daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > General Developments and Discussions

General Developments and Discussions » Bridges | Cycling | Maritime

Old July 20th, 2004, 06:47 AM   #1
aoyamacho

Likes (Received):

The Deepest Human Structure?

Everyone think always the tallest and the highest. But I curios about what the deepest thing? Like the deepest mine, the deepest basement, the deepest bunker, the deepest building that the human have created. How about those? If you know can you tell it?

Sponsored Links

Old July 20th, 2004, 02:45 PM   #2
dcb11
Blue Devil

Likes (Received): 0

Good question. Here's some info on the deepest mine, Western Deep Levels Mine in South Africa. It goes 3.5 km under the surface. By comparison, the Taipei 101 skyscraper is the first to reach the half-kilometer point, so imagine 7 Taipei 101's underground.
dcb11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2004, 03:25 PM   #3
Blend

Likes (Received): 2

i have no clue if its true at all, and i wouldnt be suprised if it wasnt...
but there is some government facility in aus which is claimed ot have an underground antenna that goes 8km's down.

i read it in a thread in Ozscrapers --> for everything else in your world

Ask Avatar.. he posted it
Blend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2004, 08:48 PM   #4
dcb11
Blue Devil

What's the point of an underground antenna?
Old July 20th, 2004, 09:16 PM   #5
dcb11
Blue Devil

Oh, I found the article. It says that the antenna is used to recharge the batteries of American submarines using some sort of secret energy device. The whole article, however, is all conspiracy theories and speculation, so I wouldn't trust it at all. There's also stuff about keeping information on every person in the western world in an underground vault in Antarctica. It goes on to mention the secret war between the aliens and the United States. All standard conspiracy theory stuff. All BS.
Old July 21st, 2004, 10:53 AM   #6
Randwicked
Яandwicked

Likes (Received): 3

I think it'd be too hot to buld an antenna so far undergroound. Metal would melt.
Old July 21st, 2004, 02:21 PM   #7
Blend

i didnt really get how an antenna can recharge a submarine anyway. If antennas could supply power, what is the point of having power cables?
Blend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2004, 01:48 PM   #8
Shado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb11
Oh, I found the article. It says that the antenna is used to recharge the batteries of American submarines using some sort of secret energy device.
Given that American submarines use nuclear reactors and have no need to recharge batteries externally..... I think it's safe to say there isn't a coherent fact in any of it....
Shado no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2004, 01:58 PM   #9
Macca-GC
Robert Owen Fan!

Likes (Received): 43

Conspiracy Theorists also say that the Pine Gap US/Australian Intelligence facility near Alice Springs goes as far as 1Km underground.

And then there could be bunkers all through the Rockys. Under Area 51? Cheyenne Mountain?
Macca-GC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2004, 02:17 PM   #10
Þróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 949

Human Structure:

The deepest research borehole ever drilled was in Russia, on the Kola peninsula. Over a period of more than a decade a huge purpose-built rig drilled to over 12 kilometres to investigate the structure of the Continental Crust.

The deepest oil wells that which is known are drilled to about 6km, say 20,000ft. Most normal oil wells are drilled to about 3000 to 5000 metres -10,000 to 16,000 ft.

-----
Nature Structure:

In South Africa we have the Vredefort Cratre which was probably created by a huge meteorite and hit the plannet for 2,000 million years ago, and is today the largest cratre on earth which we know of. The meteorite created a cratre which was about 300km wide and 25km deep, which is about twise as deep as the deepest ocean depth in the world which is 11 025m deep.
Þróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2004, 02:23 PM   #11
Emile
Dat ben ik

damn, that's deep (meteorite thingy)...

and whats the deepest place where human have been before?
Emile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:21 PM   #12
Shado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadman
Conspiracy Theorists also say that the Pine Gap US/Australian Intelligence facility near Alice Springs goes as far as 1Km underground.
I'd say it goes 35,000km up more likely ... Not sure of the point of a listening post going underground.
Shado no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2004, 09:19 AM   #13
TheKansan
The People's Champion

Kansas is the home of the world's largest hand dug well.

http://www.ourks.com/bw.html
TheKansan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2004, 07:28 PM   #14
dcb11
Blue Devil

I think the mine in South Africa is the deepest place humans have been. Its 3.5 km from the surface.
Old July 28th, 2004, 08:24 PM   #15
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 352

Another deep research borehole is in Windischeschenbach / Germany, near the german-czech border. It´s purpose was also to research the continental crust and is 9101 m (9,1km) deep. The drilltower is 83m high. I think it was the deepest borehole of the worls until it was overtaken by the russian one.
DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 01:19 PM   #16
CharlieP

Likes (Received): 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian
Nature Structure:

In South Africa we have the Vredefort Cratre which was probably created by a huge meteorite and hit the plannet for 2,000 million years ago, and is today the largest cratre on earth which we know of. The meteorite created a cratre which was about 300km wide and 25km deep, which is about twise as deep as the deepest ocean depth in the world which is 11 025m deep.
Wow! Presumably it's full of water by now...?
Old August 6th, 2004, 12:56 PM   #17
jwiedey

Likes (Received):

This is all kids' stuff. In 1960, men went to the deepest place on Earth - the bottom of the Marianas Trench 35,813 ft down!

http://seawifs.gsfc.nasa.gov/OCEAN_P..._how_deep.html
Old August 12th, 2004, 08:14 AM   #18
federal
No Fiscal crisis...

The deepest structure now is now in the Philippines. It is the Malampaya natural gas pipeline located at Palawan, About 500 miles southwest of Manila.
federal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2004, 12:15 PM   #19
scar
f a i r l i g h t

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiedey
This is all kids' stuff. In 1960, men went to the deepest place on Earth - the bottom of the Marianas Trench 35,813 ft down!

pff... i once digged a hole to china
Old September 7th, 2004, 03:45 PM   #20
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shado
Given that American submarines use nuclear reactors and have no need to recharge batteries externally..... I think it's safe to say there isn't a coherent fact in any of it....
Actually you are wrong and it is a proven fact that the Exmouth antennae array was used to recharge submarine batteries. They were part of the harold hold naval base built in the 50s or 60s to aid submarines using the pacific. Pine Gap was built more recently with vastly superior equipment and is located in a strategic central position within Australia.

BTW that 1km down refers to the actual facility not the radar station. The radar station is expected to go much deeper. Meaning that the Pine Gap facility houses offices and related habitable space deep under the surface to help prevent crippling the facility in a nuclear or teslar strike.

The conspiracy theories do exist and who says what is real but it is expected that the pine gap installation, the exmouth deep sea relay station and the jindalee OTH radar facility all contain deep ultra-low frequency emission antennaes.

Believe what you want with respect to Teslar weapons and vaults of data stored at Antarctica but Pine Gap is real and it contains deep dug out aerial installations - how deep we dont know. I don't doubt they are in fact 8km down what they are used for is anyone's guess. All I can say though is the US and Australia have poured alot of time and energy into a facility that very little is known about - it can't only be used for satelitte control, intelligence and communications gathering, it simply must have a higher purpose too.

Last edited by Avatar; September 7th, 2004 at 03:56 PM.
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote