daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 26th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #141
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

My Boston Transit video...

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:19 PM   #142
sidney_jec
Complex Equation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKorean View Post
MARC has superior equipments though. tried riding MBTA, very slow.
the green line is the only exception as for some part it shared the road space with other vehicles.
apart from that even Green line is fast enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exxebrazil View Post
is there any train that goes to gilette stadium?
no T goes there.
Commuter rail I don't know

PS: Lord Murugan never deleted signatures. Never
sidney_jec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:27 PM   #143
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney_jec View Post
the green line is the only exception as for some part it shared the road space with other vehicles.

no T goes there.
Commuter rail I don't know
The T is the commuter rail...
Old January 27th, 2011, 07:52 AM   #144
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5779

Gillette Stadium has gameday service from Providence on Pro-Stou Line and from South Sta on Franklin Line.

there are "plans" to have actual commuter service to Fxbro
http://www.mbta.com/about_the_mbta/t...t.asp?id=20111

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney_jec View Post
Green Line is slow both above and below ground. It's especially slow between Govt Center and Copley due to trains bunching up and 19th-century signaling technology. Might be slower below ground than in the notoriously slow Kenmore-Packards Cor B line stretch on Com Ave. The Green Line is an embarrassment for the MBTA and indeed, for all of US public transit. No one can really argue with that.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 03:37 AM   #145
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
Gillette Stadium has gameday service from Providence on Pro-Stou Line and from South Sta on Franklin Line.

there are "plans" to have actual commuter service to Fxbro
http://www.mbta.com/about_the_mbta/t...t.asp?id=20111

Green Line is slow both above and below ground. It's especially slow between Govt Center and Copley due to trains bunching up and 19th-century signaling technology. Might be slower below ground than in the notoriously slow Kenmore-Packards Cor B line stretch on Com Ave. The Green Line is an embarrassment for the MBTA and indeed, for all of US public transit. No one can really argue with that.
The D line is not bad at all. That's due to it not traveling along a road and having to deal with traffic and lights.

The B line is easily the worst, thanks to the number of stops and Comm Ave has a ton of lights.

Brookline is proposing a re-timing of signals to allow trolleys along Beacon St. to move faster. As it is now, the C can be hit or miss in terms of speed going into Kenmore.
massp88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 03:53 AM   #146
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

problems east of Kenmore cause problems for B, C and D trains.

The D train has problems every time it rains and there's some wind - trees fall on the tracks or the wires, especially btw Reservoir and Riverside.

Bunching is a problem all over the Green Line.

Ear-splitting squeaks at Boylston and btw N Sta and Sci Pk.

The whole network is a laughingstock
Old January 28th, 2011, 08:37 AM   #147
FDW

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
problems east of Kenmore cause problems for B, C and D trains.

The D train has problems every time it rains and there's some wind - trees fall on the tracks or the wires, especially btw Reservoir and Riverside.

Bunching is a problem all over the Green Line.

Ear-splitting squeaks at Boylston and btw N Sta and Sci Pk.

The whole network is a laughingstock
Even so, Philadelphia's Transit system is far worse than anything Boston can put up.
FDW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 09:15 AM   #148
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
Even so, Philadelphia's Transit system is far worse than anything Boston can put up.
Indeed , there also expanding theres tenfold....funding is the only issue with there system. But Light Rail and streetcars seem to have a bright future in Philly.... Boston seems to have a bus fetish....
Old January 28th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #149
flapane

Likes (Received): 2150

Philly should build at least a couple of subway lines (so that SE, SW, NW downtown areas are better connected), and increase the number of buses. IMHO their transit system is really undeveloped compared to Boston or DC, apart the Green Line.
Two heavy rail lines that cross the two main streets aren't enough for such a big city.
Old January 28th, 2011, 08:39 PM   #150
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapane View Post
Philly should build at least a couple of subway lines (so that SE, SW, NW downtown areas are better connected), and increase the number of buses. IMHO their transit system is really undeveloped compared to Boston or DC, apart the Green Line.
Two heavy rail lines that cross the two main streets aren't enough for such a big city.
They have a massive streetcar network that is waiting to be restored , buses currently cover it....but the city and business owners want the streetcars back.
Old February 8th, 2011, 02:28 AM   #151
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Text from MassDOT flickr account

Quote:
image hosted on flickr

Copyright All rights reserved by MassDOT

MBTA New Locomotive, Boston South Station, February 7, 2011

MBTA today debuted a new diesel-electric locomotive on its inaugural ride from Worcester to Boston. The state-of-the-art diesel-electric locomotive is one of two trains purchased from the Utah Transit Authority, and marks the first time in more than two decades that new locomotives will join the MBTA’s commuter rail fleet.

MBTA New Locomotives 1 January 2011
By employing new technology that makes the engines more fuel efficient and prevents unnecessary idling, the new locomotives will reduce nitrogen oxide levels by 20 tons per engine annually. Each locomotive in the existing fleet burns 228,000 gallons of fuel per year, resulting in the release of 241 tons of nitrogen oxide. These new locomotives will burn about 36,500 fewer gallons while generating more horsepower. The energy savings will be about $78,000 a year per locomotive.

In June 2010, the MassDOT Board of Directors approved the purchase of an additional 20 new diesel-electric locomotives from Motive Power, Inc. of Boise, Idaho at a cost of $114 million. The 20 new locomotives will be brought into service in 2013 to replace the 20 oldest units in the fleet.

The MBTA commuter rail fleet operates under a contract with the Massachusetts Bay Commuter Railroad Company. The fleet consists of 410 coaches including 140 bi-level and 270 single coaches, and 80 locomotives. The fleet ranges in age from seven to 29 years. Commuter rail service carries approximately 148,000 customers round-trip each weekday.
photos from governor's flickr account:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/massgovernor/5425618134/
image hosted on flickr

Monday, February 7, 2011 -- Lieutenant Governor Murray holds a press conference to highlight the new commuter rail locomotive.

photo from MassDOT:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/massdot...n/photostream/
image hosted on flickr

MBTA- Lt. Governor Murray Inspects New Locomotive, Boston South Station, February 7, 2011
(Lt. Governor Timothy Murray inspects one of MBTA's new diesel-electric locomotives after riding the commuter rail to Boston South Station from Worcester)

another pic from MBTA

Last edited by Woonsocket54; February 8th, 2011 at 02:38 AM.
Old February 8th, 2011, 05:49 AM   #152
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
They have a massive streetcar network that is waiting to be restored , buses currently cover it....but the city and business owners want the streetcars back.
If only such sentiments existed in Boston. But we do get a shiny new bus tunnel.
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 03:42 PM   #153
Dan78

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
If only such sentiments existed in Boston. But we do get a shiny new bus tunnel.
Ah...someday people will look back and wonder why the world's wealthiest country decided to buy some old diesel buses while the rest of the world was investing in subways, light rail, and commuter rail.

I have a question about the Silver Line bus tunnel...could it be converted to Light Rail someday, or did the designers make sure this could never occur?

It's also funny to me that Boston could shell out all that money for the big dig but not one cent for a short connector tunnel between North and South Stations.

Quote:
And yet, how many American cities would be thrilled to have two heavy rail lines? Yonah Freemark had a good article about expanding Philadelphia's network a few years ago: Transit for a Future Philadelphia.
Dan78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #154
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan78 View Post
Ah...someday people will look back and wonder why the world's wealthiest country decided to buy some old diesel buses while the rest of the world was investing in subways, light rail, and commuter rail.

I have a question about the Silver Line bus tunnel...could it be converted to Light Rail someday, or did the designers make sure this could never occur?

It's also funny to me that Boston could shell out all that money for the big dig but not one cent for a short connector tunnel between North and South Stations.

And yet, how many American cities would be thrilled to have two heavy rail lines? Yonah Freemark had a good article about expanding Philadelphia's network a few years ago: Transit for a Future Philadelphia.
There Electric buses , and Boston has plans to expand the Green , Blue and add more stations on the orange line. There restoring the commuter Rail by 452 miles over the next 2 decades. That will cover all of Eastern Mass and link all the cities. There are also Streetcar proposals and plans for Worcester , Lowell & Springfield.....So i think Mass has it all set. Much of New England is the same way. Mass is holding up projects in VT , NH , ME , CT and RI....but there doing it 2 lines at a time..... Philly is completely different form Boston , there system is larger and was screwed up by there Transit agency.... The MBTA didn't really ruin or hurt the system as much as Septa did....
Old February 10th, 2011, 04:32 AM   #155
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

But MBTA has the most ruinous system in the country today. The state has dragged its heels for years in terms of starting construction of the expansion of commuter rail to the 2 major southeast cities, New Bedford and Fall River. There are no concrete plans to expand rail to Springfield just yet, only a pipe dream (only ONE Amtrak train per day connects the capital with the state's third-largest city).

And where has commuter rail expanded within the last 3 years? Oh yeah, only to the airport in Rhode Island. No construction has started on in-state projects. They have the money to extend Fitchburg Line past Fitchburg, but work has yet to begin.

The MBTA is a sick joke; their expansion plans are a job program for lobbyists and consultants, not for engineers and construction workers.
Old February 10th, 2011, 05:46 AM   #156
TheKorean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Arent they extending the Providence Line to Wickford Junction? it would kickass if some how they can connect MBTA and Shore East Line.
TheKorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 06:03 AM   #157
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

There are also other tasks left to do.

Refurbishment or replacement of the Orange Line fleet.

Maybe refurbishment of the Red Line fleet

Announcing the builders of the new Green Line trains.
Old March 7th, 2011, 04:36 AM   #158
sidney_jec
Complex Equation

City bus in Boston

PS: Lord Murugan never deleted signatures. Never
sidney_jec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 12:55 AM   #159
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Here is something new on the public transit front in Boston.

The Fairmount Corridor improvement project is now underway. More information can be found at the Transport Politic article down below.

Source: The Transport Politic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonah Freemark
Fairmount Corridor Construction Promotes Better Use of Commuter Lines in Boston

...As in other American cities, this represents a significant under-use of an asset that could play a significant role in upgrading Boston’s transportation network.

With the Fairmount Corridor improvement project, however, that situation will begin to improve on a limited basis — at least within a few neighborhoods south of downtown. Last week, MBTA transit officials broke ground on an infill station at Dorchester neighborhoods’s Talbot Avenue, one of four new stops planned on this commuter rail link (only one remains unstarted).
More information at: http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2...nes-in-boston/

Last edited by manrush; June 15th, 2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old July 8th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #160
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Some Green line vids..

Tags
boston, massdot, the t