daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 28th, 2010, 01:35 AM   #101
fragel

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
9.26 Asian Game village buildings for sale now

There are 8078 suits available for sale, including 3800 from media village (2 bedrooms), 3598 from athlete village (2~3 bedrooms), 680 from official village.

The price is 11,000 ~ 14,000 yuan per sq meters. Buyers can move in before June 30 2011.
I am not familiar with the real estate market in Guangzhou, but the price seems relatively low. Well, not all people can afford that based on salaries, but compared to the condo prices in Shanghai and Beijing, this looks like a good deal.

Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2010, 06:41 AM   #102
fragel

"Le Yangyang" as Moon Festival lanterns

This year's Moon Festival(AKA Mid-Autumn Festival) was on Sep 22nd. The Asian Games mascots Le Yangyang were displayed at the lantern show in Guangzhou.

by hxhgh

Old September 28th, 2010, 06:41 AM   #103
fragel

Chinese athletes training for Asian Games

by 洪星星

Old September 28th, 2010, 06:48 AM   #104
fragel

NBA China Games 2010 at Guangzhou International Sport Art Center

New Jersey Nets and Houston Rockets will play this year's NBA China Games in Beijing (Oct. 14th) and Guangzhou. On October 16th, they will play at Guangzhou International Sport Art Center. The center, jointly invested by the NBA (China) and AEG, will also host the semi-final and final games for basketball at the Asian Games.

Apparently former Nets player Yi Jianlian (native of Guangdong) and Rockets player Yao Ming playing against each other was supposed to be the biggest selling point, too bad it won't happen after Yi was traded to Wizards.

also here is a newspiece at NBA.com about the games.
Old September 28th, 2010, 09:07 AM   #105
fragel

Guangzhou residents will get free public transportation and more during Asian Games

To compensate local residents for the inconvenience caused by the Asian Games construction, Guangzhou municipal government decides to offer a “Thank you” package. The package includes a thank you letter from the mayor (meh...), three more holidays, 30 day free public transportation, free souvenir, free stamps and free wifi for every resident during the Asian Games. The government will also draw lots to distribute 1 million+ free game tickets, 150k show tickets and 150k movie tickets among Guangzhou residents. Each student will get one extra gift pack. Every low income resident will get 500 RMB ($75). That is quite a lot compared to the EXPO compensation package in Shanghai.

news in Chinese: sina.com
Old September 28th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #106
GreatChina2006

Likes (Received): 0

Is Guangzhou's basketball gym NBA standard? As I know only Wukesong sports center is NBA standard in China.
Does anyone know wether Guangdong Hongyuan basketball team will move into this gym in the next CBA season?
GreatChina2006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 09:40 AM   #107
TheTramp

Likes (Received): 17

man, anything china wants to build, they just build. money's never an issue there.
Old September 28th, 2010, 09:48 AM   #108
fragel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatChina2006 View Post
Is Guangzhou's basketball gym NBA standard? As I know only Wukesong sports center is NBA standard in China.
Yeah it is NBA standard, and NBA is involved in project proposal, designing and construction. After all, NBA is its main investor. It is newly built, and often compared to Toyota Center in news reports.

Quote:
Does anyone know wether Guangdong Hongyuan basketball team will move into this gym in the next CBA season?
probably not, since they will move to Dongguan Basketball Center after 2011. I am not sure though.
Old September 28th, 2010, 09:54 AM   #109
fragel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
man, anything china wants to build, they just build. money's never an issue there.
Of course it is an issue everywhere The venues are not built at once.
Old September 28th, 2010, 10:02 AM   #110
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6839

This NBA game is also one of the test games for this venue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragel View Post
NBA China Games 2010 at Guangzhou International Sport Art Center

New Jersey Nets and Houston Rockets will play this year's NBA China Games in Beijing (Oct. 14th) and Guangzhou. On October 16th, they will play at Guangzhou International Sport Art Center. The center, jointly invested by the NBA (China) and AEG, will also host the semi-final and final games for basketball at the Asian Games.

Apparently former Nets player Yi Jianlian (native of Guangdong) and Rockets player Yao Ming playing against each other was supposed to be the biggest selling point, too bad it won't happen after Yi was traded to Wizards.

also here is a newspiece at NBA.com about the games.
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 10:14 AM   #111
big-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatChina2006 View Post
Yes. Actually NBA is one of the owners of this gym (the other two owners are AEG and Guangzhou Development Burea).

NBA is planning to build 12 NBA standard gyms in China, the Guangzhou gym is one of them (18,000 seats, 1.6 billion yuan investment, completed in September 2010).

There's another NBA standard gym are being built in Shanghai: Shanghai Baoshan Sports Center, a gym and a library (Invested 450 million yuan by NBA and AEG), will open October 2011 after 15-month construction.

rendering

Old September 28th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #112
psychedelic

Likes (Received): 1393

Quote:
it is part of the Chinese culture and philosophy. kids are taught to be modest or humble if you will. 'proud' is easily taken as 'cocky'. So people should not take the words when a Chinese say 'No, No, I am far from that good', actually he/she is waiting for you to say, "But you are indeed very good"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates View Post
China is well prepared as usual, big difference when compared to India's venues and how India is about to host its commonwealth games.
I see what you mean & completely agree with you! :smilie:

Last edited by psychedelic; September 28th, 2010 at 02:48 PM.
psychedelic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #113
psychedelic

Quote:
First of all, it is 'Chinese workers'. There are female workers as well.

Well, I don't have the data of the whole workforce. But the number would be smaller than expected since most venues were completed years ago for other purposes (national games, national university games etc). Only 8 venues (out of 83 venues, of which 53 are competing venues, 17 are training venues and 13 are back-up venues) are newly built, besides the ceremony venue and Asian Games Town. Anyway, even the number is small by Chinese standard, I believe it would still be huge. Just imagine the total number of volunteers is over 1 million now.

There is one example which is the Guangzhou Chess Institute. The construction company in charge of this project was reported to have deployed 500-600 workers on the 10,000 m^2 site. It is a small venue, but that might give you some idea of the whole picture.
Wow! it's good to know that the productivity of Chinese workers has gone up so much, it has got to do with Chairman Mao and his policy of making opium consumption illegal. Opium is a very bad drug it makes a person sleepy and unproductive, I am sure China's productivity will go up even more in the years to come as chewing of opium becomes even less common among it's citizens. I have become a big fan of Chairman Mao now, and am beginning to see what a visionary he truly was.

OMG! that's truly a huge number of volunteers. Will all of them be volunteers? Or will some plainclothes policemen be thrown in for good measure as well? Anyway fantastic work with the stadiums, Guangju is a splendid city and I am truly in awe of China now.

Last edited by psychedelic; September 28th, 2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old September 28th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #114
big-dog

Paan chewing is a problem in India not China. jk. Who cares of Chairman Mao and Opiums in nowadays? Time to update your fact buddy.

Don't get me wrong, I've been Hyderabad/Mumbai/Delhi/Agra and I love India. But one thing that frustrated me on my trips is that India people really need to learn some fact of today's China.

Most Chinese people know India is a vivid democracy with some problems but less Indian people know China is now as free as India (if not with more freedom) at every personal aspects. Yes politically there's no freedom but who really cares voting

Please pay a visit to China if you can to offset some of your bias. Sorry if my words offend anybody but I'd like to share my India impressions and photos with you guys.
Old September 28th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #115
psychedelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
Paan chewing is a problem in India not China. jk. Who cares of Chairman Mao and Opiums in nowadays? Time to update your fact buddy.

Don't get me wrong, I've been Hyderabad/Mumbai/Delhi/Agra and I love India. But one thing that frustrated me on my trips is that India people really need to learn some fact of today's China.

Most Chinese people know India is a vivid democracy with some problems but less Indian people know China is now as free as India (if not with more freedom) at every personal aspects. Yes politically there's no freedom but who really cares voting

Please pay a visit to China if you can to offset some of your bias. Sorry if my words offend anybody but I'd like to share my India impressions and photos with you guys.
I totally agree with you when you say China is free, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I only heaped praise on China for it's spectacular stadiums, work ethics etc. I also think that Indians should be as aware of the Chinese as the Chinese are of them. I only mentioned China's past to contrast it with today's China, which I'm sure you'll agree is a good thing. I think Paan chewing is disgusting too and I hope the government there learns from China and bans paan like opium was banned in China.

I certainly am not qualified to ask you to post photos from your visit to India, may be you can discuss this with some of the Indian forum members.
and good luck!
Old September 28th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #116
T74

Likes (Received): 1

you may want to crack open a book

China did have issues with opium, but to stop this it as banned in China back in 1729, with trafficking eventually punishable by death.

China's defeat to the British in the Opium Wars meant that open and virtually unrestricted imports/sales was forced upon them

the British basically go down as histories greatest ever drug dealers, shipping thousands of tonnes of opium EACH YEAR to China. At its peak, the British shipped 6,700 tonne to China in 1879. Their insistence on legalization also lead to local production exploding to 35,000 tonne at the same time, resulting in about a third of Chinese adults being regular opium users.

To put this volume into context, today we have about 7,500 tonne of opium being produced.

The British fought two wars to defend their right to sell opium in China, and benefited additionally by basically bankrupting their Empire through reparations (yes, the Chinese had to compensate England for the war the English started because they could not sell drugs), gaining trade and territorial concessions, and of course the jewel of Hong Kong.

As someone of Anglo-Celtic decent, I think the whole period shameful, and the up there with the slave trade as being ome of the biggest disgraces of the colonial period
T74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #117
psychedelic

You guys really don't get it, I did say that opium chewing is banned in China (so I am aware of what's happening). Please try to understand the subtle meaning of my posts....
Old September 28th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #118
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychedelic View Post
You guys really don't get it, I did say that opium chewing is banned in China (so I am aware of what's happening). Please try to understand the subtle meaning of my posts....
you actually said Mao sorted out the chinese opium problem. I just wanted to point out it was not the chinese who created the problem in the first place - they just got left with the mess
T74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #119
psychedelic

Good to see that the MESS has been cleared up so efficiently!
Old September 28th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #120
big-dog

Guangzhou Asian Games torch "The Tide"

(sports.eastday.com)

Tags
asian games, guangzhou