daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Singapore Skyscraper Forum > The Urban Fabric > Heritage Buildings

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 14th, 2010, 09:10 AM   #1
vylkarie

Likes (Received): 0

Singapore ART DECO ARCHITECTURE BOOK

Hi everyone, I'm writing my thesis on the changing presence of the popularity in Art Deco Architectural style in Singapore from the past to the present. Any information shared here will be very useful. Please share and feel free to post any Art Deco building's location and information here. You will be credited in my thesis and as well as in the published book that I hope to write after i graduate
vylkarie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 14th, 2010, 10:02 AM   #2
sarikasingha

Awarding architectural excellence!

Calling all aspiring architects! The Emerson Cup 2010 is offering you the chance to make an impression on all your peers. The Emerson Cup rewards efforts taken towards increasing energy efficiency and decreasing the size of the carbon footprint in buildings. Students with the best projects will be awarded a cash prize! For further details, check these out – http://bit.ly/CupApp
sarikasingha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 07:04 PM   #3
vylkarie

So far this is what ive gathered. Any one can suggest anymore places? or correct me if im wrong abt any of these places.

Parkview Square at 600 North bridge Road:

Singapore Godown at Tagore Lane:
Balestier Road Seventh-Day Adventist Church:
White House ,Maxwell Road.Built in 1932 as the Customs House in the Art Deco style with sunburst motiffs.
Singapore Railway Station ,built in 1932 in a unique blend of Art Deco and Neo-Classical.
Clifford Pier

Hotel Rendezvous is in a style of Art Deco and Classical.The podium portion were actually pre-war shophouses intergrated into the tower portion.
Anglo-Chinese School (Barker Road)
abandoned old Ford Factory at Bukit Timah Road.
dentified another Art Deco Building ,the Capitol Theatre.
Yan Kit Swimming Pool.
two stone lion sculptures 'guarding' the entrance to the Bank of China Building.
The Great World City
Art Deco wall , Changi Prison ,built 1936.
Art Deco apartment blocks ,Tiong Bahru

They are Blocks Nos. 52 - 80 ,built by the Singapore Improvement Trust in the 1930s.They range from 2 to 6 storeys tall.
CDAC Building ,former Yuying school campus ,65 Tanjong Katong Road.
vylkarie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #4
Fir3blaze
Fir3blaze

Likes (Received): 4

Just some info,

Quote:
Originally Posted by vylkarie View Post
abandoned old Ford Factory at Bukit Timah Road.
The Old Ford Factory is no longer abandoned (facade restored as per original art deco style), it now houses the 'Memories at Old Ford Factory' exhibition on WW II Japanese Occupation. Maybe you should head down there and take a look.

What about the Asia Insurance building at Raffles place? Thought it looked like art deco.

Good luck with the thesis!
Fir3blaze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 07:14 PM   #5
expat35

Likes (Received): 1

I doubt this will come in time for your thesis but I only happened upon this thead just now. Anyway the topic looks interesting enough to continue.

Here are two former gems, worn and sadly delapidated:

They would qualify as Art Deco, wouldn't they?

See this thread for details about their location.
expat35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:21 PM   #6
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 40

Are they still in a dilapidated condition? I noticed that the second house, in orange, is meant to be conserved under the Master Plan.
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:14 PM   #7
expat35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafflesCity View Post
Are they still in a dilapidated condition?
I'm not sure. I took this pictures in late 2004 when I lived very close to these.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:18 PM   #8
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 40

I believe they should still be there then..I havent heard any news of this site or seen anything that would suggest a new development taking place...wanted to visit the site one night but it was way too dark
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 12:05 PM   #9
expat35

I happened upon this building this week: Hotel 81 at Rochor Road. I have no idea what colour the building had before hotel chain painted it in their customary colours but the pastel blue goes quite well with what I think qualifies as Art Deco architecture.

Old August 7th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #10
expat35

And of course no discussion about Art Deco architecture in Singapore could be complete without mentioning Parkview Square, the extremely well done New York-like Art Deco skyscraper of which no doubt dozens of pictures have been posted elsewhere in this forum.

Here are a few of mine. You should really see the interior though, especially the ground floor bar.

ETA: apologies if the pictures are excessively large or not rotated properly. I've done so in various ways (including editing in PhotoBucket) but I don't see the result yet.

Last edited by expat35; August 7th, 2011 at 01:35 PM.