daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Old March 13th, 2012, 02:22 AM   #301
FastFerrari
I double dog dare you!!!

Likes (Received): 24

Thanks for the shots. We were soooo off topic this last week or so. Back on track now!!

Sponsored Links

Old March 13th, 2012, 05:11 AM   #302
JJG

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
Thanks for the shots. We were soooo off topic this last week or so. Back on track now!!
.... lots of things happened last week.

But as for the stadium itself, it's good to see the progress on the east side.

It looks like the third tier will see the benches soon enough. Probably in the next month. It's really startin' to roll along.
JJG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 06:04 AM   #303
WesTexas

Likes (Received): 38

that east side is coming along quickly
WesTexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 06:39 AM   #304
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesTexas View Post
that east side is coming along quickly
Yeah, it better since it's about half the size of the west side. Although I do like the design, I think it would have been better if it matched the west, but hey, as long as there's a stadium there in September, no real complaints here.

Oh and I didn't capture any pics of it, but there looks like some construction in the M&M Athletic Complex. Had no idea what was going on...

Last edited by JJG; March 13th, 2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old March 13th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #305
Benn

Likes (Received): 56

I dunno about trying to match the west side, I kind of like the asymmetry here, seems well handled. All of the sides above the lower level are different yet it manages nice continuity. Not to mention they don't need all the extra club seats and suites; and a matching stand would entail to help pay for itself. Probably the fanciest stadium in the Big 12 (I know UT and OK State people will have something to say), who would have thought any part of that statement would be possible 5 years ago?
Benn está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #306
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn View Post
I dunno about trying to match the west side, I kind of like the asymmetry here, seems well handled. All of the sides above the lower level are different yet it manages nice continuity. Not to mention they don't need all the extra club seats and suites; and a matching stand would entail to help pay for itself. Probably the fanciest stadium in the Big 12 (I know UT and OK State people will have something to say), who would have thought any part of that statement would be possible 5 years ago?
5 years ago, TCU was just trying to be the best team in the MWC, but I know there were calls to do something with the stadium even before then.

The Carter is projected to expand to 50,000 some day. How they plan to do that (other than filling in those corners), I don't know. One suggestion was to put a box tower on top of the east side stands. It's still in the air.

And The Carter still wont be able to touch DKR and Boone is arguable, but it'll still be better than the rest of the Big X(II)...... depending on what Baylor decides to do.
Old March 30th, 2012, 02:18 AM   #307
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 86

Minor update:

http://gofrogs.cstv.com/genrel/032812aaa.html

Quote:
ON THE CONSTRUCTION FRONT

In case you haven’t noticed, the first set of bleachers is being installed in the upper deck on the west side of Amon G. Carter Stadium. The east side steel and seating pre-cast pieces continue to arrive and install. All super structure will be completed by the end of April. The football locker room work is in the sheet rock stages. Mid-April becomes an important date for the sports medicine center as the new HydroWorx treadmill whirlpools and the cold and hot plunge arrive. It will allow those spaces to quickly catch up with interior walls and floor finishes.
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #308
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
The Carter is projected to expand to 50,000 some day. How they plan to do that (other than filling in those corners), I don't know. One suggestion was to put a box tower on top of the east side stands. It's still in the air.
Based on this image...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
I'd say 60k is definitely a possibility. You can add a third tier to the east stand that would come very close (if not exactly) to that on the opposite side, while adding further seating to the north end appears easily doable. If the image above is supposed to be about 45k, then I imagine a third tier to the east and north ends could add between 8-12k total depending on the form.

Quote:
And The Carter still wont be able to touch DKR and Boone is arguable, but it'll still be better than the rest of the Big X(II)...... depending on what Baylor decides to do.
Reserving size as indifferent to the actual quality, it appears AGC is on par with both. By all accounts Mr. Pickens quality additions to the stadium in Stillwater can still be viewed as just a facade over conventional framework, and that in areas it's not as if the total experience is "Ooohs and aaahs." Very nice, but not a cathedral.

I would expect the experience at Norman to be on par with DKR, as well. Maybe not the comprehensive architectural event, but they've plenty of premium areas and it's not a stripped down venue by any means. Not that TTU's venue is all that barren, either.
Old March 30th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #309
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 344

Norman' s stadium is very nice. The west side concourse is a little more old school, it has a lower ceiling, but it has a nice feeling of history. Whereas the east side is very tall and open. All of these stadiums are going to have nice premium areas though, I tend to judge stadiums by their architecture, layout, campus surroundings, atmosphere, and overall experience.
slipperydog está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #310
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
Based on this image...
I'd say 60k is definitely a possibility. You can add a third tier to the east stand that would come very close (if not exactly) to that on the opposite side, while adding further seating to the north end appears easily doable. If the image above is supposed to be about 45k, then I imagine a third tier to the east and north ends could add between 8-12k total depending on the form.
That's what I thought at first. But how to get that third tier is a bit off to me...

I'm sure it can be done, but that facade makes the possibility of a third look off. I've been looking at it since the rendering was out and I don't know.
Old March 30th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #311
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
All of these stadiums are going to have nice premium areas though, I tend to judge stadiums by their architecture, layout, campus surroundings, atmosphere, and overall experience.
Same for me. Context matters, and I could care less about niceties and electronics if the viewshed sucks and I can't navigate the concourse easily. Lot of people now think too highly of the material (brick, stone, ...) rather then the gracefulness of the form, and heaven knows I could care less about a lounge area when I'm hoping to spend 99% of the time in the stands. Alas, I'm old school to the modern venue owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I'm sure it can be done, but that facade makes the possibility of a third look off. I've been looking at it since the rendering was out and I don't know.
It looks to me like the structure of facade can easily be removed and a new facade added further out. That's probably left for future consideration based upon the demand for general seating vs premium, letting that dictate the final design. But either way you won't be damaging the critical structural components for the second tier.

However, I'm surprised we haven't seen anything like a true build out design image for the stadium, because with the level of thought that's gone into this design you know they'll be picky about future expansions. You'd like to think they'd want to do that with the current architects, as well, getting it done right at this point then coming back and missing the mark. Hmmm.

Either way, she's a beauty for now. Enjoy it!
Old March 31st, 2012, 07:00 AM   #312
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post

It looks to me like the structure of facade can easily be removed and a new facade added further out. That's probably left for future consideration based upon the demand for general seating vs premium, letting that dictate the final design. But either way you won't be damaging the critical structural components for the second tier.

However, I'm surprised we haven't seen anything like a true build out design image for the stadium, because with the level of thought that's gone into this design you know they'll be picky about future expansions. You'd like to think they'd want to do that with the current architects, as well, getting it done right at this point then coming back and missing the mark. Hmmm.

Either way, she's a beauty for now. Enjoy it!
Yeah she is. The closest to what you're talking about is the 3D seat viewer...

But ya gotta remember, no matter how good TCU football does, they're in the DFW area. That means, the Frogs are in constant competition for attention with:

- Cowboys (they're ENOUGH... even on a shit season like the one two years ago, the other teams play 3rd fiddle to the 'Boys.)
- Mavs
- Rangers
- Stars
- SMU
- North Texas
- fans/alumni from the other 8 schools in the state + the 2 major Okie schools.

So I don't think TCU will have to worry about 60k for a while. That's probably why you don't see much of a form for future expansion right now.
Old April 6th, 2012, 04:47 AM   #313
JJG

New Seating Chart
Old April 6th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #314
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 92

TCU is also fighting the size of the school. I would pretty much put that above anything. Even the Cowboys.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 07:43 AM   #315
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
TCU is also fighting the size of the school. I would pretty much put that above anything. Even the Cowboys.
Well, TCU is growing at least....

Even if it means ignoring the "Christian" aspect of the school (and let's face it, they have), more and more high school grads are comin' in.
Old April 8th, 2012, 07:37 AM   #316
rantanamo

still just around 10,000 students. If they ever average that 45,000, that is simply fantastic
Old April 14th, 2012, 01:29 AM   #317
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 86

it's coming along!

KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 04:34 AM   #318
rantanamo

Looks great. Now can they lose the ridiculously high tv angle at TCU home games?
Old April 14th, 2012, 05:56 AM   #319
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
Looks great. Now can they lose the ridiculously high tv angle at TCU home games?
I think that's fixed...
Old April 14th, 2012, 06:31 AM   #320
WesTexas

Likes (Received): 38

Now that is a stadium to be proud of. should help with recruiting.
WesTexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
fort worth