daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 9th, 2011, 01:12 AM   #161
nanar
nanar

Likes (Received): 1538

I really can't understand WHY cars and trucks are allowed on streetcar lanes on such wide streets.
May be, it's "old fashionned" but entirely stupid.

A+

Découvrez les sites darly.org & lyonmetro.org
"Si vous ne considérez pas le vélo urbain comme une partie de la solution aux problèmes de déplacement dans les villes, vous êtes une partie du problème".
nanar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2011, 07:12 AM   #162
tyork

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanar
I really can't understand WHY cars and trucks are allowed on streetcar lanes on such wide streets.

A+
It's a lot more common throughout the world to see street cars/light rail share traffic with automobiles then for them to have a designated right of way. Also aside from that small section on Huntington/South Huntington, the green line is separated from vehicular traffic. Traffic is a nightmare between Bringham circle and Heath street, which is where it shares the road, converting the road to a single lane will do little to improve the green line however it will cause significant issues for vehicular traffic and the several bus lines that run down that stretch.
tyork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 07:20 AM   #163
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanar View Post

A+
They do have seperated ROW's...there are a few European systems like the one in Boston.... All Future lines will run on there on ROWs...

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #164
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

The shared traffic lane portion of the "E" Branch of the Green Line used to extend all the way to the Forrest Hills area, near the terminus of the Orange Line, which at that time operated on a viaduct along Washington Street. In 1985, the "E" Branch was truncated at Heath Street, which eliminated about 2.5 miles of shared traffic lane operation.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:04 PM   #165
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Last edited by trainrover; September 12th, 2011 at 08:10 PM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #166
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

Boston's transit system is pretty good. Unfortunately, the city's and State's so-called 'leadership' and the T's so-called 'management' remain sheer obstacles to making the transit system better.

What with the delay of the Green Line Extension to Medford until 2018 and treacherously evading the restoration of the Arborway branch.

If I may plug a website here: archboston.org is the best place to get a more detailed look at what makes Boston's transit system tick (or not).
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #167
trainrover

As far as leadership customs goes, it appears Montreal might be following in Boston's footsteps:
Thank you for the tip, I crave the likes of old footage

Old September 12th, 2011, 08:17 PM   #168
trainrover

I'm curious to see what the replacements are

Old September 12th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #169
trainrover

Replacements are hard on my eyes

Queer, I'd have thought that the traffic signals (to at least the large, first intersection filmed above) would've been upgraded to yield priority to the T / trams, e.g.:-

Last edited by trainrover; September 12th, 2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old October 6th, 2011, 10:58 PM   #170
cMags13

Likes (Received): 1

Yay Boston. I take the Red Line every day from Harvard to Kendall and it's pretty solid for the most part.
cMags13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #171
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old December 9th, 2011, 02:28 AM   #172
trainrover

It's nice knowing somebody else out there needn't appreciate a newer fleet ... for being 40 years old and running outdoors, that Type 1 fleet seems to operate just fine

Alewife, Braintree
Old December 9th, 2011, 05:03 AM   #173
bayviews

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
Boston's transit system is pretty good. Unfortunately, the city's and State's so-called 'leadership' and the T's so-called 'management' remain sheer obstacles to making the transit system better.
There were times when Boston was a leading center of transit innovation.

Things seemed to have changed in the 80s/90s when the local politicians came up with that "Big Dig" boondoogle.

The result: Billions taken away away from local transit & so the impact on improving Boston's local transit has been minimal.
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 05:32 AM   #174
JustinB

Likes (Received): 30

I visited Boston recently, and I was pretty impressed with the system in the city proper. The suburban transit was typically bad, but it worked. I can only imagine the transit system Boston would been able to build with the $14 Billion spent on burying the Central Artery. I was impressed with the space open by demolishing the elevated structure, though.
Old December 9th, 2011, 05:47 AM   #175
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3717

Boston is one of those cities in the US where mass transit make the most sense, yet has trouble expanding or building new lines because all the transit money is being spent in sprawling sun belt cities like Charlotte and endless studies.

Last edited by LtBk; December 11th, 2011 at 01:27 AM.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 07:40 AM   #176
bayviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Boston is one of those cities in the US where mass transit make the most sense, yet has trouble expanding or building new lines because all the transit money is being spent in sprawling sun belt cities like Charlotte.

Certainly that's part of the reason, although I think Charlotte's planned quite well.

But imagine what Boston's transit might be like today had that $14 billion dumped into the Big Dig had been spent & spread around better.

Not to pick on Boston. San Francisco's on the verge of embarking on a smaller scale boondoogle, with obvious stress already apparent upon the rest of the city's transit system.

You know what they say when the pols get to pick & your dealing with the Feds: Use it, or Lose it!

Given the chance & the bucks, the wise ways of the Pentagon always seems to become the model for transit.
Old December 9th, 2011, 08:17 AM   #177
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old December 9th, 2011, 06:13 PM   #178
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
sprawling sun belt cities like Charlotte.
The City Solution to Earth's Problems

clickable...
Old December 10th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #179
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayviews View Post
Certainly that's part of the reason, although I think Charlotte's planned quite well.

But imagine what Boston's transit might be like today had that $14 billion dumped into the Big Dig had been spent & spread around better.

Not to pick on Boston. San Francisco's on the verge of embarking on a smaller scale boondoogle, with obvious stress already apparent upon the rest of the city's transit system.

You know what they say when the pols get to pick & your dealing with the Feds: Use it, or Lose it!

Given the chance & the bucks, the wise ways of the Pentagon always seems to become the model for transit.
While the Big Dig was certainly very expensive and it's debt is weighing down the MBTA, the project has gone a long way to improve things in central Boston. Getting to/from Logan International Airport is now a lot easier and smoother. The corridor down Atlantic Avenue is great and the heart of the city has been reconnected. The old elevated expressway cut right through and was flat out ugly.

For the most part, Boston has a solid transit system to only a few cities in the U.S. can top, namely New York and Chicago. You could live in Boston and not won a car, as I once did, and that's something you can't do in a lot of cities.
massp88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2011, 04:24 AM   #180
bayviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
While the Big Dig was certainly very expensive and it's debt is weighing down the MBTA, the project has gone a long way to improve things in central Boston. Getting to/from Logan International Airport is now a lot easier and smoother. The corridor down Atlantic Avenue is great and the heart of the city has been reconnected. The old elevated expressway cut right through and was flat out ugly.

Yeah, for sure, nobody's missed the Central Artery!

Seems though for what? $14 billion, they could have done a lot better connecting the commter rails.

And better yet, doing more for the surface transport & other more down to earth basics.

Tags
boston, massdot, the t