daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 9th, 2005, 11:02 PM   #21
Evangelion
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

sure the el is aesthetically pleasing but i cant believe some of you put chicago's as one of the best
i hate taking the el here, its so frustrating, theres always delays(i used to take it almost every morning and evening to and from school/work and i can say 1/2 the times there was delays some even lasting up to 20-30 mins)/it goes slow as hell (for some areas it goes like 5 mph)/its never comes on schedule/it smells/its loud

i just wish they would tear it down and build somethin a bit more modern, cleaner, and underground. It looks nice but that comes with a big price.

Last edited by Evangelion; June 10th, 2005 at 02:04 AM.
Evangelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2005, 12:44 AM   #22
rise_against
Olde Guard

Likes (Received): 8

i like Toronto's more than NYC less delays
rise_against no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 03:22 AM   #23
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 860

Ottawa's is pretty good for a bus-only system. Calgary Transit {inc Ctrain} is fantastic for a city of just over a mil.
Remember that the best transit is not only ridership but also extensiveness, pratical RT, cleanliness, safety, service levels etc..................
Lets hear from some mid size cities as well.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 03:36 AM   #24
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

Ottawa isnt "bus only" what about the O-train

Old June 10th, 2005, 03:48 AM   #25
canada_habs2004
Skyscraper

Likes (Received): 1

I like the variety in Toronto, ie Streetcar, Subway, Bus, GO-Train, Taxi...
plus Toronto has the PATH, that huge underground foot link that spreads throughout the entire downtown.
canada_habs2004 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 04:05 AM   #26
EdZed

Likes (Received): 0

^ Calgary sort of has the same as Toronto's path but its called the plus 15 and it is a network of 15 foot high bridges that connect the towers in Calgary.
Also is the O-Train a commuter train?
EdZed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 04:10 AM   #27
Grey Towers

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roch5220
I wouldn't put NYC MTA near the top. Too many problems, its really irritating. Its one thing to have a great network, and another to have poor service/frequencies. Atleast with the smaller networks, service is a lot better and for where a subway doesn't go, you can make adequate alternative arrangements vs. having your trip travel time double.
True, but NYC has by far the most extensive, far-reaching subway system in N.A. That's an important start. Once the infrastructure is in place, it can always be improved.
Here in T.O., although the ridership numbers are impressive, imagine how much better they (and the air quality) would be if planners had initially had better foresight/more money.
Grey Towers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 05:13 AM   #28
ssiguy2

Yes, I know about the OTrain and I should have included it but carrying just 6,000 passengers on a small diesel train on one track isn't highly noteworthy but I do stand corrected.
That said Ottawa is overwhelmingly bus especially with the Transitway.
Old June 10th, 2005, 05:15 AM   #29
ssiguy2

The plus 15/30 system in Calgary is great. I think the reason they didn't go underground like Tor/Mon is because Calgary has a very high water table.
Old June 10th, 2005, 06:04 AM   #30
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

im guessing it was about money and only money.
Old June 10th, 2005, 06:12 AM   #31
rise_against
Olde Guard

hey so what? if its works stick to it!!! Calagary has a great system
rise_against no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 06:35 AM   #32
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

yes i know its whats best for Calgary but generally subway is the best way to go(if you have the $$$)
Old June 10th, 2005, 06:51 AM   #33
Homer J. Simpson

Likes (Received): 18

In terms of effectiveness, the STM, TTC and MTA in NYC are the best. The CTA in Chicago is also pretty amazing. The only comment I have about each city and its PT system is that all of them are currently in need of something.

The TTC is the system I know best, and many people here know its issues. The subways are in good shape as they are not nearly as old as the networks in Chicago and NYC but the system needs some maintence in some areas as well as expantion.

Chicago and New York both have very old infrastructure that need to be replaced or refurbished.

As far as I can tell, the STM is in good shape all around but it is the system I know the least about.

It is easy to say all these systems are great but realistically I think that anybody here who represents any one of those cities can agree that each of them need improvement.

For smaller cities, Calgary is really the only one that comes to mind.

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." --John Stuart Mill

Special thanks to Ttownfeen for giving me the author of the quote above

To quote some wise men whos names I can not remember:

"Conservative politics is like masterbation, it takes a lot of jerking things around and only pays off for those who do it."
Homer J. Simpson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 06:52 AM   #34
EdZed

Likes (Received): 0

^
I am very happy that Calgary has not yet gone or did have a subway downtown. Then it would not be free to travel downtown and the fares would be more expensive also. Also have the lrt on the surface does not cause much travel problems as light sequences are as long as normal traffic intersections downtown. Also if we did have a subway we would have the same problem as Edmonton with a very short line and we probably would not have the NE and NW lines.
EdZed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 07:14 AM   #35
mad_nick

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by doady
Top 5 US-Canadian transit systems in terms of ridership (unlinked trips)

1. MTA New York City – 2553.3 million
2. Toronto Transit Commission – 723.3
3. Societe de transport de Montreal – 655.9 (2003)
4. Chicago Transportation Authority – 445.4
5. Los Angeles County MTA – 437.0
The New York figure doesn't include the private bus companies operating under contract with the the NYC DOT (the companies are currenty being acquried by the newly formed "MTA Bus").
Private bus companies (listed as NYC DOT in APTA stats): 102,119.7 (in thousands)
New total for NYC: 2,655.4 million
mad_nick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 03:48 PM   #36
nikko
Registered Yooser

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Right. "everyone knows it" YOu can save it for the tourist magazines. Obviously someone is obilvious to the impending subway crisis - especially when it has been highly publicized already. Here are just the recent operational irritants.

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5991
mate, theres no need for your bullshit.

I'm a transit enthusiast alright, so don't try and cut above me by attacking my personal opinions of the system. I've learned quite a bit about the MTA and despite the operational downfall of the system, it's one of the most interesting, extensive and well-utilised systems in the world. I based this on personal preference, seeing as I have acutally never had the opportunity to ride any North American systems.

Furthermore, considering one of the factors to consider was ridership, I think MTA easily take that one out.

Last edited by nikko; June 10th, 2005 at 03:56 PM.
nikko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 04:29 PM   #37
Roch5220
My dog rules

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikko
mate, theres no need for your bullshit.

I'm a transit enthusiast alright, .
LOL. So that makes you an expert eh. You obviously live in your own bubble vs people that use it every single day as their primary mode of transportation. I can tell you the variance of trip times is a lot higher taking the MTA vs. smaller, better mainatined and newer systems. If you are a real transit enthusiast and fan of the MTA, then you should have read already the impending subway crisis (which even with the operational issues currently, we are not in yet) that the system faces billions upon billions of dollars in mainteance that is not being done. The article in the New Yorker sums it up well.

With such an efficeint system, you'd probably wonder why the onslaught of taxies in Manhattan, on the popularity of it. If you ask the avg. New Yorker, they will tell more times than not that the MTA sucks. Customer satisfaction is LOW, a lot lower than other transit systems that have great coverage.

Last edited by Roch5220; June 10th, 2005 at 04:39 PM.
Roch5220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 04:32 PM   #38
Roch5220
My dog rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikko
Furthermore, considering one of the factors to consider was ridership, I think MTA easily take that one out.
Factors that you decided on? If you based your ranking on that then you should have let it known. If ridership is the primary factor, no need for this thread, the ridership list is all that is need.

I see why you think NYC is #1 here, more volume the better, with less emphasis on service.
Old June 10th, 2005, 04:48 PM   #39
nikko
Registered Yooser

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
LOL. So that makes you an expert eh. You obviously live in your own bubble vs people that use it every single day as their primary mode of transportation. I can tell you the variance of trip times is a lot higher taking the MTA vs. smaller, better mainatined and newer systems. If you are a real transit enthusiast and fan of the MTA, then you should have read already the impending subway crisis (which even with the operational issues currently, we are not in yet) that the system faces billions upon billions of dollars in mainteance that is not being done. The article in the New Yorker sums it up well.

With such an efficeint system, you'd probably wonder why the onslaught of taxies in Manhattan, on the popularity of it. If you ask the avg. New Yorker, they will tell more times than not that the MTA sucks. Customer satisfaction is LOW, a lot lower than other transit systems that have great coverage.
Okay, sure thing captain New York. Keep up the great work.
Old June 10th, 2005, 04:54 PM   #40
Roch5220
My dog rules

^ great response. keep on churning out the 'everybody knows' cause you think it arguments, oh yeah, and the "cause I'm a transit enthusist" arguments.