daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 8th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #41
TohrAlkimista

Likes (Received): 918

Driving along the A7 Milan - Genoa motorway, I experienced something like taking 2 hours for 2 km road.

A huge accident involving a track transporting wood and another truck carrying pieces of pottery, more or less at Serravalle.

One truck had a downfall of blocks of ceramics, that hit the other truck on the lateral side, since the other driver noticed something wrong with the truck in front of him and tried to move on the right along the emergency lane.

A wonderful show, with the motorway becoming suddenly red and pieces of wood everywhere.

Then the A7 was completely blocked.
People turned their cars off and started to go around, some of them even crossed the guardrail to go to the nearest Autogrill.
People sunbathing, playing football...
TohrAlkimista no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #42
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Last year on C-14 road we went into slow traffic all the way from Reus to Montblanc (Junction with N-240). We took about a hour to go 20 km, despite that between Reus and Alcover it's an expressway.
No, I've been on a worst traffic jam. Back in 2007, on then A-23 near Saragossa (Now A-23 has been realigned and part of the section I went jammed has been renumbered back to N-330) we took about a hour to go 3 kilometers. The reason is that they were repaving and went from 2 lanes to only one.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #43
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20280

I've been stuck in a couple of terrible jams in France, once 20 years ago on the way from Orleans to Reims just south of Paris, can't remember which road, it wasn't a motorway, 4 hours moving at an average of 5km/h

Another time I got trapped in traffic on the ile d'oleron for about 3 hours.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 02:40 PM   #44
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2104

Worst jam I've ever been in was this winter, coming back to Italy from holidays in Munich... It was January 2nd, and the traffic jam was basically uninterrupted between A8-A93 junction in Germany near Rosenheim and Trento, in Italy. More or less 300km in queue. Instead of the usual 5 hours form Munich to Bologna it took more than 11 hours...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #45
bogdymol
bogdymod

Yesterday evening was a traffic jam on Kecskemet bypass due to the International Air and Military Show in Hungary. But at least the police made all it's best to keep the traffic flowing.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 05:41 AM   #46
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

One of my worst traffic jams was also on 11th August 1999, on the day of the total solar eclipse. It was visible in a tiny corner of NE Slovenia, which means tens of thousands of Slovenes went there that day (me included). It was basically a jam for the last 80 km. We needed some 6 hours to get there.

Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 10:38 AM   #47
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

So you've missed it?

I was present at the 1999 solar eclipse too, in Landsberg am Lech, Germany.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:20 AM   #48
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20280

Me too, in the suburbs to the east of Paris!
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:20 AM   #49
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

I went to Munich to watch the eclipse, after an epic train trip Ancona-Bologna-Brenner-Munich...
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:26 AM   #50
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I remember it vividly, we were driving through the rain all the time, it was pouring down, and it was cloudless for just the time around the eclipse, talk about luck.
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:31 AM   #51
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

That's my recall also of the eclipse: cloudless for just the time of the event How far is Landsberg from Munich anyway?
I also remember trying to take pictures of the eclipse (I took a full equipment), but unfortunately the film malfunctioned and it was not loaded by the camera....
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:36 AM   #52
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Landsberg is some 50 kilometers west of München. We were at vacation near Imst, Austria at the time and decided to drive north to experience the eclipse. It was one of the coolest things I have ever seen.
Old August 11th, 2010, 01:58 AM   #53
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
So you've missed it?
No no, we departed early enough; we didn't wanna miss such an occurence. Oh, it's exactly 11 years since the eclipse.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #54
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Yep, and I saw a partial eclipse then. I saw two more (consecutive!) eclipses, one of them had the ring zone going through Spain (In 2005)
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 09:09 AM   #55
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

The worst traffic jam I have ever been was in 2007 on SRB-H border when I was getting back from the holiday. The arrival to congestion was at 00:30 AM in night near Subotica and I left the border crossing at about 9:00 AM. It was definitely annoying since I have to be awake. If I had fallen asleep, every driver would have overtaken me. I also didn't know how to decide, whether should I have let my engine running or should I have started it before moving and then turned it off.

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #56
vitacit

Likes (Received): 96

i went from eastern slovakia with my friends from astronomy club down to szeged, hungary to see eclipse. what the great experience it was !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
One of my worst traffic jams was also on 11th August 1999, on the day of the total solar eclipse. It was visible in a tiny corner of NE Slovenia, which means tens of thousands of Slovenes went there that day (me included). It was basically a jam for the last 80 km. We needed some 6 hours to get there.

vitacit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 11:47 AM   #57
Aphelion

Likes (Received): 20

In the summer of 2005 I was in a traffic jam on the A1 at Hamburg due to roadworks. The delay was 4 hours and outside temperatures were 30 degrees Celsius or more.
Aphelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 09:15 AM   #58
JB1981

Likes (Received): 22

My worst idea ever must have been to visit London (hotel just a couple of blocks from Oxford Street) by car. Took more than two hours to get from the M25/M20 interchange to the hotel. Should have parked at a train station somewhere on the outskirts of town instead.

Second place for Paris at evening rush hour. This time I decided to be adventurous and drove from Pte de Italie to Pte de la Chapelle right through the center of town instead of taking the overcrowded Boulevard Périphérique. Still took quite some time but at least I had some sightseeing to do. Probably should have taken the A86 or A/N104 instead.

Third place is for Hamburg, trying to take the Elbe tunnel at afternoon peak hour on the first day of some spring holiday for most of northern Germany. Not much of an alternative here.

Fourth place is shared by Brussels (trying to deliver a package at morning rush hour) and Prague (arriving on friday afternoon for a weekend).
JB1981 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #59
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

When I drove a taxi in Stockholm in the 90's and there was an event taking place. I had a 3km drive from Östermalm to Gamla Stan and it took an hour. We had a maximum fare during that time, so the customer didn't have to worry, because the meter stopped. I lost money though.
image hosted on flickr

The worst jam I experienced this year, was on the E4 northbound at Jönköping. It was a total stop and people walked out of their cars on the motorway. The reason was asphalting going on.

geometarkv liked this post
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2013, 01:21 AM   #60
Peines
Peter

Likes (Received): 99

Me also experienced the worst jam this year (may 2013), in Albacete, on the A-31 Motorway going from Alicante to Madrid.

I remember that it started at the exit 91 and I leave the road at the exit 41 because i got mad.

The first 10kms were completed in 1h and 15' and the other 40 in a 1h. 2h 15' of jam. I was fun because we made the lunch, a karaoke and algo get tanned inside the car.
Peines no está en línea   Reply With Quote