daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 11th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #1
emailspyro
emailspyro

Likes (Received): 1

Northcenter, Lincoln Square and Ravenswood Thread please

Why is it that one of the best areas in Chicago has no thread in here? There has been so much development and these areas are amazing...
emailspyro no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:31 PM   #2
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ Please fill us in on all of these "developments" that we should be looking forward to. Especially if you think it's worthy of starting a thread..
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 05:03 AM   #3
emailspyro
emailspyro

Old Town School of music. Already the best in the city now expanding across the street with state of the art development.

http://www.oldtownschool.org/together/

Also, Athletic Club coming to Lincoln Square. Will be state of the art and the beautiful German Village mural will be preserved:

http://www.centersquarejournal.com/n...nishings-space
Old August 14th, 2010, 02:35 AM   #4
Aaron W

Likes (Received): 63

Oh wow, I didn't know anything about a gym opening up in the old furniture store space. The article is dated January 21, 2010, and states, plan to begin construction “within 30 days.” So does that mean it's under-construction right now? I was just in Lincoln Square last Saturday, but I didn't pay attention to the building because I wasn't aware of these plans. I wonder if there are any renderings of what it will look like inside? And what (if any) changes will happen to the exterior?
Old August 16th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #5
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

^Found this rendering on their website:

Ravenswood Station

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 12:49 AM   #6
Aaron W

Likes (Received): 63

Thanks for posting the rendering of the new Athletic Club, spyguy! I'm still sad to see the condos disappear above the Ravenwood development.
Old August 18th, 2010, 04:30 AM   #7
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ At this point I'll be happy if they even manage to build this thing. Forget the condos..
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 03:37 AM   #8
emailspyro
emailspyro

The alderman today announced the ward is planning to expand the Lincoln Park Town square to include the alley East of Giddings plaza and to establish a year round Farmers Market. I assume that means they would build a building to house it! Great news for the area.
Old October 21st, 2010, 04:36 AM   #9
nicksplace27

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailspyro View Post
The alderman today announced the ward is planning to expand the Lincoln Park Town square to include the alley East of Giddings plaza and to establish a year round Farmers Market. I assume that means they would build a building to house it! Great news for the area.
What is this alley you are referring to? Giddings Street? Becuase I'm not entirely sure the residents of said street would like that very much.

And where would this year round farmers market be?
nicksplace27 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #10
emailspyro
emailspyro

RiverView Plaza Facelift and other news

The Riverview Plaza on western is getting a facelift, more green and the the Dominick's is being replaced with a Mariano's.

This should be an improvement but somewhat unimaginative. With the beautiful views toward the river, I am not sure why they wouldn't follow the Whole Foods example and reposition the mall to face West vs. East.
In any case, the mall will end up looking much better than today.

It is right by the viaduct that will be torn down... I think that is a mistake. The bridge should be replaced with a modern bridge that can server as a landmark... tearing it down will only increase traffic issues. Wouldn't a cable bride look fantastic there?
Old November 13th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #11
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Montrose Green
1819 W Montrose - right next to the CTA station
Retail/office/residential

The previous proposal was for the Montrose Art Center. The architect and basic design remains the same.

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 03:52 AM   #12
emailspyro
emailspyro

Nice post spyguy. I lobe that building, it will add a splash of color to a great area.
Old July 21st, 2011, 08:40 PM   #13
Northsider

Likes (Received): 121

Lawrence Ave. Sears Parking Lot Project Derailed

A little old, but...

Lawrence Ave. Sears Parking Lot Project Derailed

http://www.centersquarejournal.com/n...oject-derailed

The Chicago Sun Times reported this morning that the proposed Ravenswood Station development in the Sears parking lot at Ravenswood and Lawrence Ave., is “derailed” because Sears Holdings Corp. and Magellan Development Group LLC have not been able to agree on a sale price for the property.

The 80,000 square-foot project was slated to include a Mariano’s Fresh Market, a Sears Auto Center and a 600-car parking garage. It was roundly approved by residents in a community meeting held exactly a year ago.

The Sun Times quotes Sears spokesperson Kim Freely saying that Sears is, “still considering alternatives for the site,” but without further details.

Reached this morning, Ald. Ameya Pawar (47th), says his staff has been working to set up a meeting with Sears, and that he has no specific preferences for the site.

“I’m not a planner,” said Pawar. “Something needs to happen on Lawrence Avenue. There’s no doubt about that.”

As for allocating TIF funds for the site, Pawar pointed out that the Ravenswood Station project did not call for public funds, and that the TIF in the area is already committed to funding the Lawrence Ave. streetscape.

“There’s about $17 million [already] allocated from the Lawrence Avenue streetscape from the TIF,” said Pawar. “I wouldn’t look at any project in isolation. You have to look at them together.”

“The judgement we have to make with the public is if the net benefit [of using TIF funds] is larger than what we’d gain from diverting the funds from the schools,” said Pawar.

Pawar said he plans to talk with Sears and Metra about the new Lawrence Ave. stop, before making any decisions on the project.
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote