daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: The Best Skyline in the World for 2010 is
Kuala Lumpar 41 5.44%
Hong Kong 155 20.56%
Chicago 44 5.84%
Singapore 32 4.24%
Shanghai 34 4.51%
Tokyo 12 1.59%
New York 168 22.28%
Frankfurt 11 1.46%
Dubai 37 4.91%
Seoul 8 1.06%
Seattle 10 1.33%
Guangzhou 4 0.53%
Shenzhen 8 1.06%
Dallas 3 0.40%
Pittsburgh 5 0.66%
Sao Paolo 34 4.51%
Paris 16 2.12%
Toronto 21 2.79%
Sydney 20 2.65%
Los Angeles 1 0.13%
San Francisco 3 0.40%
Melbourne 11 1.46%
Houston 0 0%
London 29 3.85%
Detroit 3 0.40%
Boston 1 0.13%
Montreal 3 0.40%
Moscow 23 3.05%
Atlanta 0 0%
Istanbul 17 2.25%
Voters: 754. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 30th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #361
yubnub

Likes (Received): 448

You dont need skyscrapers for a great skyline.

Salzburg
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brgu/5131908612/sizes/l/
This small city has many domes and spires on its skyline which combine with the castle and the mountains.

Oxford
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/martipa...51110/sizes/l/
Another small city with a skyline full of great buildings of different sizes and shapes

A great skyline must have some great buildings on it, having lots of tall boxes cluttered together is not enough imo
yubnub no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #362
Pfeuffer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by haikiller11 View Post
ya underestimate the city planning. City planning makes Singapore the best skyline in South East Asia without any super tall, city planning makes KL and Manila become shit when they stand next to London or Paris

ya also underestimate the value of architecture. ya can say that Manila has more skyscrapers than London but a bunch of concrete rubbish can never compete against a skyscraper like The Gherkin or Tour First
comparing london to one of the great asian cities is just pathetic !
Pfeuffer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 10:37 PM   #363
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6863

London most certainly is not a good example of city planning.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 09:01 AM   #364
Leandro_lenz
Comeback User

Likes (Received): 5926

dubai
Old January 31st, 2011, 01:22 PM   #365
cardiff

Likes (Received): 5851

London is probably the best city for for city planning, seeing as so many different plans have been incorporated over the years lol. Might not be a planned city from the start, but almost 100% of the time, the most planned cities are the most sterile, lifeless and least pedestrian friendly (and nearly always have being made up of extreemly bland buildings with maybe 1 or 2 interesting ones).

I personally find a skyline with a mix of historical domes and spires, mixed with skyscrapers far more exciting than just skyscrapers alone. Singapore is great because you have a modern and old skyline; its modern one is excellent, its old ok. London has a good modern skyline, and an excellent old skyline. For some people its the muber of skyscrapers that are important, IMO its important to have a certain density, but too many skyscrapers is often overkill, loosing any beauty in massing and therefore making the skyline ugly. Using Singapore again, i personally thought its skyline more beautiful before the most recent skyscrapers (though i love the skyscrapers individually). Using London as an example i find the walkie talkie development un balances the skyline and makes the overall skyline more ugly.
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 04:50 PM   #366
ChitownCity

Likes (Received): 125

with posts like yubnub's just confirms that this thread is over....
ChitownCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 06:05 PM   #367
World 2 World
The World @ My Fingertips

Likes (Received): 4308

Kuala Lumpur

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/helenecrepieux/5352404616/

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mr_deven/5378108846/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sasuhai/5357748158/

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by World 2 World; January 31st, 2011 at 06:11 PM.
World 2 World no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 01:23 AM   #368
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiff View Post
London is probably the best city for for city planning, seeing as so many different plans have been incorporated over the years lol. Might not be a planned city from the start, but almost 100% of the time, the most planned cities are the most sterile, lifeless and least pedestrian friendly (and nearly always have being made up of extreemly bland buildings with maybe 1 or 2 interesting ones).

I personally find a skyline with a mix of historical domes and spires, mixed with skyscrapers far more exciting than just skyscrapers alone. Singapore is great because you have a modern and old skyline; its modern one is excellent, its old ok. London has a good modern skyline, and an excellent old skyline. For some people its the muber of skyscrapers that are important, IMO its important to have a certain density, but too many skyscrapers is often overkill, loosing any beauty in massing and therefore making the skyline ugly. Using Singapore again, i personally thought its skyline more beautiful before the most recent skyscrapers (though i love the skyscrapers individually). Using London as an example i find the walkie talkie development un balances the skyline and makes the overall skyline more ugly.
Of course I don't mean just the skyscrapers and skyline. The most important things are urban enviroment, pedestrian friendliness, traffic conditions and integration of everything around. From my personal experience the best city in this sense is (by very far) Singapore. London is among the worse when it comes to planning simply because there hasn't been much planning in the first place.
Old February 1st, 2011, 02:59 AM   #369
cardiff

Likes (Received): 5851

I think alot more planning goes on in London than you give it credit for, i'm not sure sure what you mean by lack of planning seeing how long it takes to get anything past the planning stage in the UK in general. London might not be a planed city from the start, but its been around for a heck of a long time, if it didnt work then it wouldnt be the way it is. I wouldnt say Singapore is a particularly well planned city either, and to a great extent follows the Britsh colonial style of cities. If you mean that there isnt major pedestrianisation of street, then there is in areas, but you have to realise the size and power in London, and how difficult it is to effect change.
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 03:19 AM   #370
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiff View Post
I think alot more planning goes on in London than you give it credit for, i'm not sure sure what you mean by lack of planning seeing how long it takes to get anything past the planning stage in the UK in general. London might not be a planed city from the start, but its been around for a heck of a long time, if it didnt work then it wouldnt be the way it is. I wouldnt say Singapore is a particularly well planned city either, and to a great extent follows the Britsh colonial style of cities. If you mean that there isnt major pedestrianisation of street, then there is in areas, but you have to realise the size and power in London, and how difficult it is to effect change.
I'm not saying it is easy to change things in London. It is really difficult to change anything right now without colossal amounts of cash but the matter of fact is that London is not a well planned city and therefore should not be put as a positive example of that. If you're looking for a well historically planned city then look no further than Paris. For a modern one it's Singapore. And yes, Singapore is a very well planned city. If you have taken a ride, walked or taken public transport there you should definitely be aware of this. It simply doesn't get better than that.
Old February 1st, 2011, 03:41 AM   #371
Guaporense

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
I think you could make a case for Toronto, Singapore, Dubai and Sydney.
And São Paulo, of course.

What? São Paulo? The city without any real skyscraper? Well, although SP doesn't have any special high rise, it has the greatest quantity of high rises in any city in the world. That's because the bulk of the city's population of 20 million resides in buildings over 12 stories.

How many highrises there are in São Paulo? Estimates vary from 27 thousand to 40 thousand.

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Guaporense; February 1st, 2011 at 04:05 AM.
Guaporense no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 04:03 AM   #372
Pfeuffer
BANNED

hey guys ! London should definately not be discussed on this thread !
Old February 1st, 2011, 04:14 AM   #373
Pfeuffer
BANNED

Yep, Sao Paulo is huge, but Shanghai or Shenzhen got even more highrises ?!
Old February 1st, 2011, 10:29 PM   #374
Yahz91

Likes (Received): 0

PARIS, FRANCE BEST PLACE EVER

Yahz91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 12:58 AM   #375
Guaporense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeuffer View Post
Yep, Sao Paulo is huge, but Shanghai or Shenzhen got even more highrises ?!
Shanghai had 6,700 highrises in late 2004, today they probably have over 10,000. Shenzen is smaller than Shanghai. New York has 6,000 highrises, Hong Kong, 7,000.

São Paulo has between 27,000 and 40,000 highrises, depending on the estimate. The city of Belo Horizonte, third largest in Brazil, has about 6-7 thousand highrises, competing with New York, Hong Kong and Shanghai of 2004.

Brazil is far ahead other countries in number of highrises because the standard commie blocks of the country have over 12 stories and in the large cities a large proportion of the population live in these housing blocks.

It will take several decades of fast expansion in Shanghai skyline for them to approach São Paulo, also note that São Paulo is growing their skyline as well, each year probably over 500 new highrises are build in SP.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:43 AM   #376
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

No, you couldn't make a case for Sao Paolo.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 06:54 AM   #377
ChitownCity

Likes (Received): 125

^actually he could pending on one's taste...
ChitownCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 02:10 PM   #378
watcher09
One Of A Kind!

Likes (Received): 615

Sao Paulo has expansive clusters of buildings. It maybe has more buildings than many cities of the world, but they are plain looking and not that tall. Asian cities have more beautiful and taller buildings. That makes the difference.
watcher09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 04:57 PM   #379
elculo

Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahz91 View Post
PARIS, FRANCE BEST PLACE EVER

Is it really so hard to resize a picture?
elculo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:43 AM   #380
Guaporense

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownCity View Post
^actually he could pending on one's taste...
I like a certain degree of blandness. Asian cities have too much color in their skyline, creating chromatic pollution. Hong Kong lacks mass and size, while their buildings always seem to compete with one another to be more beautiful. I also think that HK's skyline was better 20 years ago than today.

São Paulo skyline is abstract art.