daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 12th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #201
GreatChina2006

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragel View Post
China eyes 2nd Olympics as Asian Games set to begin
Posted: 11 October 2010 1119 hrs
source: AFP

GUANGZHOU, China: A month before the opening of the Asian Games in southern China, the world's most populous nation has already set its sights on a bigger prize -- hosting its second Olympics.

Officials and residents in Guangzhou, a booming provincial capital whose industrial might has powered China to over 30 years of spectacular economic growth, say they are ready for a Guangzhou Olympics in the not-so-distant future.

"In my personal opinion, in 10 years time, Guangzhou may have the opportunity to bid for the Olympic Games," Gu Shiyang, vice secretary general of the Guangzhou Organising Committee for the Asian Games, told AFP.

"In 10 or 20 years time, it (will be) time for China to have the Olympic Games again," he said in an interview.

Beijing hosted China's first Olympics in 2008, wowing the world with sparkling new facilities, seamless organisation and Chinese athletes that topped the medal table over perennial powerhouses the United States and Russia.

In preparation for the November 12-27 Asian Games, the capital of Guangdong province has followed in Beijing's footsteps, building new roads, bridges, housing complexes, railway stations and subway lines.

The city has also worked to clean up its water and air and undertook massive urban renewal projects, all while building or refurbishing dozens of modern sports facilities.

"To host international events like the Olympic Games or the Asian Games, I think Guangzhou is next to Beijing in terms of venues, in terms of experience of organising such big events and also in terms of talent," Gu said.

"For the Olympic Games, you need to have sufficient venues and sports facilities. Guangzhou has these kinds of facilities... We don't need to build more venues for the Olympic Games."

Hosting a second Olympics within a relatively short time span would not be unprecedented.

After staging the Winter Games in Lake Placid in 1980, the United States hosted the Summer Games in Los Angeles in 1984, and again in Atlanta in 1996. The Winter Games came back to the US in Salt Lake City in 2002.

In Asia, Japan put on the Winter Olympics in Sapporo in 1972 and in Nagano in 1998.

Gu emphasised that a bid had not been formulated and the central government had not given the city a green light to prepare such a plan.

He further added that the upcoming Asiad -- the second-largest sporting event after the Olympics, featuring 12,000 athletes from 45 countries and regions -- needed to be a success before any formal bid plan would go ahead.

Wu Yucheng, an official at Guangdong's government-run provincial sports bureau, also hinted at the city's Olympic interest.

"I very much support our nation hosting more big international Games, Games with big impacts," Wu told AFP.

"I believe that by hosting a successful Asian Games, this will give us an opportunity and the experience to host a future Olympic Games."

Residents of this sprawling city of over 10 million people, located about 140 kilometres (85 miles) northwest of Hong Kong, are excitedly awaiting the opening of the Asian Games, and keen to live in a potential Olympic city.

"I haven't heard anything about a bid for the Olympic Games, but definitely I would support this," said Chen Song, 45, as he awaited his turn in a game of badminton in a Guangzhou park.

"If we could succeed in such a bid, this would be the pride of Guangzhou."

-AFP/jl
Jesus, not again!!
I want FIFA World CUP!
If Chinese football team can enter 2014 and 2018 World Cup consecutively I think China should consider hosting 2026 FIFA World Cup.
GreatChina2006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #202
GreatChina2006

Quote:
Asiad: One month ahead, Guangzhou ready to go

By Robert Saiget (AFP)
source: AFP

GUANGZHOU, China — After seven years of painstaking preparations, Guangzhou -- the southern city at the heart of China's economic miracle -- has reinvented itself and is ready for next month's Asian Games.

Organisers say they hope the 2010 Asiad -- the world's second-largest sporting event after the Olympics -- will help the booming metropolis once known as Canton to join the ranks of the world's elite cities.

"After the Asian Games, Guangzhou will not only be known for business and trade, but also sport and lifestyle," the vice secretary general of the Guangzhou Asian Games Organising Committee, Gu Shiyang, told AFP.

"Guangzhou will not only be known as an important city in China, but also in Asia and the world."

Nearly 12,000 athletes from 45 countries and regions will compete for 476 sports titles at the Games in Guangzhou, which sits in the Pearl River Delta, the hub of China's huge export-oriented "workshop of the world".

Just as Beijing did before the 2008 Olympics, Guangzhou has poured billions of dollars into infrastructure projects before the Asiad -- a new rail station, a gleaming trade centre, subway lines, housing projects, highways and bridges.

The opening ceremony of the November 12-27 showpiece will be held in a new amphitheatre built on an island in the Pearl River and nestled beneath the towering skyscrapers of the newly renovated waterfront business district.

Construction on 58 renovated sporting venues and 12 brand-new facilities were finished by the end of September, when crews moved in and began testing equipment and going through Games rehearsals, Gu said.

Four years after Doha staged what was widely seen as the best Asian Games ever, Gu said his city is hoping to outdo the Qatari capital in an effort to one day see Guangzhou hosting an Olympic Games.

But as Delhi found out to its embarrassment as it frantically battled to be ready for the ongoing Commonwealth Games, holding a major multi-sports event is a huge undertaking.

And while there has been none of the chaos of the Delhi preparations, not all has gone smoothly in the run-up in Guangzhou, a city of more than 10 million located about 140 kilometres (85 miles) northwest of Hong Kong.

Officials admit preparations have been fraught with snags, including massive traffic jams during construction and the eviction of numerous unhappy residents to make room for new building projects.

"In the course of construction, of course there was a series of problems," Pan Guolong, an official in charge of venue construction, told AFP.

"During the process, we went through some difficulties and inconveniences, but we have made a better city for the people. Now, most of the people are supportive."

Down the road from the new amphitheatre, where dilapidated housing blocks are still being prepared for demolition, police prevented journalists from interviewing evictees.

"Of course, no one likes to be forcibly evicted from their homes," Wang Yunxiang, a taxi driver, said as he passed by rows of trucks moving people out.

"But the government says this is progress. No one can oppose the government."

At the Capital Centre, a towering luxury apartment complex which overlooks the amphitheatre, residents will be kicked out of their flats during the opening ceremony due to security concerns.

"Some high-level officials will be attending the opening ceremony, so buildings within 500 metres of the amphitheatre will be evacuated," said a building estate agent who identified herself only by her surname Lin.

"You foreigners don't understand -- this is the Chinese way, what the government says goes."

On November 1, the city will start evicting beggars from the streets, while anyone hoping to buy a kitchen knife or other large cutting tools will have to visit designated shops and show identification, according to state media.

"Security is our top concern and our top responsibility for the success of the Games," Gu said.

"We are fully aware of the threats from outside the country and also the risks within the city or within the territory. We have made great efforts to make our city safe, to make our Games safe."

To relieve the city's notorious traffic congestion, restrictions will be implemented from November 1 to get half of the nearly two million registered vehicles off the roads during the Games, officials said.

The government is also seeking to ensure that stands will be full of spectators -- tickets are being given away to students, enterprises and government institutions.

"We don't consider or take ticket sales as a most important channel of revenue... the first principle of ticket pricing is affordability," Gu said.

"The most important thing is participation. We would like to have more citizens, more spectators to come and watch the Games."
A month ahead, I'm sure Guangzhou's motor robbers are ready too.
Forgive me, just kidding.
GreatChina2006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 12:33 PM   #203
YelloPerilo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography View Post
I figured Asian homes would want carpet since Asians take their shoes off when they go in the house. Carpet feels better on bare feet than hardwood or tile.
I live in northern Germany and most people I know prefer wooden flooring, including myself.
YelloPerilo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 12:43 PM   #204
aucina

totally true! I d say it s like the olympics in the 90s.
aucina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #205
null
Mind Reader

Likes (Received): 1019

Quote:
so far the infrastructure and venue part is pretty well done.

I am still dreaming of a future join bid (if possible...) for the Olympic Games in the name of Pearl River Delta area (Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Hong Kong since they are so close to each other), they have got everything including nice beaches and water areas. (In Beijing 2008, water sports were held in Qingdao, equestrian events in Hong Kong, and football in several other cities). I think either Guangzhou or Shenzhen could hangle it alone, but some cooperation won't hurt.
A Suzhou - Wuxi - Changzhou joint bid would be far better.
null no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 01:40 PM   #206
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

why not include Shanghai?
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 04:19 PM   #207
shiphone

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatChina2006 View Post
A month ahead, I'm sure Guangzhou's motor robbers are ready too.
Forgive me, just kidding.
motors have been forbidden in the central area of Guangzhou since 2007
shiphone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 12:41 AM   #208
fragel

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
A Suzhou - Wuxi - Changzhou joint bid would be far better.
Hardly. They don't have experience of hosting large international sporting events. Even Shanghai doesn't have it--I don't think Eastern Asian Games can be labeled as a big event. Cities like Shanghai certainly have the ability and infrastructures to host a good OG (Shanghai EXPO already has more than 60 million visitors), but it seems natural to me that the Olympic committee would prefer a city which has hosted some big multi-sport events. If Guangzhou Asian Games turn out be an exceptional success, this would definitely be a big plus for them. But I also think politics and money can totally change the story, for example Atlanta.
Old October 13th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #209
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18165

I guess the central government wants to spread the big events to the 3 key cities in the East. Beijing had 2008, Shanghai had Expo, and now it's Guangzhou's turn for the Asiad, and perhaps an Olympics.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 06:06 PM   #210
YelloPerilo
BANNED

They should promote the western region with a big event as well. Maybe Winter Olympics in the Tibet province or Xinjiang province. But I think Dongbei will get the games first.
Old October 13th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #211
CPHbane

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloPerilo View Post
They should promote the western region with a big event as well. Maybe Winter Olympics in the Tibet province or Xinjiang province. But I think Dongbei will get the games first.
For Xinjiang, the counterpart is Kazakhstan. Almaty bids for WOG.

For Xizang, impossible......
CPHbane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 07:36 PM   #212
YelloPerilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPHbane View Post
For Xizang, impossible......
I can already hear the shril shrieks of free teabag mob.
Old October 17th, 2010, 06:56 AM   #213
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

10.16 Test game of the new International Sports Art Center

Houston Rockets 95:85 New Jersey Nets

(sina.com)
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #214
CarlosBlueDragon
CarlosRedDragon

Likes (Received): 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
10.16 Test game of the new International Sports Art Center

Houston Rockets 95:85 New Jersey Nets

(sina.com)
All girl smile....
> 同一个做夢
> 同一个中国
(同一个北京)(同一个上海)(同一个天津)(同一个广州)(同一个深圳)(同一个重庆)(同一个杭州)(同一个南京)(同一个沈陽)(同一个武汉)(同一个成都)(同一个長春)(同一个长沙)(同一个苏州)(同一个无锡)(同一个扬州)(同一个西安)(同一个吉林)(同一个青島)(同一个大连)(同一个厦门)(同一个潮州)(同一个高州)(同一个香港)(同一个澳門)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I LoVe ChInA
CarlosBlueDragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #215
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18165

Posted: Monday October 11, 2010 12:08AM
Grumbling aside, China's ready for Asian Games

GUANGZHOU, China (AP) -- The roads are freshly paved, taxi drivers are practicing English phrases and rehearsals are in full swing at the opening ceremony venue on a tiny island in the Pearl River.

The Asian Games get underway in one month's time in this leafy city of urban bustle and charming alleyways, bringing together more than 11,500 athletes competing in 42 sports. The Olympics-style event is shaping up to be another well-run, well-organized spectacular by the Chinese government, though wide-ranging preparation projects set off grumbling among some residents who see them as an inconvenience and waste of money.

"The Asian Games will elevate Guangzhou's status in the world. It will make the city more international. But if all things are decided by the will of the authority, while suppressing public supervision and criticism, then it will also have a negative side," said Li Gongming, a former delegate to the provincial legislative advisory body who has been an outspoken critic.

China's government has sought prestige projects like the 2008 Beijing Olympics and this year's Shanghai World Expo as a way of bolstering its status as an emerging world power. The Guangzhou Asian Games are a "grand event ... a platform to show the tremendous achievements of China's economic and social development," the organizing committee said in a statement.

It's uncommon in China for ordinary citizens to speak out for fear of retribution from authorities, but this issue has touched a nerve in Guangzhou. Residents here have always identified more closely with Hong Kong, the former British colony just two hours away by train which enjoys Western-style civil liberties, than with Beijing 1,200 miles (1,930 kilometers) away.

"I'm not thinking about the Asian Games, I'm concerned about my house," said 87-year-old Tan Yisheng, who lives in a historic part of Guangzhou slated to be demolished and converted into an upscale shopping and entertainment district. That project is not directly related to the Asian Games, though brick walls were hastily built around the rubble of early 1900s homes recently to hide the mess from next month's visitors.

As the clock ticks down to the 9:42 p.m. torch lighting on Nov. 12, some minor construction projects around Guangzhou have yet to wrap up. But there's nothing like the panic in New Delhi ahead of the current Commonwealth Games, which was so behind schedule and plagued with problems that some wondered whether the Oct. 3-14 event would happen at all.

The chaos tarnished the reputation of India, China's regional rival, and laid bare its deeply entrenched problems with bureaucratic mismanagement. Troubles continue to pile up since competition began, including sickened athletes, malfunctioning results systems and near-empty stadiums.

China, on the other hand, is going to great lengths to create a flawless event. Guangzhou has repaved its roadways, built new subway lines and planted colorful flowers along streets and overpasses.

There's a sparkling "Asian Games Town" a half-hour outside the city center where high-rise apartments will house athletes, journalists and officials. Fleets of minibuses are already parked in neat rows, surrounded by manicured lawns dotted with picturesque stone pavilions.

More than 500,000 volunteers-drawn from 1.5 million applicants-will be dispatched throughout the city. Cab drivers have been taking mandatory English lessons for months, learning phrases like "Welcome to the 16th Asian Games!" and "Here is your change."

Authorities even installed imitation Spanish-style roofs on dreary apartment buildings, particularly those lining the highway connecting the airport to the city. Locals call it "putting on new clothes and a hat," as many buildings were also given a fresh coat of paint, all at government expense.

"Look at these houses, they put a new wrapping on it to make it look pretty. But I don't think it looks good at all, it looks fake," said a taxi driver surnamed Li, gesturing to the buildings where underwear and towels were hanging out to dry on balconies, and questioning how much it all cost.

The organizing committee did not answer a question asking how much was spent on upgrade projects around the city, but said in its statement it was grateful to local residents for their "understanding and support."

"Preparation work for the Asian Games is basically completed, it has entered the final stage. There is a smaller impact on the daily lives of Guangzhou residents," it said. For their troubles, residents will get free public transportation during the games, free wireless Internet in some parts of the city for two months, and be eligible for ticket giveaways and other incentives.

So far, ticket sales have been strong, especially for events like badminton and table tennis, said Jerry Wu, deputy director of the ticketing center, adding that a final batch of tickets would be released for sale later this month.

Tickets to the opening ceremonies, which cost as much as 6,800 yuan (about $1,000), are sold out.

Details of the ceremonies remain secret, though on a recent visit chanting and music could be heard from inside the fenced-off venue, a half-stadium with gill-like openings along the side. Attendees will arrive by boat on opening night, the organizing committee has said, cruising 6 miles (9.2 kilometers) along the Pearl River, taking in sights such as the latticed Guangzhou TV Tower and the city's UFO-like opera house.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #216
fragel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Tickets to the opening ceremonies, which cost as much as 6,800 yuan (about $1,000), are sold out.
The opening ceremony has four types of tickets: RMB 6800, 4800, 2010 and 1600. On the internet the RMB 6800-ticket went up to $4000.
Old October 18th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #217
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Its really exceptional how well Guangzhou have done. Cities should learn from this.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 09:54 PM   #218
SSCaddict
Sagar

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
The chaos tarnished the reputation of India, China's regional rival,
why do they always consider rivals??

btw are closing ceremony tickets also sold out??
SSCaddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 10:05 PM   #219
fragel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCaddict View Post
why do they always consider rivals??
'cause they can't write an 'acceptable' report without saying so, it is like a cheap selling point.

Quote:
btw are closing ceremony tickets also sold out??
no, only 80% of them were sold by Oct 14th.
Old October 19th, 2010, 08:03 PM   #220
fragel

Guangzhou Chess Institute

source: sina

Last edited by fragel; October 19th, 2010 at 08:24 PM.
fragel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asian games, guangzhou