daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 14th, 2010, 10:57 PM   #1
Perun

Likes (Received): 162

Warsaw - the capital of Poland

I made this thread to present my city, and capital of my country. I'd like to show Warsaw as modern and historic, nice and ugly. So, I hope You enjoy it

So, let's start...

1) Chopin Monument in Łazienki Park.

2) Monument of Henryk Sienkiewicz, a popular polish novelist and winner of Noble Prize in 1905.

3) Na Rozdrożu square

4) Na Rozdrożu square

5) Łazienkowska Route

6) Ujazdowskie Avenue. One of most important street in Warsaw. A lot of embassies are located here (including US), chancellery of polish Prime Minister

7) Ministry of Justice building

8) Ujazdowskie Avenue

9) I'm not sure, but this is probably Brittish embassy

10) It's also (probably ) Brittish embassy

11) Entrance to Ujazdowski Park

12) Embassy of Hungary

13) Bus stop on Ujazdowskie Avenue

14) Union of Polish Combatants building

15) Bicycle path along Ujazdowskie Avenue and some commie block

More pics soon...
Perun no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #2
Perun

And more photos. Still along Ujazdowskie Avenue

16) Ujazdowskie Avenue

17) Ujazdowskie Avenue

18) Ujazdowskie Avenue

19) Ujazdowskie Avenue

20) Ujazdowskie Avenue

Last edited by Perun; August 15th, 2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old August 15th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #3
Perun

Another pics. Now - Three Crosses Square

In next year Three Crosses Square will be rebuilt.

21)

22)

23)

24)

25)

26)

27)
Old August 15th, 2010, 06:42 AM   #4
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5287

Excellent pics. Last time I was in Warsaw, it was overcast - everything looks great in full sun. More please!
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2010, 10:48 AM   #5
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244319

Indeed great, very nice presentation and photos from Warsaw (so far); thank you for those photos
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2010, 02:23 PM   #6
Perun

28) Warsaw Stock Exchange building

29) Nice flowers

30) Emporio Armani shop and old bank under renovation

31) Charles de Gaulle Roundabout with palm tree It's popular meeting place "under palm tree"
Old August 15th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #7
arturro666
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

arturro666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2010, 10:15 PM   #8
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Makes me wonder what the hell I'm doing in Toronto.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 12:14 AM   #9
SimsPlanet2

Likes (Received): 279

Great city!
SimsPlanet2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 12:41 AM   #10
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
Makes me wonder what the hell I'm doing in Toronto.
Going back is hard if you haven't lived there for a while. I am in process of buying a new place and going in a potential business partnership there. I wasn't born there, so I'm filled with anxiety, because you really don't know what a place is like until you've lived there for a while. I know all the negatives and increasingly fewer positives in Toronto, but for me its a tough choice still - but having family there helps.
Old August 16th, 2010, 05:23 AM   #11
Andre_idol
Fluorescent Adolescent

Likes (Received): 430

Warsaw, and rest of Poland, are actually the places that I most look forward to visit...and probably study there

Your photos look amazing!
Old August 16th, 2010, 05:38 AM   #12
ufonut
Atlantyda

Likes (Received): 1732

Just wait till he posts the remaining ones...
Old August 19th, 2010, 09:01 AM   #13
rychlik
BANNED

Not hijacking this thread but would like to share some images from a new 3D film produced for the Warsaw Uprising Museum. These images were compiled from historical photographs. The devastation brought on by Germans is shocking.

Old August 19th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #14
miamipaintball

Likes (Received): 50

many German cities looked like that after ww2, better put many European cities,

the pics of berlin after ww2 are astonishing
miamipaintball no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 05:46 PM   #15
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Yes they did look pretty bad, but Warsaw was obliterated, the level of destruction exceeded 85%, and cultural landmarks with treasures of Polish culture were deliberately targetted. In addition 850,000 were killed mostly in the streets (non-Jews) and in the Jewish ghetto. The attacks on Germany were about revenge and subduing Germany whereas on Warsaw it was about cultural annihilation and ethnic cleansing.

But there is a more suitable thread for this type of discussion (rychlik and miamipaintball) which we can continue at:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...187906&page=22
Old August 19th, 2010, 08:21 PM   #16
ufonut
Atlantyda

Likes (Received): 1732

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamipaintball View Post
many German cities looked like that after ww2, better put many European cities,

the pics of berlin after ww2 are astonishing
Not really. Many people falsely assume that these pictures show Warsaw after being bombed which is not entirely true. They show Warsaw after the city's entire quarters were dynamited or set ablaze by German SS troops. It was a deliberate and systematic destruction building by building hence it can't be compared to any indiscrinate bombing as bad as they were (Rotterdam, Coventry, Dresden etc).
Old August 19th, 2010, 08:34 PM   #17
rychlik
BANNED

850,000 were killed

-Urbanista I have never heard this figure. It's too high and horrific. The official murder of Polish civilians was 250,000. The rest were expelled from the city.
Old August 19th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #18
JValjean

Likes (Received): 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
The attacks on Germany were about revenge and subduing Germany whereas on Warsaw it was about cultural annihilation...
I do believe that the destruction of historical, often times medevial city centres of German cities like Frankfurt, Dresden, Nuremberg, Lübeck, Würzburg, Magdeburg etc had to do something with cultural annihialtion.

You Poles still have got your undestroyed Krakow. In Germany every city of a certain importance had been attacked by the RAF. And in most of the cases it was the hiostorc city centre that was destroyed!

Our Krakow was Nuremberg. The biggest "old town" north of the alps! Or Frankfurt the city with the most half-timbered houses in the world back then!

But all of this is off-topic. The pictures on top of this thread are great ...

Last edited by JValjean; August 19th, 2010 at 09:11 PM.
JValjean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 11:45 PM   #19
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Yes, we do have Krakow, but every other city centre - Poznan, Gdansk, Wroclaw, Lublin was likewise obliterated. It is appalling what happened to German cities of course, but what we are saying is that Warsaw was unqiue - it was literally dynamited and levelled with the ground. Nazis then used flamethrowers to burn anything of value, especially targetting art treasures and library collections. British and Allied soldiers didn't land and then methodically destroy what was left though, all the damage was done by the RAF from the air in retaliation for Coventry, London etc.

The Załuski Library, the oldest public library in Poland and one of the oldest and most important libraries in Europe, was burned down and out of about 400,000 printed items, maps and manuscripts, only some 1,800 manuscripts and 30,000 printed materials survived. The collections of the Krasiński Library was also largely destroyed. The collection originally consisted of 250,000 items and was literally the repository of 1,000 years of Polish culture, but also had European collections.

Unlike Germany, Poland and the East Bloc had to face the Soviet scourge after WWII which spent the next few decades destroying or at least degrading even more treasures. Nowa Huta steel mill was built next to Krakow so that the caustic emissions would gradually destroy the surviving city landmarks - yes, this was actual soviet policy. I witnessed the results in the mid-80's, many facades were in very bad shape.

Anyway, I know we are digressing, but it is a fascinating subject. From my travels, I had the sense that Heidelberg, also very beautiful and Munich were hardly damaged and what about Aachen and Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Cologne Cathedral did survive, efforts to destroy it failed thankfully. Please correct me if I am wrong. The biggest tragedy was Dresden.

It would be great if both sides could organize a cultural exchange to better understand what had happened on both sides, to get the various perspectives. I know such things happen on a small scale. I do sincerely understand how catastrophic WWII was for Germany.
Old August 20th, 2010, 12:29 AM   #20
JValjean

Likes (Received): 232

Quote:
Unlike Germany, Poland and the East Bloc had to face the Soviet scourge after WWII
Germany lost its eastern territories as Poland had been "pushed" westwards by the allies as you know. You lost Lwów and some other cities and we lost Danzig, Breslau, Königsberg. Of course Gdansk and Wroclaw are Polish now and will stay Polish! (altogether 12 million Germans fled or were expelled in central and eastern Europe).

Quote:
From my travels, I had the sense that Heidelberg, also very beautiful and Munich were hardly damaged and what about Aachen and Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Cologne Cathedral did survive, efforts to destroy it failed thankfully. Please correct me if I am wrong. The biggest tragedy was Dresden.
The RAF attacked 160 German cities. Among these also figured Rothenburg o.d. Tauber. But it wasn't hit that badly and could be rebuilt after the war.

Munich in contrast was that largely destroyed that the city council thought about abandonning the ruined city and to reconstruct a new city 15 miles away!
This plan fortunately was withdrawn and Munich did a good job, probably the best of all western German cities in reconstructing important landmarks, churches and palaces and so on. Cologne and many other (west) German cities did a horrible job!

Dresden is just the most famous city. Even after Dresden ancient cities had been attacked: Würzburg and Pforzheim (98% destruction of the city, 18000 of 70000 inhabitants died)

Excuse all these digressions but I just wanted to show some german "anecdotes"

Quote:
It would be great if both sides could organize a cultural exchange to better understand what had happened on both sides, to get the various perspectives. I know such things happen on a small scale. I do sincerely understand how catastrophic WWII was for Germany.
I think this is already in progress. A role model is the German-French reconciliation which was also done via student exchanges.

Anyway I think that Poland today is in a comfortable postion. It's a quite big country, even a bit bigger than Germany and it has got a lot of coast area and the economy is doing quit well, too!

But from time to time it seems that (a part of) the Polish society is still too much haunted by old demons: fundamental catholicism (radio marja), anti-German and anti-russian nationalism (kaczinsky brothers), generally understandable but in my eyes it's often disproportionate, dated and counterproductive for the inter-european co-operation!
JValjean no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
warsaw