daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 4th, 2015, 09:42 AM   #461
Minato ku

Just one time and only in the central section (Park Street to Coplay Square). Note that France does not have old trams unlike some other european country.
Almost all the lines in France were built after the 1980's, the very few older lines have been heavily modernized.

Silver line and other buses.

Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2015, 10:49 AM   #462
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

How much of the Red and Orange line did you ride?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2015, 04:58 AM   #463
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Meet on the fly
by Ian Martin, on Flickr

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old August 11th, 2015, 05:03 AM   #464
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Some recent T photos from Peter Ehrlich

BOSTON--3706 lv Coolidge Corner OB
by Peter Ehrlich, on Flickr

BOSTON--3685 appr Boston College

BOSTON--3686 at North Station OB

BOSTON--Tilework at Arlington Station

BOSTON--3675 lv Allston Street OB
Old August 12th, 2015, 02:16 AM   #465
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old August 20th, 2015, 11:26 AM   #466
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1453

MBTA Cabot Yard, South Boston

Old August 26th, 2015, 05:41 AM   #467
Nexis
Dark Wolf

First Quarter 2015 Daily Ridership numbers for Boston

Source : http://www.apta.com/resources/statis...rship-APTA.pdf

Light Rail
Boston / Green Line & ASH-MATT - 191,500 (2015)

Bus Ridership
Boston / Trolley MBTA - 4,900 (2015)
Boston / MBTA Bus - 343,000 (2015)

Commuter Rail
Boston Suburbs / MBTA Commuter Rail - 103,400 (2015)

Ferries
Boston / MBTA - 3,100 (2015)

dimlys1994, mrsmartman liked this post
Old September 2nd, 2015, 06:58 PM   #468
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
CRRC USA to break ground in Massachusetts

On Sept. 3, 2015, CRRC USA Rail Corp. will break ground on a new, 220,000-square-foot facility in Springfield, Mass., where it will manufacture 284 railcars for the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority’s “T” system in Boston.

MBTA earlier in 2015 awarded a $566.6 million contract to CRRC to design and manufacture 152 new Orange Line vehicles and 132 new Red Line vehicles for Boston’s rail transit system. To assemble the railcars locally, CRRC purchased a 40-acre industrial parcel located on Page Boulevard in Springfield, a former Westinghouse manufacturing center that once also housed the Stevens-Duryea automobile plant.

CRRC’s new plant, which is scheduled to begin operations in 2016, will also have 2,240-linear-foot test track.
Read more here : http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/...tml?channel=62

dimlys1994, mrsmartman liked this post
Old September 4th, 2015, 11:46 PM   #469
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26160

More on Government Center station reconstruction:
http://www.mbta.com/riding_the_t/default.asp?id=26899

Old September 10th, 2015, 04:59 PM   #470
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Advocates, former govs urge Baker to take up Boston rail link
Quote:
By Lauren Dezenski 5:00 a.m. | Sep. 9, 2015

The finished tunnel, bored beneath the central artery running through the city’s core, could include between two and four rail lines and is estimated to cost anywhere between $2 billion and $8 billion dollars.
[.....]
“With the current building boom in Boston, if we don’t act now, it will be the death of rail unification,” Bellows said, noting key parcels of land necessary for the rail expansion are being carved up and developed, including the Cambridge’s North Point, Widett Circle in South Boston, and the Hook Lobster property in the Financial District.
Read More Here : http://www.capitalnewyork.com/articl...ston-rail-link

Old September 10th, 2015, 06:23 PM   #471
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5767

Boston has a shitload of transportation problems.

The fact that N Station and S Station don't connect is not even close to the top of the list.

These gadflies need to give it a rest and/or redirect their attention to actual practical solutions instead of science fiction.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2015, 07:19 PM   #472
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Connecting North and South Station would unlock vastly more transportation potential across all of eastern Massachusetts.

What exactly is more important than this project?

00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2015, 08:25 PM   #473
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Connecting North and South Station would unlock vastly more transportation potential across all of eastern Massachusetts.

What exactly is more important than this project?
Aside from upgrading and overhauling the entire T system , nothing else would be higher then it. But my trust in the T doing any right has waned over the years... So someone else should build it....
Old September 11th, 2015, 05:39 PM   #474
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

They could start by upgrading the Green Line B so it runs faster than walking speed.

zzibit, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old September 11th, 2015, 07:43 PM   #475
00Zy99

A) They are doing what they can.

B) There's only so much that CAN be done with a Victorian-era route. You would have to spend hundreds of millions (at least) and cause major disruption to bring it to modern standards. And at the end of the day, all that you've done is upgrade ONE (1) light rail line. The commuter tunnel would impact FAR more people either on an absolute basis, or per dollar.

Old September 12th, 2015, 12:54 AM   #476
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

They're doing nothing. Or rather, they have been doing nothing since 2004, when four stops were removed: Greycliff Road, Mount Hood Road, Summit Avenue and Fordham Road.

Traffic-signal priority, removal of redundant stops and off-board payments (at least for major stops like BU Central, Packard's Corner and Harvard Avenue) would not cost hundreds of millions and would go a long way towards speeding up the route.

Old September 12th, 2015, 04:58 AM   #477
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
They're doing nothing. Or rather, they have been doing nothing since 2004, when four stops were removed: Greycliff Road, Mount Hood Road, Summit Avenue and Fordham Road.

Traffic-signal priority, removal of redundant stops and off-board payments (at least for major stops like BU Central, Packard's Corner and Harvard Avenue) would not cost hundreds of millions and would go a long way towards speeding up the route.
I'm pretty sure I saw at least a few stop-consolidation programs listed on the MBTA website last time I looked a few months ago.

But yes, it does seem like they could do a little more.

But minor projects like this can't detract from the need for major projects, like the North-South Tunnel, or South Shore/Cape Cod commuter rail.

Old October 8th, 2015, 07:16 PM   #478
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Masslive
http://www.masslive.com/news/worcest...bta_annou.html

Quote:
New MBTA 'bullet trains' will get riders from Worcester to Boston in less than an hour

By Michael D. Kane | [email protected]
on October 07, 2015 at 12:58 PM

WORCESTER – Riding the rails from Worcester to Boston should take less time come May. Lt. Gov. Karyn Polito on Wednesday announced the addition of a non-stop bullet train and two additional express trains on the Worcester/Framingham line.

"This is a game changer," Polito said, referring to it as a quality of life issue. "For the first time ever, a non-stop train leaves Worcester and arrives in Boston in less than an hour.

"That means more time with family, more time with friends and more time enjoying the both of the cities that will be connected," she said.

The trains are set to start in May. Under the proposal, the "bullet" train will leave Worcester at 7:55 a.m. It reaches the Back Bay at 8:51. It will end its run in South Station at 8:57.

The Worcester-bound train leaves South Station at 7:40 p.m., leaves Back Bay at 7:46 and reaches Worcester by 8:42 p.m.

Two new express trains will be added. One is a new train, the other is a conversion of an existing, full-service train. Those trains will not stop after reaching Framingham, about 42 minutes into the trip. The overall trip will take about 75 minutes.

District 2 Councilor Philip Palmieri, a longtime proponent for faster rail times to Boston, called the new train service "a great first step."

In terms of economic development, the need for express trains is a "dire need," Palmieiri said.

"The fundamental issue of ... having trains go from Worcester to Boston in under an hour will probably do more for the economy than anything else that is going on," Palmieri said, noting it all begins with "critical mass."

The cost to live in Worcester is lower, almost by half, as it costs to live in Boston, Palmieri said. With a commute of less than one hour, some of those employees now debating where to buy a home may choose Worcester. That is the critical mass that will then draw businesses to serve those residents, which results in local jobs, he said.

City Manager Edward Augustus Jr. agreed, noting the bullet train and the additional express lines make it "that much easier to market Worcester" to people who work in Boston.

"It allows people to be more flexible with their time," Augustus said.

Ultimately Palmieri said he would like to see more express trains added to the Worcester Line.

"That's up to ridership, but I'm confident that the ridership here will far exceed expectations, because it always has exceeded expectation," Palmieri said.

That was something repeated by Polito and Robert Moylan Jr., the retired Commissioner of Worcester Department of Public Works and Parks, who now serves on the state Department of Transportation (MassDOT) board.

"The ball is now in our court," Moylan said, addressing Worcester and calling for increased ridership so that there is justification for increasing the service.

Polito echoed that sentiment, calling it a challenge for local officials and businesses to make use of those trains and to count their services into long term planning.

MBTA General Manager Frank DePaola said Worcester does have good ridership, with about 100 people boarding in Worcester on its current lines. That's about 10 percent of what reaches Boston, which is about 1,000 people, he said. The service announced today is looking to increase that number.

"We're hoping this is an opportunity for even more ridership," DePaola said. "We are hoping to attract even more people to get out from their cars. We can now beat the commute to Boston by car, with a train – assuming people follow the speed limit."
Old October 10th, 2015, 06:25 AM   #479
Nexis
Dark Wolf

MBTA Orange Line & NEC in Boston

Trains
by pravin pant, on Flickr

austrian, dimlys1994, lsg97, mrsmartman liked this post
Old October 12th, 2015, 02:50 AM   #480
Nexis
Dark Wolf

"Rush Hour in Boston" Trains & Express Way Timelaspe (10/9/15)

Tags
boston, massdot, the t