daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 2nd, 2008, 11:54 PM   #561
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Substructure View Post

I hope I'm not the only one here who noticed that the streetcar in this pic is literally identical to the one in Toronto.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #562
Homer J. Simpson

Likes (Received): 18

^It is not "literally identical", that is without any doubt a Toronto Transit Commission Canadian Light Rail Vehicle (CLRV for short).

Homer J. Simpson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #563
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10983

The US, and Canada for that matter, have to start somewhere. It seems that both nations are heading in the right direction. Unfortunately, some cities are much further behind than others and big obstacles stand in the way of realizing efficient sustainable urban plans.

With legislation passing in California, the transformation in Californian cities will be fascinating to watch unfold.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #564
Homer J. Simpson

^In North America in general you will not see that rapid of a change.

Far too many people still view living a smaller more urban dwelling as not desirable.
Old December 6th, 2008, 09:02 AM   #565
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10983

In the larger cities, I think we will see some significant movement. Municipal governments are finally seeing the wisdom in smarter planning.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 06:58 AM   #566
adrimm

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson View Post
^In North America in general you will not see that rapid of a change.

Far too many people still view living a smaller more urban dwelling as not desirable.
I think that the price of fuel (whether driven up by taxes or market value) will have alot to say. No one can deny that one summer of 1.5-2x more costy fuel impacted many people's lives, made living far away less desirable. Imagine if it stays there or gets more costly.

That and I think that younger people are rebelling against their parens & grandparents choice - that is by having interest in more central locations. The suburbs aren't special.
Old December 8th, 2008, 04:41 PM   #567
Homer J. Simpson

^Its a nice thought but optimistic I would say.

One of the issues is that too much employment has developed in the suburban areas and are not as likely to move based on fuel costs.

As such people are less likely to rush back into the city to lead more fuel efficient lives.

So far the trends shown in Canadian government stats (I'm sure the American ones are not that different) that people continue to undertake ever lengthening commutes while taking fewer elective trips.
Old December 8th, 2008, 06:42 PM   #568
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpa View Post
Wow! I thought that was a photo-shop. That actually existed? It's hard to believe- really hard to believe.
1980 or so. Oil was at 40 dollars a barrel, and everyone thought it was going to stay there. Houston was going to have 8 or 9 million in the metro by 2000, and it was all going to be around the car. Sure, rail was on the board, but that was going to be unnecessary, because everyone was making money hand over foot, and even the lowest paid refinery worker could afford a shiny new car.

Six years later, things are a ton different. No one has a job, half the banks are gone and most of the buildings that had started to infill the parking lot had been canceled (including one that may have been the tallest in the US; some at that time thought Houston was going to be the 21st Century's New York... there's a reason those were the two teams in Rollerball). A subway system starts to get fast tracked.

Four years later, real-estate developer Bob Lanier is mayor. He cancels every rail plan, and uses the federal funds to expand the hell out of the freeways (which indeed was needed, though possibly not at the scale that was completed). The slowly recovering economy is greased by $10/bbl oil, which leads to massive expansion in exurban development, provided by the nice new 8-16 lane freeways serving out into far-flung parts of Greater Houston.

So, there you have it, an admittedly truncated and biased history of Houston over the last 30 years. It helps explain a lot; the lack of zoning still provided for many traditional urban neighborhoods, especially within the Loop. Outside it, though, the developers had their way, and did what they always do.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #569
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

That's very interesting background, for sure...but...Even if you have a big city that's all about the car it still doesn't mean you can't build some parking garages instead of all that surface parking. It looks like a central business district surrounded by the Mall of America parking lot. I'm assuming the Mall of America has a parking lot that large, maybe it has a parking garage, I don't know .
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 12:30 PM   #570
jarbury
Resident Planner

Likes (Received): 24

That's what happens when you allow a city to spread forever, thereby placing little value on its central land.
Old December 12th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #571
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpa View Post
That's very interesting background, for sure...but...Even if you have a big city that's all about the car it still doesn't mean you can't build some parking garages instead of all that surface parking. It looks like a central business district surrounded by the Mall of America parking lot. I'm assuming the Mall of America has a parking lot that large, maybe it has a parking garage, I don't know .
It's interesting what happens as soon as you say the words "parking garage" to developers/financiers. You might see it as a net public good, but they see it as a multi-million dollar money pit. It's very difficult to build a parking garage and not have to subsidize it with the surrounding development; the user fees would be exorbitant if it paid for itself.

However, downtown Houston does have many more garages nowadays. One by one, the surface lots are disappearing, and none too soon, I may add. Building Discovery Green in the center of those lots helped.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 05:46 AM   #572
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18218

Auto bailout guarantees transactions involving nation's transit agencies
11 December 2008

WASHINGTON (AP) - The $14 billion measure to keep U.S. automakers in business also has a provision to keep the nation's rail and bus systems on track.

The legislation would provide federal guarantees for complex financial transactions between major transit agencies and investors. Many of these deals are in danger of default owing to the credit crisis, exposing transit agencies to billions of dollars in payments at a time when they are trying to cope with growing riderships.

Transit agencies and their allies in Congress have warned that rail and bus systems could be crippled without the federal backup. But the provision met with sharp criticism from several key lawmakers.

"This provision aimed at protecting transit agencies really just helps the banks that entered into these sham transactions in their attempts to avoid taxes," said Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus, D-Mont.

Baucus told reporters Wednesday that he would oppose the auto bailout bill if the transit provision stayed in it.

The panel's leading Republican, Sen. Charles Grassley of Iowa., said that after fighting to eliminate the tax schemes, "allowing parties to these transactions to reap these benefits with taxpayer dollars would be a perverse result."

The transactions, called sale-in/lease out (SILO) and lease-in/lease out (LILO), involve the practice of transit agencies selling rail cars and other equipment to banks and then leasing them back at a discount. The transit agencies get large infusions of capital for investment while the banks could write off taxes on the depreciating property.

In 2004, Baucus and Grassley succeeded in moving legislation that denied the deduction of losses from these transactions, ending the tax benefits of entering into SILO transactions.

But last October, House Transportation Committee leaders, including chairman Jim Oberstar, D-Minn., and ranking Republican John Mica of Florida, wrote to the administration urging the federal government to assist those transit agencies still liable from SILO deals reached before the change in the law.

"These transit contracts, when in vogue, were touted as an inventive way to allow public transportation agencies to fund their payment obligations for rail and bus equipment purchases," said their letter, also signed by highways and transit panel chairman Peter DeFazio, D-Ore. Defaults, they said, "could threaten their very existence and the financial stability of the state and local governments that fund them."

The president of the American Public Transportation Association, William W. Millar, said the Federal Transit Administration encouraged transit systems to take part in the financing arrangements.

"At a time when public transportation systems are experiencing both severe financial challenges and record ridership, transit systems and their riders should not be penalized for following the guidance of the federal agency in charge of overseeing public transportation," said Millar. "With this legislation, there is no financial risk to the taxpayer.

In August, the Internal Revenue Service offered settlements to some corporations if they agreed to terminate existing SILO and LILO transactions.

But last month leaders from transit agencies warned that 31 of the nation's largest transit systems could face at least $2 billion in payments in the coming months because the credit crunch had put many of these deals in jeopardy. Insurers such as American International Group Inc., had backed the deals, but downgrades of AIG's credit put many of the transactions in default, allowing banks to demand early termination fees and other penalties.

The Washington (D.C.) Metro system last month reached a settlement with a Belgian bank that had sought $43 million after the near collapse of AIG.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 06:25 PM   #573
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18218

CTA says 2008 ridership will hit record levels
11 December 2008

CHICAGO (AP) - Chicago Transit Authority officials say ridership will hit a 16-year high even as fares are set to increase.

CTA President Ron Huberman says the agency has surpassed 500 million rides for the year and is on track to surpass the 508 million mark set 1992. He says people are choosing to use public transportation over driving despite the recent drop in gas prices.

The agency says ridership has increased 5.5 percent system-wide, with an increase in bus ridership of 6.7 percent over 2007 and an increase of 3.8 percent on the rail system. Huberman predicts that 528 million rides will be recorded by Dec. 31.

The next day, fares across the system will increase by 15 percent. The agency's board approved the increase Nov. 13.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 12:35 AM   #574
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

From Washington Post

LaHood Accepts Transportation Secretary Job

By Paul Kane and Philip Rucker
Rep. Ray LaHood (R-Ill.) last night accepted an offer to become President-elect Barack Obama's transportation secretary and the nomination will be made official in coming days, a senior Democratic official said.

LaHood, 63, who is retiring after representing a rural downstate district in Congress since 1995, becomes the second Republican tapped for Obama's Cabinet. In recent years, LaHood developed a close relationship with Obama, becoming a key player on the House Appropriations Committee on behalf of the Illinois delegation. A moderate Republican, LaHood has not shied away from criticizing the Bush administration and has a reputation for working with leaders of both political parties.

From his perch atop the Department of Transportation, LaHood will be a key player in the new administration's public works projects designed to stimulate the struggling economy.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:05 AM   #575
hoosier

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
From Washington Post

LaHood Accepts Transportation Secretary Job

By Paul Kane and Philip Rucker
Rep. Ray LaHood (R-Ill.) last night accepted an offer to become President-elect Barack Obama's transportation secretary and the nomination will be made official in coming days, a senior Democratic official said.

LaHood, 63, who is retiring after representing a rural downstate district in Congress since 1995, becomes the second Republican tapped for Obama's Cabinet. In recent years, LaHood developed a close relationship with Obama, becoming a key player on the House Appropriations Committee on behalf of the Illinois delegation. A moderate Republican, LaHood has not shied away from criticizing the Bush administration and has a reputation for working with leaders of both political parties.

From his perch atop the Department of Transportation, LaHood will be a key player in the new administration's public works projects designed to stimulate the struggling economy.

Is he a supporter of mass transit?
Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:33 AM   #576
Chusanch

Likes (Received): 21

It is surprising to see that there is more use of public transport in the USA. I thought it was common to use private cars rather than public transport. It is going the right way...
Chusanch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:53 AM   #577
Somnifor
Paradise Island

Likes (Received): 3327

Minneapolis/St Paul Metro Transit is still seeing record numbers despite the falling price of gas. I was on a high frequency bus today at 1 pm and it was standing room only even though it was really cold outside (0F which is around -17c).

From the Minneapolis Star Tribune:

Gas spike over, metro riders still hopping on the bus, train
Twin Cities transit use continues to rise, despite cheaper gas, higher fares and rising unemployment; indeed, the system shows signs of strain due to its popularity.

By MITCH ANDERSON, Star Tribune

Last update: December 8, 2008 - 10:10 PM

WASHINGTON - Gasoline is getting cheaper, but Minnesotans are still flocking to public transportation in record numbers.

Some experts say they're getting used to it -- if they can find a seat.

In fact, the Twin Cities are outpacing other parts of the nation in the growth of bus and light-rail travel, according to a survey released Monday by the American Public Transportation Association.

The third quarter of 2008 saw a 7.4 percent rise in public transit use in the metro area, totaling 22.3 million rides in all. Nationwide, buses, light rail, subways and commuter railroads saw a 6.5 percent spike, the largest quarterly increase in 25 years.

Public transit ridership began hitting record levels in July as the national average for a gallon of gas reached $4.11, the survey said. More surprising was that the trend continued, despite falling gas prices, rising transit fares and creeping unemployment.

Historically, those factors tend to drive transit ridership down, especially in combination.

"Even in the face of those three factors, in the month of October, we didn't have a ridership decline, we had a ridership increase," said Bob Gibbons, director of customer services for the Twin Cities' Metro Transit. "I think it is a lifestyle change; otherwise, we would have seen a significant decline."

But the increase in ridership comes as a mixed blessing.

While ridership over the past four years is up about 17 percent, Gibbons said, there has only been about a 2.5 percent increase in routes and service. So it's harder to find a seat, and the system is getting strained.

Jerry Krause, who commutes from his home in Minneapolis to Hamline University in St. Paul, is seeing the transit boom firsthand. Two years ago, a typical morning bus would have 18 or 19 riders, he said, and now the number has more than doubled. One afternoon last week, one of his buses ran out of room for riders to stand. "It was totally jammed with people," he said.

More people also means more stops, more loading and more unloading. "Once you start loading more and more people onto a bus, the slower and slower it is on the route," Krause said. Standing-room-only buses also mean "you don't get anything done," he said. "You can't read the paper, can't do anything. You're just sort of holding on and hoping that you're not going to be thrown into someone's lap."

Despite the rising demand, pinched revenues have already forced many transit agencies to increase fares or cut service.

In October, Metro Transit raised its rates 25 cents, a move that it may have to repeat in 2009 to offset the losses in funding, according to Gibbons. But he said that's better than cutting service.

Some Democrats in Congress say the trend could help boost support for more transit funds in President-elect Barack Obama's planned economic stimulus package.

"Congestion costs our economy $78 billion a year in wasted time and fuel," said Rep. Jim Oberstar, D-Minn. "I call that a congestion tax that is being levied on every good and service being produced in our economy."

http://www.startribune.com/local/stp...?elr=KArksUUUU
Somnifor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 02:41 AM   #578
jarbury
Resident Planner

This is great news, but I do wonder why this is happening? Do Americans just love public transport all of a sudden?
Old December 23rd, 2008, 02:48 AM   #579
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10411

Many find this gas price collapse to be a temporary thing, which it may as well be...
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 04:34 AM   #580
jarbury
Resident Planner

Very true. Rising oil prices should be the first signs of an economic recovery many think.