daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 11th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #41
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I don't know of any full-service gas station in Slovenia. There's an unmanned gas station in Ljubljana, but I never think of it, so I still haven't tried it (but I have in Switzerland).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2010, 05:48 PM   #42
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

In the province of BC, Canada, Most gas stations are self serve. In larger areas, a few pumps are full serve, though it costs a few pennies more (That's on top of the HST... ). There are no stations that are fully automated (No staff)
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:05 PM   #43
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 804

@Chris: do you know if there are any full service petrol stations left in The Netherlands?

I know full service stations especially from countries like South Africa and the UAE. And I had my car filled by a petrol attendant at the Italian highway between Genova and Monaco but normally I prefer to fill it up myself unless I drive a diesel car because diesel stinks
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #44
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
In Switzerland you only have self-service or no-service. I usually prefer non-service, unless I actually want to buy something from the shop.
Oddly the 2 places I have ever had full service are a station in Italy just next to the Swiss border and in Poland just past the German Border. It is as if cross border travellers need help with refuelling. I think the Polish one was their mainly to push premium fuel, which was pointless for us as the car was slightly broken.

I think the fumes issue is a good reason not to have an attendant. Surely it is better to have everyone exposed to fumes for a very short period of time than have one person breathing them all day and developing some sort of long term problems.

The main problem I find is when there are no pumps on my side so I have to position the car so the pump just reaches, which has been solved ingeniously where I live now by having the pumps dangling from the roof on an open forecourt with a big screen showing how much it is costing.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #45
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
Oddly the 2 places I have ever had full service are a station in Italy just next to the Swiss border and in Poland just past the German Border. It is as if cross border travellers need help with refuelling.
Usually in Italy service stations have two rows of pumps, one for self service and the other one for full service. AFAIK there are very few stations with full service only.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #46
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
I think the fumes issue is a good reason not to have an attendant. Surely it is better to have everyone exposed to fumes for a very short period of time than have one person breathing them all day and developing some sort of long term problems.
Which is interesting, considering that the vapors are heavier than air.

Most likely, it's to do with the bottom line. It's cheaper to have a self service station, rather than a full serve one. Here in BC, most staff run the convenience store, as well pump fuel, at places were full serve is available.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #47
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21236

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Usually in Italy service stations have two rows of pumps, one for self service and the other one for full service. AFAIK there are very few stations with full service only.
In Italian local/regional roads, outside the mains service plazas, sometimes you park your car at a smaller gas station on the "fai-da-te" (self-service) area, but the attendants will come to help you regardless if they are idle. Happened to me more than 10 times. So you get service without paying for it.

Never expect such courtesy on an Autogrill, though.
Old August 11th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #48
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

I have never seen a full service in the UK, as Jonesy said, nor a non-service one, however, in Portugal I have seen all three, with self.service being the most common.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 09:04 PM   #49
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
@Chris: do you know if there are any full service petrol stations left in The Netherlands?
Not by default. But there are probably still a lot of village gas stations where the owner will pump the gas for you, simply to make a talk with his fellow villagers and to attract some local customers away from the major brands.

The last time I saw it was in 2007, when I stopped for gas in a village in Southern Limburg (around Eijsden, not sure which village).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 09:21 PM   #50
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

I just remembered that in Portugal, my cousin always went to this same full service station, because she didn't know how to do it herself, and me and my parents were in her car and we nearly ran out of fuel, so my dad had to teach her .
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #51
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Not by default. But there are probably still a lot of village gas stations where the owner will pump the gas for you, simply to make a talk with his fellow villagers and to attract some local customers away from the major brands.

The last time I saw it was in 2007, when I stopped for gas in a village in Southern Limburg (around Eijsden, not sure which village).
Ah we don't have that here in the city... but it makes sense!

Reminds me that when I was in Poland a few weeks ago one of the cars check engine light came on because of bad quality fuel. After the next top-up it disappeared again.
Old August 11th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #52
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I've read the best solution in eastern/central Europe is to avoid non-major brands, and to fill up at major gas stations only.

However, this isn't limited to Poland. I once tanked diesel in a small village in France at a non-major brand, and I got a far lower mileage that usual, only 15 km per liter, while I usually get 20 km per liter.
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #53
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
But there are probably still a lot of village gas stations where the owner will pump the gas for you, simply to make a talk with his fellow villagers and to attract some local customers away from the major brands.
not neccesserly villages. in HR mostly it is self-service (but we don't have unmanned stations). but at some stations, they have some kind of employees' code of behaving where they run to serve the customer. that's the case at Tifon station where I the most often fill my car (and it is not some no name station, Tifon is one 4th largest chain in HR), but i allways say that i wil do it by myself
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:19 PM   #54
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's hard to believe for me that on major gas stations in New Jersey, you have 20 people running around to pump the gas for you. I mean, if you have 20 - 30 pump islands, you need a similar amount of people to pump for you too. It would be quite annoying if you have to wait minutes every time you want to fill up.
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #55
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

nooo, you wll not find it at large stations btw, at this my local one, there are 2 or 3 guys in shift, but only one is offering you help. so if there are more then 1 car, only one could get his service
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:14 PM   #56
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I'm taking the liberty of posting this from the debate at AARoads. From someone who actually pumps gas for a living:

http://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.p...72817#msg72817
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:15 PM   #57
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
It's hard to believe for me that on major gas stations in New Jersey, you have 20 people running around to pump the gas for you. I mean, if you have 20 - 30 pump islands, you need a similar amount of people to pump for you too. It would be quite annoying if you have to wait minutes every time you want to fill up.
Nah, they start you off and go on to the next car. Not sure that actually answers the safety concern (since in other states you see signs staying that the law requires you to stay by your car while it's filling)....
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #58
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

[sorry - double post - computer a bit slow]
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:22 PM   #59
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Oh you still have those nozzles in the US which you can leave unattended? They are forbidden in the Netherlands and probably the entire EU. It's considered too dangerous (but what isn't in this nanny-state).

You need to pull the handle all the way until your tank is full.
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:26 PM   #60
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2101

Quote:
Oh you still have those nozzles in the US which you can leave unattended? They are forbidden in the Netherlands and probably the entire EU. It's considered too dangerous (but what isn't in this nanny-state).
I remember those, possibly 15 years ago, even in Italy. Never found one since then...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote