daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 29th, 2012, 05:26 AM   #181
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2012, 12:16 AM   #182
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Green Line extension put off until 2018
August 02, 2011|By Matt Byrne, Globe Correspondent

The long-anticipated extension of the Green Line has been delayed an additional three years, state planners said yesterday, with service to T riders in Somerville and Medford slated to begin in fall 2018 at the earliest.

The reason for the delay is a decision by transportation planners to wait to obtain all or most of the parcels of land and environmental permits the billion-dollar project requires before the state puts major design and construction out to bid, the Massachusetts Department of Transportation said in a statement.

diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 08:19 PM   #183
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Yeah, I had that same expression when I first heard the news. With an additional involuntary eyebrow twitch, of course.

There's been a lot of talk in Massachusetts about the T's new austerity measures. I don't oppose fare increases because, let's face it, the State will weasel its way out of any obligation to fund transit, so some kind of revenue has to be made. As for service cuts, I feel that those won't be implemented in an efficient way.
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 06:05 AM   #184
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old February 12th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #185
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old February 13th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #186
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Ugh, so painful to watch. Mostly the part where the buses have to turn off their diesel engines and switch to the overhead wires.

Truly a symptom of the lack of vision that Boston's 'leadership' possesses.
Old March 11th, 2012, 08:54 AM   #187
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old March 14th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #188
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old March 21st, 2012, 06:11 PM   #189
Busfotodotnl

Likes (Received): 511

In february i got the oppurtunity to visit Boston for a day as an European. Great city with interesting transport.

Here some of my videos and fotos i uploaded to Youtube and photobucket for you. Comments are in dutch because i wrote them in that language for an other section of Skyscraperscity:

Een tram op de voor huidige begrippen zeer krappe eindlus in Mattapan.

Een PCC-car bij de halte Central Avenue

Trajectvideo van de lijn van beginpunt Ashmont tot aan Mattapan.

Een PCC nadert eindpunt Ashmont, gefotografeerd vanaf het eindpunt.

Dezelfde tram vanaf hetzelfde punt genomen, nu alleen wat dichterbij

De remise annex werkplaats in Mattapan, met diverse PCC-cars die op dat moment niet werden ingezet.

De 3262 in de keerlus van Mattapan.

De volgende paar foto's zijn gemaakt bij de halte Central Avenue. De laatste toont een kruising tussen twee wagens.

Foto van een tram bij de keerlus in Ashmont. Dit viaduct is slechts enkele jaren oud. Hiervoor was er een gemeenschappelijk bus- en tramstation.

Tot slot nog enkele foto's van het ogenschijnlijke vrij originele interieur van de PCC-cars in Boston.

Het centrale deel met diverse trams die door het Copleystation rijden.

Halte aan de E-tak van de Green Line, waar de tram op een vrije baan met het normale verkeer meerijdt.

Boylston station, waar de vele bochten en wissels leiden tot een hels geknetter van elke tram die binnenkomt.

Government Center, een van de tunneleindpunten in het centrum

Een foto van het Boylston station.

Een andere afbeelding van het Boylston station, waar op de zijsporen een PCC-tram en een andere oude tram staan opgesteld. Deze twee trams staan afgesloten door middel van hekken op de buitenste sporen van dit station. Deze buitenste sporen waren onderdeel van een stuk tramtunnel dat begin jaren 60 buiten gebruik raakte. In dit tunneldeel stonden jaren geleden nog een aantal Boeing Vertol trams opgesteld, die ondanks hun jonge leeftijd door het vervoersbedrijf daar deels gestript waren opgesteld. Ontdekking hiervan door een journalist leidde tot openbaarheid over het grote probleem dat het vervoersbedrijf had met de Boeing trams.

De bocht na de Boylston halte, die ook zorgt voor een behoorlijke geluidsproductie.

Interieur van een van de Ansaldotrams, die dus is voorzien van een lagevloergedeelte. Het vervoersbedrijf belooft elke tramkoppelstel te voorzien van in elk geval 1 lagevloertram.

Government Center, in de tramtunnel en een eindpunt van een deel van de trams. Hoe verder stadinwaarts wordt gereden, hoe minder trams daadwerkelijk tot het eindpunt Lechmere rijden. Het grootste deel keert onderweg in een van de ondergrondse keerlussen.

Tenslotte nog een drietal plaatjes van het eindpunt Lechmere, waar in de keerlus nog een kleine remise is gesitueerd. Op het tunneltraject zijn de tramhaltes afgesloten met poortjes, waardoor er minder wordt zwartgereden. Op de straattrajecten worden alleen de voorste deuren van elk tramstel geopend. Hoewel dit wel zorgt voor een vertraagde circulatie, vindt hierdoor wel controle plaats op de vervoersbewijzen, aangezien voorin het achterste tramstel ook altijd een conducteur aanwezig is op de bestuurdersplaats.

Busfotodotnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 10:29 PM   #190
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Is there any other country besides the USA that cheats by freely categorising its transit lines metro, subway? Pedestrian, vehicular level crossings, even a static Stop sign thrown in! That car's still charming even with its re-engineered motor(?). Mind you, I do like the "high speed line" concept, and love how they negotiate between back yards; I didn't know about Boston having one. How many lines could be pegged to this category? Might devoting a thread to it be worthwhile?
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:33 PM   #191
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19268

I was in Boston few years ago but didn't use public transport.
Wow, these vehicles look ancient
Are there any plans of replacing the rolling stock? Even in many post-communist countries in Eastern Europe trams like that were scrapped long time ago.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 06:07 PM   #192
trainrover

Were there any such plan, then I imagine it would be coupled to upgrading its infrastructure, e.g., eliminating the on-board fare boxes and cumbersome steps. Mind you, its overall tranquility's incredibly appealing to me, it's altogether adorable!
Old March 23rd, 2012, 04:39 AM   #193
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
I was in Boston few years ago but didn't use public transport.
Wow, these vehicles look ancient
Are there any plans of replacing the rolling stock? Even in many post-communist countries in Eastern Europe trams like that were scrapped long time ago.
You would have to define the word 'plans'. Because when it comes to the T, the erm, 'plans' are more discussions about discussions about suggestions.

That aside, there are already proposals to put the new Type 9 trams on the Green Line. Most likely, when the Green Line extension to Medford opens. So, 2035, give or take a few years.
Old April 28th, 2012, 12:52 AM   #194
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5780

Well, this week they extended the MBTA Providence Line to Wickford Junction. Now there are 3 MBTA train stations in Rhode Island: (1) Providence, (2) Airport, (3) Wickford Junction. There are also 3 Amtrak stations: (1) Providence, (2) Kingston, (3) Westerly. Amtrak stations pass by the 2 other MBTA stations between Providence and Kingston.

source: http://news.providencejournal.com/bu...ay-photos.html

source: http://northkingstown.patch.com/arti...#photo-9386039

More images here: http://providencechamber.wordpress.c...train-station/
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 01:10 AM   #195
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Dutch double deckers look like metros compared to those behemoths.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 03:46 AM   #196
trainrover

Peculiar arrangement, that MBTA commuter extension is, considering its being both interstate and interurban.
Old April 29th, 2012, 05:11 AM   #197
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Peculiar arrangement, that MBTA commuter extension is, considering its being both interstate and interurban.
They extended it to a field in Rhode Island. It's getting more and more inter-rural than anything else.
Old April 29th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #198
trainrover

Funny you should relate that, coz questionable development's been on my mind over a month now
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #199
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

New Orange Line station for Somerville

image hosted on flickr

Somerville, Assembly Square Groundbreaking, April 30, 2012
MBTA GM Jon Davis joins federal, state, local officials for the Assembly Square groundbreaking, Somerville. The mixed-use transit-oriented development will include a new Orange Line Station.

source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/massdot...in/photostream
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #200
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

MBTA Assembly Square Station (Orange Line) renderings

Source: http://www.mbta.com/about_the_mbta/t...t.asp?id=22873

Tags
boston, massdot, the t