daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues

United States Urban Issues Discussions and pictures of highrises, urbanity, architecture and the built environment of US cities

Old August 14th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #21
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Likes (Received): 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsider View Post
Nobody cares milky. You don't need to remind me that I'm an urban-snob. Take it or leave it.
No, I'm just suggesting you may not know what you're talking about.
For instance, you may find yourself in a city you're not overly familiar with, and really don't know where to go for that city to "earn" a respectable rating for your awesome/meh listings! Therefore, the city suffers from your shortsidedness.
Now, go back and apologize to Springfield!
Better yet, why don't you guys tell us why you found that certain city deserved a rating of "meh". Usually a city requires a certain amount of time to cover effectively, regardless of size.
I suggest you make amends by spending a full week in Springfield, then get back to us.
milquetoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 14th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #22
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Get your butt back to Paris also
Old August 14th, 2010, 03:43 PM   #23
Northsider

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
For instance, you may find yourself in a city you're not overly familiar with, and really don't know where to go for that city to "earn" a respectable rating for your awesome/meh listings! Therefore, the city suffers from your shortsidedness.
Why should I have to go around and have to dig and find things? I'm not looking for something crazy, just some good restaurants and a good urban atmosphere...

Quote:
Therefore, the city suffers from your shortsidedness.
So what? Do I write travel books? Am I paid critic? I travel for a living, but I'm certainly not a credible authority on the subject. I'm giving my opinion from what I've seen and experienced, and the results are above.

Quote:
Better yet, why don't you guys tell us why you found that certain city deserved a rating of "meh".
To you? No, you are only here to stir up the pot, I doubt you actually care. If anyone else wants a specific reason for a location, I'd be glad to give it. I've traveled to far too many places to give an in depth review for each.

Quote:
Get your butt back to Paris also
Nah, I have way too many other places to see before return there.

Quote:
Now, go back and apologize to Springfield!
Are you for real?
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2010, 03:06 AM   #24
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

I have been really impresed with Bogota and Colombia in general. Overall Bogota is a very underated city overall with alot of culture, plus very friendly people. Cartagena is pretty nice as well and I prefer it over Miami or anywhere in the Carribean anyday (of course the hot women help ). Unfortunately I never had enough time to check out Cali or Medellin though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsider View Post
Buenos Aires: Awesome
I agree with you there, easily beats Paris as far as amenities plus the people are way friendlier (of course I am biased). You should also definately check out Mendoza when you get a chance.

South America Rules!!!

Last edited by diablo234; August 15th, 2010 at 03:15 AM.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2010, 04:57 AM   #25
Hia-leah JDM

Likes (Received): 3571

I was in Toronto last week and was very impressed by the city. The urban core is incredibly underrated and I was impressed how clean and efficient it is mantained. The people are both extremes, either too nice or the biggest assholes on the planet. I had no idea what to expect in this first trip to Toronto so now that I know how awesome it is, I certianly plan to be back real soon.
Hia-leah JDM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #26
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Could you give us some examples?
One for the nice and one for the asshole? I'm stirrin'
Old August 16th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #27
Hia-leah JDM

More than once people affered to drive us to an address or business we were looking for. There was a man in Dundas Square that insisted to walk us to a restaurtant he helped us figure out. Completely unecessary but he just wanted to converse for a while, almost to make sure our trip to Toronto was going alright.

Then there's the fucktard that took my parking spot in some suburban shopping mall in the most ridiculous manner, it's impossible to explain through the internet or the asshole that literally drove my friend out of parking garage with beeps and insults for apparently driving too slow in the garage. I also dealt with one little son of a bitch in the Hooters downtown.

I'm seriously not too picky with this type of stuff, I'm an easy going person and usually don't take note of this stuff but on this particular trip we were just constantly running into polar opposites. I wouldn't say Toronto leans on any particular side, it's like every other big city.
Old August 16th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #28
Northsider

Quote:
I agree with you there, easily beats Paris as far as amenities plus the people are way friendlier (of course I am biased). You should also definately check out Mendoza when you get a chance.

South America Rules!!!
Architecturally, I found BA WAY superior to Paris as well. It had an awesome mix of Spanish and Italian styles. I've heard Mendoza is beautiful. Wine-country, yea?
Old August 16th, 2010, 11:54 PM   #29
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Yup, I actually have relatives that live around that area near San Juan. Pretty nice area overall sort of like New Mexico or Southern Colorado climate wise.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #30
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 107

Mexico:

Oaxaca: No other reason to go to Mexico other than to see the vast amount of astounding pyramids, visit the glorious Museo Nacional de Antropologia and to visit Oaxaca. I can go on for hours of how amazing and culturally rich Oaxaca is developed to the rest of Mexico. The food alone! Wah wah Oaxaca!!

Playa Del Carmen: It's America with European onlookers.

Mexico City a/k/a DF: An incredibly urban city but very provincial and not as sophisticated than I had hoped. Even Oaxaca beats it in the last category.

Guadalajara: Home. The city with open arms. The nicest and most comfortable with itself cities that I visited in Mexico. Nowhere near as urbanized as DF but who said that skyscrapers and density are what always makes a city grand? It's basically a pink cupcake.
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 03:31 AM   #31
bayviews

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hia-leah JDM View Post
Then there's the fucktard that took my parking spot in some suburban shopping mall in the most ridiculous manner, it's impossible to explain through the internet or the asshole that literally drove my friend out of parking garage with beeps and insults for apparently driving too slow in the garage. I also dealt with one little son of a bitch in the Hooters downtown.

I'm seriously not too picky with this type of stuff, I'm an easy going person and usually don't take note of this stuff but on this particular trip we were just constantly running into polar opposites. I wouldn't say Toronto leans on any particular side, it's like every other big city.
Pretty much what you expect in any fast-paced, crowded urban area with more people than infrastructure.

If you want to find a place laid-back where folks don't argue over stuff like parking spaces I'd recommend visting a city like Buffalo, just down the QE, where there's plenty of extra everything to go around.

Buffalo could use some extra tourists too!
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 09:33 AM   #32
Hia-leah JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayviews View Post
Pretty much what you expect in any fast-paced, crowded urban area with more people than infrastructure.

If you want to find a place laid-back where folks don't argue over stuff like parking spaces I'd recommend visting a city like Buffalo, just down the QE, where there's plenty of extra everything to go around.

Buffalo could use some extra tourists too!
Yeah, it's what I was trying to say at the end there. I live with it down here in Miami too.

I actually did stop by Buffalo but stayed with some friends. Didn't do much touristy stuff, what's there to do?! I went downtown just because I'm an urban buff and took some pictures. Other than that we just hit up Chippewa Street at night.
Old August 19th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #33
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 11729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hia-leah JDM View Post
Yeah, it's what I was trying to say at the end there. I live with it down here in Miami too.

I actually did stop by Buffalo but stayed with some friends. Didn't do much touristy stuff, what's there to do?! I went downtown just because I'm an urban buff and took some pictures. Other than that we just hit up Chippewa Street at night.
Buffalo is great for cultural tourists who like art and architecture. Elmwood is a great place to stroll and check out the interesting shops and restaurants. The waterfront is a work in progress but it's a very relaxing place to hang out by the lake. Allentown is great also.
Old August 21st, 2010, 12:02 AM   #34
Битола

Likes (Received): 2

Quebec City is the most European city in North America outside Mexico. It's much cleaner than Montreal and is a better size. The people are nicer than Montreal. It has the only remaining fortified city walls in North America outside Mexico. The Chateau Frontenac is one of the most magnificent buildings I've ever seen.

Ottawa is also fantastic. The Parliament Building is awesome. Chateau Laurier, the Rideau Canal (UNESCO World Heritage Site), Supreme Court Building, lots of great architecture, etc.

Last edited by Битола; August 21st, 2010 at 02:27 AM.
Битола no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 11:08 PM   #35
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 126

^ I agree QC is cleaner, but I think MTL is a much better size. QC is a bit small.

I'm also surprised that Ottawa was enjoyable. I thought about going last summer but figured it would be too boring and not much to see.
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 07:31 AM   #36
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 119

I live in Vancouver and it is a pretty city with an incredible setting. That said its not a friendly city and is very provincial. If you are an outdoorsy kind of person you will love it but if you are a hard core urbanite you will find it's arch ugly, little arts scene, conservative, and more than a little boring.
One NA city that few have been to that is fantastic is St.John's Newfoundland. Beautiful setting, the people are extremely friendly, laid back, and cool with no pretence. How much you make and how big is your house are irrelevant there unlike Vancouver where that's everything. Tons of history with Water Street being the oldest street in the America's, beautiful building, and a cool vibe. The houses are all painted different colours so the place looks bright and inviting. It's nick name is "The City of Legends" and if you go there you will know why. Vancouver nickname is "The city of glass and steal"...........enough said.
There truly is no other city on the planet like it, it's a true one oof a kind
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #37
Northsider

Just got back from my 3rd tour of NYC. Certainly a wold class city, but completely overhyped in my opinion:

The bad:

1. The subway. Subway is completely confusing. I've had no problems in Paris, London, Berlin...NYC subway for some reason was completely confusing. Poor signage. If you get on the wrong side, it's difficult or impossible to cross to the other side of the tracks (for side platforms). The naming scheme is stupid, sorry NYers. My wife, who is transit clueless also had no problems in Paris and London, even took it herself often, had lots of difficulty with NY subway.

2. The people. Good lord. Learn how to walk! The sidewalks are one giant clusterfuck. People stand in the way and/or walk slowly. I expected everyone to keep pace with me since I'm a brisk walker. Not so. I was more frustrated with pedestrians in NYC than anywhere else.

3. The people, part II. Yes, no question...NYC is full of douchbags. The few people who were actual fun to talk to and generally nice were tourists. Go figure.

4. The trash. The city smells like garbage. Literally. Most likely because people put their trash on the sidewalks.

5. Cost. Everything is ridiculously expensive, for what reason? At least I got some relief when I went to Queens and found some decently priced restaurants.

The good:

6. The subway. Yes, I also had this on the bad...but it's seriously extensive and much faster than driving/taxi.

7. Diversity. I gotta give it up for NYC on diversity. While I still prefer London over NYC, even Toronto I feel has better diversity, NYC is where it's at if you want to find anything!

8. The food. While I almost put this in bad, I feel it should be in good. I had some seriously mediocre meals in Manhattan (and EXPENSIVE!). It wasn't until I ventured into Brooklyn and Queens did I find some good eats.

9. Central Park. Hands down THE best urban park in the world. HANDS DOWN. I loved it there! It's what a park SHOULD be: Trees, water, rocks, paths. It felt like I was in a forest preserve, not just some giant open field of grass with some trees here and there. Awesome.

Ambivalent:

10. Street vendors. They were cool at first, then got annoying. They are probably the reason for #2 and the issues with walking anywhere. I found some cheap gifts but over all I found the street vendors annoying.

11. Cityscape. Don't get me wrong, I love the cityscape of NYC, but with all the hype it definitely under-delivered for me. Brooklyn and Queens reminded me heavily of Chicago...that's not a bad thing, I was just expecting something to blow me away. Speaking of blowing me away, once I got over the "holy shit" moment of Manhattan, I found it to be less than satisfying. I expected much better architecture, but the real gems I thought were too few and far between.

F-ing AWESOME

12. Bridges. Holy crap. They are awesome. 'nuff said.

These are just my opinions on NYC based on all of my travels.
Old November 25th, 2010, 09:55 PM   #38
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 106

get ready for the onslaught coming your way. how dare you express your opinion on here and speaking badly of the all mighty NYC
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 04:33 AM   #39
Northsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
get ready for the onslaught coming your way. how dare you express your opinion on here and speaking badly of the all mighty NYC
It is what it is. Nobody has to agree with me. :-D
Old November 27th, 2010, 03:14 AM   #40
Resident

Likes (Received): 1

Recently (I'm going with the last 3 months):

Louisville; I've always liked Louisville, not a super impressive skyline but definately a handful of great neighborhoods, red brick, and the river of course. Also ear-ecstacy is one of the best records stores I've EVER been to, and I'm a huge record collector.

Chicago; One of my favorite cities in any continent. Mass transit, great diversity, density, I have many friends that live there and luckily they all live in different neighborhoods so I get to see all of their favorites places. And the lake of course.

Detroit; Very misunderstood/under-rated. I think Detroit gets too much of a bad rep. Sure it has it's problems but what city doesn't, right? I love midtown, downtown, I have a friend that lives there and he is (I think) a popular Dj around town, so hanging out with him was alot of fun, got to see some stuff most people wouldn't.

Denver; I lived there for about 5 yrs. so I know all the nooks and cranies, but I do love it there, the natives are kind of absurd when it comes to outsiders, and that still confuses me. Pretty decent restaurant scene, decent transit, I hate how far out the airport is. I love city park, great neighborhoods, and that city has so many breakfast burrito spots it makes me dizzy.