daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum > Glasgow Metro Area

Glasgow Metro Area Architecture, Design and Urban Issues in Glasgow

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old August 25th, 2010, 11:42 PM   #21
Due East

Likes (Received): 295

I agree with pretty much everything you say, but quite a lot of women I know don't like going to the gym because (they think) they get leered at. It would be a shame if they missed out on keeping in shape because of this though!!

As a male however I couldn't care less about this and think it is an outrage. Men always get the short straw...
Due East no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 26th, 2010, 04:58 AM   #22
Glasgow 2097
Six hours to Louisiana.

Likes (Received): 139

I'd wager the ladies-only nights were primarily an attempt to coax Glasgow's legion of unhealthy grannies into the pool for a bit of exercise, while protecting them from the guffaws of the evil young males looking for the saggy bits.

Personally, I was always hoping for Pirate Ship Night.

Glasgow Forum - it's dirty, and you want it.
Glasgow 2097 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 09:50 AM   #23
milton

Likes (Received): 416

You're probably both right, but it doesn''t stop me feeling a bit like I've got the short end of the straw. Blokes come in all shapes and sizes too; is it just assumed that we have a magical ability not to be embarrassed? In fact, bugger that - male health is worse than females statistically. If anyone should be in line for pandering and special effort being made to encourage excercise, it's blokes.

Just out of interest - would this fall foul of discrimination laws? Could I say it was infringing my rights?
milton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #24
legslikeaspider

Likes (Received): 22

I don't know about discrimination laws, presumably the council have thought about this (although where GCC are concerned, one can't prseume too much). I daresay they'd offer an argument about facilities of a similar standard within a reasonable distance on the night in question - you might not be able to run there so easily, but it might be a reasonable trip on a bus.

Re: the 'muslim thing' the obvious answer to the church/state thing is for them to pass it off as an ethnic equality thing. As much as men in Glasgow have poorer health than females, there are a number of other sub-groups who require special attention and it is known that Asian women have particular health issues - obesity and diabetes are higher in this population group. I think it is fair to aim specific interventions to reduce health inequalities in a particular demographic group. The problem here is the lack of explanation from The Glasgow Club about why the Holyrood Pool is unavailable to blokes on that evening.

I also agree, its not just chicks that have embarrassing bodies - I've met plenty of guys who have given up exercise because they are ashamed of their shape. What I would say though, is that men tend to exercise in a different way to women and that the total number of men exercising is greater than women. Men are much more likely to be involved in a team sport whereas women tend to prefer solo-exercise (pool, treadmill, jog, bike) or something like an aerobics class. Thus, making a pool women-only for a bit might remove an obstacle to exercise for sedentary women and have a bigger difference on female exercise rates than simply making it unisex all the time. Not saying this is morally correct given facilities are paid for by men and women alike but I think I can understand the rationale.
Old August 26th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #25
milton

Likes (Received): 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by legslikeaspider View Post
I don't know about discrimination laws, presumably the council have thought about this (although where GCC are concerned, one can't prseume too much). I daresay they'd offer an argument about facilities of a similar standard within a reasonable distance on the night in question - you might not be able to run there so easily, but it might be a reasonable trip on a bus.

Re: the 'muslim thing' the obvious answer to the church/state thing is for them to pass it off as an ethnic equality thing. As much as men in Glasgow have poorer health than females, there are a number of other sub-groups who require special attention and it is known that Asian women have particular health issues - obesity and diabetes are higher in this population group. I think it is fair to aim specific interventions to reduce health inequalities in a particular demographic group. The problem here is the lack of explanation from The Glasgow Club about why the Holyrood Pool is unavailable to blokes on that evening.

I also agree, its not just chicks that have embarrassing bodies - I've met plenty of guys who have given up exercise because they are ashamed of their shape. What I would say though, is that men tend to exercise in a different way to women and that the total number of men exercising is greater than women. Men are much more likely to be involved in a team sport whereas women tend to prefer solo-exercise (pool, treadmill, jog, bike) or something like an aerobics class. Thus, making a pool women-only for a bit might remove an obstacle to exercise for sedentary women and have a bigger difference on female exercise rates than simply making it unisex all the time. Not saying this is morally correct given facilities are paid for by men and women alike but I think I can understand the rationale.
That's a very well put and resonable answer, legs. I think you're probably right about the rationale, although I also suspect that GGC (like other councils) doesn't always think/care about everyone affected by their decisions.
You're right about the team sports bit too, although I guess the counter argument would be that the category of men most needing excercise might usually involve fairly large guys that'd be way more likely to attempt swimming as opposed to try and play a game of 5's or suchlike. That's speculation though.

With the Muslim bit, I have to go back again to the simple fact that demographics apply as much to the staff as they do to the users, and the councils can't provide female-only staff, so the point is a moot imo.
milton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 01:46 AM   #26
Kel0102

Likes (Received): 0

I was brought up in Govanhill, my parents moved to a different part of Glasgow about 4 years ago. I live elsewhere and came to Glasgow for the weekend, thought I'd stop by in Govanhill to see the remaining family. Biggest dump ever. Place is a mess now. Childrens playparks full of teenagers drinking, taking drugs and watever else whilst the kids are all paying. I'm actually scared to walk the streets.. Its not just the people of allison street that are the problem it's the young people aswell. As I was leaving Govanhill someone got stabbed on Allison and the street got shut off and all the traffic diverted. Think I'll bring my family to me next time.

Oh and the swimming pool has been opening since I was about 15 and it's stil not open.. I don't see this happening.
Old September 13th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #27
M_Riaz
MORI

Likes (Received): 242

ET

Six months to clean up Govanhill

13 Sep 2010

Senior council bosses have six months to deliver a master plan to transform Govanhill.

At a committee meeting in Glasgow’s City Chambers, council chiefs agreed to set up a taskforce to tackle crime, deprivation and unemployment in the south side community.

Chaired by councillor Anne Marie Millar, the Govanhill Regeneration Taskforce has until February to devise an action plan that will improve the area.

Last month the Evening Times revealed how the area is at crisis point and how local groups are channelling resources to bring Govanhill up to scratch.

Millar said: “The taskforce is about setting out a longer-term strategy for Govanhill.
Old January 10th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #28
M_Riaz
MORI

Bankhall Street

Residential care facility in a gap site for people with a diagnosis of dementia.

17 residents' rooms with sunspaces, communal areas, associated support facilities and a roof garden.
Responding to a growing need
In response to a growing demand for housing for people with dementia, we developed designs with Stirling Dementia Centre and the Mungo Foundation who manage the home.
Creating space in a difficult site
In this narrow urban site, access to open space is through a roof garden. Each bedroom has ensuite facilities and a sunspace where residents can see the street and have fresh air. The two escape stairs have stained glass panels illuminated at night to bring interest to the street.
Materials have been selected to achieve high insulation standards and low toxicity. Hot water is supplied by a solar water heating system with roof-mounted solar panels and there is an underfloor heating system.
The project has achieved BREEAM
Very Good rating for sustainability, however it just missed an Excellent rating due to requirements for people with dementia such as high lighting levels.

Images by GA

Old January 11th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #29
morphology

Likes (Received): 2

i see what they tried to do there. but the execution is lazy and poor. they could at least have detailed their own balustrade! lazy sods.

i also have a thing against modern stained glass windows. i think they look wrong.
morphology no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #30
escotregen

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
i also have a thing against modern stained glass windows. i think they look wrong.

Agree with you there they just come across assoemhow fake and replica and almost invariably out of a modern urban context. I have seen some resepctable productions in modern churches - but a lot of it even in that field is just naff.

It's a pity when you think that Glasgow was once a world centre in stained glass craftsmanship and manufacture. It would be good if anyone here can provide examples of modern stained glass that has worked.
escotregen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #31
legslikeaspider

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by escotregen View Post
Agree with you there they just come across assoemhow fake and replica and almost invariably out of a modern urban context. I have seen some resepctable productions in modern churches - but a lot of it even in that field is just naff.

It's a pity when you think that Glasgow was once a world centre in stained glass craftsmanship and manufacture. It would be good if anyone here can provide examples of modern stained glass that has worked.
Not quite modern, and not in Glasgow but the stained glass inside Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral 'Paddy's Wigwam' is pretty amazing. I'm sure there are good images of it on Flickr.
Old January 12th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #32
gweilo
Jacobsian sentimentalist

Happy new year to all,

I love stained glass though I admit there is a lot of contemporary work that verges too much towards twee for my taste. However, Scotland does have some very good stained glass artists. Glasgow Cathedral has the best collection of Scottish post war stained glass work that I am aware of and some of the best stained glass artists from the early 1950’s until the Millennium are represented there. I think that collectively the resultant quality of light is both superb and quite moving. As a result the present day emotional experience of the cathedral interior must be enormously different from the somewhat sugary and sentimental 19th century Bavarian glass that was removed (ostensibly due to the impact of pollution) after the second world war. John Clark’s work is very good (he did the fish in Café Gandolfi) and Joe and Yvette who used to run Glasworks in Aird Lane ( which used to be a regular and now much missed stop for me on Doors Open Day) did very good work as well. Sadie McClellan, who died in 2007 and has two windows in the cathedral, was a master and deserves to be better known. Her obituary is here:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sadie-mclellan-1.839560

John Clark’s website, who taught at the art school but I think is now based in Germany, is here:

http://www.glasspainter.com/

Michael Donnelly is the expert of Scottish stained glass and you can find his website here:

http://scotstainedglass.com/index.html

Last edited by gweilo; January 13th, 2011 at 09:38 AM.
gweilo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 09:18 PM   #33
M_Riaz
MORI

Report on Physical Regeneration within Southside Central Ward 8 with
details of key developments, both proposed and underway

ITEM 4 7 FEBRUARY 2011

Purpose of Report:
To advise on Key developments

Recommendations:
That the Committee notes the content of the report

2. 0 Govanhill Short Life Taskforce
2.1 A multi agency Taskforce, chaired by Councillor Anne Marie Millar, has
been established with representation from Council Services, Govanhill
Housing Association, the South East CHCP, the South East Regeneration
Agency and other appropriate local agencies. The work of the taskforce is
led by DRS who have overall responsibility for the working arrangement,
preparing appropriate papers, and producing the final report on their
behalf.
2.2 The purpose of the taskforce is to prepare a regeneration plan which
builds upon existing work in the area. Although the Council and other
agencies have already taken a number of positive steps to address the
challenges which exist in Govanhill, in areas such as:

(a) Housing Improvement and Development;
(b) Employability;
(c) Public Environment and Cleansing; and
(d) Racial Equality.
(e) Education;
(f) Community Safety.

it is considered a more concentrated effort is now required to address the
issues facing the area through closer co-ordination of resources, interagency
working, and increased effort.
2.3 To date there have been two meetings of the taskforce and this is due to
produce its final report early in 2011. It is intended that the report will take
the form of a regeneration action plan for Govanhill with a more detailed
report being presented to this Committee upon completion of the Action
Plan.
3.0 Site at Victoria Road/ Butterbiggins Road Glasgow
3.1 Currently the Council is considering a major planning application in
Govanhill for the erection of a superstore, retail units, restaurant unit,
petrol filling station, car wash parking and servicing (in principle) and
related access, on the existing First Bus Depot.
3.2 The application was submitted by Muir Smith Evans in Spring 2010 on
behalf of Park Lane Land and First Glasgow (No 1) Ltd and proposes the
relocation of the First Bus Depot to the former Freightliner Depot on
Cathcart Road/Caledonia Road (see later)
Old February 3rd, 2011, 06:45 PM   #34
gweilo
Jacobsian sentimentalist

Thanks for posting the Southside Central Ward 8 key developments information in both this thread and the Laurieston / Gorbals one Mo. By combining the two I am intrigued by what could result from this:

Quote:
3.0 Site at Victoria Road/ Butterbiggins Road Glasgow
3.1 Currently the Council is considering a major planning application in Govanhill for the erection of a superstore, retail units, restaurant unit, petrol filling station, car wash parking and servicing (in principle) and related access, on the existing First Bus Depot.
3.2 The application was submitted by Muir Smith Evans in Spring 2010 on behalf of Park Lane Land and First Glasgow (No 1) Ltd and proposes the relocation of the First Bus Depot to the former Freightliner Depot on Cathcart Road/Caledonia Road (see later)

7.0 Cathcart Road/Caledonia Road
7.1 A ‘Proposal of Application Notice’ was recently submitted by Tesco Stores Ltd/Cathcart Developments Ltd (10/02534/DC) for the former Castle Cash and Carry site bounded by Cathcart Road, Caledonia Road, and M74 Motorway extension. This comprises;
7.2 The erection of mixed use development (in principle) to include office/business units, residential development, retail superstore and petrol filling station, together with access and landscape arrangements.
7.3 As members may be aware under a ‘Proposal of Application Notice’ a period of 12 weeks from the submission must elapse before the submission of an application for full planning permission. With this in mind, the applicants’ agent had intimated the intention to submit a full application on 14th January. At the point of writing however (19th) this has yet to arrive.

8.0 Site at Former Freightliner Depot on Cathcart Road/Caledonia Road
8.1 In 2009 an application for full planning permission (09/00716/DC) was submitted for the relocation of First Bus to the above site. The proposal
comprises:-
8.2 “Use of vacant land as bus garage, comprising service, workshop and office buildings, formation of vehicular access, associated car parking and landscaping”.
8.3 The Planning Applications Committee has confirmed their intention to grant planning permission, subject to completion of a Section 75 agreement safeguarding roads upgrading works. As the Section 75 agreement has yet to be completed a decision notice remains to be issued.
Two rival supermarket bids plus a large bus depot straddling the M74 and re-linking Govanhill to the Gorbals and Laurieston either side of two key Southside road corridors.

Cumulatively the area to be regenerated is approximately the same size as Glasgow Harbour. But... with the exception of the supermarket proposal for the Victoria Road/ Butterbiggins Road site has anyone seen any images of it?

And…what sort of city will this result in? Big sheds containing retailers intent of funnelling money out of the local economy and down to London HQ, swathes of car parking and the few pedestrians brave enough having to scurry along past the commuter traffic breathing in the vapours from the M74 tailbacks? I do hope not.

Clearly times are hard and there has to be a degree of realism about how to get the local economy going again but if that is the future for the Southside, with all that entails for local communities and existing retail centres with small retailers and businesses such as Victoria Road, Shawlands, and Crown Street, hawd me back…
Old February 3rd, 2011, 07:06 PM   #35
Sol00

That's the way it's going in towns and cities all over the world. The area can either be left to deteriorate further, or join in with the other areas and redevelop.
Sol00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 08:00 PM   #36
gweilo
Jacobsian sentimentalist

Yes but my point is that to genuinely regenerate these areas you need something that it going to both revive and nourish their communities. I’d rather see that than acquiesce to a system that will ultimately further undermine them but gives a tick in the box superficial appearance of having done something and generated jobs to meet a target even if those jobs have little value or spiritual / cultural worth. Is a bit of soul too much to ask for?
Old February 4th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #37
escotregen

That's the way it's going in towns and cities all over the world

Yes but it’s why that development model became a zero zum game. No city is really moving forward – all they were doing was increasingly ‘borrowing’ a wee bit of trickle-down benefit from the same retail and property led so-called regeneration.

Then some other city quickly comes along with an updated clone and takes over the ‘borrowed’ benefits... and on it went – until the credit crunch implosion meant that in the words of the outgoing Head of Regeneration in Scottish Government ‘the retail and housing led model of regeneration is broken’ (and we need other models).

The cities (and increasingly, towns) that are now making progress are those that can offer something different from Clone Town Britain; something authentic, or original or heritage laden.

Glasgow, with the complications of its adjacent areas, seems especially vulnerable on continuing with a development strategy that no longer works – see my other posting under Clyde Gateway on the very similar degeneration-instead-of regeneration situation South Lanarkshire Council and Clyde Gateway are creating around the traditional centres of Rutherglen and Cambuslang.

It’s all a bit reminiscent of when Glasgow was still building multi-story flats when English authorities had already recognising the disaster and were planning demolition.
escotregen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #38
Sol00

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweilo View Post
Yes but my point is that to genuinely regenerate these areas you need something that it going to both revive and nourish their communities. I’d rather see that than acquiesce to a system that will ultimately further undermine them but gives a tick in the box superficial appearance of having done something and generated jobs to meet a target even if those jobs have little value or spiritual / cultural worth. Is a bit of soul too much to ask for?
I agree with you, but I still think it's better than allowing the area to continually deteriorate, which is what will happen if Tesco are not given permission.

Vicky Road has been on the decline for years, long before Braehead and Silverburn were built. I think this is mainly due to lazy retailers and the council allowing the area to get to where it is now - empty shop spaces and fast food places.

I think there's room for a Byres Road style of street in the southside, but it will be the council, community and local retailers that will have to fund this and it's extremely unlikely that any of them would be willing to do anything for the forseeable.
Old February 4th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #39
Due East

Likes (Received): 295

I would disagree. I think its better to hold out for something better. If we allow more supermarkets then we will never be able to get rid of them. How many businesses do you see opening up in communities where Tesco has opened. As Gweilo says, the towns that have staved off these big box retailers will have a pretty valuable USP when it comes to attracting investment. Not many towns with any 'soul' left.

I agree that the southside could support a Byres Road type avenue. I think the council should create a few special development zones (Vicky Road, Duke Street, Maryhill Road, Rutherglen High Street) and have a 3 year business rate exemption for new businesses (not bookies, gold shops and the usual crap). Nothing to lose really - might as well give new ideas the chance to thrive without the crippling bureaucratic hurdles.

Come on Glasgow Council - you are supposed to be a left leaning council. Its your duty to even out the unfair neoliberal free market crap that has ruined the city. How about supporting people in Glasgow who want to create business rather than handing monopolies to a group of 4 companies who register themselves in countries like Luxembourg to avoid tax.

Am I the only one that gets this pissed off about the way things are heading??
Due East no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2011, 12:15 AM   #40
Sol00

I don't think it will ever go back to days of old and we need to accept and embrace change in order to compete with other cities, otherwise Glasgow will decline.

In order for small independent shops to be in every major street in Glasgow, people's attitudes would need to change from enjoying the convenience of a supermarket, with most things under one roof at cheaper prices, to paying more in different shops. People don't want to do this anymore and it's unlikely they will.

I saw a very large Sainsbury's in Maidenhead a couple if years ago with flats joined to it. The streets around it were spotless and everything looked really clean. I think parts of Glasgow could really benefit from something like this.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: