daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 30th, 2010, 03:41 AM   #101
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7743 View Post
are you kidding? it is one of the shittiest and ugliest systems/trains in the world. period. it's an embarassment for the first world city like Boston to have such an ugly train system like the MBTA. it's trains are ridiculously old (almost embarassingly) stations are laughable. besides the redline the rest are pretty much a joke.
What are you talking about? The Blue just got a brand new fleet of cars. More than half the red line cars are no more than 10 years old. The orange line is going to get a brand new fleet and half the green line has new cars. Yes there are some rough stations, but look at any transit network in North America and there are some rough stations. I would say 90% of the green, red, orange and blue line stations are in good to great shape.

Have you ever spent a decent amount of time traveling on various lines of the MBTA?
massp88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2010, 03:45 AM   #102
palindrome

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
What are you talking about? The Blue just got a brand new fleet of cars. More than half the red line cars are no more than 10 years old. The orange line is going to get a brand new fleet and half the green line has new cars. Yes there are some rough stations, but look at any transit network in North America and there are some rough stations. I would say 90% of the green, red, orange and blue line stations are in good to great shape.

Have you ever spent a decent amount of time traveling on various lines of the MBTA?

Not to mention, the entire green line is getting new stations as we speak.
palindrome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 03:47 AM   #103
massp88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quente View Post
I live in Providence but have been going to grad school in Boston for the past two years (graduating this December!). During this time, I lived during the week in Cambridge and then Jamaica Plain, spending weekends with my family.

Three points I'd like to make about the Boston system:
  1. Completely agree with you about the Green Line. I'd take the Red Line at Central Square in Cambridge, and then connect to the Green Line, E Branch at Park Station, to get off at Longwood Medical Center. Travel time: about 45 minutes. After classes, I'd walk (briskly) the 3.3-mile route back to my apartment in Cambridge to get some exercise. Travel time: about 50-55 minutes! Between the signage and configuration of the station, Park Station is a confusing place to connect from the Red to Green Line. Overall, I'd say the T is just OK - the rolling stock is noisy and old (in the bad sense not in the Line A, Buenos Aires sense).
  2. Commuter Lines are really wonderful; lots of trains between Boston and Providence which makes it a very convenient commute. Depending on the train, I can usually get off at Ruggles station which is a mere 10-minute walk from my school. Otherwise, I can get off at Back Bay Station and walk about 20 minutes. I also appreciate the free WiFi on the commuter train which lets me check e-mail and the integration with several T stations - very helpful. Terrific, comprehensive system.
  3. After moving to JP, I'd take the bus to school. Depending on the time of day, it usually took 20 minutes. I can only speak to this line, but I found the bus stops were way too close (seemed to be constantly stopping!), and overly noisy. That said, it was generally good basic transportation.
I'd say the system overall is good - not great - with the commuter rail being the standout element. My two cents.
I think it all depends on the bus route. Some routes can be quite annoying in terms of stops being so close, the #57 and #66 are prime examples. But they also do run express routes which skip stops and make things faster.

One of the better moves the MBTA made in the last decade was to eliminate some stops on the B line.

The free wifi on the commuter rail is really nice.
Old August 30th, 2010, 03:51 AM   #104
massp88

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
Not to mention, the entire green line is getting new stations as we speak.
Exactly. Arlington looks great and so doesn't Kenmore. When Copley is finally done, I am sure it will look good too. Haymarket and North Station are both great looking stations as well. Burying the old elevated green line on Causeway street was a good move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayviews View Post
For all the progress in Boston, it's indeed a bit remarkable that the Big Dig, $13 billion or so, came & went, leaving Boston without a north-side commuter rail connection.
http://www.sierraclubmass.org/issues...nsrl/nsrl.html

There are some that are pushing for a link. I think it would make sense.
Old September 6th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #105
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Here are the Station Diagrams for the Planned Green line extension to Medford. I know there a little big.

The New Lechmere Station

Brickbottom Station

Gilman Square

Lowell Street

Ball Square

College Avenue

Terminus @ Mystic Valley Parkway / Route 16

The Spur to Union Square

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #106
Dan78

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
[B][COLOR="DarkGreen"]Here are the Station Diagrams for the Planned Green line extension to Medford. I know there a little big.
Interesting diagrams, Nexis. It's nice they're building LRT towards Medford, though I wonder if extending the Blue Line from Bowdoin/Charles Station toward that way might have been a better idea. The Green Line is kind of overstressed as it is.

I found this plan from 1945 for proposed "T" extensions

The map's more of a schematic and north is to the right of the map for some reason.

Looks like there was going to be a cross-Boston rapid transit tunnel running in the direction of Newton that would have relieved some of the pressure off of the Green Line. Pity most of this was never built. I'm guessing the suburbanization of America post WW2 was the nail in the coffin of any ambitious expansion plans in the Boston area. The Silver Line itself is a minor embarrassment.

Last edited by Dan78; September 6th, 2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: typo
Dan78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #107
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

I think it would still be interesting to make the Urban Ring into either a light rail or heavy rail line.
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 07:00 PM   #108
flapane

Likes (Received): 2150

I don't remember how and when I got it (it was definitely free), but I can't understand what is its purpose... is it just a facsimile Charlie Card?
That "MAY BE CONFISCATED FOR MISUE" makes me think that it has some purpose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7743 View Post
are you kidding? it is one of the shittiest and ugliest systems/trains in the world. period. it's an embarassment for the first world city like Boston to have such an ugly train system like the MBTA. it's trains are ridiculously old (almost embarassingly) stations are laughable. besides the redline the rest are pretty much a joke.
Is it a joke?

Last edited by flapane; September 18th, 2010 at 07:07 PM.
flapane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 08:53 PM   #109
IrishMan2010
Liberal Minded

Likes (Received): 22

Looks like a good system.
IrishMan2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 09:53 PM   #110
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6895

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapane View Post
I don't remember how and when I got it (it was definitely free), but I can't understand what is its purpose... is it just a facsimile Charlie Card?
That "MAY BE CONFISCATED FOR MISUE" makes me think that it has some purpose...

Is it a joke?
Charlie Cards themselves are free, but they have no value (they give them out occasionally in stations or you could ask for one in most convenience stores); you need to load money on it at a kiosk in order to pay the fare
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 09:54 PM   #111
flapane

Yes, but it doesn't seem a Charlie card to me: It is rigid and lacks the magnetic stripe band or a chip. No way you can recharge or use it, imho. It's different form any Charlie card I've ever seen.
Old September 18th, 2010, 10:00 PM   #112
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

You recharge it by waving it near a kiosk and pay fare by waving it at the fare gate, it's a contactless smart card. A CharlieTicket is different, it's a single-use ticket which has a magnetic stripe, I think that's what you're talking about

This is the single-use ticket:

Old September 18th, 2010, 10:02 PM   #113
flapane

Oh, I tought it was the same, that's why I've never seen such card
Thanks for the info.
Old September 19th, 2010, 12:02 AM   #114
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

Are Green Line cars considered to be smaller or larger than a standard US light rail vehicle?
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 03:11 AM   #115
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

they seem shorter but wider imo
Old September 19th, 2010, 03:51 AM   #116
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
Are Green Line cars considered to be smaller or larger than a standard US light rail vehicle?
They are shorter than most, but similar in width. The following is a drawing of the Bredas. The length is 74 feet and the width is 8.7 feet.

For comparison, the following is a Siemens S70 as used in San Diego. The length is 90.7 feet and the width is 8.7 feet.

greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #117
flapane

Is it a Breda car? It was somehow familiar...

Any particular reason why MBTA didn't choose heavy rail wagons on the Green Line such as on the Red an Blue lines? Because of tram-like surface stations?
Old September 20th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #118
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Yes, it's Breda. It was because the Green Line was originally streetcars, then upgraded to light rail, there's not enough money/political will/too many NIMBYs to change it to heavy rail now
Old September 20th, 2010, 03:34 PM   #119
Dan78

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapane View Post
Is it a Breda car? It was somehow familiar...

Any particular reason why MBTA didn't choose heavy rail wagons on the Green Line such as on the Red an Blue lines? Because of tram-like surface stations?
Yes, that's pretty much the reason. The Green Line runs through streets in Boston itself and the suburbs; only part of the downtown section is in a tunnel. Heavy rail would require separate right-of-way due to the third-rail power supply (or pantograph conversion) and the higher speeds involved. Also, the Green Line tunnel and stations would have to be completely reconstructed to provide heavy-rail service.

Boston used to have a much more extensive streetcar (tram) network. The modern day Green Line is the remnant of this. There was also an elevated line (that later evolved into the Orange Line) and a waterfront segment that wrapped around the east part of downtown Boston.

The Green Line predates the heavy rail lines. The Blue Line started off as a streetcar (light rail) line like the Green Line, but was converted to heavy rail in 1925. The Orange Line and Red Line started off as heavy rail.

One idea to provide better East-West service through downtown Boston would be to extend the Blue Line from Bowdoin through Charles Center station and through a new tunnel under Beacon Street, connecting with the existing line at Kenmore and heading West from there. I have a map that was created showing this, if I find it I'll post it soon.
Dan78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #120
flapane

Yes, Beacon Hill and Back Bay definitely need a couple of stations.
Starting from Bowdoin, another idea would be creating a NE branch of the Blue line, because North End and the USS Constitution/Bunker Hill area aren't connected really well.
The bus driver almost laughed at me when I told him I had to get to Hynes Convention Center: "you'd better get a cab".

Tags
boston, massdot, the t