daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed



Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 13th, 2012, 02:22 AM   #301
FastFerrari
I double dog dare you!!!
 
FastFerrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas - USA
Posts: 702
Likes (Received): 24

Thanks for the shots. We were soooo off topic this last week or so. Back on track now!!
__________________
If Texas was in Europe it would rank: 3rd in landsize - 10th in population - 7th in economy. Im just sayin :)
FastFerrari no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old March 13th, 2012, 05:11 AM   #302
JJG
Registered User
 
JJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 2,266
Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
Thanks for the shots. We were soooo off topic this last week or so. Back on track now!!
.... lots of things happened last week.

But as for the stadium itself, it's good to see the progress on the east side.

It looks like the third tier will see the benches soon enough. Probably in the next month. It's really startin' to roll along.
JJG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 06:04 AM   #303
WesTexas
Registered User
 
WesTexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dallas/Odessa/Amarillo
Posts: 662
Likes (Received): 38

that east side is coming along quickly
WesTexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 06:39 AM   #304
JJG
Registered User
 
JJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 2,266
Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesTexas View Post
that east side is coming along quickly
Yeah, it better since it's about half the size of the west side. Although I do like the design, I think it would have been better if it matched the west, but hey, as long as there's a stadium there in September, no real complaints here.

Oh and I didn't capture any pics of it, but there looks like some construction in the M&M Athletic Complex. Had no idea what was going on...

Last edited by JJG; March 13th, 2012 at 07:32 PM.
JJG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #305
Benn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 1,591
Likes (Received): 56

I dunno about trying to match the west side, I kind of like the asymmetry here, seems well handled. All of the sides above the lower level are different yet it manages nice continuity. Not to mention they don't need all the extra club seats and suites; and a matching stand would entail to help pay for itself. Probably the fanciest stadium in the Big 12 (I know UT and OK State people will have something to say), who would have thought any part of that statement would be possible 5 years ago?
Benn está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #306
JJG
Registered User
 
JJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 2,266
Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn View Post
I dunno about trying to match the west side, I kind of like the asymmetry here, seems well handled. All of the sides above the lower level are different yet it manages nice continuity. Not to mention they don't need all the extra club seats and suites; and a matching stand would entail to help pay for itself. Probably the fanciest stadium in the Big 12 (I know UT and OK State people will have something to say), who would have thought any part of that statement would be possible 5 years ago?
5 years ago, TCU was just trying to be the best team in the MWC, but I know there were calls to do something with the stadium even before then.

The Carter is projected to expand to 50,000 some day. How they plan to do that (other than filling in those corners), I don't know. One suggestion was to put a box tower on top of the east side stands. It's still in the air.

And The Carter still wont be able to touch DKR and Boone is arguable, but it'll still be better than the rest of the Big X(II)...... depending on what Baylor decides to do.
JJG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 02:18 AM   #307
KingmanIII
Registered User
 
KingmanIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Killa City, Misery
Posts: 2,284
Likes (Received): 86

Minor update:



http://gofrogs.cstv.com/genrel/032812aaa.html

Quote:
ON THE CONSTRUCTION FRONT

In case you haven’t noticed, the first set of bleachers is being installed in the upper deck on the west side of Amon G. Carter Stadium. The east side steel and seating pre-cast pieces continue to arrive and install. All super structure will be completed by the end of April. The football locker room work is in the sheet rock stages. Mid-April becomes an important date for the sports medicine center as the new HydroWorx treadmill whirlpools and the cold and hot plunge arrive. It will allow those spaces to quickly catch up with interior walls and floor finishes.
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #308
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicken City, GA
Posts: 3,911
Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
The Carter is projected to expand to 50,000 some day. How they plan to do that (other than filling in those corners), I don't know. One suggestion was to put a box tower on top of the east side stands. It's still in the air.
Based on this image...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
I'd say 60k is definitely a possibility. You can add a third tier to the east stand that would come very close (if not exactly) to that on the opposite side, while adding further seating to the north end appears easily doable. If the image above is supposed to be about 45k, then I imagine a third tier to the east and north ends could add between 8-12k total depending on the form.

Quote:
And The Carter still wont be able to touch DKR and Boone is arguable, but it'll still be better than the rest of the Big X(II)...... depending on what Baylor decides to do.
Reserving size as indifferent to the actual quality, it appears AGC is on par with both. By all accounts Mr. Pickens quality additions to the stadium in Stillwater can still be viewed as just a facade over conventional framework, and that in areas it's not as if the total experience is "Ooohs and aaahs." Very nice, but not a cathedral.

I would expect the experience at Norman to be on par with DKR, as well. Maybe not the comprehensive architectural event, but they've plenty of premium areas and it's not a stripped down venue by any means. Not that TTU's venue is all that barren, either.
__________________
"I'll buy that for a dollar!"
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #309
slipperydog
Registered User
 
slipperydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,401
Likes (Received): 344

Norman' s stadium is very nice. The west side concourse is a little more old school, it has a lower ceiling, but it has a nice feeling of history. Whereas the east side is very tall and open. All of these stadiums are going to have nice premium areas though, I tend to judge stadiums by their architecture, layout, campus surroundings, atmosphere, and overall experience.
slipperydog está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #310
JJG
Registered User
 
JJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 2,266
Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
Based on this image...
I'd say 60k is definitely a possibility. You can add a third tier to the east stand that would come very close (if not exactly) to that on the opposite side, while adding further seating to the north end appears easily doable. If the image above is supposed to be about 45k, then I imagine a third tier to the east and north ends could add between 8-12k total depending on the form.
That's what I thought at first. But how to get that third tier is a bit off to me...



I'm sure it can be done, but that facade makes the possibility of a third look off. I've been looking at it since the rendering was out and I don't know.
JJG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #311
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicken City, GA
Posts: 3,911
Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
All of these stadiums are going to have nice premium areas though, I tend to judge stadiums by their architecture, layout, campus surroundings, atmosphere, and overall experience.
Same for me. Context matters, and I could care less about niceties and electronics if the viewshed sucks and I can't navigate the concourse easily. Lot of people now think too highly of the material (brick, stone, ...) rather then the gracefulness of the form, and heaven knows I could care less about a lounge area when I'm hoping to spend 99% of the time in the stands. Alas, I'm old school to the modern venue owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I'm sure it can be done, but that facade makes the possibility of a third look off. I've been looking at it since the rendering was out and I don't know.
It looks to me like the structure of facade can easily be removed and a new facade added further out. That's probably left for future consideration based upon the demand for general seating vs premium, letting that dictate the final design. But either way you won't be damaging the critical structural components for the second tier.

However, I'm surprised we haven't seen anything like a true build out design image for the stadium, because with the level of thought that's gone into this design you know they'll be picky about future expansions. You'd like to think they'd want to do that with the current architects, as well, getting it done right at this point then coming back and missing the mark. Hmmm.

Either way, she's a beauty for now. Enjoy it!
__________________
"I'll buy that for a dollar!"
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 07:00 AM   #312
JJG
Registered User
 
JJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 2,266
Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post

It looks to me like the structure of facade can easily be removed and a new facade added further out. That's probably left for future consideration based upon the demand for general seating vs premium, letting that dictate the final design. But either way you won't be damaging the critical structural components for the second tier.

However, I'm surprised we haven't seen anything like a true build out design image for the stadium, because with the level of thought that's gone into this design you know they'll be picky about future expansions. You'd like to think they'd want to do that with the current architects, as well, getting it done right at this point then coming back and missing the mark. Hmmm.

Either way, she's a beauty for now. Enjoy it!
Yeah she is. The closest to what you're talking about is the 3D seat viewer...

But ya gotta remember, no matter how good TCU football does, they're in the DFW area. That means, the Frogs are in constant competition for attention with:

- Cowboys (they're ENOUGH... even on a shit season like the one two years ago, the other teams play 3rd fiddle to the 'Boys.)
- Mavs
- Rangers
- Stars
- SMU
- North Texas
- fans/alumni from the other 8 schools in the state + the 2 major Okie schools.

So I don't think TCU will have to worry about 60k for a while. That's probably why you don't see much of a form for future expansion right now.
JJG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 04:47 AM   #313
JJG
Registered User
 
JJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 2,266
Likes (Received): 188

New Seating Chart
JJG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #314
rantanamo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 3,140
Likes (Received): 92

TCU is also fighting the size of the school. I would pretty much put that above anything. Even the Cowboys.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 07:43 AM   #315
JJG
Registered User
 
JJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 2,266
Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
TCU is also fighting the size of the school. I would pretty much put that above anything. Even the Cowboys.
Well, TCU is growing at least....

Even if it means ignoring the "Christian" aspect of the school (and let's face it, they have), more and more high school grads are comin' in.
JJG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 07:37 AM   #316
rantanamo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 3,140
Likes (Received): 92

still just around 10,000 students. If they ever average that 45,000, that is simply fantastic
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 01:29 AM   #317
KingmanIII
Registered User
 
KingmanIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Killa City, Misery
Posts: 2,284
Likes (Received): 86

it's coming along!

KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 04:34 AM   #318
rantanamo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 3,140
Likes (Received): 92

Looks great. Now can they lose the ridiculously high tv angle at TCU home games?
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 05:56 AM   #319
JJG
Registered User
 
JJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 2,266
Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
Looks great. Now can they lose the ridiculously high tv angle at TCU home games?
I think that's fixed...
JJG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 06:31 AM   #320
WesTexas
Registered User
 
WesTexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dallas/Odessa/Amarillo
Posts: 662
Likes (Received): 38

Now that is a stadium to be proud of. should help with recruiting.
WesTexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
fort worth

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu