daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 13th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #81
LMB
Once BMW, always Honda

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
Navigating by destinations works fine with a general concept of geography. Navigating by road numbers requires a special knowledge of road numbering.
Road numbers are usually marked on the exit signs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
Add to that that names of places are easier to remember.
I've been trying to say that it's "de gustibus". When first time in a completely foreign area, numbers are for me easier to remember. Those are fortunately standard all over the world.
LMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #82
LMB
Once BMW, always Honda

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I'm not sure it's easier to remember "Syracuse, then Binghamton, then Scranton, then Harrisburg, then Hagerstown" than it is to remember "I-81."
That's my point, when I approached The Netherlands from East, I couldn't immediately tell the difference between Apeldoorn, Amersfoort, and to a lesser extent Arnhem and Amsterdam. When one drives in stress, names are recognized by their initial letters and overall shape, and numbers are easier to deal with then.
LMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2010, 12:49 AM   #83
ed110220

Likes (Received): 6

Here's one from the N1 in Cape Town, South Africa.

image hosted on flickr

As Ron said earlier, the exit number (15) is kilometres from the start of the road or start of the pre-1994 province, so 15 km from the start of the N1 in the centre of Cape Town. Underneath is the road number (M26) and name (Monte Vista-boulevard). Generally only urban and suburban roads have both names and numbers.

Where a single exit has more than one off-ramp in one direction, eg a cloverleaf, or where there is more than one exit in the same km (rare) they are numbered A and B.

Normally people speak more of the names than the numbers. Eg if giving directions it would be more common to say "take the Monte Vista Blvd offramp" rather than "take exit 15".
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #84
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

In Portugal (on motorways):

1km

750m

Near the exit

Exit

------------------------------
This one shows that different exits in the same junction share numbers:

DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2010, 08:37 PM   #85
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I guess both problems could be easily solved: on the main road you indicate EXIT and then you put the letters/numbers for the off ramps/accesses.

For instance, in the case of this map, the main I-95 would get something like EXIT 109 A-B. Then, over the secondary lane only, A and B would be proplerly marked.
But... what if there's a CD or branching ramp in one direction and not in the other, like here, on I-20 in Atlanta?

I really think that the Virginia's (and other states') practice of using N, S, E, and W as suffixes instead of A, B, C etc. is the best idea. That way, if you're giving directions from I-20 to the Little Five points district, you can say, "Take I-20 to Exit 60 North," which would work for I-20 either eastbound or westbound. A, B, C suffixes should be used to refer to separate interchanging roads rather than diferent directions on the same road, as occurs at the next interchange to the west. :P

I used to like the idea of numbering CD exits on the CD, but I've come to the conclusion that it's largely a loss, because the overwhelming majority of freeway exits are simple diamonds which branch at the end of the ramp and which therefore require drivers to choose a direction or destination. Extending the logic of exit numbering would require that the left and right turns at the top of offramps be assigned their own number! The exception to that would be cases where a single ramp serves more than one roadway, as in the second example above. According to Google Maps the dual exits eastbound are numbered 59A and 59B, while the single westbound exit is numbered 59A. There I suppose that a case could be made for calling the westbound exit 59 since there's a turnaround that enables motorists to reach Exit 59B without leaving the offramp system, but doing that would be analogous to simply exiting to the road served by Exit 59A, doing a U-turn and then taking Exit 59B-- except that Exit 59B isn't marked on the CD. :P

My head hurts.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2010, 02:06 AM   #86
Martin.

Likes (Received): 40

In Mexico they're signed only by the town, city or road name and sometimes the road number

[IMG]http://i37.************/2vimosl.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i37.************/35lb3ug.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Martin.; August 15th, 2010 at 02:15 AM.
Martin. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2010, 08:15 AM   #87
just_a_guy
Wait, what!?

Likes (Received): 209

Mexico hardly follows it's own standards really. There are exit numbers on one road in Mexico city but the signage is horrible (small letters). Then Monterrey (pictured on the photo above) has it's own style of signage and so does Guadalajara (I could name three styles in the metro area) so it's a bit hard to describe Mexico in that sense.

I know about Japan: In Japan exit numbers are sequential and are shown usually in a white box with green numbers. Most of the exit numbers are signed with the exception of many of the urban areas (that I know of).

Here's some pictures:
http://commondatastorage.googleapis....l/10738231.jpg

http://commondatastorage.googleapis....l/10742528.jpg
just_a_guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 12:03 AM   #88
Nima-Farid
BANNED

Likes (Received): 13

Yeah they should come up with a standard. You can't jsut mix up everything.
Nima-Farid no está en línea   Reply With Quote