daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 21st, 2005, 10:19 AM   #101
mr_storms

Likes (Received): 4

Their trains are similar looking (well at least the bart C (flat)leading cars, the sloped A ones not so much), both were built in the same era, and both have ATO, so yes the are similar. Washingtons also has nice stations

Sponsored Links
Old December 21st, 2005, 04:55 PM   #102
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

I thought the Metro in Buffalo was a light rail? Few people seem to know about it and Syrcause's system...

I like BART trains!
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 05:51 PM   #103
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isek
man, thats a damn ugly train.
oh, come on, these are not so bad! i even would say, i like the SF metro
train. ugly trains has for example the metropolitan line in london, or the new vienna metro trains.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 08:26 PM   #104
Isek

Likes (Received): 1226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz
oh, come on, these are not so bad! i even would say, i like the SF metro
train. ugly trains has for example the metropolitan line in london, or the new vienna metro trains.
maybe i'm spoiled by daily munich c-wagen ride
Isek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 08:53 PM   #105
mr_storms

Likes (Received): 4

Theyre even better when you realize that they were designed in the 60's and 70's. This pic (from 1975) shows this pretty well (check out those cars lol)

My only real annoyance with appearance is that the ends are different color than the body. This is because the body is aluminum, but the ends are fiberglass, and no color coordination is even attempted, making it look like the fronts just got shoved on
And heres an interior pic for the newest cars. Actually is pretty confortable because of the wide loading guage and the seats are nice.
Old December 21st, 2005, 11:11 PM   #106
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isek
maybe i'm spoiled by daily munich c-wagen ride
ehhehe, yea, that is quite good possible if you are talking about c-trains of the munich metro, i'm totaly agree with u, tahts may be a reason.
munich trains are one of the prettiest, they're more modern for sure, but these ones from SF are not bad, too

more pics 'pliiiiiiiiz'

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 01:29 AM   #107
Jayayess1190

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accura_Preston
Does Rochester in NY have a subway? I know there are some abandoned parts but I dont know if it still has a working one or not.
They have a lightrail that goes underground

http://www.nfta.com/metro/route_rail.asp

underground station: http://www.urbanrail.net/am/buff/buf-almed-plat1.jpg
http://world.nycsubway.org/perl/show?14152

Last edited by Jayayess1190; December 22nd, 2005 at 01:35 AM.
Jayayess1190 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 01:44 PM   #108
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayayess1190
The links you posted are for Buffalo-which has a single line rapid transit system. Rochester used to have one, but it hasnt operated for almost 50 years.

Dig it: Rochester Subway
cjfjapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 01:58 PM   #109
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 140

St Louis, Missouri METROLINK

St. Louis Metrolink opened in 1993, and has been slowly but steadily expanding since. The original line linked suburban Illinois communities with the Lambert International Airport via downtown.

Here is a map of planned extensions:

It will be a great system when/if it is completely built out.

Last edited by cjfjapan; December 31st, 2005 at 06:56 PM.
cjfjapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 10:43 PM   #110
dougmatic
dougmatic

Likes (Received): 0

the seats on BART really are nice...i've fallen asleep (and missed my station) on many a BART ride.
dougmatic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 06:15 AM   #111
MSPtoMKE
Glory to the Hypnotoad

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmatic
My big question with the US metro systems is why don't they run later, especially on Friday and Saturday nights when people are going to be out drinking and not wanting to pay $20 for taxis. Bay Area BART, Boston metro, Philly SEPTA, Atlanta MARTA, all stop around midnight i believe. I think 2 lines in Chicago CTA run around the clock? I know not every city has enough ridership to be in operation all the time like NYC, but I think DC Metro's system has the correct solution, as I think all lines run until 3 am on Friday and Saturday nights. Other Metro systems should follow suit.
This is not a problem unique to the US, though. As far as hours of operation, US systems are similar to the rest of the world (even better than some). This was discussed before, a NYC and Chicago were the only systems that really had 24 hour operations on a regular basis for metro systems. most agencies have night buses that replace the metro systems.
MSPtoMKE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 05:59 AM   #112
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18239

California Needs More Public Transport

Calif. needs more public transport-top lawmaker

SAN FRANCISCO, Feb 17 (Reuters) - California's Assembly speaker said on Friday he would press Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger for a significant boost in funding for public transportation during talks over a potentially massive state infrastructure spending program.

Schwarzenegger, a Republican, has called on lawmakers to help draft a bill for a measure for the June ballot that would ask voters to approve the first round of state general obligation bonds for his $222.6 billion public works plan.

The Hollywood icon has proposed the state issue $68 billion of the debt over a decade as part of that plan to augment direct spending to expand and improve such public works as roads, levees, schools, jails and courthouses.

Democrats who control California's legislature are disappointed his plan does not set aside more money for public transportation.

Assembly Speaker Fabian Nunez said during a telephone conference call with reporters that he backs Schwarzenegger's aim to build more highways but said at the same time, California cities need more bus lines and railways.

Nunez, who represents part of Los Angeles, said he would propose to Schwarzenegger's office a plan to set aside several billion dollars from any infrastructure bond package for public transportation systems.

Lending support to Nunez, Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said during the call that his city, which suffers some of the worst air pollution in the nation from automobile traffic, is in short supply of public transportation.

"You can't build your way out of the congestion," Villaraigosa said. "This is a city that's gridlocked."

Despite differences with Schwarzenegger's infrastructure plan, Nunez said he is hopeful lawmakers will come to an agreement with him on a public works spending program in the next few weeks to put a bond measure on the June ballot.

"I think we can get it done," Nunez said.

Democratic lawmakers have said they want a public works package including funds for environmental and housing projects in addition to public transportation. By contrast, Republicans say the state should focus on bricks and mortar projects.

Lawmakers from both parties agree Schwarzenegger's public works plan may be too expensive given California's wobbly finances.

Nunez has said the proposed $68 billion in debt is too much for Assembly Democrats, who would be more comfortable with $25 billion to $30 billion in general fund-backed debt to finance public works projects.

Republicans are reluctant to support any debt and have proposed a so-called pay-as-you-go-plan to set aside a dedicated share of state revenues for the work.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 06:03 AM   #113
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

California is too sparsely populated, just like most of the US. More public transit spending would only endure the wrath of the car-crazy taxpayers.
Old February 19th, 2006, 05:57 PM   #114
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

I think it's quite obvious, but how?
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 11:02 PM   #115
Cloudship

Likes (Received): 97

DMUs in the US

I noticed that number of prposed transit lines in the US are being planned with DMUs (Diesel Multiple Units). However, I am not aware of too many DMUs that are certified to run under FRA regulations. There is the Colorado Railcar, and the old Budd cars, which from my understanding, are anything but efficient performers. Are there more DMUs available now?
Cloudship no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 11:34 PM   #116
mad_nick

Likes (Received): 16

As far as I know, the Colorado Railcar is the only one complying with (excessive) FRA regulations, the Budd RDC's were built some 50-60 years ago, before the FRA went completely overboard with their weight regulations.
That's a shame really, there are tons of great DMU's operating all over the world, far lighter and cheaper to operate than the behemoth known as Colorado Railcar. The same is true for EMU's used on FRA regulated railroads, the new M7 EMU, operated by the LIRR and Metro North, is about 1.7 times as heavy as the M1 in order to comply with new FRA regulations.

German DMU (DB 640)

Colorado Railcar
mad_nick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 02:14 AM   #117
miamicanes

Likes (Received): 181

The biggest killer for DMUs in the US is apparently the FRA's classification of them as "Diesel Locomotives", which requires them to be torn down and rebuilt with shockingly excessive frequency. Apparently, the reason why Colorado Railcar hasn't managed to sell many yet is because the FRA-mandated maintenance costs are utterly insane.

Tri-Rail in Florida is rumored to have leased a few, but declined to actually buy any, for that precise reason... they REALLY liked them in principle and decided that the truth has to lie somewhere between the horrible predictions made by the accountants and the rosy picture painted by Colorado Railcar &common sense, and want to see firsthand just how bad the maintenance requirements are in the "real world" before formally deciding for or against them.

If nothing else, the FRA should create a "middle" classification for DMUs that operate on tracks where freight trains CAN -- but don't -- run during DMU operation. As I understand it, the way the law is written right now, if there's any possible way a freight train could physically get onto the tracks, the DMU has to meet all the excessive requirements. Someone told me that there's a light rail line in New Jersey that runs on tracks that are used for freight only once a week late at night... to comply with the law and avoid the FRA's requirements, they have to literally remove the section of track connecting the light rail line's storage yard with the line, and rebuild the section of track connecting the line to the freight yard... and reverse the whole process a few hours later. Utterly insane.

Last edited by miamicanes; March 18th, 2006 at 02:26 AM.
miamicanes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 12:33 PM   #118
MelbourneCity

Likes (Received): 25

That Colorado railcar is hideous!

Melburnian in Sydney via Bendigo
MelbourneCity está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #119
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...06/ai_n9505649

San Diego to reduce light rail/freight separations
Railway Age, Jan, 2005

The Federal Railroad Administration has given the San Diego Trolley permission to slightly reduce separations between light rail and freight service on the Orange and Blue lines. Until now, freight trains could only use the tracks overnight after the last revenue service LRV had completed its run--what the FRA calls temporal separation, a situation that prevails on several other LRT systems such as those in Baltimore and Salt Lake City.

However, Trolley officials assembled a carefully-researched proposal to provide more operational flexibility while also putting in place strict safety measures. Under an FRA waiver, there can be simultaneous LRV and freight operations but on different tracks and in different directions under strict procedural requirements. The practical result is that passenger and freight trains can overlap, for example, during late night and early morning hours. Thus, the first morning Trolley can pull out as the last freight movement is being completed and vice-versa at night.

Meanwhile, several American Public Transportation Association and ITS America committees are working on possible scenarios for unrestricted joint LRT and freight operations, although they would probably require high-tech train control and dispatching systems.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 02:59 PM   #120
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Mention has been made in this thread of the New Jersey River Line, which uses diesel-electric multiple units (DEMU), which are much closer in size to conventional light rail vehicles than Diesel Multiple Units (DMU) such as the Colorado Railcar:

For more information, see:
http://world.nycsubway.org/us/phila/riverline.html
http://www.riverline.com/

The "Sprinter" transit line that is being built in the northern part of San Diego County from Oceanside to Escondido will use DMU's. The vehicles will be the Siemens Desiro model, which is used in several European cities:

For more information, see:
http://www.sts.siemens.com/News/2004/062504.html
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Siemens_Desiro
http://www.gonctd.com/oerail/oerail.html
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote