daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 4th, 2011, 11:28 AM   #81
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57840

^ I agree. If there are valid sources proving the documentation (about 64 million empty living units in China) I posted spreads false information, I'll rethink.

Before someone is able to do that, all I say is: Everybody get outta China, it's going to blow up epically!

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #82
BiaMartins
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

BiaMartins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 01:04 AM   #83
naziem

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
Bagan or Pagan, the former capital city of Myanmar (Burma):

http://tourism-myanmar.com/images/bagan6.jpg
wow, interesting! :O
naziem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 01:40 AM   #84
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Likes (Received): 7543

Agdam (Azerbaijan) after armenian occupation

Old August 8th, 2011, 02:51 AM   #85
BiaMartins
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

scary!!!
BiaMartins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #86
Zegarkowy
user

Likes (Received): 28414

fantastic
Zegarkowy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 11:02 PM   #87
Kopacz

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
^ I agree. If there are valid sources proving the documentation (about 64 million empty living units in China) I posted spreads false information, I'll rethink.

Before someone is able to do that, all I say is: Everybody get outta China, it's going to blow up epically!
I think 64 million is a bit too much since it would take dozens of thousands buildings, but with all the constructions going on, the amount must be getting really high really fast.
I wonder why they don't move some of the constructions to other countries - they would get money and keep constructions going on
Seriously, there is such a need for living places here in Poland, we will soon begin losing space due to technical problems.
Anyway, I think that for China it's nothing serious because they have so much income from the production, it will all even out and just leave them with less extra money to spend.

Back to ghost towns, some from Poland :

Kłomino :

Pstrąże :

Kopacz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #88
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

For me Pripyat will always be the no.1 abandoned city in the world. The radiation levels have decreased by a lot in the last quarter of a century but I still wouldn't risk visiting it. That and then there is of course the problem of how to get past the Brain Scorcher

Here are some pics I found in google:

image hosted on flickr

Pripyat, Chernobyl by blinkofaneye, on Flickr

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...om_Pripyat.JPG

Last edited by erbse; July 2nd, 2012 at 10:21 PM.
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #89
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Pripyat makes me sad. It's probably the scariest abandoned town there is.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 01:50 AM   #90
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Really interesting thread with loads of great impressions. A fascinating topic, really.

How about some "newly created" ghost towns, made by snappy investors?

China's Ghost Cities and Malls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPILhiTJv7E
That is unbelievable...

What a depressing example of China.

Taxi.driver.KG liked this post
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 02:31 AM   #91
MattN

Likes (Received): 91

Quite a lot of villages in Germany have been demolished or are in the process of being de-populated to make way for lignite mines. I'm going to visit some in Nordrhein-Westfalen with my mate in just over a week.
MattN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 06:35 AM   #92
Vocodr

Likes (Received): 211

The town of Acland, in the Australian state of Queensland, has been a ghost town since 2003, when a nearby coal mine bought most of the town with the intent of mining it. The town hasn't been mined yet (various legal challenges have held it up) but the buildings have fallen into disrepair and many of them have been stripped bare by looters from the nearby cities of Toowoomba and Brisbane.

What makes the Acland story especially poignant is that one man remains living in the town - Glen Beutel refused to sell his home to the mine and goes on living alone in the ghost town.

With all but one of the human residents gone, local wildlife is settling into the town, and koalas often to be found sitting comfortably up power poles.

Here are some pics I took in August 2010 (last two images by Glen Beutel):

More info on the town's demise, and a gallery with many more pics, can be found here:

http://www.thechronicle.com.au/story...n-beutel-last/
Vocodr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 07:36 AM   #93
OtAkAw
BUMMED

Likes (Received): 530

The photos here greatly remind me of zombie apocalypse movies and TV shows.
OtAkAw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 08:40 AM   #94
philip
The Picture Guy

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Really interesting thread with loads of great impressions. A fascinating topic, really.

How about some "newly created" ghost towns, made by snappy investors?

China's Ghost Cities and Malls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPILhiTJv7E
This video is so unprofessionally made and ridiculous on so many levels, I don't even want to waste my time explaining why.

But just remember this, for every sorrow story they report, there are thousands more success stories they could have reported that would be far more educational. Doing a segment about how a poor Chinese woman established a recycling business that made her now one of the riches ladies in the world is far more educational than asking a low common denominator why a mall is not making money. And yet you don’t see those inspirational stories reported. If a country’s media only nip pick the bad stories on foreign countries and feed them to its people, then that country will be on its way to decline.

Do we see Asian reporters going to Compton, California and asking the poorest black residents how they think about government policies? Or going to Detroit and report on how many buildings are abandoned in the downtown area which may signal the collapse of the US industry in the most remote possibility? Or asking a McDonald worker in New York why he can't buy a home in Manhattan? No, because the reponse will of course be negative. So the intention of even doing such a news segment is really questionable.

Last edited by philip; June 30th, 2012 at 08:57 AM.
philip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 09:54 AM   #95
Yousef23

Likes (Received): 13

City Kadykchan located in Russia in the Magadan region.

Kadykchan originated during the Great Patriotic War as an industrial community with the company for the extraction of coal.
In September 1996, the mine exploded, killing 6 people. After the explosion, the mine was closed.
Homes mothballed by disabling them from the heat and electricity. Almost all of the private sector was burned to prevent people from returning.
Quote:

Yousef23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #96
Kopacz

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip View Post
This video is so unprofessionally made and ridiculous on so many levels, I don't even want to waste my time explaining why.

But just remember this, for every sorrow story they report, there are thousands more success stories they could have reported that would be far more educational. Doing a segment about how a poor Chinese woman established a recycling business that made her now one of the riches ladies in the world is far more educational than asking a low common denominator why a mall is not making money. And yet you don’t see those inspirational stories reported. If a country’s media only nip pick the bad stories on foreign countries and feed them to its people, then that country will be on its way to decline.

Do we see Asian reporters going to Compton, California and asking the poorest black residents how they think about government policies? Or going to Detroit and report on how many buildings are abandoned in the downtown area which may signal the collapse of the US industry in the most remote possibility? Or asking a McDonald worker in New York why he can't buy a home in Manhattan? No, because the reponse will of course be negative. So the intention of even doing such a news segment is really questionable.
I think you're missing something bigger here. It's not about the man in the shop not being very nimble on the market, it's about the government and construction investors doing something wrong. I can't help but awe over the supertall constructions and gorgeous apartments in China, but it's not going to help the country. Whatever they do, they still will be profitable, but it's impossible to fill every city with such expensive housing.
They also could go to the USA and say they messed up on many levels with construction overload, but the thing is, they are over it. I've been to New York and Los Angeles and I cannot find examples of excessive construction. China is probably already filled with enough tall buildings literally for years to come, simply because the society won't be able to earn enough money this generation, no matter what happens.
In my city for example, a new shopping mall is considered a failure because it wasn't filled in 100% within half a year since its opening. If you took yearly earnings into consideration, it would seem that a noticeable chunk of the society is wealthier than in China, but we do not get the same amount of new constructions (housing and business). If there is a shortage of buildings, something isn't right, but if there's shortage of people, something is really not right.
Kopacz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 11:22 PM   #97
cloud32

Likes (Received): 67

Well, I'm really surprised this isn't on here yet:

The booming tourist section of the (still inhabited) port of Famagusta on the island of Cyprus was quickly evacuated when the Turkish Army invaded the Northern half of the island in 1974. This led many of the Greek residents to flee the area and leave their buisnesses and homes behind. The area is now in the UN controlled buffer zone between the Turkish north and Greek south, which prevents the residents from returning, to but it briefly. Here is the wikipedia article for more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varosha,_Famagusta

Heres another interesting website with many images:

http://sometimes-interesting.com/201...gusta-cypress/

EDIT: I've been trying to put some before and after shots streight onto this post but i've been trying for an hour and cant work it out. Those links have pretty good images anyway

Last edited by cloud32; June 30th, 2012 at 11:57 PM.
cloud32 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 11:48 PM   #98
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

This town, Kijong-dong, like almost everything else in North Korea, was built for the sole purpose of propaganda, but it failed. Nobody has ever lived in it.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 10:25 PM   #99
erbse
LIBERTINED

It's amazing to see how fast nature reclaims abandoned towns.

Once humanity would be wiped out from Earth or abandon the planet for some reason, you couldn't even notice most urban places after some hundred years anymore. Vegetation would cover most places after 50 years already.

There wouldn't be much evidence left a highly developed species inhabited Earth once, in a million years.

Old July 2nd, 2012, 10:31 PM   #100
erbse
LIBERTINED

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip View Post
This video is so unprofessionally made and ridiculous on so many levels, I don't even want to waste my time explaining why. (...)
I think the main reason such things should be reported is to raise awareness and sensibility for issues regarding the real estate sector. After all it was the main cause for 2008 crisis and credit crunch. And now that we're merely going on like that everywhere in the world it could become a root of a new global crisis.

People should bear in mind that media tries to raise awareness for wrong allocations and dramatizes problems to get attention to those. After all, media isn't all that bad. It has a legitimate function of informing the majority about problematic circumstances and for everyone to improve such.