daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 20th, 2014, 05:35 PM   #361
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6104

Cause we would all hate a name that wouldn't take up two sentences.

dimlys1994, Swede liked this post
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2014, 05:12 AM   #362
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAronymous View Post
Cause we would all hate a name that wouldn't take up two sentences.
Yes, that would suck.

Dukakis was 1988. 1992 was Bill Clinton.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2014, 08:15 AM   #363
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
Yes, that would suck. Dukakis was 1988. 1992 was Bill Clinton.
Ouch! Thanks!

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2014, 07:10 PM   #364
dimlys1994

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/n...n-funding.html

Boston to get Green Line extension funding
03 Dec 2014

USA: The Federal Transit Administration is to provide $996m towards the northern extension of Boston’s Green light rail line from Lechmere to Somerville and Medford. Congress is to review the funding agreement for 30 days before it is officially confirmed.

The FTA released a commitment letter on December 2, with the money coming from its New Start Engineering grant programme. The total construction cost is estimated at $2·3bn, with the remaining funds to come from the state of Massachusetts.

The Green Line’s current terminus of Lechmere in East Cambridge would be relocated and the line extended to College Avenue in Medford on a 5·4 km above-ground alignment, plus a 1·4 km branch to Union Square in Somerville.

The first phase would extend the line to Union Square and Washington Street, and is due for completion by 2017. Preliminary work on these stations, along with the new Lechmere station, began in late 2014. The remainder of the extension, with four stations, would open by 2020.

The project was originally due to be completed in 2011. Civil works began in April 2013 to widen rail bridges along the route and clear land on Water Street in Cambridge
Old December 12th, 2014, 09:28 PM   #365
dimlys1994

More on Government Center station reconstruction:

geometarkv liked this post
Old January 8th, 2015, 05:29 PM   #366
dimlys1994

Official from MBTA:

Quote:
http://www.mbta.com/about_the_mbta/n...1&month=&year=

MassDOT & MBTA Select Developer for Turnpike Air Rights Parcel 13, Hynes Station
1/6/2015

MassDOT and the MBTA have selected The Peebles Corporation as the developer for Turnpike Air Rights Parcel 13 at the corner of Boylston Street and Massachusetts Avenue in the Back Bay and the adjacent Hynes Convention Center Station on the Green Line.

The Peebles proposal calls for a 373,000-square-foot development to include 85 rental and 88 condominium residential units, a 156-key hotel, 26,000 square feet of retail space, and 138 accessory parking spaces. The conceptual project design proposes a single, serpentine building mass with a maximum height of 11-stories, within the height limits established by City zoning.

As required by the RFP, the project also will house new, state-of-the-art, fully accessible entrances to Hynes Station on Massachusetts Avenue and Boylston Street, as well as making accessibility and other improvements throughout the station and replacing aging Green Line electrical equipment. To ensure the full coordination of the air rights project and station improvements, the RFP required a single, integrated development team that includes not only the Parcel 13 developer but also the designer for the Hynes Station improvements. The Peebles team includes HDR, Inc., an architecture and engineering firm, as the station designer.

The Peebles proposal was one of three proposals received by MassDOT in November for the site. The other proposals were from Boston Residential Group, which proposed student housing, retail, and hotel uses, and Trinity Financial, which proposed residential and retail uses

Nexis liked this post
Old January 9th, 2015, 07:16 PM   #367
dimlys1994

From Global Rail News:

Quote:
http://www.globalrailnews.com/blog/2...ine-extension/

Funding pledge for Boston Green line extension
8 JAN, 2015

The US government has issued a $996 million federal grant to fund the extension of Boston’s Green Line to Somerville and Medford.

MBTA plans to extend the light rail line by 7.6 kilometres from its current northern terminus at Lechmere station in East Cambridge to Union Square and College Avenue.

The $2.3 billion project includes the construction of six new stations and will see 24 new trams ordered.

United States Secretary of Transportation Anthony Foxx announced the Department of Transportation’s contribution earlier this week.

Preliminary works began in 2013 and the extension will be completed in phases by 2020
Old January 10th, 2015, 11:03 AM   #368
lsg97

Likes (Received): 91

I just read that the USOC decided for Boston to be the applicant city as anew American Olympic venue for the 2024 games. Do you think we might see some major expansion of the subway / commuter rail system?
lsg97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 02:50 AM   #369
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1039

That'll all depend on if Boston is actually chosen. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, as Boston being chosen would put a lot of motivation behind building a commuter rail up to Manchester, where I'm living for the next few years.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 06:25 AM   #370
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5780

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsg97 View Post
I just read that the USOC decided for Boston to be the applicant city as anew American Olympic venue for the 2024 games. Do you think we might see some major expansion of the subway / commuter rail system?
When Los Angeles hosted the Olympics in 1984, they had no subway, no light rail, no commuter rail. Atlanta did not do much MARTA expansion in the lead-up to 1996. Salt Lake City opened the first stretch of TRAX a few years before the Olympics.

So it's a mixed bag for American cities.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2015, 01:27 AM   #371
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
When Los Angeles hosted the Olympics in 1984, they had no subway, no light rail, no commuter rail. Atlanta did not do much MARTA expansion in the lead-up to 1996. Salt Lake City opened the first stretch of TRAX a few years before the Olympics.

So it's a mixed bag for American cities.
American cities still largely focused on expanding their highways and flattening their downtowns for stadiums and their surface lots in the 80's and 90's. Today, they have a far better focus on rail based transportation, so the Olympics could lead to improved surface and station upgrades near existing stadiums and new lines to service new stadiums.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/

Tower Dude liked this post
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 09:57 AM   #372
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Quote:
Western Mass. lawmakers want to study Boston to Springfield high-speed rail

Springfield area business and civic officials board an Amtrak train to Springfield after their visit to Hartford's Union Station during day-long learning tour of rail terminals as the Springfield Union Station renovation project is under way. December 8, 2014. (Michael S. Gordon / The Republican) (Michael S. Gordon)

By Shira Schoenberg | [email protected]
Follow on Twitter
on January 20, 2015 at 8:00 AM, updated January 20, 2015 at 8:02 AM

A coalition of lawmakers from Western Massachusetts is pushing for a study of the feasibility of expanded Boston to Springfield high-speed rail.

A bill sponsored by newly elected state Sen. Eric Lesser, a Longmeadow Democrat, would require the Department of Transportation to submit a report by Aug. 1, 2015, that includes "an examination and evaluation of the costs and economic, social and cultural benefits" to the Greater Springfield region and the state, according to a bill summary.

Lesser said Western Massachusetts has not experienced the same economic growth as the rest of the state over the last several years. A rail link, he said, could be a catalyst for growth. "We look at what are the big things we need to do to keep ourselves competitive, and one of most essential is we need to better integrate ourselves in the growing economies we have all around us, to our east, our south and our north," Lesser said. "If greater Springfield was better linked to those centers of economic opportunity, it will bring more benefits to us, allow us to bring and grow more jobs here and to raise property values."

Lesser has secured support from 16 senators and representatives from Western Massachusetts, of both political parties, and from state Sen. Thomas McGee, a Lynn Democrat who chairs the Senate Transportation Committee.

McGee said he thinks the study is part of a larger conversation the state needs to have about its transportation plan for the next five or 10 years. "We need to, as a commonwealth, talk about what do we see as our future, what investments we feel we should make to make sure our economy grows, and transportation is a part of that discussion," McGee said. McGee said he thinks it is important to talk with regional leaders and explore the impacts of the east-west rail line on Western Massachusetts and statewide.

Today, there is a single daily passenger train, Amtrak's Lake Shore Limited, running between Boston and Springfield on its way to Chicago. The train ride takes 135 minutes – which in many cases is longer than a bus takes running along the Massachusetts Turnpike.

Train service is limited by the condition of the tracks and by the decision of CSX, the rail company that owns the tracks, to prioritize freight service so passenger trains have to wait for freight trains to pass. Timothy Brennan, executive director of the Pioneer Valley Planning Commission, called the existing rail line "antiquated," and said it is a circuitous track that would need a lot of work for a train to safely travel faster.

There used to be more rail service. In 1960, there were five trains a day between Boston and Springfield. Trains have come and gone over the years.

There have already been upgrades along part of the route. The state purchased tracks between Worcester and Boston in 2010, and track upgrades are expected to be finished by the summer. There is now regular MBTA service along that route.
http://www.masslive.com/politics/ind...l#incart_river
Visit the New Jersey Section

Svartmetall liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 12:19 AM   #373
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Quote:
More information coming on Plaistow commuter rail station Wednesday

ADAM SWIFT
Union Leader Correspondent

PLAISTOW — Residents and town officials could have a lot more information about a potential commuter rail station and layover facility this week.

On Wednesday, the New Hampshire Department of Transportation will host a public information meeting on the Plaistow Commuter Rail Extension Study at 7 p.m. at Plaistow Town Hall.

During the meeting, the NHDOT will present a draft recommended alternative for a potential station and layover facility for extended commuter rail service.

Over the past year, consultants have been undertaking a $667,000 study on bringing MBTA commuter rail service to New Hampshire.

Three potential alternatives have been brought forward for stations and layover facilities, with the NHDOT expected to make its recommendation for one site on Wednesday night.

One of the alternatives includes a layover facility in Haverhill and a station in Plaistow, and two others are for a combined layover and rail station in Plaistow in locations off Main Street.

Over the last month, selectmen have been laying the groundwork to let residents vote on the final alternative for a commuter rail station and layover facility at some point in 2015.

One group of residents has been opposed to any layover facility that would house trains, either in or near the Plaistow town line.

Audrey Peck said many residents have been opposed to the project since the latest rail study was proposed in 2012.

“We believe this project is a threat to our quality of life, and does not bring sufficient offsetting benefits,” said Peck. She noted that a 2012 nonbinding vote showed the majority of residents in Plaistow do not want a layover facility in town.
http://www.newhampshire.com/article/...newhampshire08
Visit the New Jersey Section

dimlys1994 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 07:18 AM   #374
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 885

I cannot understand why no one's talking about electrification of commuter rail lines, even if it is partial. Let's say Providence line, which will need no upgrade at all, or Franklin and Needham lines of which most length is already electrified.
And those trains, god, even during rush hour, only two or three of the cars of each train are occupied and again, never full.
I think mbta should use trains smaller and lighter than these double decker giants that never fill up and reach a better frequency of let's say 1 train every 1 hour per destination.
I mean, if you have to commute using mbta and miss the train, oh boy, you're so funked up!
The price is ridiculous too, 14 bucks for zone 3 roundtrip is too much for what you get.
In Europe you can fly to other countries for $14.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 08:17 PM   #375
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

I think that will happen eventually with South Coast Rail

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 09:10 PM   #376
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovem View Post
I mean, if you have to commute using mbta and miss the train, oh boy, you're so funked up!
Then don't miss the train.

Also, the Framingham/Worcester Line is pretty busy at rush hour. I imagine the Lowell Line as well, and maybe the Providence Line, too.

What would be the benefit of electrification?
Old February 2nd, 2015, 09:50 PM   #377
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Electrification leads to faster, denser, service.

Electrics generally have better acceleration.

Lower operating costs.

Tighter schedules means fewer vehicles required for a given level of service.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 11:15 PM   #378
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 885

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
Then don't miss the train.

Also, the Framingham/Worcester Line is pretty busy at rush hour. I imagine the Lowell Line as well, and maybe the Providence Line, too.

What would be the benefit of electrification?
Seriously now? Don't miss the train?
I had a 12:40 doctor's appointment so I took the 11:15 train to South Station.
I got off at Ruggles about 25 minutes later so I had about an hour to kill before the appointment. Doctor was running late so I had to wait until 12:55. I was out like 20 minutes later, running through snowy sidewalks, against the Nor'easter to catch the 1:30 train back home. I was a few minutes late and of course I missed the train. The next train was 3:30 or something so I had to freeze, waiting for 2 hours and finally I arrived at home 4:15.
So for a 20' appointment and about an hour travel time, I had 3 hours and 40 minutes with absolutely nothing to do while anywhere in Europe I would take the next train 15, 30 or 60 minutes later.
Tell me now, how couldn't I miss the train?
Old February 2nd, 2015, 11:47 PM   #379
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Whatever line you took was obviously not oriented towards off-peak service. The "anywhere in Europe" comment is obviously an exaggeration - would only apply to the larger metro areas. Instead of freezing, you could have boarded an Orange Line to Back Bay or to Downtown Crossing (and then Red Line to S Station) and waited in the comfort of a heated railway station. Even Ruggles probably has an insulated area.

The complaint one hears the most about MBTA is that the trains are running late. The trains running on time but the passengers are running late? Well, that could be anywhere.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 01:30 AM   #380
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Today in Boston

IMG_20150202_101445 by vivekk00, on Flickr

kyah117, Amrafel liked this post

Tags
boston, massdot, the t