SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Mexican Architecture (PreColombian era)

217K views 483 replies 43 participants last post by  Adrian12345Lugo 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, i will use this thread to illustrate the architecture of Precolombian Mexico. I will either focus on a entire city or an individual Structure..hope you enjoy it.

Most notable structures are Temples, Palaces, Ball courts, observatories

Styles of architecture
Maya- Puuc, Chenes, Rio Bec, Palenque, Peten, Other

Zapotec

Toltec

Teotihuacan

Aztec

Veracruz(El Tajin etc)

Olmec

And any other Independent city state or culture

#185 · (Edited)
Essentially all styles of Maya architecture derive from the simple hut, for tradition most Mayan Structures incorporate the "Hut" shape and appearance into their buildings.

Chacmultun 600-900AD

minor puuc site

Chacmultun Palace group

building 1

http://mayaruins.com/chacmultun/m1_058.html

http://mayaruins.com/chacmultun/m1_076.html
[/url]

#8 ·
The architecture of the classic period is what I love especially. And not just the architecture, but also the art in general.

The Teotihuacan exhibition at the Branly in Paris last year did an especially fine job linking the art/artifacts with the context -- in many cases, both site/location and architecture. But nothing comes close to seeing the actual sites, perhaps with a pocket copy of the Popol Vuh in one hand.

#9 ·
BTW, in a discussion of Mayan and pre-Columbian architecture, perhaps you should inlclude the great ones situated in neighboring countries: specifically, the ones in Guatemala, and the great monuments in the Southwestern USA. They were all interconnected, and modern-day national distinctions are meaningless in this context.

#15 ·
Xochitecatl

Xochitecatl is a pre-Columbian archaeological site located in the Mexican State of Tlaxcala, 18km southwest of Tlaxcala city. The major architecture dates to the Middle Preclassic Period (1000-400 B.C.)

#24 ·
Why did you do this?

Anyway, i like ancient Mayan architecture. Do you have any examples of Mayan details in contemporary architecture in Mexico? That could be very cool. You can create a new Mexican/Mayan architectural style with these details, so Mexico could distinguish itself from the rest in a very unique and positive way.

#25 ·
I cluttered it with too many images, and not in Mexico, and yes i think that to myself everyday, and not just with mayan Puuc, but with others Mayan styles , and from other civilizations as well(e.g zapotec)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.