daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2016, 03:15 PM   #81
ParadiseRacer32

Likes (Received): 2

The worst traffic jam that I have been is on the M1 Monash Freeway into Melbourne... traffic came to a stop after the Eastlink interchange and we were crawling for about 1-2 hours to Toorak Road (usually a 10 minute drive).

We finally reached Toorak road and I found out the cause of the traffic... a cabbage truck had caught on fire
ParadiseRacer32 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2016, 04:16 PM   #82
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

Paris,France. All of it including the ring roads.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2016, 02:52 AM   #83
typo86

Likes (Received): 36

Trying to get through downtown New Orleans on the Pontchartrain Expressway when the Superbowl parade was beginning.
typo86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2016, 02:02 AM   #84
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukraroad View Post
My worst traffic jam was on the border at Krakovets. Dunno whether it can be a only a queue or a traffic jam, too. Well, I stayed there for 20 hours waiting to be checked by the border guard.
And I thought it was bad when I had to wait 3.5 hours to get from Croatia into Serbia.

Autobahn-mann liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2016, 02:31 PM   #85
gaz2424
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Before you make a decision to travel somewhere you should check out for traffic jams and alternative roads and directions. You can avoid traffic clog if you have sufficient amount of information.

I don't too far. The roads I use are well known to me and I know all exits and alternative ways to avoid unnecessary stops. Worst traffic jams often occur in tunnels and when someone crashes. Above all you can run into a jam when a foreign chief of state pays a visit to you r country. Then all the main directions in the capitol are closed around the state buildings.
gaz2424 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2016, 03:59 PM   #86
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Luckily, I have never faced a traffic jam lasting several hours, but Oslo is fairly interesting at the moment, due to tunnel works on major highways. Still, I think my worst two both are from the UK: the first on the A1 going to Newcastle airport (almost an hour, fearing I'd miss my flight...), the other on the M5 south of Bristol. The latter lasted for more than an hour, about half at walking pace... before it simply disappeared for no apparent reason.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2016, 06:41 PM   #87
rpc08

Likes (Received): 1004

In 2003 I think, my family chose to spend our traditional summer trip in the northwest of France but, for reasons I can't recall now, we had to postpone the trip for a couple of days and so we ended up leaving Portugal in the third weekend of August. The two last weekends of August mark, traditionally, the return of thousands of Portuguese emigrants to the countries where they live (mostly France, Luxembourg and Switzerland) after spending a month of vacation in home soil.

So, we were already expecting a not-so-enjoyable trip as in other years, but we forgot that the Portuguese emmigrants weren't the only ones returning. The first hundreds of km entering Spain were easy, traffic was higher than usual, yet always fluid. But then, at around 4 p.m., when we're approaching Burgos (where A-62 coming from Portugal meets A-1 coming from Madrid)... big queue, more than 10 km. We eventually enter A-1 but the queue continues to the first AP-1 toll some km later. After more than 2 hours we're finally rolling again but we're tired and decided to stop in the first rest area after Burgos - but despite being the biggest one in the whole AP-1, it was completely crowded with cars and vans completely packed. Many of them had stuff like bags, tables, chairs, paintings and even small couches on top of them, only attached by ropes. Yes, we had obviously forgotten the big mass of Moroccan and Algerian immigrants who were doing exactly the same as the Portuguese, the difference being the first ones taking their houses with them. We had to face another queue leaving AP-1 near Vitoria, and then a huge one crossing San Sebastián and Irun on the way to France. We opted to sleep near the border at midnight, still on the Spanish side. The following day was even worse: we only found small traffic jams on the A63 tolls in the Basque country, but cross the Bordeaux area and head north on the A10 was a nightmare. At some point of the afternoon there was more than a hundred km of "bouchon" (as they say in France) between Bordeaux and Poitiers on the A10. We had planned to make our first trip stop in Nantes, so eventually, after some hours, we were able to left the autoroute in Saintes and head northwest through some local roads.

At the time some stretches of motorway in the Landes and the Basque Country were yet to be built, but (discounting the time we took to sleep in the night) we needed about 20 hours to make the 800 km that separate Burgos and Nantes. That was almost the normal duration of an entire trip between Portugal and the Luxembourg. Guaranteed, we've traveled to France by car many times more after that summer, but we never repeated that mistake again.
Old August 28th, 2016, 09:07 PM   #88
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6769

Well... if it's likely there will be traffic jams somewhere, it's always worth to check the traffic reports, and avoid the motorways in the places with traffic jams... Local roads might turn out much faster.

gaz2424 liked this post
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2016, 09:44 PM   #89
gaz2424
BANNED

Quote:
Local roads might turn out much faster.
That's the point. when people travel somewhere they often use main roads especially in these days. No one wants to experiment with alternative roads and everybody wants to get somewhere faster... But usually they overload the main roads so the local ones become better for passing trough. But still there is one thing... Local roads suffer from bad maintenance and often you can damage your car if you drive to fast without caution.

Kpc21 liked this post
Old August 28th, 2016, 09:56 PM   #90
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

more than once I have escaped traffic jams by using local roads
And then re-entered the motorway and end up seeing the same cars I was following when I left

I guess it is a free-market economics system at work, balancing exactly
Old August 28th, 2016, 10:03 PM   #91
gaz2424
BANNED

Local roads are usually free of charge. No pay toll. But from my experience they can be really bad. No proper signalization, bumps, tractors and other agricultural machines, animals, narrow asphalt base,...
Old August 29th, 2016, 10:18 AM   #92
Autobahn-mann

Likes (Received): 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz2424 View Post
That's the point. when people travel somewhere they often use main roads especially in these days. No one wants to experiment with alternative roads and everybody wants to get somewhere faster... But usually they overload the main roads so the local ones become better for passing trough. But still there is one thing... Local roads suffer from bad maintenance and often you can damage your car if you drive to fast without caution.
That reminds to me Braess's Paradox

Been in: A, BiH, CH, CZ, D, E, ET, F, GR, H, HR, I, RSM, SLO, UK, V, VEC
Drove in : I, HR, SLO, VEC

Kpc21 liked this post
Autobahn-mann no está en línea   Reply With Quote