daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 13th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #661
Neb81

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
You raise some valid points, but the HSR trip between Melbourne and Sydney could still be quite a bit faster than flying plus business passengers is exactly what airplanes/HSR is chasing.
Also it has the potential to be built in two phases, Sydney-Canberra, and Canberra-Melbourne, with the first phase being independently viable. This would make it easy to spread costs, and make the whole project more robust over all.

The QLD link, even though longer, I think would have viability, as it would capture a lot of regional markets. Though the end to end time maybe at the edge of vaibility, there are a lot of smaller cities such as Newcastle, Port Maquarie, Coff's Harbour and Gold Coast all en-route, which would generate additional traffic to/from Brissie and Sydney, as well as between each other, especially since airfares from the regional towns are far less competitive than the point-to-point fares for SYD-BNE.
Neb81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #662
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaud View Post
Now, Australia is basically made out of big cities with their airports with very very little in between, there's absolutely no need to lay an expensive railway track between Melbourne and Sydney to connect these two cities since they have airports and except for Canberra (which also has its own airport) there's basically nothing in between.
It doesn't have to stay that way. I think that the Melbourne - Sydney HSL should be promoted as a way to develop a corridor between those two cities (including Canberra and Albury/Wodonga). On of the things I found odd about Australia is how land and housing seems to be as expensive there as here in dense Switzerland... Time Australia started to actually use all that empty space for something more than just grazing sheep...

However, that does indicated that the first phase should maybe be Newcastle - Sydney (with a new north-south crossing of the harbor and the CBD) - Canberra, with an emphasis on bringing as much of that corridor within commuting distance of Sydney. Similarly rond Melbourne one could start with Geelong - Melbourne - Albury. In a second phase both corridors could be linked.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #663
Neb81

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
It doesn't have to stay that way. I think that the Melbourne - Sydney HSL should be promoted as a way to develop a corridor between those two cities (including Canberra and Albury/Wodonga). On of the things I found odd about Australia is how land and housing seems to be as expensive there as here in dense Switzerland... Time Australia started to actually use all that empty space for something more than just grazing sheep...

However, that does indicated that the first phase should maybe be Newcastle - Sydney (with a new north-south crossing of the harbor and the CBD) - Canberra, with an emphasis on bringing as much of that corridor within commuting distance of Sydney. Similarly rond Melbourne one could start with Geelong - Melbourne - Albury. In a second phase both corridors could be linked.
Newcastle - Sydney already has good service and is heavily built up. If you wanted to open up new land, then the best first alignment would be Sydney-Canberra, either via Wollongong or Campbeltown - both routes have a lot of potential for future development and very good ridership.
Old April 16th, 2013, 01:16 PM   #664
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb81 View Post
Newcastle - Sydney already has good service and is heavily built up.
I've done Newcastle - Sydney. I wouldn't call it particularly good... (But maybe I'm too spoiled when it comes to rail service.)
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #665
Neb81

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
I've done Newcastle - Sydney. I wouldn't call it particularly good... (But maybe I'm too spoiled when it comes to rail service.)
I agree it's not great by world standards

What I meant was that it has fairly frequent (hourly or better for the most part) electrified services which have led to the corridor being heavily developed compared to the Canberra-Sydney corridor which currently has 2-3 trains per day(!) diesel service, and is mostly undeveloped beyond the end of the existing CityRail network.

Newcastle really could use HSR service as second phase, but I think Canberra-Sydney would be a bigger transformation that would also service a large population (in Canberra) which is for all intents and purposes, currently off the rail map entirely.
Old April 17th, 2013, 06:03 AM   #666
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21247

How is infrastrcuture ownership organized in Australia? Can newcomers set up new rail services if they want?
Old April 17th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #667
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

I imagine so, as long as they get all the environmental and government clearances. Brisbane's enormous new motorway tunnels were all privately funded.
Old April 17th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #668
dan72
Rai

Likes (Received): 23

Depends which state in western australia the legislation prohibits anyone but the government owned public transport authority running public transport in the city. They do allow private companies to run it on their behalf though
dan72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #669
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21247

But what about, say, some company wanting to operate (without any subsidies) some train from Perth to Canberra?
Old April 18th, 2013, 01:54 PM   #670
dan72
Rai

Likes (Received): 23

Thats different because it is regional, not in the city. Most suburban lines in the city are owned by the govt and are not open to private operators. But one line is open to private operators
dan72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 10:26 AM   #671
foyejstuart

Likes (Received): 1

I am big fan of railways and i always prefer this for journey, Australian railways are one of the best way to journey in Australia. The Australian railways looks also really nice. It is the best way to see Australian city and experience in great way.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:19 PM   #672
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

Likes (Received): 1734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
But what about, say, some company wanting to operate (without any subsidies) some train from Perth to Canberra?
I'm sure somebody would if there was money to be made. (There isn't.)

Victor P. Taffa
SurfRail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:26 PM   #673
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Any news on the rail projects around Brisbane?

Is the cross-river rail link still in the works, and is there still a link to Maroochydore and Coolangatta being built?
Old May 26th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #674
koresh

Likes (Received): 1368

CityRail Trip : Milsons Point - Wynyard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q152TRLoaMI

CityRail Trip : Parramatta - Stratfield

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm1-h4mZpIc

CityRail Trip : Stratfield - Central

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH-3qHSIXiE

Train departing - Southern Cross Station, Melbourne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q8exttYdAU

Melbourne Train Trip - Pakenham Line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOdapOmg0uU

koresh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2013, 04:29 AM   #675
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post

Is the cross-river rail link still in the works, and is there still a link to Maroochydore and Coolangatta being built?
Cross River Rail has been denied funding by the Commonwealth (either party, though I think Labor said they'd give $700 million), iirc.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #676
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

Likes (Received): 1734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post

Maroochydore and Coolangatta are off in the never-never (post 2031).

Don't bank on anything new being built beyond what is already under construction this side of 2020+.
SurfRail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #677
koresh

CityRail: Blue Mountain Line Intercity Train

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nym5qwejPKI

Old May 29th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #678
Neb81

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfRail View Post
Maroochydore and Coolangatta are off in the never-never (post 2031).

Don't bank on anything new being built beyond what is already under construction this side of 2020+.
This is ridiculous, given that financing costs are so low at the moment, and the federal government is in a very good position to borrow. Now would be a good time to invest in capital intensive projects.
Old June 1st, 2013, 02:56 AM   #679
MelbourneCity

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb81 View Post
This is ridiculous, given that financing costs are so low at the moment, and the federal government is in a very good position to borrow. Now would be a good time to invest in capital intensive projects.
Federal Governments (unfortunately) largely haven't funded much public transport.

The opposition leader has made it quite clear a government led by him certainly will not.

Melburnian in Sydney via Bendigo
MelbourneCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 09:46 AM   #680
koresh

Train arriving at Wynyard Station

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWmI7srhINE

Metro Train in Melbourne - Pakenham line

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-hi7EI5lEE

Tags
australia, railways