daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 6th, 2005, 01:39 AM   #41
Cloudship

Likes (Received): 97

I am afraid it's a clear as it is going to get.

The original plans for the harbor tunnel actually included transit, but that was cut back. Right now the airport relies on the Blue line for conneciton to the city - the station is not near the terminals (you have to take a shuttle bus to get to those), and on the other side it does not connect at all with the Red Line, which is essentially the main metro line through the city. The Silver Line has been used as a kind of placebo project to make up for moving the orange line west, as well as for not building a true transit system to the airport. The connecting tunnel between the two sections of the Silver Line are not seen by many as particularly important, since the main destination for a number of those people served by the lower Silver Line is Mass General and Gvoernment Center and other connections, NOT the airport.
Cloudship no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2005, 03:45 AM   #42
DarkFenX
A B C

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by glickel
^Yeah, the communter rail service in Boston is contracted out to a third party. That is some good trivia knowledge. Amtrak used to run it, but I think it got sold to a someone else. It could very well be Connex.
I believe that MBTA now fully owns the commuter rail.

BOSTON - CITY OF CHAMPIONS

NE Patriots 2001 - NE Patriots 2003 - NE Patriots 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2007 - Boston Celtics 2008 - Boston Bruins 2011 - Boston Red Sox 2013 - NE Patriots 2014
DarkFenX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 07:19 AM   #43
Frungy

Likes (Received): 10

I think there were plans to extend the Blue Line from Bowdoin to Charles/MGH, but I dunno what became of that. Another idea was to make a moving walkway between Park Street and Government Center, since it's not very far.

Everyone cabs to the airport anyway, it's so close to the city.
Frungy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 07:22 AM   #44
DonQui
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFenX
I believe that MBTA now fully owns the commuter rail.
The reason I think your right is that private companies like Connex brand their trains heavily, whereas the boston commuter rail only has MBTA livery.
DonQui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 03:16 AM   #45
mopc

Likes (Received): 11980

Great system, I myself like these old american trains, they have some charm, though the system could have used some updates, instead of that hugely overpriced "Big Dig" that only favours cars. How many people ride the Boston subway every day?
mopc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 12:09 AM   #46
Jayayess1190

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopc
Great system, I myself like these old american trains, they have some charm, though the system could have used some updates, instead of that hugely overpriced "Big Dig" that only favours cars. How many people ride the Boston subway every day?

Ridership

Approximately 792,600 one-way passenger trips per day are taken on the MBTA's subway, bus, BRT, commuter rail, water, contracted bus, and paratransit services. The ridership numbers below show the number of passengers boarding each of the lines on a typical weekday. Note that the total number of passengers boarding is greater than the total number of passenger trips, since many people transfer between lines to make a complete trip.

http://www.mbta.com/insidethet/taag_ridership.asp

Ridership by line / mode (FY04)
Daily Boardings

Red Line 210,500
Green Line 204,800
Orange Line 154,400
Blue Line 55,600
Silver Line Washington Street 14,100
Mattapan Trolley 7,800
MBTA Bus 356,400
MBTA Trackless trolleybus 11,900
Contracted bus 4,400
Commuter Rail 143,100
Water Transportation 4,700
The RIDE (paratransit) 5,300

Total passenger boardings: 1,173,000

Commuter Rail (FY04)

North Side Lines Daily Boarding
Rockport 7,800
Newburyport 10,800
Haverhill 10,900
Lowell 11,100
Fitchburg 9,000

South Side Lines Daily Boarding
Attleboro/Stoughton 28,100
Framingham/Worcester 18,800
Needham 9,200
Franklin 15,200
Fairmount 2,400
Middleborough/Lakeville 9,800
Plymouth/Kingston 10,000

Total Commuter Rail: 143,100
Old November 30th, 2005, 07:51 PM   #47
blink55184

Likes (Received): 3

I dont know if CONNEX is the same as a company called CSX- but i know that CSX owns the actual tracks that the commuter rail runs on and that go into south and north station..
AMTRAK trains running in have to give right of way to CSX and their freights, and often causes serious delays on AMTRAAK trains crossing Mass.
blink55184 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 09:23 PM   #48
mopc

Likes (Received): 11980

Thank you, Jayayess1190!
mopc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 09:33 PM   #49
Cloudship

Likes (Received): 97

CSX does not go beyond the Alston-Brighton yard near the tools. Most Amtrak trains go south through Providence and don't touch this stretch - it is only those that go through Worcester that use it.
Cloudship no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 09:54 PM   #50
blink55184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudship
CSX does not go beyond the Alston-Brighton yard near the tools. Most Amtrak trains go south through Providence and don't touch this stretch - it is only those that go through Worcester that use it.

yes, that makes sense.

I took an amtrak a month back, Boston=>Albany.
We had to sit just outside worcester for 65 minutes straight because the railwork had the road down to one track and a freighter had right of way
Old August 7th, 2006, 02:41 AM   #51
allen.zimmermann

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frungy
The Breda low-floor ones (the newest ones) kept derailing above ground... I dunno if they ever got fixed, or if they're allowed on all lines now. I think they used to only operate on the B Commonwealth Ave line.
as of summer 2006 does anyone know the status of bostons breda type 8 cars?? there have been attempts on and off over the past few years to place them in service. i was there in 2003 and saw them in non-revenue operation--still lots of problems.
allen.zimmermann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 02:47 AM   #52
bandie

Likes (Received): 0

I don't like it.
Old August 7th, 2006, 05:43 PM   #53
blink55184

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen.zimmermann
as of summer 2006 does anyone know the status of bostons breda type 8 cars?? there have been attempts on and off over the past few years to place them in service. i was there in 2003 and saw them in non-revenue operation--still lots of problems.
They are in much more use now. I believe the Breda's were repaired, it wasnt that major. For a while, they were derailing above ground over 45 mph. That is why they were limited to the B line, the slowest line. There arent really any points where that line can go fast. However, now the Breda's are in full time use on both the B and C lines, and next month service will be suspended on the E line from Brigham circle to Heath. They are doing trackwork and upon completion, Breda low floor cars will be running on the E line as well.
Old August 8th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #54
jamesinclair

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink55184
They are in much more use now. I believe the Breda's were repaired, it wasnt that major. For a while, they were derailing above ground over 45 mph. That is why they were limited to the B line, the slowest line. There arent really any points where that line can go fast. However, now the Breda's are in full time use on both the B and C lines, and next month service will be suspended on the E line from Brigham circle to Heath. They are doing trackwork and upon completion, Breda low floor cars will be running on the E line as well.
I believe the MBTA also has accepted the contract to finish delivery.

A recent lawsuit said that all green line trains had to have at least one low floor vehicle. B line has been running with them for a long time, and C-line is also doing it now with no problem. The D-line isnt quite finished (track repairs) so the old boeings still run on that at rush hour.

The cars cannot run on the street portion of the e line, so service is being cut again to brightam. The MBTA says the track to Heath will be upgraded. Lets see if that actually happens.

Also, Silver Line is now running their entire fleet of articulated, no more borrowed buses painted silver.
jamesinclair no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 06:24 AM   #55
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

MBTA to do major public information upgrade
10 November 2007

BOSTON (AP) - Waiting for MBTA trains won't be any more fun, but riders will soon at least know how long they'll be hanging out.

The T's board of directors has approved the purchase of a $2.4 million public information system that includes 256 public address screens.

The screens will be spread around 21 MBTA stations and broadcast waiting times for arriving trains.

The system will also feature updates on news, sports, weather and entertainment, as well as advertising to boost MBTA revenues.

A pilot radio program that carried similar news updates was recently suspended by the T after commuter complaints.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #56
milwaukee-københavn

Likes (Received): 5

I wonder why Boston insists on ordering trams that don't work. You'd think the MBTA would learn their lesson and order stock trams that are proven to work.
milwaukee-københavn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 10:01 PM   #57
Tcmetro

Likes (Received): 17

The Breda ones are terrible. And the Boeing's. They should have learned from Seattle and SF. Hopefully they get Skoda's, Kinkisharyo's, or Bombardiar next time.
Old December 27th, 2007, 05:29 AM   #58
DShoost88

Likes (Received): 885

I don't care how old the "T" is and how obsolete some of its trains are (especially on the green line)--I love the "T" and wish every other major city in the country could take a good look at Boston's transportation model and implement it in their communities. It's efficient, it takes people where they want to go or near where they want to go, and it's such an affordable alternative then owning a car.
DShoost88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #59
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

http://somervillenews.typepad.com/th...rain-coul.html

December 20, 2007
This train could change your life
Green Line expected to up real-estate values, further gentrification

By George P. Hassett

After almost two decades of stops and starts, the long awaited Green Line extension through Somerville is coming closer to becoming a reality. The project received its biggest boost to date this month when Governor Deval Patrick fully funded the $600 million venture in his transportation bill. In October he stood in Gilman Square and pledged his administration would meet, and try to beat, the 2014 deadline for the extension.

Now Somerville officials, activists and community groups are beginning to prepare for the train’s arrival and the substantial impact it is expected to have on the city.

The expected positive effects of the extension include significant improvements to the city’s economy and environment. However, even some supporters of the extension say the new train stops could further the gentrification seen in the west side of the city, price out longtime residents and transform the city’s diverse neighborhoods into havens for only the very wealthy.

Alderman-at-Large William A. White said the Green Line’s arrival in Somerville could expand the city’s gentrification beyond West Somerville and into other neighborhoods. In the neighborhoods surrounding the train stations – current proposals include Gilman Square, Lowell Street, Ball Square and Union Square — more multi-family homes will likely be converted to condominiums and longtime homeowners will take advantage of an increase in the value of their properties and sell out, he said.

Ward 6 Alderman Rebekah L. Gewirtz, chair of the city’s Housing and Community Development subcommittee, said more should have been done to prevent displacement in West Somerville before the Red Line arrived in 1984 and the city has an opportunity to avoid considerable displacement of longtime residents this time around.

“Affordable housing was overlooked when the Red Line came to Davis Square,” she said. “We have to treat [the Green Line extension] as a positive for the community but also address the need for affordable housing and make sure the city doesn’t become a place where only the very wealthy can afford to live. We don’t want to lose our diversity and we don’t want the people who helped build the city up into what it is today to be pushed out.”

Gewirtz said she supports a campaign launched by the Somerville Community Corporation (SCC) to increase the units set aside as affordable in new Union Square developments from 12.5 percent to 15 percent. The increase would only cut into developers profits by 1 percent, according to SCC.

Mayor Joseph A. Curtatone said he opposes SCC’s proposal for increased affordable housing requirements in new Union Square developments. “We want to create incentives for developers to come to Somerville,” he said.

Curtatone did increase affordable housing requirements for developers in one part of Union Square from 12.5 percent to 15 percent. He said more relief for affordable housing needs will come from the creation of new housing stock, some priced affordable and some market-rate, along the Green Line corridor. He said linkage fees from commercial development will also go toward the creation of new affordable units.

And, he said, there is plenty of time to work out the particulars.

“As we’re moving closer and closer to the reality of the Green Line coming to Somerville we have an opportunity to work with community members and organizations to plan this in an open, transparent way,” he said.

The support Patrick has given the project recently stands in sharp contrast to its history of delay and abandonment.

In 1973 the state first considered extending the Green Line’s route past Lechmere and into Somerville. The proposal languished and was never seriously taken up. In 1990, state officials promised Somerville residents they would complete a Green Line extension through the city and into Medford as a way to offset air pollution caused by the Big Dig. In 2005, the Conservation Law Foundation (CLF) sued the state because it had not taken the necessary steps to complete the project on time. In November 2006, CLF and the state settled and agreed on a binding commitment to complete the project by 2011. That commitment was then pushed back to 2014.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 03:42 AM   #60
DShoost88

Likes (Received): 885

That's awesome news! The more connectivity, the better! I'm guessing the route would be at grade, like it is when it ends at Lechmere, right?
DShoost88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
boston, massdot, the t