daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 20th, 2010, 01:30 AM   #1
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3763

Mainz - Nightsky’s trip to central Germany

Mainz is a twin city to Wiesbaden, that is located on the opposite side of the famous River Rhein and is only 30 minutes by train from Frankfurt. It is the capital of the federal state Rhineland-Palatine. River Main is connected to Rhein in Mainz. Mainz is over 2000 years old and the first European books printed using movable type were manufactured in Mainz by Gutenberg in the early 1450s. Mainz is also famous for its large cathedral. The Old Town has many nice historic buildings in different styles, but unfortunately some ugly grey 60s modernist buildings have been built on too many places since not all historic buildings have been rebuilt after the bombings during WWII. The heart of Altstadt is very cozy with its square, cathedral and alleys though. The city center is partly hilly. Mainz is also home of the Gutenberg University.

I was visiting Mainz as part of my Frankfurt visit. Before visiting Mainz, I had walked through Wiesbaden, so I was very tired when visiting the hilly streets of Mainz. The weather was sunny and pretty warm for being in April. I went back to Frankfurt in the evening.

MAINZ ALTSTADT - THE OLD TOWN

The Old Town has many nice historic buildings in different styles, but unfortunately some ugly grey 60s modernist buildings have been built on too many
places. The heart of Altstadt is very cozy with its square, cathedral and alleys though. The city center is partly hilly.

The Schiller statue at Schillerplatz. Friedrich Schiller was a German poet, philosofer, historican and playwright in the 18th-19th centuries, friend with Goethe.

Ostheimer Hof at Schillerplatz, a very nice place to sit and relax.

The Fastnachtsbrunnen (Carneval Fountain) at Schillerplatz was built in 1967 by Blasius Spreng. It is 8.5m high and is made of bronze. It has about 200 symbols of
grotesque fantasy figures of the Mainz Fastnacht.

Bassenheimer Hof seen from Schillerplatz.

Ludwigsstrasse, that leads to the cathedral from Schillerplatz, has too many grey modernist buildings.

The curvy Gaustrasse.

Church of St-Stephan is a gothic hall collegiate church. The current church dates back to 1340.

Holzhof at Weissliliengasse. Some kind of palace with a garden.

St Ignaz, a baroque church.

Holzturm (wood tower), a tower at the former wood market from the 14th century.

Augustinerstrasse, the beautiful main street of Altstadt, the Old Town.

Augustinerkirche (St Augustine's Church) is a splendid rococo church, unfortunately closed when I was there. It is located on the narrow Augustinerstrasse. The current
church was completed in 1772.

Kirschgarten. Nice half-timbered houses at the northern end of Augustinerstrasse.

Kirschgarten, "cherry street", is a small alley that probably got its name from the cherry trees.

Towards the Dom.

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Last edited by Nightsky; July 21st, 2010 at 12:31 PM.
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2010, 01:31 AM   #2
Nightsky
Illustrator

Marktplatz, or Domplatz, is the square in the heart of historical Mainz where the Dom (cathedral) and Gutenberg museum is located. It has an impressive collection of beautifully decorated buildings and sculptures.

Mainz Cathedral of St Martin, or simply the Dom, is the heart of historical Mainz and the city's foremost landmark. This 1000 year old church was built predomantly in Romanesque style.

Marktplatz is the square where the Dom is located. It has many beautiful historical buildings.

Mainz Cathedral of St Martin from the square Marktplatz. It is a Roman Catholic cathedral.

Gutenbergplatz, next to Marktplatz. To the left is the Gutenberg Museum.

Gutenberg Museum. The first European books printed using movable type were manufactured in Mainz by Johann Gutenberg in the early 1450s.

Ludwigsstrasse seen from Marktplatz.

More photos and text from my visit to Mainz:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net/Mainz.html

Old July 20th, 2010, 01:47 AM   #3
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

I didn't realize Mainz was this hilly. Interesting to see though how Wiesbaden escaped major damage while Mainz was hit relatively hard.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 12:27 PM   #4
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244609

From those photos Mainz town looking really good, great; thanks for sharing those photos
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 07:25 PM   #5
jeromeee

Likes (Received): 48

Mainz truly is a cute town and especially the old town has a very nice atmosphere.
I have to say that I like it even more than Wiesbaden which surely has the finer historical buildings but the whole atmosphere (especially the people) is much colder than in Mainz which is really "gemütlich" with nice people on the streets (seems to be a effect of the carnival). And not to forget the amazing cathedral!
jeromeee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 11:53 AM   #6
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

Nice photos there thanks Oh, you may want to add a 0 to the age of Mainz in your first post. I think you accidentally missed one.

Despite only 10minutes from Wiesbaden, Mainz is like a world away. Actually, I do prefer Wiesbaden, but Mainz is still a pleasant place. It is quite hilly though it doesn't feel somehow as complete. It lacks, or at least it seems to me, something which all cities generally have and that's a central park of some sort. If there is one, please let me know as I have never found it.

Mainz also seems much more working class than Wiesbaden, not a problem or anything, but it does lack the class of Wiesbaden. That said, with its tram network, it has the upper edge in terms of public transport where Wiesbaden is limited pretty much to buses, an odd thing for a city of it's size in Germany.

I was always pretty disappointed with the river frontage in Mainz. When I first visited 10 years or so ago, it seemed to mainly be car parks and little else. Since then a basic riverside walk has been built which is a great improvement, though not very inspirational in design. Frankfurt's riverfront is certainly more pleasant, despite the Rhein being so much larger a river. Maybe that is also part of the problem, and maybe also that there is pretty much nothing on the otherside to look at.

Mainz is definitely worth a visit if you have a few days in Frankfurt, but if time was limited, I would suggest a visit to Wiesbaden instead, or of cause, as Nightsky done it, one can fit both cities in the same day but I agree this is a bit tiring.

Looking at these photos makes me realize I should pop over again soon. Maybe the weekend after next.
Old July 21st, 2010, 12:40 PM   #7
Nightsky
Illustrator

Thanks for comments!

The closest thing you come to a park is Kaiserstrasse (more of that later):

I think there are more mixed people in Mainz then in Wiesbaden, that has older and richer people. I
'm not sure that they are cold though.
Mainz is more alarming with shouting crowds of teenagars (at least when I was there).
I agree that the riverfront is a bit grey in Mainz, more of that later, next is Altstadt.

Old July 21st, 2010, 12:44 PM   #8
Nightsky
Illustrator

Delete

Last edited by Nightsky; July 23rd, 2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old July 21st, 2010, 07:51 PM   #9
jeromeee

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
Nice photos there thanks Oh, you may want to add a 0 to the age of Mainz in your first post. I think you accidentally missed one.

Despite only 10minutes from Wiesbaden, Mainz is like a world away. Actually, I do prefer Wiesbaden, but Mainz is still a pleasant place. It is quite hilly though it doesn't feel somehow as complete. It lacks, or at least it seems to me, something which all cities generally have and that's a central park of some sort. If there is one, please let me know as I have never found it.

Mainz also seems much more working class than Wiesbaden, not a problem or anything, but it does lack the class of Wiesbaden. That said, with its tram network, it has the upper edge in terms of public transport where Wiesbaden is limited pretty much to buses, an odd thing for a city of it's size in Germany.

I was always pretty disappointed with the river frontage in Mainz. When I first visited 10 years or so ago, it seemed to mainly be car parks and little else. Since then a basic riverside walk has been built which is a great improvement, though not very inspirational in design. Frankfurt's riverfront is certainly more pleasant, despite the Rhein being so much larger a river. Maybe that is also part of the problem, and maybe also that there is pretty much nothing on the otherside to look at.

Mainz is definitely worth a visit if you have a few days in Frankfurt, but if time was limited, I would suggest a visit to Wiesbaden instead, or of cause, as Nightsky done it, one can fit both cities in the same day but I agree this is a bit tiring.

Looking at these photos makes me realize I should pop over again soon. Maybe the weekend after next.
Your right that Wiesbaden is much more upper class than Mainz which people are more working and middle class but I think especially the lots of university students define the population you can see on the streets. Nightsky already mentioned that the average age is much younger than in Wiesbaden and I would say also younger than in Frankfurt.

That's what I like about Rhein-Main: you can choose whether you want the glamorous feel of Wiesbaden, Bad Homburg, F-Westend or the young college and 'gemütlich' feel of Mainz (+Fastnacht!) and parts of Frankfurt or the busy citylife of downtown Frankfurt.

As a central park can be the Volkspark mentioned which is unfortunately a little back south of the old town.

@Nightsky: I think you took the wrong photos, you have already posted them at the beginning.
jeromeee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 08:05 PM   #10
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromeee View Post
Your right that Wiesbaden is much more upper class than Mainz which people are more working and middle class but I think especially the lots of university students define the population you can see on the streets. Nightsky already mentioned that the average age is much younger than in Wiesbaden and I would say also younger than in Frankfurt.

That's what I like about Rhein-Main: you can choose whether you want the glamorous feel of Wiesbaden, Bad Homburg, F-Westend or the young college and 'gemütlich' feel of Mainz (+Fastnacht!) and parts of Frankfurt or the busy citylife of downtown Frankfurt.

As a central park can be the Volkspark mentioned which is unfortunately a little back south of the old town.

@Nightsky: I think you took the wrong photos, you have already posted them at the beginning.
The university crowds do indeed bring extra life into Mainz, and that is always a good thing.

I've seen that Volkspark on the map and guessed it was the closest to a city park that Mainz has, but it seems so far out of town and so small, also being hidden behind the railway line it looks more like a suburban park.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 04:36 PM   #11
Nightsky
Illustrator

@jeromeee: You´re right, this is the one I was supposed to post:

Old July 23rd, 2010, 04:37 PM   #12
Nightsky
Illustrator

NORTHERN PART OF THE CITY CENTER AND THE RIVER BANK OF RHINE

In the northern part of the city center, you can find the river banks of Rhine, Rheinstrasse, the Landestag, the famous Electoral Palace, museums,
the city hall and Kaiserstrasse with its Christ Church. The area is a mix of grey modernist buildings and historical baroque buildings.

Theodor-Heuss-Brücke goes over River Rhine (Rhein) to the district Kastel in the city of Wiesbaden. It is possible to walk over the bridge, but I had no power
left after a whole day of walking.

Relaxing at the River Rhine, that departs the state Rheinland-Falch from Hesse.

The City Hall of Mainz (Rathaus) from 1973 was designed by the famous Danish architect/designer Arne Jacobsen and Otto Weitling and built with Swedish marble.
It looks very cold and horribly uninviting in my opinion.

Ugly or not, it is at least architecturally special?

Rheingoldhalle, a congress center, and Hilton hotel, was built in the same stiff style as the city hall, but is more boring.

Deutschhaus, a baroque palace from 1740, is the seat of the state Rhineland-Palatinate Landtag.

St Cristoph, a ruined church. It was bombed by the allied ones during WWII.

Last edited by Nightsky; July 27th, 2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old July 27th, 2010, 11:02 PM   #13
Nightsky
Illustrator

Roman-Germanic Central Museum.

Museum?

Petruskirche.

Deutschhaus, a baroque palace from 1740, is the seat of the state Rhineland-Palatinate Landtag.

Note the mountains of the Rhein Valley in the background, behind Rheinstrasse.

The gate between Rhein (Rhine) and Rheinstrasse.

The Electoral Palace (Kurfürstliches Schloss zu Mainz) is the former city residence of the Archbishop of Mainz, who was also Prince-Elector of his electoral state
within the Holy Roman Empire. It is one of the last and most important Renaissance buildings in Germany.

The Electoral Palace, here just before dusk, was built in 17th to 18th centuries. Parts of it were destroyed by Napoleon.

Old July 27th, 2010, 11:03 PM   #14
Nightsky
Illustrator

What do you think about the riverbank and the castle?

Old July 29th, 2010, 01:57 AM   #15
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

BEAUTIFUL, all of it!!!!!!
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #16
Nightsky
Illustrator

AROUND THE STATION AND KAISERSTRASSE

This part is about the around from the railway station at Alicienplatz/Bahnhofplatz to Kaiserstrasse, the boulevard that leads to the renaissance Christ
Church, and Schillerstrasse, that leads to Schillerplatz and the Old Town.

Hauptbahnhof, the Main Railway Station, where I arrived is located in the west edge of the city center.

Alicenplatz (Bahnhofplatz) in front of the station with the twin Bonifazius Turm A+B (95m, 24 floors), the city's tallest buildings.

Bassenheimer Hof.

Old August 24th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #17
Nightsky
Illustrator

Towards Christuskirche.

Christuskirche is located on the northeast end of the relaxed bouelavard Kaiserstrasse with a park in the middle. It is located a bit off the touristy quarters, so it feels
like a hidden gem. Christuskirche (Christ Church), probably Mainz's most underrated sight, was built 1898–1903, bombed during WWII in 1945 and rebuilt in 1948–1954.

Kaiserstrasse towards Christkirche.

Bonifazius Turm A+B (95m, 24 floors), the city's tallest buildings. They were built in 1978.

Old August 25th, 2010, 01:52 AM   #18
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Likes (Received): 3275

The Christuskirche is really outstanding! It's a very unique church in Germany I think.
Thank you for the pics! I like!
Dr.Seltsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #19
Nightsky
Illustrator

Yes it's a kind of church you rarely see in Germany.

Old August 25th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #20
Terpentin07

Likes (Received): 28

What a shame that this city was so heavily damaged after the war.I think i would be nicer than Wiesbaden.
Terpentin07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote