daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: The Best Skyline in the World for 2010 is
Kuala Lumpar 41 5.44%
Hong Kong 155 20.56%
Chicago 44 5.84%
Singapore 32 4.24%
Shanghai 34 4.51%
Tokyo 12 1.59%
New York 168 22.28%
Frankfurt 11 1.46%
Dubai 37 4.91%
Seoul 8 1.06%
Seattle 10 1.33%
Guangzhou 4 0.53%
Shenzhen 8 1.06%
Dallas 3 0.40%
Pittsburgh 5 0.66%
Sao Paolo 34 4.51%
Paris 16 2.12%
Toronto 21 2.79%
Sydney 20 2.65%
Los Angeles 1 0.13%
San Francisco 3 0.40%
Melbourne 11 1.46%
Houston 0 0%
London 29 3.85%
Detroit 3 0.40%
Boston 1 0.13%
Montreal 3 0.40%
Moscow 23 3.05%
Atlanta 0 0%
Istanbul 17 2.25%
Voters: 754. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 28th, 2010, 10:04 PM   #61
Face81

Likes (Received): 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
I could not have said it better!perfect example of why Dubai is not at The top,but it's up in The top 5-7!

Dubai does have density..... it's just not as massive as other cities

[IMG]http://i31.************/2dsfzf4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i29.************/5efkll.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i26.************/2hs6d69.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i32.************/1z2itc6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i26.************/2zqu7ww.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i30.************/2py7yx0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i30.************/2nultlg.jpg[/IMG]

We also have a pretty decent skyline

[IMG]http://i26.************/2i66hk.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i29.************/9gyp1d.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i31.************/2vju2z4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i27.************/2hro67o.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i25.************/28wmiyw.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i28.************/fviems.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i29.************/k4t4w5.jpg[/IMG]
The late Sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoum [1912 - 1990]
Face81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #62
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8164

Yeah and its a textbook example of how not to build a city.
Old July 28th, 2010, 10:12 PM   #63
Face81

you try putting together a global hub in under 30 years from scratch
Old July 28th, 2010, 10:18 PM   #64
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

I did as did Singapore. Indeed cities in China are trying to emulate Singapore and not Dubai, because Dubai is everything a city should not be - an urban planning mistake that is unsustainable, a city where one has to take a taxi (!) just to get to the other side of the street. It may be nice to look at but not exactly pleasant to live in.
Old July 28th, 2010, 10:27 PM   #65
Leandro_lenz
Comeback User

Likes (Received): 5875

hey why Buenos Aires is not in the poll, a really decent skyline:

anyway, my vote is for new york

Last edited by Leandro_lenz; July 28th, 2010 at 10:32 PM.
Leandro_lenz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 10:30 PM   #66
dark_shadow1
arctic tern

Likes (Received): 510

The 2 best are obviously HK and NYC. I voted HK because it got a few supertalls recently, while NYC's skyline hasn't changed much. However, NYC will get the best skyline again once the new WTC complex is completed.
dark_shadow1 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 10:37 PM   #67
Face81

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
I did as did Singapore. Indeed cities in China are trying to emulate Singapore and not Dubai, because Dubai is everything a city should not be - an urban planning mistake that is unsustainable, a city where one has to take a taxi (!) just to get to the other side of the street. It may be nice to look at but not exactly pleasant to live in.
Well I do agree that the planning is nightmarish and almost non existant

Hopefully the Dubai Metro will help to solve some of the planning problems in the years to come as it expands to cover more of the city.

[IMG]http://i29.************/2vae1p1.jpg[/IMG]
Old July 28th, 2010, 10:38 PM   #68
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Good to know.
Old July 29th, 2010, 01:17 AM   #69
fragel

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradea View Post
Actually HK skyline would be very different if it has no hinterland (China).

Everyone from China (imagine 1/4 of the world population) wants to visit HK, spend their money shopping, eating and all. Chinese businesses want to set up their headquarters in HK, buy properties in HK. International firms set up their headquarters there to enter China market way before China opens it's door. HK is like the NY of China. HK probably has millions of factories in China or owns many businesses in China, but they have their HQ in HK.

Could it have been the same if it has no support from a giant?
I think your argument applies to every single metropolis. No city can build skyscrapers without the support from a larger area. Even Dubai which seems to rise in the middle of a desert can not develop without support from the Middle East and even the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradea View Post
My view is that the country with the biggest population, will have more massive skyline and what more if it concentrates all its financial activities in relatively smaller places HK and shanghai (compared to the whole country) this is what you get, a HK skyline, yes indeed it is comparable to NY, but does it mean anything more than just beautiful?
I don't really get your point here, especially from the last sentence. But I guess what you are trying to say is that Hong Kong skyline is a result of putting all Chinese financial resources into one city. I am afraid that is not the fact. China indeed has more massive skylines in various cities, Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Chongqing, Tianjing, the list goes on. Most of the big cities (about 20 cities with a population of 5 million+) have their own impressive skylines, not as great as Hong Kong’s but still very nice. And not all financial activities take place in Hong Kong and Shanghai only, Shenzhen and Beijing play important roles in Chinese financial markets, and now Tianjing is getting a bigger share too. I think Hong Kong will continue developing and will still have the best skyline in China in the near future, but cities in mainland China will be growing at a faster pace.
fragel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 01:29 AM   #70
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57942

Dubai is the prime example of an urban dystopia. Artificial, inhuman and disturbing.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 01:33 AM   #71
fragel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosnail View Post
Of course there's nothing to stop you creating a poll and proving me wrong, only then you might run the risk of some wise guy telling you it's a joke because some other city should be in there instead of your choices.
Exactly! After browsing many poll threads, there are almost no exceptions especially when it comes to global/continental/national comparison. Well, at least the current votes from this poll confirm that NY and HK remain the top two competitive contenders, leaving the others in the dust--very easy to predict though. There are still ppl who would vote for their own cities, like me, I think HK and NY have the best skylines, but I just want to make sure Shanghai at least gets one vote
Old July 29th, 2010, 01:59 AM   #72
JCRdz

Likes (Received): 1

I have to go with Chicago. Nothing beats the original. Birthplace of the skyscraper and home of the best skyline.
JCRdz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 01:59 AM   #73
fragel

Chicago is my favorite city in the states although NY has a better skyline. Lake Michigan is awesome and I always find the streets in Chicago cleaner than those in NYC. It is a classic American city with a great skyline, but "way before HK, Shanghai, Kuala Lumpur" and "way more class"? Not really. I've never been to KL, but Hong Kong has a much better skyline than Chicago, and Chicago's skyline is only slightly better than Shanghai's because Chicago has better urban planning. For Singapore, too bad they have the height restriction, and I love tall buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Chicago should be way before HK, Shanghai, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore. Way more class.
Old July 29th, 2010, 02:06 AM   #74
erbse
LIBERTINED

I just don't like Asian cities, sorry. Mostly chaotic, many identical buildings with only few peaks sticking out - or too many of them, speaking of chaos.
HK has some really disgusting highrise walls, leaving no air and no room behind. Also many laying batteries, if you know what I mean. I prefer the residential highrises of Chicago over those of HK. And HK doesn't really have historical highrises, in contrast to Shanghai (The Bund is awesome). That's why I even prefer Shanghai, not as a city, but I like the architecture better.

Bank of China, IWC and the mountain backdrop are HK's big + though, any skyline could need things like that.

Old July 29th, 2010, 03:51 AM   #75
fragel

I thought you were more likely talking about the city buildings and communities rather than the skyline as a whole. Asian cities are chaotic in general (due to the population and culture), but they could also be thought of vibrant depending how you look at them. As for residential high-rises, Tin Shui Wai is quite far from downtown Hong Kong (about 40km by car, and Chicago O'Hare International Airport is about 20 miles away from downtown). There are many residential towers in downtown HK comparable to a place, say where Oprah lives in Chicago. There are some public housing projects in Hong Kong that are in relatively bad shape, but such projects exist in Chicago as well (they were much worse and generally violence-plagued). Anyway, it is very subjective when it comes to comparison between cities, which inevitably involves comparison between cultures and histories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
I just don't like Asian cities, sorry. Mostly chaotic, many identical buildings with only few peaks sticking out - or too many of them, speaking of chaos.
HK has some really disgusting highrise walls, leaving no air and no room behind. Also many laying batteries, if you know what I mean. I prefer the residential highrises of Chicago over those of HK. And HK doesn't really have historical highrises, in contrast to Shanghai (The Bund is awesome). That's why I even prefer Shanghai, not as a city, but I like the architecture better.

Bank of China, IWC and the mountain backdrop are HK's big + though, any skyline could need things like that.
Old July 29th, 2010, 05:48 AM   #76
Geocarlos
Moderador

Likes (Received): 8054

I think this a one way talk with NY, HK and Chicago running to become the world´s best skyline in 2010. And they deserve it. Panoramically speaking, the three of them has a wonderful unbroken views of their surrounding areas, with corporate, residential and commercial buildings with great highs and designs. Historical and modern buildings mix together offering a great street view as well. They have too much in common that is really hard to tell wich one is better than the other. I casted my vote for NY, but I still think that the other two qualify as well.
Geocarlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 10:29 AM   #77
Turbosnail

Likes (Received): 266

I have to say that looking back over the photos that everyone has posted here (thanks) Chicago is the city that I have been most impressed with - I voted for HK but would be tempted to change my vote. I like the more historical skyscrapers there. I have actually flown over Chicago before back in 1997 but the skyline was quite distant.
Turbosnail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #78
erbse
LIBERTINED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragel View Post
I thought you were more likely talking about the city buildings and communities rather than the skyline as a whole.
I was talking about both indeed. I can't rate a city's skyline without judging about the general cityscape, look and feel of a place.

Quote:
Asian cities are chaotic in general (due to the population and culture), but they could also be thought of vibrant depending how you look at them.
Sure, but I don't like that kind of Asian vibrancy. It's a good thing if it's pedestrian "vibrancy", but in most cases it's just a hellalota cars, mopeds and stinky, noisy stuff like that.

Quote:
As for residential high-rises, Tin Shui Wai is quite far from downtown Hong Kong
I'm aware of that. It's just the prime example of what I'd call "Asian laying batteries".

But well, comparing it to some downtown views of HK, I don't see that much of a difference (view from The Peak):

Source

Source

The overall quality isn't that stunning in my eyes, rather few highclass buildings.

Source

Source

Seriously... What the heck?

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Stuff like that wherever you look:

Source: flickr.com

Kowloon is also quite badass (not even talking about the estonishingly disgusting now demolished Walled City):

Source

Source

You won't find scenes like that in downtown Chicago:

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

It's not just the chaos I dislike about it, its the sheer ugliness of all these midrise and highrise concrete monsters that make even presumably highclass places like Hong Kong look like a shithole. (Earlier) Asian urban planning just sucks, sorry. If there even was anything planned for those streets I've shown. Despite that, most Asian cities (HK & Shanghai included) decided to tear down main parts of their historical heritage.

Quote:
Anyway, it is very subjective when it comes to comparison between cities, which inevitably involves comparison between cultures and histories.
Not necessarily between the ladder, I just have a look at the cityscape and have a feeling about a very unwelcoming place. Nothing to ever live in, in contrast to cities like NYC, Chicago, Toronto, Frankfurt or Sydney. I'm sticked to the western hemisphere and always will be, since I doubt there's a lot going to be changed about the general look & feel of most Asian cities - at least in the foreseeable future.

But it's all a matter of personal preferences of course.

Old July 29th, 2010, 11:04 AM   #79
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1638

Singapore:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old July 29th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #80
gradea

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
I think your argument applies to every single metropolis. No city can build skyscrapers without the support from a larger area. Even Dubai which seems to rise in the middle of a desert can not develop without support from the Middle East and even the world.

I don't really get your point here, especially from the last sentence. But I guess what you are trying to say is that Hong Kong skyline is a result of putting all Chinese financial resources into one city. I am afraid that is not the fact. China indeed has more massive skylines in various cities, Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Chongqing, Tianjing, the list goes on. Most of the big cities (about 20 cities with a population of 5 million+) have their own impressive skylines, not as great as Hong Kong’s but still very nice. And not all financial activities take place in Hong Kong and Shanghai only, Shenzhen and Beijing play important roles in Chinese financial markets, and now Tianjing is getting a bigger share too. I think Hong Kong will continue developing and will still have the best skyline in China in the near future, but cities in mainland China will be growing at a faster pace.
okay, maybe it applies to all metropolis, but not all cities are metropolis. City states like Singapore being an exception. How can an island 30 KM long, and 20 KM wide in a competitive region ever have a skyline like NY's. Without any resources or a hinterland that is thousands of times bigger, it's just on it's own.
gradea no está en línea   Reply With Quote