daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2010, 06:55 AM   #41
just_a_guy
Wait, what!?

Likes (Received): 209

Which is your 'cruising' speed on a motorway?

Well, a lot of mexican highways aren't very safe (at least where i've been) so i'd say a good cruise speed here for me is usually 100km/h - 110. In a hurry 120 - 130.

What about a normal 1+1 highway?

Well I usually do 100 km/h which is pretty fast because it's on shoulderless narrow laned 1x2 highways with usually bad pavement. But then again, many people (like my dad) do 130 on these. And then you're on a curvy mountain road doing 110 and you find a truck going 30 - 40 km/h due to the fact that their loads are to heavy (No one respects truck weight restrictions here)

How fast have you ever gone on a motorway?

135 km/h. You just can't go that fast in most Mexican highways. Only in some of the newer highways but then even those usually lack left shoulders.
just_a_guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2010, 11:00 PM   #42
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Which is your 'cruising' speed on a motorway?
110-130 km/h

Quote:
What about a normal 1+1 highway?
90-100 km/h

Quote:
How fast have you ever gone on a motorway?
~190 km/h in... Switzerland.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 11:05 PM   #43
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
~190 km/h in... Switzerland.
Do you know how high are the fines in Switzerland?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 11:29 PM   #44
Verso
Islander

I was in a hurry... every morning. :P
Old August 24th, 2010, 11:44 PM   #45
WonderlandPark
nomadist

Likes (Received): 478

people like Sububanist are as dangerous as the high rate speeders, IMO. you should never be driving so that you stack up big traffic behind you. I hope you pull over to allow them to pass.
Old August 25th, 2010, 12:02 AM   #46
lpioe

Likes (Received): 18

I used to drive about 20 kph above the speed limit, so 140 on motorways and 100 on rural roads.
But since I got a 500$ fine for 25 kph too much I try to never go more than 10 kph above the limit.

3ds Max Script to create stadium stands for given c-values

my stadium designs (all WIP / unfinished...)

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

lpioe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #47
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2113

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
people like Sububanist are as dangerous as the high rate speeders, IMO. you should never be driving so that you stack up big traffic behind you. I hope you pull over to allow them to pass.
You serious? Since when drivers that stick to the rules are dangerous?? Probably since there are drivers that don't stick to the rules. But this isn't law-abiding drivers' fault...
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 12:38 AM   #48
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

First rule of all is to keep right as much as possible. It's not up to you to enforce another to keep to the maximum speed just by staying in the left lane by driving at the limited speed. There are enough speed limits which are just for "environmental reasons" which are totally bogus and do not comply to the design caracteristics of the road. So yes, drivers sticking to the speed limit can be very dangerous.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 01:53 AM   #49
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

I'm not here to enforce anything, since I am not the Police, but there are some cases in which my driving might be slightly damaged by those speeding.

Practical example.
Two lane highway, limit 130. Me in the right lane @ 130. Car in front of me @ 110. Car behind me @ 140.
We are all approaching, such that we will both meet at the same point. This means that I will have to slow down to let the speeder pass, then move on the left lane and get back from 110 to 130.
I like to keep a nice km/l ratio, and keeping a constant speed is the best way. So, I don't want to slow down, and I start to pass. The speeder has to slow down to 130: I don't mind, the problem is not mine. He cannot protest since he is going against the law, and I am not.
I am the one who bothers to respect the law, and I have more rights of those who don't bother.

Of course this is a very specific case. I can calculate precisely the different speeds of vehicles around me, so I'm not likely to get in the way if speeders could pass me without obliging me to slow down.
And, of course, this example does not work if I am not driving at the maximum permitted speed: that would be a plain violation of lane discipline.

Unluckily, most people cannot calculate that well speeds, spaces and times. I often get annoyed by drivers getting in front of me in the left lane, while I could had been passing without obliging them to slow down.
In extreme cases, if keeping a safe distance is possible, I will simply pass on the right.

Sorry, but the point "drivers sticking to the speed limit can be very dangerous" is unacceptable. If the speed limit is really too low, people must protest with the authorities, and not those who stick to what the Law says. In any case, speeding is an "enforcing on my own".
It is very frustrating when you are one the few who cares about being respectful, and people decide that 1) they must behave on their own decisions, and 2) if you don't stick to their decisione you're a moron. Just like they own the whole place...

You can say that you don't agree with the Law, but you cannot say that those obeying it are wrong. That is a bad form of arrogance towards people, and what is more, is just a waste of energy which you could use to get the Law changed.

This morning I had a similar argument with an old man. I was driving 50 in a 50 zone, and I don't mind if we're in the middle of a desert: I don't want radar surprises. There's no rule tellling me to go faster, and anyway, I cannot do it.
He flashed and honked in a very rude way, and what is really ridiculous, we were less than 0,5 km from the supermarket where we were both heading to. What kind of time saving would that have been??

Then, inside the supermarket, he went back on complaining about the finger he received and claiming an unspecified Law by which "people must drive faster than the limit if possible" true italian style
Nice speech, from a man not respecting the safe distance, using the left blinker inside the roundabout, turning left to enter the market with NO blinker at all and, grand finale, getting in the parking in plain wrong way... such a precise driver, and pretending to give Road Law lessons
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 05:13 AM   #50
WonderlandPark
nomadist

Likes (Received): 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
You serious? Since when drivers that stick to the rules are dangerous?? Probably since there are drivers that don't stick to the rules. But this isn't law-abiding drivers' fault...
yeah, I am serious, that guy in the tunnel overtaking may have been breaking the law, but YOU would probably be involved in a wreck and injured. If someone on a 1+1 road wants to overtake, let them. And, even if you are going the speed limit exactly, if you are blocking many vehicles from travelling faster, you are simply an *******
Old August 25th, 2010, 05:26 AM   #51
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
And, even if you are going the speed limit exactly, if you are blocking many vehicles from travelling faster, you are simply an *******
Ok. Good. Can we see this "******* Act" written in any official paper?

Shall we remeber that the Law is above personal opinions?
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #52
bogdymol
bogdymod

You should all come to Eastern Europe and you will see that speed limits are just "informative". If someone drives 50 km/h inside a village on a main road everyone will pass him (including trucks+trailers)!
Old August 25th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #53
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

My goodness. This is complete madness.
Old August 25th, 2010, 01:44 PM   #54
bogdymol
bogdymod

Just watch this video
Old August 25th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #55
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
You should all come to Eastern Europe and you will see that speed limits are just "informative". If someone drives 50 km/h inside a village on a main road everyone will pass him (including trucks+trailers)!
This is not the case in Estonia. Even though there are people who would drive 70km/h+ in a village with a speed limit of 50km/h, few will overtake you inside the village if you drive 55km/h(which I mostly do). This does not apply for Russian trucks, though...fortunately there aren't that many on our roads.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 03:47 PM   #56
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
And, even if you are going the speed limit exactly, if you are blocking many vehicles from travelling faster, you are simply an *******
If you do that, you're preventing real *******s to go against the law. You should be regarded as a hero.
Old August 25th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #57
Capt.Vimes
Да живее България!

Likes (Received): 13165

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
If you do that, you're preventing real *******s to go against the law. You should be regarded as a hero.
But if they go faster speed cameras can take nice pictures and then the state will have more money.Driving faster also means more fuel will be consumed, which means more VAT and excise tax. So if you block them you are robbing the state budget and thus undermining the whole economy.
Capt.Vimes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 04:09 PM   #58
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

You're right. They can cause car accidents and deaths too, so I'd be depriving car repair shops and undertakers of an income source
Old August 25th, 2010, 05:32 PM   #59
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
This is not the case in Estonia. Even though there are people who would drive 70km/h+ in a village with a speed limit of 50km/h, few will overtake you inside the village if you drive 55km/h(which I mostly do). This does not apply for Russian trucks, though...fortunately there aren't that many on our roads.
Same here. Few people drive just 50 km/h on main roads through villages, but even fewer will actually overtake you, if you do. Our roads aren't particularly wide anyway.
Old August 25th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #60
EEH
разбирач :))

Likes (Received): 8216

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I have driven about 600 km in Romania and have the opposite impression. I was even quite annoyed to stick to the 50-60 and 80-90 km/h limits because of the huge fines I was told about by my Romanian fellow in the front car (we were 6 people in two cars with the Romanian leading ahead). Very few cars overtook me. I made great fuel savings though.
EEH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorway