daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 1st, 2007, 06:37 AM   #241
bayviews

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainman Dave View Post
I seem to remember that funding has been approved for new trains on BART. Is this true?
Well, I heard a few days ago that BART has proposed a maximum 15 minute headway on all lines. Presently, during some times of the day the headways on some lines can be as long as 20 or 25 minutes. I'm guessing they would get the additional cars by shortening some of the trains rather than adding more cars. The ridership on the SFO extension finally seems to have picked up, so that would get more service. But the implementation won't happen until the beginning of 2008.
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2007, 02:10 PM   #242
Bobdreamz

Likes (Received): 2850

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesMetroBoy View Post
ok my rant is over. And miami needs a serious expansion into hileah and some of the poorer areas (stereotyping i know) cuz right now, the metrorail is empty.
Metrorail already goes to Hialeah and the trains are not empty, in fact they are packed at rush hours. Besides there are plans for expansions we just are awaiting federal funding. If you don't live here when was the last time you were in Miami?
Old June 2nd, 2007, 03:20 AM   #243
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 362

Really the only rail totals worth mentioning in the US is NYC.....BART is so overrated!
Rail totals-excluding commuter rail:
NYC-6228
Then we drop way down
DC-902.2
Boston-#'s weren't published this quarter but usually goes here.
Chicago-628.8
SF-481.9
Phili-317.5
Atlanta-253.3
LA-246
(average daily unlinked trips according to the APTA 4th quarter 2006)

Overall agency totals including bus and metrorail but excluding commuter:
NYC-8642.4
Chicago-1608
LA-1549.4(not counting the plethora of interagency busses)
DC-1344.2
Boston-usually here but didn't report
Phili-894.6
SF-765.6
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #244
LosAngelesMetroBoy

Likes (Received): 26

im back and forth between miami and LA, but i guess im not riding at rush hour

im used to la's 3-7 evening rush hour
LosAngelesMetroBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 09:47 AM   #245
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn

Likes (Received): 5

Questions regarding alternative fuel transit buses in U.S.

Does anyone know where I could find information comparing the emissions, operational costs, and, most importantly, the exterior/interior noise levels of alternative fuel buses available in the United States?

Does anyone know if Biodiesel has any effect on the noise produced by the bus? What about hybrid engines? CNG? Fuel cell buses?

I have been searching online for some time without much luck. Noise level is not generally considered a very important characteristic to focus on for transit buses in the United States. Any help is appreciated.
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #246
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 2598

Metro Transit, the bus agency for King County, Washington, (includes Seattle) is buying 500 new buses as part of the recent "transit now" improvement package. Most will be articulated hybrids.

http://www.metrokc.gov/exec/news/2007/0516bus.aspx
http://www.metrokc.gov/kcdot/transitnow/

Quiet is an issue transit agencies don't seem to care about. I'm flabbergasted about this. The general engine noise isn't the main problem. It's the beeping noises. Some buses hydraulically lower themselves a few inches at every stop, and in the US this means they need extremely loud warning beepers every time they do this. Imagine living next to a bus stop where an "alarm clock" goes off every time a bus comes. This is very discouraging for people who want to live in dense communities. Wheelchair lifts also make the same beeps. I'm ok with the concept of beepers, but they don't need to wake the dead 100 feet away.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #247
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1084

why do they have to beep?
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 08:19 PM   #248
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn

I think it is a safetey thing but I am not sure. The United States has wierd safetey regulations when it comes to buses and trains. Not cars, though.
Old August 10th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #249
RawLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukee-kÝbenhavn View Post
I think it is a safetey thing but I am not sure. The United States has wierd safetey regulations when it comes to buses and trains. Not cars, though.
Ours have to beep too,when they reversing, or closing the door. But for lowering the bus...are they afraid of someone might step "under" the bus?
Old August 10th, 2007, 01:03 PM   #250
icracked
Kulia I Ka Nu'u

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Metro Transit, the bus agency for King County, Washington, (includes Seattle) is buying 500 new buses as part of the recent "transit now" improvement package. Most will be articulated hybrids.

http://www.metrokc.gov/exec/news/2007/0516bus.aspx
http://www.metrokc.gov/kcdot/transitnow/

Quiet is an issue transit agencies don't seem to care about. I'm flabbergasted about this. The general engine noise isn't the main problem. It's the beeping noises. Some buses hydraulically lower themselves a few inches at every stop, and in the US this means they need extremely loud warning beepers every time they do this. Imagine living next to a bus stop where an "alarm clock" goes off every time a bus comes. This is very discouraging for people who want to live in dense communities. Wheelchair lifts also make the same beeps. I'm ok with the concept of beepers, but they don't need to wake the dead 100 feet away.
Honolulu's GM/New Flyer/Gillig hybrid buses can run virtually silent and of course, not going over 20-30 MPH. Quit generalizing about the U.S., the United States is a massive country unlike those tiny-small-dot like European nations. Buses wildly differ from city to city, state to state.
Old August 10th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #251
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by icracked View Post
Honolulu's GM/New Flyer/Gillig hybrid buses can run virtually silent and of course, not going over 20-30 MPH. Quit generalizing about the U.S., the United States is a massive country unlike those tiny-small-dot like European nations. Buses wildly differ from city to city, state to state.
European cities and other cities around the world have more variety of bus models and body types even within just one city. US on the other hand, transit buses across the country are made by a few manufactures including New Flyer, Gillig and GM (who is phasing out.) Even there are different length, articulated or not, but the buses come from the same manufacture all looks alike. US has a lot less variety on buses models and body types.
Old August 10th, 2007, 07:39 PM   #252
RawLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
European cities and other cities around the world have more variety of bus models and body types even within just one city. US on the other hand, transit buses across the country are made by a few manufactures including New Flyer, Gillig and GM (who is phasing out.) Even there are different length, articulated or not, but the buses come from the same manufacture all looks alike. US has a lot less variety on buses models and body types.
Yep. just a few manufacturers: Mercedes,Renault,Skoda,ikarus,Volvo.
they make single,articulated,double articulated,trolley,articulated trolley,coach,military,police buses. Ikarus alone had in its history(100 years) like 10 distinctly different types,half of them still running.
Old August 10th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #253
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn

Scania, Setra, MAN, VanHool, Irisbus... Then there's the British companies.
Old August 10th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #254
RawLee

But on topic, the only spot on biofuel consumption,that it makes the city smell like french fries. And a bit more is consumed.
Old August 14th, 2007, 02:00 AM   #255
LosAngelesMetroBoy

Likes (Received): 26

wait, are they really having deisel hybrids. Thats a total waste, the energy it takes to start a diesel engine is more than you save by hybriding it, and if your running gasoline then its even worse the diesel. the only fuel a hybrid bus would even make sense to use is natural gas. and even then it dosent make much sense
LosAngelesMetroBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 04:09 AM   #256
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

the united states is going mass transit and big time

yes finally as i notice in alot of cities its starting to take advantage of public tranpsortation and big time they are

Portland is getting better now with public transport and that

alanita is growing with expansions of their rail system and purpose a muiltimodel facilty

Charollete is getting a light rail system and will expand on it

miami has a metrorail system and it will expanded big in the future and its planned

as i notice too alot of cities are driving towards mass transit which is good and well i am hoping that the united states gets a nation wide high speed rail and fixes its rail and road infrustruce

anyways i know that its going to this and well its a good thing any opinions
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 04:24 AM   #257
Songoten2554

they say thats its been jumping since 50 years ago and that stuffs so thats good and it should contiune to grow since airports are getting congested and so is highways then yeah public transport is the awsner i think?
Old September 5th, 2007, 04:25 AM   #258
Northsider

Likes (Received): 121

I agree that the US is starting to realize the potential of transit...merely because of the environmental buzz going around lately I think.

However, if you look at the numbers, nationally transit account for something like 2% of commuting trips. That is garbage. In NYC, the best transit (at least most used) in the US has 'only' 54% mode share. I still think the US is very auto-centric and will stay that way.

With the way most cities are arranged, and with suburban sprawl transit is almost useless unless a better land use design is used. No longer does transit take you to a central location, where transit is most effective. Now that there are multiple suburban centers of business, how do you plan transit?
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 05:20 AM   #259
Songoten2554

well alot of cities have been planning rail transit and been building them since 30 years

look at los angeles they dicommished the light rail line to the long beach in the 1960's but then in the 1990's rail transport came back with the blue line and then the red line and so on so it grew and its still growing which is good and will grow the network as big as New York

i am pretty sure that the united states is joining the rest of the globe that transit is good
Old September 5th, 2007, 05:30 AM   #260
Northsider

Likes (Received): 121

We'll see, I am not convinced though. Just because they build it doesn't mean people will use it. Denver and Dallas come to mind with success stories of their light rail projects. 60,400 and 58,200 weekday riders respectively for each. How many people does the Dallas region have? 1.5 million? That means under 4% of weekday work trips are made by their light rail. This is hardly the direction Europe is taking, or Asian cities. Sure light rail is coming back, but how successful can they be when cities have already sprawled out beyond the means of effective transit?
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote