daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 26th, 2010, 11:48 PM   #41
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
in Croatia we ahve exit numbers since 2001. we have "german" system, so 2000 metres before exit there is large exit sign (or junctionm, they have different symbols) adn on some motorways (part of A1 and whole A6) there are those signes which sign approaching exit ramp (similar to those for railroad crossing).
exit numbers are also as german - order numbers, each motorway has exit no1 and further exits are numbered sequentially. junctions also count, and additional exits get letters A, B and so on.
for instance, at A3: exit 1, exit 2, junction 3, junction 4, exit 5, exit 5A, junction 6, exit 6A, exit 7...
I think it looks like Serbia are going to have exactly the same system and same sort of signs for exit numbers like Croatia.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #42
Uppsala

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanterberg View Post
Exit numbering was introduced in Sweden less than 10 years ago on E4 and E6. Since then, the system has been expanded to cover all major motorways (see map). Numbering is sequential from south to north or from west to east. As a consequence exit numbers in the capital are fairly “high”. For example, the exit number for Stockholm (centrum) on the E4 is 160.

The motorway with the most exits is the 738 km long E4. There are 171 exits between Helsingborg and Gävle (numbered 25 to 196).

A Swedish exit number sign. The background is always yellow.

This map shows all motorways and roads with numbered exits.
First exit numbers in Sweden was introduced in 1994 at the E6 in Halland. But for the rest of the motorways it was introduced at 2003. It was finished at 2004 at the E4 and E6 and 2005 at the other motorways like E22 and E18. But exit numbers is still missing at some motorways. And the number system is not really logic. For example one rest area have exit number but it is not an exit, or junction.
Old July 27th, 2010, 12:47 AM   #43
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Likes (Received): 6

Is that the E 6 stretch with Danish-styled signs? I have always wondered why suddenly the signs there do not look Swedish for some kilometers
Old July 27th, 2010, 12:57 AM   #44
Uppsala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsko View Post
Is that the E 6 stretch with Danish-styled signs? I have always wondered why suddenly the signs there do not look Swedish for some kilometers
Yes, some of them was in Danish style. Also the exit number was in Danish style in the first years. But not all of the signs was in Danish style. In the north of Halland it was signs in Swedish style but completed with exit numbers in Danish style. But from 2003 all of the junctions at E4 and E6 get exit numbers. In that time they changed out the the exit numbers in Danish style to the new Swedish (and European) standard of exit numbers. Also the signs in Danish style get the new Swedish standard of exit numbers.
Old July 27th, 2010, 01:07 AM   #45
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Likes (Received): 6

Oki thanks! I even think I remember some blue-on-white signage on that section from like ten years ago, but I m not quite sure... Now that all of Sweden got exit numbering, will the signs in Halland be replaced with Swedish-styled signs (with arrows and capital letter font)?
Old July 27th, 2010, 01:57 AM   #46
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A junction is an exit. Don't try to childishly push people to use British English. it's not mandatory on these forums, nor is this a linguistics forum.
I don't push anyone. I just make the necessary distinction between two different terms. If you lack the capability to tell a junction apart from an exit then you have a good reason to keep quiet.
Old July 27th, 2010, 02:40 AM   #47
kanterberg

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsko View Post
Oki thanks! I even think I remember some blue-on-white signage on that section from like ten years ago, but I m not quite sure... Now that all of Sweden got exit numbering, will the signs in Halland be replaced with Swedish-styled signs (with arrows and capital letter font)?
You are right; the signage along the motorway (E6) in Halland is significantly different, but these signs are, in fact, what prompted Sweden to adopt exit numbering in the first place: In the 90's the Halland Chamber of commerce convinced the National Road Administration (Vägverket) to use the E6 through Halland as a test section for exit numbering. Since there was no standard Swedish sign for exit numbers, Vägverket decided to try a new signage altogether. What's interesting is that all of these signs were paid for by the Chamber of commerce and not the tax payers.

In the end, after having evaluated the project, it was decided to introduce exit numbering nationwide. It was also decided not to change the layout of Swedish signage (e.g. keep the signs with all capital letters).

The conclusion is that drivers in Sweden should thank the Halland Chamber of Commerce for exit numbering. On a different note, it is interesting that the exact same strech of motorway in Halland was also the test section for the 120 km/h speed limit before introducing it nationwide.

Layout of signs along the E6 in Halland (when exit numbering was introduced nationwide the "Danish" exit-hexagon was replaced by the normal exit symbol.:

photo credit @smarterchild

Standard Swedish layout:
kanterberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 02:43 AM   #48
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

@flierfy:
There are a lot of differences in explanation of English terms, when being translated into other languages. Because of that, it is better not to use the term "interchange" for a connection of an access controlled road (freeway/motorway,etc) to a non access controlled road (other highway/(trunk)road, etc), also better don't use the simple term "junction" for connections between freeways/motorways. In an international forum you'll get to a point your fellow reader will translate wrong.

I propose the following standard usage:
* US - UK - FR - DE - NL
* interchange - motorway intersection/junction - échangeur/croix - Autobahnkreuz/Knoten - knooppunt/verkeerswisselaar
* grade separated junction - intersection/junction - diffuseur - Anslußstelle - aansluiting
* exit/offramp - exit/sliproad - sortie - Ausfahrt - afrit

Last edited by aswnl; July 27th, 2010 at 02:54 AM.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 05:12 AM   #49
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21237

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I agree with nerdly dood. The sequential numbering doesn't make sense at all, in a highway. The distance numbering makes more sense, but I still think it is not necessary. Moreover, if a piece of highway is redone (a variant, like Variante di Valico for instance), then the distances become wrong and you have to change all the signs from that point to the end of the highway.
Any system will have its drawbacks. A sequential system might see adding "appendage" exits like 4A, 5B and (maybe?) 4A-II if they build something between 4A and 4B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Yes but most of the times is Firenze Nord, Firenze Sud, Brescia Ovest, Brescia Est. Not that difficult.
Bologna is an exception since it has three exits (Bologna Casalecchio, Bologna Fiera, Bologna San Lazzaro).

If it was Firenze 1 and 2 I'm sure I would never remember ("was Firenze 1 the North exit or the South one?")
Italian highways (Autostrade) have relatively few exits comparing to other countries, not only because most of them have been built as controlled-accessed distance-based tolled from scratch, and it is far more difficult to build a toll plaza, no matter small, than a simple diamond exit.

But in Milano, for instance, signlaing is quite confusing. You have a plethora of exit names on the highways around the city.

In any case, most drivers now use GPS when driving to places they don't know. Most important it becomes to have signaling matching your GPS indications
Old July 27th, 2010, 05:51 AM   #50
Interstate275Fla

Likes (Received): 3

Here in Florida we began numbering our Interstate exits since the late 1970's using the sequential numbering system. In 2002 Florida changed over to a mile marker based exit numbering system.

In both systems the exit numbers increase as you go north or east depending on the highway you are on. For example, on Interstate 275 in the Tampa/St. Petersburg area the highway starts with Exit 2 (US 41) outside of Bradenton and the last northern exit is Exit 53 (Bearss Avenue) in Tampa.

As an example let's use the Gandy Blvd. interchange with Interstate 275 in St. Petersburg. When sequential exit numbering was introduced Gandy Blvd. was shown as Exit 15. As the exit numbering changed from sequential to mile marker based the exit number for Gandy Blvd. was changed to Exit 28, representing that it is 28 miles from Gandy Blvd. to the southern terminus of Interstate 275 at Interstate 75 outside of Bradenton.

Mile marker based exit numbering is also on Florida's toll roads including the Florida Turnpike, which had them for many years before Florida converted to mile marker based exit numbers for its Interstate highways. However, there is one exception and that is the Selmon Crosstown Expressway in Tampa that connects Gandy Blvd. with Interstate 75; when the Crosstown opened in 1976 it has sequential exit numbers which are still there today.

I prefer the mile marker based exit numbering system as it serves twofold: 1) It allows the motorist to calculate the distance between two exits and 2) when a new exit is constructed, a new exit number based on the nearest mile marker can be assigned rather than trying to fit a sequential exit number into place. In short, mile marker based exit numbering makes things a lot easier for everyone involved, from when the highway is designed and built to the motorist who uses the highway.

All photos posted by Interstate275Fla are that of the author unless stated otherwise.
Interstate275Fla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 06:11 AM   #51
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10385

Sequential in most Northeast US states.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 08:55 AM   #52
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
I don't push anyone. I just make the necessary distinction between two different terms. If you lack the capability to tell a junction apart from an exit then you have a good reason to keep quiet.
So all these signs use the wrong word?

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; July 27th, 2010 at 10:44 AM.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #53
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

I dont get the exit numbering. Why? Who drives like this:

"I go 45km straight, then take exit 23. Go 63 kms, there left, and an other 12 km straight."

I drive like this:

" Drive until exit Füzesabony, then towards Szolnok until Jászapáti."

So for me, names are relevant, and make sense.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 10:08 AM   #54
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
I-279/79 North to I-76 West to I-680 West to SR-711 North to SR-82 West to US-422 West to I-480 West.
Old July 27th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #55
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21237

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post

"I go 45km straight, then take exit 23. Go 63 kms, there left, and an other 12 km straight."

I drive like this:

If you have only one freeway going to the same area, it works. Now imagine a major US metro area, with at least 2 motorways going in the same direction together with spurs, bypasses, ringroads...
Old July 27th, 2010, 11:31 AM   #56
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Unusual exit signage can be found at the New Jersey Turnpike:
Old July 27th, 2010, 12:08 PM   #57
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
But in Milano, for instance, signlaing is quite confusing. You have a plethora of exit names on the highways around the city.
I agree, tangenziali deserve some sort of numbering. Bologna Tangenziale has them and they are obviously very handy, since exits are labeled like "Via Massarenti - Castenaso -Ravenna". In that case, is much simpler saying "exit 11"
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #58
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
If you have only one freeway going to the same area, it works. Now imagine a major US metro area, with at least 2 motorways going in the same direction together with spurs, bypasses, ringroads...
I said "exit numbering", not "road numbering"
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #59
Maxx☢Power
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanterberg View Post
It was also decided not to change the layout of Swedish signage (e.g. keep the signs with all capital letters).
I hate all-capital signs, the test signs look much better..

Quote:

I drive like this:

If you're going somewhere you don't usually go, it's much easier to remember exit numbers than place names. Especially if that place name isn't where you're actually going.. Not to mention it's easier for advertisers: "Come see us by the motorway slip road at exit 34 on the A8"

Just like it's easier (for some?) to navigate by road numbers, it's easier to navigate by exit numbers as well.. Especially if you're somewhere unfamiliar.. If I was told to "Drive until exit Füzesabony, then towards Szolnok until Jászapáti." I'd be like "drive until exit what now?"
Maxx☢Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #60
LMB
Once BMW, always Honda

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:

I do. It is easier to look at while driving.

Exactly speaking, I drive like this:
Take A4 until exit 56 into A67
Take A67 until exit ....

...unless I know the geography of the place well. If I have any doubts about the direction of the exits, I add the city.

Quote:

I drive like this:

And then you wander why passed Liege, after all it was signposted, only as Luik, and then you can't find Aachen, but there is Aix. Then you get back and drive towards Parijs. OK, this is an example from a messed up region, but I bet you there's Pozsony on Hungarian signs.

Or, there's Braunschweig where you expected Berlin. Or you wonder, have you already passed the exit towards Kassel? Is Braunschweig before Hannover, or after?

Sorry, navigating city names only works well if you know the place to a large extent.
LMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote