daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 25th, 2005, 09:01 PM   #1
sky10

Likes (Received): 0

boston subway

How is the boston subway system differs from the new york subway in terms of fare control,signalling,train cars ans etc?
sky10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2005, 10:09 PM   #2
DarkFenX
A B C

Likes (Received): 14

Boston fare is cheaper than NYC and the trains aren't the same for every line. Also in New York, every train can go onto each track while Boston, the trains are all different meaning they a blue line train cannot go onto an orangle station whereas NYC's Q and W could. Boston's T fare is $1.25 for train and $.90 for bus (Some cost more because it travels farther).

Red Line

Green Line

Orange Line

Blue Line

BOSTON - CITY OF CHAMPIONS

NE Patriots 2001 - NE Patriots 2003 - NE Patriots 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2007 - Boston Celtics 2008 - Boston Bruins 2011 - Boston Red Sox 2013 - NE Patriots 2014
DarkFenX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 10:16 PM   #3
Menino de Sampa
antiVittaria antiGranito

Likes (Received): 6

Isnt Boston an extremely rich city? The trains look rather old!
Menino de Sampa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 10:37 PM   #4
DonQui
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Just a few clarifications on what DarkFenx wrote

He is right in saying that each line has rolling stock specific to it in Boston, the most important difference being between the red-orange-blue heavy rail subway lines and teh green light rail line. In regards to the red and orange line vs. the blue line, the main difference is that the blue line collects power in different forms. While underground, it collects it through an electrified 3rd rail, typical of most American subways. However, at the "Airport" stop on the blue line, you can see the trains lift up collectors that gain power through overhead, catenary wires, the typical form of power collection in subways like Madrid.

However, not all the subways in NYC can be used interchangeably. There is a strict division in the subway of new york. The numbered trains (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9) run with narrow rolling stock, as the tunnels for these trains were the first built in the entire system. The lettered trains (all the other trains on the NYC subway) were built more recently, and thus employ wider stock. But, since the track is all the same width, a numbered train could go into a lettered stations, but there would be a large gap between the platform and the car. A lettered train would not be able to even fit into a numbered train station. However, all numbered trains are interchageable with each other, and all lettered trains are interchangeable. Makes sense?

In addition, Boston's subway may be cheaper, but in NY, you get much more fore paying an extra $0.75. For example:

1) FREE bus to bus, bus to train, and train to bus transfer. So, in Boston, on most bus routes, you would have to pay $1.25 for the subway, then $0.90 for the bus, adding up to $2.15

2) In NY, there are a shit load of multi-trip passes that actually make the cost of an average trip less than the nominal $2.00 fare. Recently, I purchased a metro card for $20. Because I purchased this amount, the MTA gave me an addition $4.00 when I purchased. So, as opposed to taking only 10 trips with a $20 metro card, I can take 12 trips, which works out to $1.75 a trip.

3) There are also unlimited fare metro cards that are good for various lengths of time, whereas in Boston, you only have a monthly pass that is only good for the calendar month. In NYC, you can get a 30 day pass that starts at any point of the month

4) a) In NYC, subway access reaches the poor parts of the city as well. In Boston, subway access is NOTORIOUSLY shitty for the poorer neighborhoods like Roxbury and Dorchester. Boston's subway primarily serves wealthier Cambridge, stopping at Harvard and MIT, the richer suburbs of Boston by way of the green line, and larger white suburban communities by way of the blue line. Only the orange line cuts into the poorer parts of the city.

b) The reason I am harping on this is because it is these people that, if they lived in NY, would benefit the most from the free transfer. The vast majority of Roxbury residents have to take a bus to reach a train. So, for wealthy Boston, $1.25 is all they need to pay, but for poorer Boston, they have to pay $2.15. Not too fair, ey?

@ Menino. All in all, Boston has a FANTASTIC public transportation system, and larger cities in this country have shit when compared to Boston. However, still, in this country, we are reluctant to adequately invest in public transport. This applies in Boston with the MBTA transportation authority, and with NYC with its MTA. Sort of similar to Brazil in that respect, but more so because in Boston, rich and poor take public transport, which, if I understand correctly is not the case in Brazil, where you take public transport because you cannot afford a car.
DonQui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2005, 04:23 AM   #5
Jayayess1190

Likes (Received): 45

there is no orange line picture, now there is.

Last edited by Jayayess1190; August 29th, 2005 at 12:13 AM.
Jayayess1190 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2005, 05:23 AM   #6
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18218

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2005, 05:39 AM   #7
sequoias

not too impressed with the Boston LRT/subway trains. They look like an eyesore, BUT they are probably functional enough to get you around.
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2005, 07:35 AM   #8
Randwicked
Яandwicked

Likes (Received): 4

^ Unlike Seattle's trains...
Old August 28th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #9
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoias
not too impressed with the Boston LRT/subway trains. They look like an eyesore, BUT they are probably functional enough to get you around.
I used to be a daily commuter on the Boston "T". The Red, Blue, and Orange Line subway trains and stations are not pretty but they are functional. The Green Line light rail system is better than buses but is not up to the standards of a modern rail system. There is no level floor loading of the light rail trains even in the subway portions. The MBTA has purchased a fleet of trouble-prone low-floor cars but there still is no provision for level floor loading. The light rail system has substantial stretches of on-street running, mostly in street medians. To the best of my knowledge, the system lacks traffic signal pre-emption. Having to mix with motor vehicle traffic tends to make service erratic.

Last edited by greg_christine; August 28th, 2005 at 04:21 PM.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #10
CHANEL
WhAtEvEr

Likes (Received): 5

WHEN WAS THIS BUILT.
CHANEL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2005, 04:14 PM   #11
DonQui
BANNED

Actually, contrary to popular belief, Boston's Green Line is the first subway every built in this country, so it is over a century old. However, there have obviously been many additions since then.
Old August 28th, 2005, 10:44 PM   #12
Haber

Likes (Received): 0

Looks like it hasn't been updated in a long time
Haber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 03:09 AM   #13
DarkFenX
A B C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQui
1) FREE bus to bus, bus to train, and train to bus transfer. So, in Boston, on most bus routes, you would have to pay $1.25 for the subway, then $0.90 for the bus, adding up to $2.15
Some correction. There are free bus to bus transfer in Boston. Also at some location especially with the Green Line station getting rebuilt and extended, there is train to bus transfer.

NE Patriots 2001 - NE Patriots 2003 - NE Patriots 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2007 - Boston Celtics 2008 - Boston Bruins 2011 - Boston Red Sox 2013 - NE Patriots 2014
Old August 29th, 2005, 03:13 AM   #14
DarkFenX
A B C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haber
Looks like it hasn't been updated in a long time
The Green Line is recently getting a newer version as seen in the first pic of the Green Line. Surprisingly, the newer version of the Red Line is actually around 10 years old. Back then, the train was consider very futuristic with automated stop announcement. Right now it is still very clean and very quiet during travel. The Blue line and the Orange Line has plans and rendering of its new train but has not been put into motion due to the renovations of multiple train station, the posibility of changing the Silver Line into light rail with a new tunnel, and the possibility of changing a route of the commuter rail into heavy rail and extending the green line to a few more stops. This puts heavy pressure on the budget my guess and so that these new trains will not be arriving anytime soon.

Old August 29th, 2005, 05:03 AM   #15
Cloudship

Likes (Received): 97

My understanding is that they are not getting any more new trains for the Green Line. They had so many problems with them that there was some kind of dispute (and maybe lawsuit?) and the contract got canceled. I don't know if they are going to order new trains or not - from my understanding the Boeing LRVs are pretty problematic and they want to get r
id of them.
Cloudship no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 02:02 PM   #16
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

Great subway system. I didn't like the Green line though, because there were so many stops in a small distance, and it didn't go so fast.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 06:15 PM   #17
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

The following pictures of Boston light rail vehicles are from the www.nycsubway.org and www.lightrail.com websites:

PCC (Delivered 1945-?) - Still in use on Mattapan High Speed Line, which is considered a branch of the Red Line.

Boeing-Vertol (Delivered 1976-1978)

Kinkisharyo (Delivered 1986-1988)

Breda (Delivered 1997-?) - Order truncated due to technical problems.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 06:45 AM   #18
MelbourneCity

Likes (Received): 25

Those trains look quite old and ugly.
The trams/light rail vehichles also look rather poor.

Melburnian in Sydney via Bendigo
MelbourneCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 08:25 AM   #19
Frungy

The Breda low-floor ones (the newest ones) kept derailing above ground... I dunno if they ever got fixed, or if they're allowed on all lines now. I think they used to only operate on the B Commonwealth Ave line.
Frungy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 08:30 AM   #20
DonQui
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneCity
Those trains look quite old and ugly.
The trams/light rail vehichles also look rather poor.
well, the way I see it, it is better to have a subway than none (such as in Melbourne).

I agree though, more money could be spent making the system more aesthetically pleasing. But, it runs well most of the time, great frequencies, and insured that during university, I did not have to own a car, which, for an American city, is quite a rarity. Only Boston, NY, DC, and Chicago offer such a system.

Tags
boston, massdot, the t