daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 10th, 2010, 04:44 AM   #81
geoking66

Likes (Received): 7337

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabriFlorence View Post
Very good network, may be the best in USA.
New York City? DC? Boston may have a very good public transport system for the US, but in comparison to some others it just can't keep up.

Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2010, 05:15 AM   #82
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3711

The only US cities than can compete with Boston in terms of good mass transit is NYC, Washington DC, and Chicago. In the future, LA will compete too.

Last edited by LtBk; August 10th, 2010 at 07:02 AM.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 04:45 PM   #83
Dan78

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
New York City? DC? Boston may have a very good public transport system for the US, but in comparison to some others it just can't keep up.
IMHO, D.C.'s Metrorail is a shade better than Boston's heavy-rail "T" service, but Boston has far better commuter rail service, which counts for a lot for the city's residents (less so for visitors). D.C.'s commuter rail service is fairly poor.
Dan78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 04:37 AM   #84
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10408

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinB View Post
Good thread! You should add pictures of the Silver Line. It is unique amongst Bus Rapid Transit since it actually has grade seperated portions underground, and utilizes dual mode buses.
Silver Line is an interesting BRT line for sure, but the transition from overhead electric in their underground sections and diesel overground seems unnecessary. Waiting for that adds many minutes to the trip. A light rail line should have been a better choice. However, the Silver Line is the most direct way to get from South Station to Boston Logan. The subway does not directly get to the airport, you need to take a shuttle to get to it.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #85
TheKorean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan78 View Post
IMHO, D.C.'s Metrorail is a shade better than Boston's heavy-rail "T" service, but Boston has far better commuter rail service, which counts for a lot for the city's residents (less so for visitors). D.C.'s commuter rail service is fairly poor.
MARC has superior equipments though. tried riding MBTA, very slow.
TheKorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2010, 04:00 AM   #86
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Boston subway map

taken by me in June at Logan airport

big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 06:11 AM   #87
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

I was just looking at www.railpictures.net and saw an interesting photo.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...34660&nseq=246

Neat pic and interesting caption!

Luke

WillR liked this post
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 10:57 PM   #88
Mirage52

Likes (Received): 168

I visited Boston in 2005, just a shade before I was really comfortable navigating cities using public transit, and I walked to a silver line stop expecting it to be a subway station. When I found it was a bus transit line, I decided not to use it. That was before I got away from my "bus is bad" mentality, something that is pretty hard to break here in Baltimore, where people unfortunately label taking the bus as something poor people only do.
Mirage52 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 06:05 AM   #89
exxebrazil
architecture student

Likes (Received): 15

is there any train that goes to gilette stadium?
exxebrazil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 06:08 AM   #90
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Quote:
Originally Posted by exxebrazil View Post
is there any train that goes to gilette stadium?
The MBTA Foxborough line operates only on Game days form what i know.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #91
geoking66

Likes (Received): 7337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan78 View Post
Metro also functions as a commuter rail system. Only the far outer suburbs such as Manassas, Germantown, and Bowie use VRE or MARC, but their population bases are low to begin with. However, more populated suburbs such as Rockville, Vienna, Springfield, New Carrollton, etc have Metro service. It's why the fares are so high (over $4 one way from parts of Northern Virginia to Downtown DC).
Old August 23rd, 2010, 12:54 AM   #92
palindrome

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKorean View Post
MARC has superior equipments though. tried riding MBTA, very slow.
MBTA has new locomotives and coaches on order.
palindrome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 05:28 AM   #93
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Boston's system is a lot older than D.C. Most of the Metro was built in the 1970s and 1980s where most of the T was built from the late 1890s through 1920. NYC's is a lot more expansive, which only makes sense given how much larger NYC is than Boston. Same goes for Chicago.

I think Boston has a great transit network with buses, commuter rail and light/heavy rail. If they could find a way to speed up the B,C and E line extensions on the Green Line, that would be a big help for those out in Allston, Brighton, Brookline, etc.

The Silver Line, or the Silver Lie as locals will call it, is a decent transit line. It would have been better to have a buried heavy rail line, but the cost was too high.

I think a lot of cities in the U.S. that are attempting to build solid transit lines, like Dallas, Houston, Denver, Minneapolis for example, could learn a lot from Boston's network. Those cities appear to be heading in the right direction, though none fo them have networks that compare to Boston, D.C., Chicago, etc. Then again my home area of South Florida hasn't either.
massp88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 04:23 AM   #94
bayviews

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post

I think Boston has a great transit network with buses, commuter rail and light/heavy rail. If they could find a way to speed up the B,C and E line extensions on the Green Line, that would be a big help for those out in Allston, Brighton, Brookline, etc.
Good update.

Are there any concrete plans to re-establish the Green Line surface streetcar out to Watertown?
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 03:04 PM   #95
mike7743

Likes (Received): 973

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabriFlorence View Post
Very good network, may be the best in USA.
are you kidding? it is one of the shittiest and ugliest systems/trains in the world. period. it's an embarassment for the first world city like Boston to have such an ugly train system like the MBTA. it's trains are ridiculously old (almost embarassingly) stations are laughable. besides the redline the rest are pretty much a joke.
mike7743 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #96
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7743 View Post
are you kidding? it is one of the shittiest and ugliest systems/trains in the world. period. it's an embarassment for the first world city like Boston to have such an ugly train system like the MBTA. it's trains are ridiculously old (almost embarassingly) stations are laughable. besides the redline the rest are pretty much a joke.
What are you talking about? The stations are very old and historic , the Trains are painted the color of the line. You mean the Regional Rail lines?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 02:44 AM   #97
Rail_Serbia

Likes (Received): 670

Boston light rail is the busiest light rail in USA and by now, using the same section with to much busy lines (in Boston 4 lines) push down speed and reliability, and make service worse. Pushing one more line in the same tunnel (like there is planned) will make the things worse, not better. My proposition is to make new tram tunnel, and new light rail corridor in downtown, outside of the transfer rectangle in downtown. Maybe, it would be good to make some overground sections in downtown.

Other thing is fact that south and north railway station aren't connected with direct rapid link. My proposition is downtown tunnel, between south and north parts of the network, like in a lot of cities in Europe. With only 3-5 km of tunnels you can make rapid lines for one side to the other side of metropolitan. Second benefit is that there is direct link with more places in downtown. I think that tunnel like this may triple ridership of Boston commuter rail.
Rail_Serbia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 03:16 AM   #98
bayviews

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail_Serbia View Post

Other thing is fact that south and north railway station aren't connected with direct rapid link. My proposition is downtown tunnel, between south and north parts of the network, like in a lot of cities in Europe. With only 3-5 km of tunnels you can make rapid lines for one side to the other side of metropolitan. Second benefit is that there is direct link with more places in downtown. I think that tunnel like this may triple ridership of Boston commuter rail.
For all the progress in Boston, it's indeed a bit remarkable that the Big Dig, $13 billion or so, came & went, leaving Boston without a north-side commuter rail connection.
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 05:34 AM   #99
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

Perhaps the future Urban Ring in Boston could provide a North-South link as part of its route.

And in a perfect world, where the T isn't 87 billion dollars in debt, this would be another subway line.
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #100
Quente
Al-l-,

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
I live in Providence but have been going to grad school in Boston for the past two years (graduating this December!). During this time, I lived during the week in Cambridge and then Jamaica Plain, spending weekends with my family.

Three points I'd like to make about the Boston system:
  1. Completely agree with you about the Green Line. I'd take the Red Line at Central Square in Cambridge, and then connect to the Green Line, E Branch at Park Station, to get off at Longwood Medical Center. Travel time: about 45 minutes. After classes, I'd walk (briskly) the 3.3-mile route back to my apartment in Cambridge to get some exercise. Travel time: about 50-55 minutes! Between the signage and configuration of the station, Park Station is a confusing place to connect from the Red to Green Line. Overall, I'd say the T is just OK - the rolling stock is noisy and old (in the bad sense not in the Line A, Buenos Aires sense).
  2. Commuter Lines are really wonderful; lots of trains between Boston and Providence which makes it a very convenient commute. Depending on the train, I can usually get off at Ruggles station which is a mere 10-minute walk from my school. Otherwise, I can get off at Back Bay Station and walk about 20 minutes. I also appreciate the free WiFi on the commuter train which lets me check e-mail and the integration with several T stations - very helpful. Terrific, comprehensive system.
  3. After moving to JP, I'd take the bus to school. Depending on the time of day, it usually took 20 minutes. I can only speak to this line, but I found the bus stops were way too close (seemed to be constantly stopping!), and overly noisy. That said, it was generally good basic transportation.
I'd say the system overall is good - not great - with the commuter rail being the standout element. My two cents.
Quente no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
boston, massdot, the t