daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » completed | under construction | proposed | demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Who Should Host The 2023 Rugby World Cup?
Italy 22 14.77%
Spain 6 4.03%
Germany 12 8.05%
South Africa 32 21.48%
Australia 16 10.74%
Celtic Bid 8 5.37%
Another Country 53 35.57%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:29 AM   #241
Harry1990

Likes (Received): 36

yes but NZ and Australia have a huge rugby following, its a proffesional sport etc so it less of a risk isnt it. Rugby is the Sport of New Zealand and its a big sport in Australia admittly behind cricket , aussie rules and league but still big

i would no exactly how popular the Canadian National rugby team is but im assuming that it falls miles behind ice hockey, football, baseball

Sponsored Links

Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:30 AM   #242
Harry1990

sorry for my terrible spelling im sure you get the picture what im trying to say though
Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:35 AM   #243
Lord David

Likes (Received): 74

I'm sure there's plenty of Canadians here that would say it's hugely popular, in Eastern Canada mostly.

It's gonna be a bid about growing the sport, bringing it to new places and the lasting legacy of a domestic Canadian league, using a mix of new venues built for the RWC, as well as some existing rugby venues in major cities which will be offering their CFL stadiums for the RWC.

The league will be small, with many stadiums barely making the 20,000 mark, but could span all Provinces and be reasonably popular enough to be a lasting legacy of the RWC.
Lord David no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:47 AM   #244
Harry1990

im sure Canada would be a great host country i just think in the eyes of the IRB who ultimately make the decision they will see 2023 as maybe to early. maybe 2031 would be more likely to be succesful.

you just have to hope that the IRB stays corruption free unlike FIFA and desicions are made on merit alone.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:39 AM   #245
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 512

Apparently the IRB has asked USA Rugby to consider bidding for the 2023 World Cup. Canada is also mentioned as a potential joint bid partner.

http://www.universalsports.com/news-...id=569413.html
http://www.universalsports.com/news-...id=500280.html

After a scan through google earth I could only find a handful of Stadia in the USA that can fit a full sized Rugby Union pitch (122m/68m). They were the LA Coliseum, Legion Field, Dolphins Stadium, Rutgers Stadium, Rentschler Field, Memorial Stadium (Uni of Kansas) and Memorial Stadium (Uni of Illinois). I doubt that Rugby would hold that much appeal to some of these markets, specifically the South. Numerous other Stadiums either weren't long enough or wide enough.

If the IRB relaxed dimensions to a uniform 116m/65m then that opens up the options to many more venues such as the Rose Bowl, Gillette Stadium, Cleveland Stadium, Heinz Field, Quest Field, Coors Field and numerous MLS stadia which have already been used for USA Rugby iunternationals and Rugby 7's.

No doubt there's some Athletics Stadiums in the USA which I'm not aware of that are of appropriate quality and capacity to also be suitable venues for a Rugby World Cup.

All CFL Stadiums but Hamilton's Ivor Wynne Stadium can fit the full sized Rugby pitch.

Last edited by Walbanger; March 22nd, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
Walbanger está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:43 AM   #246
Lord David

Likes (Received): 74

Good, because Hamilton won't be hosting any games. :P
Lord David no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 06:36 AM   #247
TEBC

Likes (Received): 4007

Great News!!

Exclusive: Argentina formulating Rugby World Cup bid

HomeNewsExclusive: Argentina formulating Rugby World Cup bid
Submitted by Matt Cutler on Thu, 07/06/2012 - 07:56
Tagged in Events, Argentina, Events & Rugby
ShareThisLinkedInEmailTweetFacebook

Argentina will bid for either the 2023 or 2027 Rugby World Cup, SportBusiness International can exclusively reveal.

Agustín Pichot, director for the Argentine Rugby Union (UAR) and the country’s representative on the International Rugby Board (IRB), said he and his five-man UAR board are exploring the potential of bidding for one of the two editions.

“We are looking at planning to bid for either the 2023 or 2027 Rugby World Cup and I have started talking to the Argentinean government about this,” said Pichot, the man who captained the Argentinean national side for the best part of the decade, in an interview that will be published in full in the next issue of SportBusiness International on July 1. “I am also part of the Argentinean Olympic Committee and we have recently started our bid for the 2018 Youth Olympic Games. This is what we need to be doing to build for the future. Even if we lose, we need to learn and grow.”

The UAR will take optimism from the IRB’s recent strategy of awarding two hosts at the same time, ensuring that at least one edition is in a traditionally strong rugby market, as seen with the 2015 and 2019 events being awarded to England and Japan respectively.

Argentina has beaten every major team in international rugby except South Africa and New Zealand and finished third at the 2007 World Cup. Awarding the event to the country would mean that the World Cup will have been held on every continent, except Antarctica and North America, within 40 years of the competition’s inception. It took FIFA, world football’s governing body, 64 years for a nation outside Europe or Latin America to host its World Cup.

Pichot also said one of his current objectives is to strengthen the international appeal of Argentinean club rugby, revealing he is currently working on a proposal to create a Buenos Aires-based franchise to join the Super 15, the league that consists of the best club sides from SANZAR (the rugby unions for South Africa, New Zealand and Australia).

http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/18...-world-cup-bid
Old June 21st, 2012, 07:17 AM   #248
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
Apparently the IRB has asked USA Rugby to consider bidding for the 2023 World Cup. Canada is also mentioned as a potential joint bid partner.

http://www.universalsports.com/news-...id=569413.html
http://www.universalsports.com/news-...id=500280.html

After a scan through google earth I could only find a handful of Stadia in the USA that can fit a full sized Rugby Union pitch (122m/68m). They were the LA Coliseum, Legion Field, Dolphins Stadium, Rutgers Stadium, Rentschler Field, Memorial Stadium (Uni of Kansas) and Memorial Stadium (Uni of Illinois). I doubt that Rugby would hold that much appeal to some of these markets, specifically the South. Numerous other Stadiums either weren't long enough or wide enough.

If the IRB relaxed dimensions to a uniform 116m/65m then that opens up the options to many more venues such as the Rose Bowl, Gillette Stadium, Cleveland Stadium, Heinz Field, Quest Field, Coors Field and numerous MLS stadia which have already been used for USA Rugby iunternationals and Rugby 7's.

No doubt there's some Athletics Stadiums in the USA which I'm not aware of that are of appropriate quality and capacity to also be suitable venues for a Rugby World Cup.

All CFL Stadiums but Hamilton's Ivor Wynne Stadium can fit the full sized Rugby pitch.
If the IRB asked them to bid I'd expect they would relax the regulations a bit, certainly enough to let a stadium with a field like BoA Stadium in Charlotte (121m long, 80ish wide) host. That'd open up a ton of them, most NFL stadiums built after 1995, plus the Cotton Bowl, Rose Bowl, ect.

You'd be surprised at the popularity rugby has in certain southern cities though. It's not jumping off the charts or anything, but there are clubs who have been around for a long time and even have (tiny) grounds of their own.
Bobby3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 07:22 AM   #249
TEBC

South Africa 2023 and Argentina 2027
Old June 21st, 2012, 10:00 AM   #250
Lydon

Likes (Received): 2174

I think it's time it returns to South Africa It'll be a very different affair to last time with the new stadiums we'd be using.
Old June 21st, 2012, 02:56 PM   #251
TEBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydon
I think it's time it returns to South Africa It'll be a very different affair to last time with the new stadiums we'd be using.
Are u planning a bid?
Old June 21st, 2012, 05:42 PM   #252
vitaming
with a capital G

Likes (Received): 12

It certainly has to go to South America in 2023. Typically I don't like tournaments spread across multiple countries but Chile/Uruguay and even Brazil could help make it a big step forward for the sport.
vitaming no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 06:15 PM   #253
TEBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaming
It certainly has to go to South America in 2023. Typically I don't like tournaments spread across multiple countries but Chile/Uruguay and even Brazil could help make it a big step forward for the sport.
I think 2027 is better cause 2019 will be alteady in a country with no tradition, and 2027 will be close to 2030 WC so it can help each other
Old June 22nd, 2012, 08:47 AM   #254
Lydon

Likes (Received): 2174

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBC View Post
Are u planning a bid?
I have no idea!
Old June 22nd, 2012, 11:49 AM   #255
anref2001

Likes (Received): 16

ok Here is my World Championship in Argentina

Mar del Plata 40k Renewed
La Plata 54k
monumental 70k Renewed
Santa fe 47k
Parana 38k (Its construction starts in the near future)
Rosario 42k Renewed
Cordoba 57k
Mendoza 40k
San juan 35k Renewed
Catamarca 25k Renewed
San luis 25k Renewed
Santiago del Estero 30k (Its construction starts in the near future)
Tucuman 40k (If they build a new stadium)
Jujuy 25k Renewed
Salta 25k Renewed
Resistencia 25k.

I hope Argentina also hosts the World Championship.
Argentina can and must.
anref2001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 02:17 PM   #256
Harry1990

Would like to see italy 2023 after japan than argentina 2027 than south africa 2031
Old June 22nd, 2012, 03:14 PM   #257
SharksBoy
Good Luck South Africa!

Likes (Received): 0

I dont think Rugby world cup will return to Europe in 2023. possibly 2031 as South American, South Africa, north American need it.
SharksBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 05:50 PM   #258
Harry1990

I only meant it as a way to reward italy, could really spark a greater interest in rugby and italy would have been in the 6 nations. By 2027 argentina would have been in the quad nation 15 years too . What north american country do you think should host ?
Old June 22nd, 2012, 05:51 PM   #259
Harry1990

Mean italy would have been in the 6 nations 23 years by then
Old June 22nd, 2012, 10:52 PM   #260
ChesterCopperpot

Likes (Received): 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
The new Ivor Wynne Stadium will most certainly be able to fit a full size rugby pitch
ChesterCopperpot no está en línea   Reply With Quote