daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 13th, 2010, 02:51 AM   #1
Giri

Likes (Received): 37

"Mission Yvelines" : Giri on French roads (includes : Périgueux, Limoges, Versailles)

I've had to cross the Loire river an unhealthy number of times this year. The reasons behind this new trip are not as funny as those who made me visit Picardy on february. To sum up, I had to help my uncle move from his flat near Versailles in Yvelines as his life has taken a surprising and unpleasant turn that has put a stop to 30 years of Parisian life.

The first part is about me rallying Périgueux from my home Béarn in deep SW France. Périgueux belongs to administrative Aquitaine but IMO areas situated North of the Dordogne river are really another universe. That's central France, its castles, its forests, its suffocating valleys.

image hosted on flickr

In order to reach the Garonne valley, I have to cross the infamous forest of the Landes. More than one hour through pinetree forests. People love it or hate it. I love it : this is the only original landscape from Moscow to Bordeaux but I'd get that people don't find that much charm to that former desert. Sickly pinetress and sandy roads cannot appeal to everyone.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Pompogne :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

We eventually reach a rather little town : Casteljaloux. This is somehow the end of the "Landais" plateau : after Casteljaloux, landscapes do differ as we approach the Garonne valley.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

If you notice, horrible "Provençal" houses are being built on the heights of every hill. The landscape is irreversably damaged by those nouveaux riches lacking taste.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The "Canal latéral à la Garonne" :

image hosted on flickr

We enter the large valley of the Garonne river around Marmande. No pics from the river or the town, that'll be for the trip back home.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Bypassing Marmande :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

For those interested, note that this village named Virazeil is the last Gascon-speaking village before entering Guyennais lands. Guyenne is the name commonly given to non-Gascon parts of modern administrative Aquitaine. This is a border zone between SW France and Central France.

image hosted on flickr

The last Gascon houses, easily recognizable because of their triangular "Vasconic" shape. That style still can be observed in Guyenne as you'll notice but it's not as dominant.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Guyenne !

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Miramont-de-Guyenne :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Saint-Romain :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Our escapade in the département Lot-et-Garonne is over as we cross the Dropt river. We're now in Dordogneshire. We'll visit Eymet later, France's greatest concentration of British people. Let's head to Bergerac.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

South Périgord still is very SW French-looking. The true frontier is the Dordogner river. That whole area South of that river is dubbed "Purple Périgord" because of wine. Périgord comes from Celtic "Petrocores" "the four tribes". It's quite probable that peole inhabiting these lands were one of those 4 peoples.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The Dordogne valley ! In the distance is truer Périgord and in a way central France. Deep forests, high sloping roofs, the famous "Limousin" accent, ...

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Bypassing Bergerac ...

image hosted on flickr

Here we are : let's enter the forests. Just after eating at a local McDonald's though. The new "280" is not bad. I noticed that unfortunately enough, SW French accent has disappeared in Bergerac.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Not enough luminosity for proper pics. I'll get my revenge soon when coming back home through those very same roads. I eventually reach Périgueux, the capital of Périgord. Périgueux by night :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Next : from Périgueux to Versailles. Stay tuned.

Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2010, 04:37 AM   #2
kingsway

Likes (Received): 12

charming French rural landscape.
kingsway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 01:54 AM   #3
Giri

You may not have guessed but I'm a bit compulsive. I feel like going somewhere without immortalizing the landscape with my cam would be a travesty. I want to own every moment of my life. That's pretty much why I will impose you dozens of highway pics in sordid central France.

Here's the road : about 500km through the rolling hills of Périgord and Limousin then the wheat fields of central France. The weather was quite hot and this was the busiest day in the year as july ended and august began.

image hosted on flickr

After a good night in Périgueux surrounded by posters of Booba and Juninho, it was time to take our truck on the roads. We'll visit Périgueux later : for the moment, you'll get a glimpse of its suburbs.

image hosted on flickr

Mitterrand is the new Adolphe Thiers : each town of France has got something named "François-Mitterrand". Unfortunately for Tonton, mayors in France do now mostly order the construction of roundabouts.

image hosted on flickr

The venerable "Nationale 21" towards Limoges. North of Périgueux, the landscape is immutably green and rather smoother. You never really get a fantastic panorama with an endless horizon. North Périgord is a lazy country : everything is charming but it never gets beautiful. The exact opposite of South Périgord.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

We reach Thiviers. This area is not really Périgord anymore, it's already Limousin in the way towns and villages are organized.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

La Coquille :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Firbeix is the last village in Périgord but as I stated, this is a very subtle transition.

image hosted on flickr

The first town in Limousin is Châlus. My main reproach to Limousin is the lack of quality of vernacular architecture. That really is a big disappointement. Nature is beautiful but the creations of men are not that pretty. IMO there were too many recent reconstructions (the 1930s ?).

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Séreilhac :

image hosted on flickr

Guess where we are ! According to the name of the street, we're in Occitania. That's "Avenue d''Occitanie". The issue with Limousin people is that they're awfully complexed about being "Southerners in the North". Since I'm a nice guy, I won't contradict them. Even though there are no landscapes in France less southern than Limousin.

image hosted on flickr

Soon comes Limoges. Let's bypass the town.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Towards Paris !

image hosted on flickr

The highway named A20 is going through the Mounts of Ambazac.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I'm in Marche, a subdivision of Limousin and the former border between Southern and Northern France. IMO Limousin should have kept a Celtic language. Celtic languages are great for touristic purposes, people from the whole world come and visit your green rolling hills and find them marvellous.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Some miles after leaving Limousin, I enter "Pays d'Oïl" aka Northern France. Everthing that defines France is from here.

image hosted on flickr

The landscape is suddenly changing : it cannot be denied that there's a true divide between Limousin and Berry. It's one of the most dramatic borders in France as far as I am concerned.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Central France is an agricultural desert ...

image hosted on flickr

Châteauroux in the distance : I feel like I'm already in the suburbs of Paris. Paris really is the "greatest" town in Europe : a bit less than 300km from Paris and one is attracted like a magnet.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Trees were planted to hide the landscape. Give me my endless horizon back !

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

In Vierzon, my uncle's GPS unit made us leave the highways because of trafic. Vierzon is probably France's best-known city where there is strictly nothing to see.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Back on highways :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Orléans as seen from the highway : this is the Loire river.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Paris is now an evidence. The apocalyptic and post-modern landscape is here to remind me of the power of that town. This is cartesianism illustrated. Ask me if you're interested in the names of the towns so that you forget about them right away.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

In order to reach Versailles, the best way is to go through the Beauce area on national roads. I'm in Île-de-France !

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Funnily enough, this road is named "Road of Liberty" : the sooner you leave, the more free you are.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Eventually we reach the suburbs of Versailles.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

"Pariwest" (sic) and a McDonald's : who said that the French were viciously anti-American ?

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Saint-Cyr-l'Ecole :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Eventually, my destination : Fontenay-le-Fleury. What can be said about those suburbs ? Mostly middle classes live here. It's a bit a counterpart to Marie-Antoinette's farm in Versailles : here urban people have the illusion that they live in the countryside without the fearsome hooting of owls but the thrilling sound of RER trains every 10 minutes.

image hosted on flickr

Next : tiny bits of Fontenay and Versailles then back to Périgueux ! We'll visit Limoges.
Old August 17th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #4
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244703

Really a great, very nice photo-tour
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #5
aliveinchains

Likes (Received): 512

Great tour...beautiful French landscapes - but a agriculture desert seems to be a little depressing.
I am going to visit IDF next month. Many threads from SSC inspired me to go outside proper Paris and see some western and southern suburbs...hope to have a great time in your capital city

Galicja - Śląsk Cieszyński; Podbeskidzie - wakacje cały rok!
aliveinchains no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 01:18 PM   #6
Minato ku

What is bad with Central France ? It is by far the most beautiful region of France.
OK being born here I am a bit spoiled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giri View Post
In Vierzon, my uncle's GPS unit made us leave the highways because of trafic. Vierzon is probably France's best-known city where there is strictly nothing to see.
So true !!
Vierzon is famous because this is the jonction between the A20, A71 and A85 motorways.
Three motorways for a boring town.
Old August 17th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #7
Giri

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveinchains
Great tour...beautiful French landscapes - but a agriculture desert seems to be a little depressing.
Depressing is an understatement. Northern France is a monotonous and endless flat plain with bell tower-crowned towns emulating mirages in a desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveinchains
I am going to visit IDF next month. Many threads from SSC inspired me to go outside proper Paris and see some western and southern suburbs...hope to have a great time in your capital city
That's the best season for sure. September and october are an enchantment in Paris. IMO visiting some suburbs can be the subject of a great tour, you get to see what Parisian life is about. As a peripheral Frenchman myself more than 800km from Paris, whenever I visit family members in this suburban labyrinth, I feel like I'm finally living the true French experience. Métro, tile roofs, castles the gardens of which welcomed French commie blocks in the 60s. That's great. Still, if you don't know Paris, just concentrate on the centre-town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato Ku
What is bad with Central France ? It is by far the most beautiful region of France.
OK being born here I am a bit spoiled.
Towns are undoubtedly the best thing coming from that area. Orléans, Bourges, Tours, the whole Loire river, ... are human marvels. People from central France compensated their lack of beautiful nature with the greatest buildings in France.
Old August 18th, 2010, 12:27 AM   #8
eklips

Likes (Received): 5052

I love how you manage to use a bland photo of a highway in the middle of nowhere to make reflexions on the construction of the french nation (no sarcasm here).

Last edited by eklips; August 18th, 2010 at 12:33 AM.
eklips no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #9
Giri

I haven't uploaded this thread as promised as the second part of the year was pretty harsh. My uncle died last month and this whole adventure on the roads of France appears nonsensical and useless to my eyes. We're nothing. Nevermind.

We stopped in the suburbs of Versailles and contrary to what I may have made you believe, we won't really visit Versailles. Many reasons : the weather was bad and Versailles is bland. Have you read me ? Yes Versailles is bland, its castle is utterly boring, perspectives are ridiculously classical, half of French cities are more seducing than this flat and monotonous overhyped city. The idea of Versailles is great, the grandeur of France is a thematic that can move me but reality has been deceiving since I first came to visit the town years ago.

Saint-Cyr :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Towards Versailles : we'll bypass the castle in favour of sand-like XVIIIth century arteries.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

That's really a brief glimpse : hundreds of kilometres await us, no time to lose to reach Périgueux. Let's leave the town on the N12. The road will be the same one as the day before.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Coignières :

image hosted on flickr

The A10 and its fauna once more :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Don't hesitate !

image hosted on flickr

Our GPS is a clever chap : we made us leave the highway to avoid heavy trafic around Vierzon. You'll get to have a look at the sordid French countryside around Orléans with Salbris : its red-brick houses, its church, its kebab restaurants.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Aubigny ? Souesmes ? I had never heard of such towns.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Back on the highway towards Limoges : we'll get to go across Berry once more.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The landscape gets hillier : that's "Southern France". We're near Argenton, soon we'll enter Limousin, the official entrance to the "South".

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Here we are : "Pays d'Oc". And then the weather got disastrous.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

A McDonald's restaurant ! Civilization ! We are in Limoges.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Next : we'll visit Limoges under a heavy rain.
Old July 31st, 2011, 05:38 PM   #10
Giri

The pics are now one year old. Still a promise is to be respected. Limoges then. I fear I have nothing to state about that town. No jokes, no serious comments. Visiting a French middle town under a heavy rain is not a fascinating experience.

Still here we are : the main arterial road of Limoges : it could be anywhere else in France. That's "Avenue des Bénédictins".

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Place Jourdan :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Each French town has got its "Galeries Lafayette" :

image hosted on flickr

To the old town :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The Temple :

image hosted on flickr

Place Saint-Michel :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Place de la Motte :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Rue Lansecot :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The 60s constitute the background of medieval streets :

image hosted on flickr

Onwards to the cathedral !

image hosted on flickr

The Town Hall :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

We reach the "Haute Cité" where episcopal power was situated :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Eventually, Limoges' greatest monument : its railstation !

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Time to leave the town in order to reach Périgueux in the SW :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Plain old boring national road :

image hosted on flickr

The road seems endless ...

image hosted on flickr

Périgord !

image hosted on flickr

Périgueux in the distance : in one year's time, we'll visit the town.

image hosted on flickr
Old July 31st, 2011, 05:47 PM   #11
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3939

Great pics....thanks for sharing.
Old July 31st, 2011, 08:10 PM   #12
AlwaysInMotion

Likes (Received): 0

Cool pictures and commentary.
AlwaysInMotion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 08:14 PM   #13
Minato ku

Even a saturday with an good weather, Limoges is not what I would call a vibrant city.
So Limoges sunday with during heavy rain. How many people did you see in the streets? 10?