daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 21st, 2010, 05:56 AM   #121
Dan78

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapane View Post
Yes, Beacon Hill and Back Bay definitely need a couple of stations.
Starting from Bowdoin, another idea would be creating a NE branch of the Blue line, because North End and the USS Constitution/Bunker Hill area aren't connected really well.
The bus driver almost laughed at me when I told him I had to get to Hynes Convention Center: "you'd better get a cab".
Here's the map I was speaking of:

Map by Radical Cartography
image hosted on flickr

I think of all the Boston "fantasy" proposals it's one of the best. The file's available as a pdf on the site above.

Presumably, the Purple and Brown Lines shown would be light rail like the current Green Line, and the Yellow Line could be either heavy or light rail, but probably light rail. The extension of the Blue Line east to Lynn hasn't been included on this map.

Last edited by Dan78; September 21st, 2010 at 02:28 PM. Reason: typo
Dan78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2010, 02:50 PM   #122
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 258

DP
Old September 21st, 2010, 02:53 PM   #123
tampasteve

How come the Red Line to Braintree and the Red Line to Mattapan are not separate lines/colors? On most systems I have seen those would be designated different lines given the amount of stations on each branch and since the extension apparently uses street cars rather than HR rolling stock.

Steve
Old September 21st, 2010, 04:02 PM   #124
Dan78

Likes (Received): 55

The Mattapan line was an old steam railway that was converted to trolley service in the late 1920's. It was nearly made a regular part of the heavy rail Red Line from downtown Boston, but the cost of grade-separating the line was considered too high, so it was left intact as a trolley (tram) line (as it stands today it only has two at-grade crossings).

As to why it's the same color, I'm not sure. I'm guessing to impress on people that the two lines form one route even if it's a multi-modal route.

I wonder if it'd be worth it to do a full conversion of this section to heavy rail. The would mean less different types of rolling stock to maintain, so there could be cost savings involved in the long run. It'd also be more convenient for the riders.

There's more discussion about possibilities for the future of the MBTA here:

http://futurembta.com/
Dan78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 06:52 PM   #125
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan78 View Post
Here's the map I was speaking of:

Map by Radical Cartography
image hosted on flickr

I think of all the Boston "fantasy" proposals it's one of the best. The file's available as a pdf on the site above.

Presumably, the Purple and Brown Lines shown would be light rail like the current Green Line, and the Yellow Line could be either heavy or light rail, but probably light rail. The extension of the Blue Line east to Lynn hasn't been included on this map.
So essentially, the brown and purple lines are derived from the two smaller branches of the green line?

This map also does not seem to show any direct connection between North and South stations.

Quote:
I wonder if it'd be worth it to do a full conversion of this section to heavy rail. The would mean less different types of rolling stock to maintain, so there could be cost savings involved in the long run. It'd also be more convenient for the riders.
That could be a good idea. Two alternative ideas would be to make the Ashmont-Mattapan railway part of the Green Line or a part of a future Dorchester-South Boston streetcar network.

Also, does a Red Line extension to Burlington or Lexington make sense these days?
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 10:55 PM   #126
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6896

The only probable expansions in the medium-term future are Green line extension to West Medford, Blue line extension to Lynn, and commuter rail to Fall River and New Bedford. They are renovating all the Green line underground stations though (there's around 7 or 8 I think)

Red Line extension to Lexington was proposed when the extension to Alewife was originally planned, the NIMBYs blocked it though
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:38 AM   #127
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaricManchurian View Post
Charlie Cards themselves are free, but they have no value (they give them out occasionally in stations or you could ask for one in most convenience stores); you need to load money on it at a kiosk in order to pay the fare
Charlie cards were one of the smartest moves the MBTA has ever made. One card can be used to pay for a fare on a bus, subway, commuter rail, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampasteve View Post
How come the Red Line to Braintree and the Red Line to Mattapan are not separate lines/colors? On most systems I have seen those would be designated different lines given the amount of stations on each branch and since the extension apparently uses street cars rather than HR rolling stock.

Steve

There really isn't a need to have a different color on the Braintree and Ashmont lines. The trains have signs that specify which one it is and there are also announcements in the stations as to what train is arriving.
massp88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:57 AM   #128
TheKorean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

How do you pay for commuter rail with CharlieCard?
TheKorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 06:23 AM   #129
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKorean View Post
How do you pay for commuter rail with CharlieCard?
According to MBTA's website, using the Charlie Card on any commuter rail line is still in the planning stages.

For now, you can only use Charlie Tickets.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 02:45 PM   #130
tampasteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
There really isn't a need to have a different color on the Braintree and Ashmont lines. The trains have signs that specify which one it is and there are also announcements in the stations as to what train is arriving.
That makes sense, but even in your response you refer to them as different lines("the Braintree and Ashmont lines"), which indeed they really are. It seems that in most other systems one has separate lines for separate termination points. From an outsiders perspective it just makes more sense and makes it easier to navigate. But if it works for you than that is cool!

Think of it like the Red and Yellow lines in Atlanta or to a lesser extent the Red and Purple lines in LA.

Steve
Old September 22nd, 2010, 08:47 PM   #131
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
According to MBTA's website, using the Charlie Card on any commuter rail line is still in the planning stages.

For now, you can only use Charlie Tickets.
What I should have said is that the Charlie Card system, whether it be the card or ticket, allows you to pay fares on all modes. The tickets for commuter rail will have a zone number on it for a monthly commuter rail pass and you can use it for unlimited travel on the subway and local bus as well.
massp88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 06:10 AM   #132
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
What I should have said is that the Charlie Card system, whether it be the card or ticket, allows you to pay fares on all modes. The tickets for commuter rail will have a zone number on it for a monthly commuter rail pass and you can use it for unlimited travel on the subway and local bus as well.
It's a nice system, as the transition between commuter rail and rapid transit are pretty seamless.

Also, is there any place along the Silver Line where dedicated bus lanes, separated from traffic, can be constructed?
Old September 23rd, 2010, 03:01 PM   #133
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
It's a nice system, as the transition between commuter rail and rapid transit are pretty seamless.

Also, is there any place along the Silver Line where dedicated bus lanes, separated from traffic, can be constructed?
They were planning to build a bus tunnel connecting the Chinatown/Roxbury and South Station sections of the Silver Line, though it's been delayed due to recession and NIMBYs. There's already a bus tunnel between South Station and the Ted Williams Tunnel, which counts as a "dedicated bus lane"
Old September 24th, 2010, 01:01 AM   #134
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Also I think there's a dedicated bus lane on Chinatown surface streets
Old October 3rd, 2010, 04:46 AM   #135
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

The following is some information on the Kinkisharyo trains used on the Green Line.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 05:49 AM   #136
bayviews

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaricManchurian View Post
They were planning to build a bus tunnel connecting the Chinatown/Roxbury and South Station sections of the Silver Line, though it's been delayed due to recession and NIMBYs. There's already a bus tunnel between South Station and the Ted Williams Tunnel, which counts as a "dedicated bus lane"
Thats just as well, another bus tunnel would have been a waist of many hundreds of millions of $$$.

Seems a more practical & economical approach would be extend the silver line on the surface as a trolley bus rapid transit.
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #137
flapane

Likes (Received): 2150

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_christine View Post
The following is some information on the Kinkisharyo trains used on the Green Line.
And here's a freshly uploaded video of the inside (sry for the low quality): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMx0WVk_naU
Old October 5th, 2010, 06:32 AM   #138
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayviews View Post
Thats just as well, another bus tunnel would have been a waist of many hundreds of millions of $$$.

Seems a more practical & economical approach would be extend the silver line on the surface as a trolley bus rapid transit.
MBTA seems to be allergic to anything that is "practical and economical".

Update: we can has North-South rail link?

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...orcester_link/

Last edited by manrush; October 5th, 2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 05:25 AM   #139
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

My Recently taken MBTA videos , more to come.

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 09:24 AM   #140
TheKorean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayviews View Post

Why waste money building tunnel for freaking buses? Just run it on the road, slower but cheaper.

If you are gonna build underground make it a real subway, not buses. sheesh.
TheKorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
boston, massdot, the t