daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 3rd, 2015, 05:48 AM   #381
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 885

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
Whatever line you took was obviously not oriented towards off-peak service. The "anywhere in Europe" comment is obviously an exaggeration - would only apply to the larger metro areas. Instead of freezing, you could have boarded an Orange Line to Back Bay or to Downtown Crossing (and then Red Line to S Station) and waited in the comfort of a heated railway station. Even Ruggles probably has an insulated area.

The complaint one hears the most about MBTA is that the trains are running late. The trains running on time but the passengers are running late? Well, that could be anywhere.
Yeah, that could be anywhere but you don't have to wait for so long. I don't exaggerate when I say "anywhere in Europe". There are trains from one country to another with such frequency, let alone suburban and commuter trains!
Greece is probably the less developed country in the EU. Take Patras Suburban Railway for example, with less than 300.000 population on the metro area and there's one train every one hour per destination. Same for Athens and Thessaloniki.
You don't wanna talk about Germany, France, The Netherlands etc.
Yeah, Bulgarian commuter trains are probably not that frequent, but do you really wanna compare Boston with Bulgaria?

Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2015, 06:31 AM   #382
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

Yes that kind of off-peak frequency isn't acceptable imo. There should never be 2-hour gaps in service in the middle of the day. Overnight maybe, but during the day service should never be any less than hourly and even that isn't really acceptable in a major city.

If there wasn't enough demand to warrant a train running any more often there should have been an express shuttle bus to act as a replacement.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2015, 06:10 PM   #383
zzibit

Likes (Received): 318

By far the most idiotic, archaic and frustrating system in the world.

Everyone in mbta should be immediately fired and the whole thing scrapped.

It took me 2.5 hours to move 9 miles/13 km this morning.

Orange, green and red lines shut down during rush hour. And this 'city' has the nerve to bid for the Olympics!??

Are you f**&* kidding me?!

Last edited by zzibit; February 3rd, 2015 at 06:21 PM.
zzibit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2015, 06:27 PM   #384
zzibit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovem View Post
Yeah, Bulgarian commuter trains are probably not that frequent, but do you really wanna compare Boston with Bulgaria?

Have you been to Bulgaria recently? Why are you comparing country to a city?
If anything Sofia's rail network is decades ahead of Boston's in every category.
I have used both recently and the difference is shocking so please don't comment when you don't know.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 07:31 PM   #385
ovem
Commieblocks fan

I've been to Sofia 3 times, last time 2009, didn't get the chance to use trains there, except for few intercity trips and you're right, I don't know much about Bulgarian railways.
I'm pretty sure Sofia's rail network is much better than almost anywhere in the United States, when it comes to passenger transportation, coz it's Europe. These guys had electrified rail since the early 60s, I mean in Bulgaria.
Freight is a whole nother thing, no one can beat the USA.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 09:10 PM   #386
FabriFlorence

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Yeah, that could be anywhere but you don't have to wait for so long. I don't exaggerate when I say "anywhere in Europe". There are trains from one country to another with such frequency, let alone suburban and commuter trains!
Greece is probably the less developed country in the EU. Take Patras Suburban Railway for example, with less than 300.000 population on the metro area and there's one train every one hour per destination. Same for Athens and Thessaloniki.
You don't wanna talk about Germany, France, The Netherlands etc.
In the majors german cities all commuter train lines have one train every 20-30 minutes during off-peak hours and every 10-15 minutes during peak hours. In some cities, like Berlin, subway, buses and also commuter train run 24 hours.
FabriFlorence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2015, 10:04 PM   #387
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3711

This is the US we are talking about. Even cities with good transit(which are few) pales in comparison to their international counterparts.

FabriFlorence liked this post
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 12:05 AM   #388
zzibit

It's beyond pathetic what's going on here. I honestly feel ripped off every time I buy a monthly pass, but still a better deal than $300 parking downtown. I have been using public transport since 2009 and it has progressively gotten worse each year. With a growing metro population of 4+ million people and the city being filled in, something has to change soon. I have ridden public transport worldwide and it is astounding how primitive it is here.
Old February 4th, 2015, 12:54 AM   #389
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5767

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzibit View Post
It's beyond pathetic what's going on here. I honestly feel ripped off every time I buy a monthly pass, but still a better deal than $300 parking downtown. I have been using public transport since 2009 and it has progressively gotten worse each year. With a growing metro population of 4+ million people and the city being filled in, something has to change soon. I have ridden public transport worldwide and it is astounding how primitive it is here.
The MBTA is currently in the middle of an unprecedented crisis that has rendered the region's transport system unusable. This is partially due to weather and partially due to neglect. That said, the Framingham-Worcester Line, which is the one I am most familiar with, seems to have improved in the last decade as it transitioned from freight ownership to a passenger-dedicated route.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 03:35 AM   #390
ovem
Commieblocks fan

The real problem with public transportation in the United States is that the way US cites are made, suburbs are not as dense as the suburbs in Europe and most of the population commutes with cars.
Old February 4th, 2015, 11:57 AM   #391
nanar
nanar

Likes (Received): 1527

Not only problem of suburbs, I think.
Another reason is that US freeways go quite into the "city centers" - but have destroyed these city center in less than half century, except few towns.
and drivers can find lot of multi storey car parks in these centers.

Studies for european cities show that the guarantee to find easily a place for parking near the job, or school, or commercial street fronts, has strong influence on the modal sharing between private cars or public transportation (and cycling).

For example, great cities of Switzerland (Zurich, Basle, Bern) have quite null car park facilities, parking along the sidewalk in the street where run streetcars is very often forbidden, and consequently the private car share is very low.

A+

Découvrez les sites darly.org & lyonmetro.org
"Si vous ne considérez pas le vélo urbain comme une partie de la solution aux problèmes de déplacement dans les villes, vous êtes une partie du problème".

FabriFlorence, Nouvellecosse liked this post

Last edited by nanar; February 4th, 2015 at 05:20 PM.
nanar está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 12:58 PM   #392
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Boston and New England in general are a 180 to the rest of the US in terms of being ultra-Auto Centric. Most New England Cities have a denser inner core and then lower density on the outskirts. Some Cities that were ruined are or have taken steps to reverse that and beef up transit like Boston , Fall River , Providence , Hartford , New Haven ,Portland... So making blanket statements on how auto centric Boston and its surrounding region is bit silly..
Visit the New Jersey Section

ryaboisse, diablo234 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 01:34 PM   #393
ryaboisse

Likes (Received): 92

Well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Boston and New England in general are a 180 to the rest of the US in terms of being ultra-Auto Centric. Most New England Cities have a denser inner core and then lower density on the outskirts. Some Cities that were ruined are or have taken steps to reverse that and beef up transit like Boston , Fall River , Providence , Hartford , New Haven ,Portland... So making blanket statements on how auto centric Boston and its surrounding region is bit silly..
I guess one BRT line is a step forward. I just wished we did a little more.
ryaboisse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 08:12 PM   #394
LtBk

Quote:
The real problem with public transportation in the United States is that the way US cites are made, suburbs are not as dense as the suburbs in Europe and most of the population commutes with cars.
I say it's lack of investment in proper mass transit systems, poor urban planning, and politics.
Old February 4th, 2015, 09:04 PM   #395
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

Also 50 or so years of systematic neglect. Has left transit agencies in a game of catch-us catch can.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 12:58 AM   #396
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Well, if we exclude NYC, Boston is probably the most European city (not only but mostly) transportation-wise but again, those who live or lived in Europe are now laughing at us. There's a huge gap between the two continents.
The only real competitor is NYC.
Old February 5th, 2015, 02:06 AM   #397
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10388

Quote:
Well, if we exclude NYC, Boston is probably the most European city (not only but mostly) transportation-wise but again, those who live or lived in Europe are now laughing at us. There's a huge gap between the two continents.
The only real competitor is NYC.
Washington feels a lot more European and has a more extensive transit-system. Transit-wise, Chicago is also far and above Boston. Then again, Chicago is 2x the size so that might be a bit unfair as a comparison.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 05:26 AM   #398
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
Washington feels a lot more European and has a more extensive transit-system. Transit-wise, Chicago is also far and above Boston. Then again, Chicago is 2x the size so that might be a bit unfair as a comparison.
While I agree DC's Metro easily surpasses Boston's T Subway system, Boston does have a more extensive commuter rail system as opposed to DC which only has MARC and the VRE (and only one line, the MARC Penn Line runs on weekends), so I would not say DC surpasses Boston overall as far as transit is concerned.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 06:17 AM   #399
zzibit

The only reason MBTA still operates is because it is a government agency. If it was private, it would have been extinct decades ago. But since it is a taxpayer-funded and a monopoly, us locals are forced to put up with idiotic circumstances every day. God help us all.

By far the most hated transit system out there. Just ask anybody that has used it.
Old February 5th, 2015, 07:16 PM   #400
LtBk

Even the DC metro is starting to fall apart.

Tags
boston, massdot, the t