São Paulo-Rio de Janeiro, counting all the airports, it's the busiest air route in the world.

There is an official project for a high speed train between Campinas-São Paulo-Rio de Janeiro, but it's on hold due the current crisis.
I have travelled on the Chinese Lanzhou-Xinjiang High Speed railway which is able to climb from Lanzhou to over 1,500m and then descends down again to Zhangye in around 500km. This is through major mountain ranges and geological faultlines. So there is no excuse for Brazil, except the typical political will and funding.
Short no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2017, 07:34 PM   #206
paulista1978

Likes (Received): 3091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariwa View Post
Hi Friends

I am railroad fan and retired sailor from Poland. I enjoyed some short rail trips in Ecuador, Brazil and Chile before, when sailed on board various merchant ships. Now I have enough time (and saved some money for it) to look closer at the railways on your continent. Nowadays the railway network in South America is like a patchwork and to set up a clever plan of my trip I need a truthful info about the railroads which are still in operation. May you advise me active passenger and cargo railroads and it’s operators in Brazil? I will be very grateful for your help.

Best Regards & All the Best in New Year
Maybe you will appreciate ARgentina. The trains are old though. In my opinion the best countries to travel by rail are Bolivia and Peru (Cuzco-Macchu Pichu line). In Argentina there are trains from Buenos Aires to Bariloche and Mar del Plata. As far as I know in Brazil you only have Carajas (I bit dirty), Vitoria-BH (Very cool. I travelled before) and some short trips, like Curitiba-Morretes, Tiradentes-Mariana and Bento Gonçalves.
paulista1978 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2017, 07:48 PM   #207
paulista1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
But going up 800m over the course of ~400km should be doable, even if it would mean a persistent, relatively steep grade.

The busiest air route in the world is a variable thing, depending on what's measured (aircraft mvmnts, domestic vs. international boardings, etc.), but usually the Seoul-Jeju route is cited as the busiest; SP-RJ wins by aircraft mvmnts.

There is ongoing discussion of an undersea tunnel to connect Jeju to the mainland, and allow Seoul-Jeju HSR. If Korea (or Japan, or France/UK) can build an undersea tunnel many km's long, I'm sure Brazil could (with some help) manage that change in altitude. We'll just have to see what happens after things have settled down, but a SP-RJ HSR does make sense.
I think he cited it because of the cost of scrapping tunnels and to build bridges, and not to be "impossible". Brazil´s budget is a mess right now and no wonder when we´ll back on track again. But according to predicted number of pax, it´s viable.
Quote:
SP-RJ wins by aircraft mvmnts.
Sao Paulo and Rio´s central airports have restriction to operating aircraft. In Sao Paulo´s CGH the maximum operating aircrafts are A320 and B737-800. Rio´s SDU the maximum is the B737-8 with winglets (A320 are not allowed by now).
Old August 29th, 2017, 07:53 PM   #208
rodineisilveira

Likes (Received): 518

My aunties traveled by train from Curitiba to Paranaguá

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulista1978 View Post
Maybe you will appreciate ARgentina. The trains are old though. In my opinion the best countries to travel by rail are Bolivia and Peru (Cuzco-Macchu Pichu line). In Argentina there are trains from Buenos Aires to Bariloche and Mar del Plata. As far as I know in Brazil you only have Carajas (I bit dirty), Vitoria-BH (Very cool. I travelled before) and some short trips, like Curitiba-Morretes, Tiradentes-Mariana and Bento Gonçalves.
Wasn't the Curitiba-Morretes route exactly the Curitiba-Paranaguá route?
My aunties Clara (a.k.a. Nêga) and Nilda traveled by train in the Curitiba-Paranaguá route.
The rail diesel cars (RDC, assembled by Budd) also are used on this route.
This route is operated by ALL (América Latina Logística).

Last edited by rodineisilveira; August 29th, 2017 at 07:58 PM.
rodineisilveira está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2017, 08:18 PM   #209
paulista1978

The the trip to Paranagua was resumed. Curitiba-Morretes route is still running everyday. Anyway, the jewel of the crown is crossing the mountains of "Serra do Mar".

https://serraverdeexpress.com.br/trem-regular/