daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 10th, 2010, 12:32 AM   #181
fragel

Likes (Received): 55

so far the infrastructure and venue part is pretty well done.

I am still dreaming of a future join bid (if possible...) for the Olympic Games in the name of Pearl River Delta area (Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Hong Kong since they are so close to each other), they have got everything including nice beaches and water areas. (In Beijing 2008, water sports were held in Qingdao, equestrian events in Hong Kong, and football in several other cities). I think either Guangzhou or Shenzhen could hangle it alone, but some cooperation won't hurt.

Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2010, 05:10 AM   #182
CPHbane

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragel View Post
so far the infrastructure and venue part is pretty well done.

I am still dreaming of a future join bid (if possible...) for the Olympic Games in the name of Pearl River Delta area (Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Hong Kong since they are so close to each other), they have got everything including nice beaches and water areas. (In Beijing 2008, water sports were held in Qingdao, equestrian events in Hong Kong, and football in several other cities). I think either Guangzhou or Shenzhen could hangle it alone, but some cooperation won't hurt.

China's ability to hold SOG is top-notch in the world, technically.......

but it needs time for GZ,SZ and HK to get SOG, may be after 30 years.
CPHbane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2010, 06:27 AM   #183
fragel

I know it is not gonna happen in the near future, cities/countries have to take turns
Old October 10th, 2010, 06:32 AM   #184
skyscrapercity103
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

its ok for an asian game
skyscrapercity103 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2010, 07:05 AM   #185
fragel

thanks, this is the best compliment and praise one can expect since it comes from the famous skyscrapercity101
Old October 10th, 2010, 07:10 AM   #186
AjayMB

Likes (Received): 0

Beautiful stadiums...Good work China
AjayMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #187
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscrapercity103 View Post
its ok for an asian game
Please stop trolling. Continue and you will be removed.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #188
teddybear
City Reformist

Likes (Received): 487

wow. china does it again! a very well done facilities for the games! And definitely better than the Commonwealth Games by India by a wide margin.
Old October 10th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #189
YelloPerilo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
wow. china does it again! a very well done facilities for the games! And definitely better than the Commonwealth Games by India by a wide margin.
But the Guangzhou Asian Games facilities are not world class or world best.
YelloPerilo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #190
Big Cat

Likes (Received): 4

It's WOW WOW
Big Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 03:19 AM   #191
Geography

Likes (Received): 103

Those apartments look amazing. Sadly, my Google Earth estimates put them about 40 miles from the Guangzhou Opera House (the center of Guangzhou) so the location is terrible for future tenants wishing to commute.

Last edited by Geography; October 11th, 2010 at 04:07 AM.
Geography no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 09:40 AM   #192
fragel

I checked it on Google map and it says 40km (route link). Anyway, it has a subway line connecting the community to downtown area so location is not that bad.
Old October 11th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #193
fragel

China eyes 2nd Olympics as Asian Games set to begin
Posted: 11 October 2010 1119 hrs
source: AFP

GUANGZHOU, China: A month before the opening of the Asian Games in southern China, the world's most populous nation has already set its sights on a bigger prize -- hosting its second Olympics.

Officials and residents in Guangzhou, a booming provincial capital whose industrial might has powered China to over 30 years of spectacular economic growth, say they are ready for a Guangzhou Olympics in the not-so-distant future.

"In my personal opinion, in 10 years time, Guangzhou may have the opportunity to bid for the Olympic Games," Gu Shiyang, vice secretary general of the Guangzhou Organising Committee for the Asian Games, told AFP.

"In 10 or 20 years time, it (will be) time for China to have the Olympic Games again," he said in an interview.

Beijing hosted China's first Olympics in 2008, wowing the world with sparkling new facilities, seamless organisation and Chinese athletes that topped the medal table over perennial powerhouses the United States and Russia.

In preparation for the November 12-27 Asian Games, the capital of Guangdong province has followed in Beijing's footsteps, building new roads, bridges, housing complexes, railway stations and subway lines.

The city has also worked to clean up its water and air and undertook massive urban renewal projects, all while building or refurbishing dozens of modern sports facilities.

"To host international events like the Olympic Games or the Asian Games, I think Guangzhou is next to Beijing in terms of venues, in terms of experience of organising such big events and also in terms of talent," Gu said.

"For the Olympic Games, you need to have sufficient venues and sports facilities. Guangzhou has these kinds of facilities... We don't need to build more venues for the Olympic Games."

Hosting a second Olympics within a relatively short time span would not be unprecedented.

After staging the Winter Games in Lake Placid in 1980, the United States hosted the Summer Games in Los Angeles in 1984, and again in Atlanta in 1996. The Winter Games came back to the US in Salt Lake City in 2002.

In Asia, Japan put on the Winter Olympics in Sapporo in 1972 and in Nagano in 1998.

Gu emphasised that a bid had not been formulated and the central government had not given the city a green light to prepare such a plan.

He further added that the upcoming Asiad -- the second-largest sporting event after the Olympics, featuring 12,000 athletes from 45 countries and regions -- needed to be a success before any formal bid plan would go ahead.

Wu Yucheng, an official at Guangdong's government-run provincial sports bureau, also hinted at the city's Olympic interest.

"I very much support our nation hosting more big international Games, Games with big impacts," Wu told AFP.

"I believe that by hosting a successful Asian Games, this will give us an opportunity and the experience to host a future Olympic Games."

Residents of this sprawling city of over 10 million people, located about 140 kilometres (85 miles) northwest of Hong Kong, are excitedly awaiting the opening of the Asian Games, and keen to live in a potential Olympic city.

"I haven't heard anything about a bid for the Olympic Games, but definitely I would support this," said Chen Song, 45, as he awaited his turn in a game of badminton in a Guangzhou park.

"If we could succeed in such a bid, this would be the pride of Guangzhou."

-AFP/jl
Old October 11th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #194
fragel

And to think I am the only one dreaming of this. The official sounds much more confident: "in the not-so-distant future." He clearly understands that the time to wait, the success of the upcoming Asiad and the approval from central government are prerequisites for a future bid, but I like the way he's thinking. Only thing disappointing me is that they definitely want to go solo.
Old October 11th, 2010, 07:56 PM   #195
fragel

Asiad: One month ahead, Guangzhou ready to go

By Robert Saiget (AFP)
source: AFP

GUANGZHOU, China — After seven years of painstaking preparations, Guangzhou -- the southern city at the heart of China's economic miracle -- has reinvented itself and is ready for next month's Asian Games.

Organisers say they hope the 2010 Asiad -- the world's second-largest sporting event after the Olympics -- will help the booming metropolis once known as Canton to join the ranks of the world's elite cities.

"After the Asian Games, Guangzhou will not only be known for business and trade, but also sport and lifestyle," the vice secretary general of the Guangzhou Asian Games Organising Committee, Gu Shiyang, told AFP.

"Guangzhou will not only be known as an important city in China, but also in Asia and the world."

Nearly 12,000 athletes from 45 countries and regions will compete for 476 sports titles at the Games in Guangzhou, which sits in the Pearl River Delta, the hub of China's huge export-oriented "workshop of the world".

Just as Beijing did before the 2008 Olympics, Guangzhou has poured billions of dollars into infrastructure projects before the Asiad -- a new rail station, a gleaming trade centre, subway lines, housing projects, highways and bridges.

The opening ceremony of the November 12-27 showpiece will be held in a new amphitheatre built on an island in the Pearl River and nestled beneath the towering skyscrapers of the newly renovated waterfront business district.

Construction on 58 renovated sporting venues and 12 brand-new facilities were finished by the end of September, when crews moved in and began testing equipment and going through Games rehearsals, Gu said.

Four years after Doha staged what was widely seen as the best Asian Games ever, Gu said his city is hoping to outdo the Qatari capital in an effort to one day see Guangzhou hosting an Olympic Games.

But as Delhi found out to its embarrassment as it frantically battled to be ready for the ongoing Commonwealth Games, holding a major multi-sports event is a huge undertaking.

And while there has been none of the chaos of the Delhi preparations, not all has gone smoothly in the run-up in Guangzhou, a city of more than 10 million located about 140 kilometres (85 miles) northwest of Hong Kong.

Officials admit preparations have been fraught with snags, including massive traffic jams during construction and the eviction of numerous unhappy residents to make room for new building projects.

"In the course of construction, of course there was a series of problems," Pan Guolong, an official in charge of venue construction, told AFP.

"During the process, we went through some difficulties and inconveniences, but we have made a better city for the people. Now, most of the people are supportive."

Down the road from the new amphitheatre, where dilapidated housing blocks are still being prepared for demolition, police prevented journalists from interviewing evictees.

"Of course, no one likes to be forcibly evicted from their homes," Wang Yunxiang, a taxi driver, said as he passed by rows of trucks moving people out.

"But the government says this is progress. No one can oppose the government."

At the Capital Centre, a towering luxury apartment complex which overlooks the amphitheatre, residents will be kicked out of their flats during the opening ceremony due to security concerns.

"Some high-level officials will be attending the opening ceremony, so buildings within 500 metres of the amphitheatre will be evacuated," said a building estate agent who identified herself only by her surname Lin.

"You foreigners don't understand -- this is the Chinese way, what the government says goes."

On November 1, the city will start evicting beggars from the streets, while anyone hoping to buy a kitchen knife or other large cutting tools will have to visit designated shops and show identification, according to state media.

"Security is our top concern and our top responsibility for the success of the Games," Gu said.

"We are fully aware of the threats from outside the country and also the risks within the city or within the territory. We have made great efforts to make our city safe, to make our Games safe."

To relieve the city's notorious traffic congestion, restrictions will be implemented from November 1 to get half of the nearly two million registered vehicles off the roads during the Games, officials said.

The government is also seeking to ensure that stands will be full of spectators -- tickets are being given away to students, enterprises and government institutions.

"We don't consider or take ticket sales as a most important channel of revenue... the first principle of ticket pricing is affordability," Gu said.

"The most important thing is participation. We would like to have more citizens, more spectators to come and watch the Games."
Old October 11th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #196
fragel

the article mentioned traffic jams, eviction of tenants from some buildings and beggars, most importantly, inconvenience brought by the games preparation, wonder if there are more problems.

It seems that most residents in Guangzhou are supportive of the Asiad. I don't understand Cantonese so I can barely understand what they are saying on BBS, but seems they are quite excited. Many of them have already been involved in some volunteer work. I did come across some people opposing the games on forums though, but the opposition is somehow in general, mostly focused on the money spent. Interestingly, like in the case of Shanghai Expo, the money spent on metro systems and high speed rail were considered part of the Games budget by forumers, so naturally the number is huge. Rumors on the internet are even saying the Asiad costs over 200 billion RMB ($30 billion). But considering that dozens of Chinese cities are building metro systems and high speed railway stations with or without any big event, it would make no sense to say that the infrastructure investment is for Asiad, of course the Asiad speeds up the construction, but that is a different story.
Old October 12th, 2010, 03:45 AM   #197
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17796

Guangzhou is spending quite a lot of money upgrading its infrastructure, including new subway lines. I guess even without the Asian Games, the spending will still be made, albeit at a slower pace. I have heard of rumblings of evictions from the Hong Kong media, but other than that the Games have seemed largely unnoticed on our side of the border.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 06:22 AM   #198
toddhubert

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloPerilo View Post
Not all regions in Europe are using carpets to cover the floor. Southern Europeans are using more often tiles and stonewares due to the warmer climate.
I would prefer wood or tile instead of carpet even in the cold climate, for carpet it is so difficult to clean and it's easy for bacteria to hide.
toddhubert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 06:56 AM   #199
Geography

Likes (Received): 103

I figured Asian homes would want carpet since Asians take their shoes off when they go in the house. Carpet feels better on bare feet than hardwood or tile.
Geography no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 08:35 AM   #200
fragel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I have heard of rumblings of evictions from the Hong Kong media, but other than that the Games have seemed largely unnoticed on our side of the border.
Not surprising to me. Some people from Guangzhou are complaining that there is not enough media coverage in cities outside Pearl River Delta in the mainland as well. International media coverage is also limited, mostly Asian countries reporting their athletes preparing for the Asiad. But look at the bright side, sometimes no news is good news, as we all know if there is a wave of reports on the Games, something bad probably happened.

Tags
asian games, guangzhou