daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 25th, 2010, 05:53 PM   #61
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEH View Post
I have driven about 600 km in Romania and have the opposite impression. I was even quite annoyed to stick to the 50-60 and 80-90 km/h limits because of the huge fines I was told about by my Romanian fellow in the front car (we were 6 people in two cars with the Romanian leading ahead). Very few cars overtook me. I made great fuel savings though.
Fines are high (not huge) in Romania, but only compared with a Romanian wage. If you compare Romanian fines with a western-country fine you will see that fines in Romania are pocket-money compared to those.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #62
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Fines are high (not huge) in Romania, but only compared with a Romanian wage. If you compare Romanian fines with a western-country fine you will see that fines in Romania are pocket-money compared to those.
That's why you can see video's of Romanian, Bulgarian, and Polish drivers drive like mad mans on youtube , But I never saw them speeding here in Belgium. The people of east europe drive like angles on our roads...
And people come to here for the jobs no one wants... They say they can renovate their whole house by just working two months in fruit Industry!!!! You can buy a shitty thirt hand motercycle for that here
joshsam está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #63
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
That's why you can see video's of Romanian, Bulgarian, and Polish drivers drive like mad mans on youtube , But I never saw them speeding here in Belgium. The people of east europe drive like angles on our roads...
And people come to here for the jobs no one wants... They say they can renovate their whole house by just working two months in fruit Industry!!!! You can buy a shitty thirt hand motercycle for that here
They don't have to reach Belgium to drive like angels. I live in Romania near the Hungarian border and I see that they are angels from the first km of Hungarian road. Sometimes they are so freaked out of the fines that they drive 10 km/h below the speed limit. I hate those!
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #64
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Quote:
They don't have to reach Belgium to drive like angels. I live in Romania near the Hungarian border and I see that they are angels from the first km of Hungarian road. Sometimes they are so freaked out of the fines that they drive 10 km/h below the speed limit. I hate those!
Fines in Belgium:

10 km/h over speedlimit: 50euro (to pay immidatly, otherwise your car will be impounded)

more than 10km/h: +10euro for every km/h faster
20km/h over speedlimit: 150euro (to pay immidatly, otherwise your car will be impounded) + risking to pay 1375 euro for court.

30km/h over speed limit or driving over a full line: 250 euro (to pay immidatly, otherwise your car will be impounded) Now you'll need to apear for court and you'll pay between 1375 euro and 2750 euro and the risk of losing your drivers license for 8-10 days.

Driving over 40km/h faster then the limit leads to losing your ability to drive for several weeks to months or even a year.

Other fines:

Violation of first degree: 50
Violation of second degree: 100(losing your drivers license for 8-10 days)
Violation of thirth degree: 150(losing your drivers license for #weeks)
Violatin of fourth degree: 300(losing you drivers license)

All violations (excluding speed <10) go to court and you'll pay 1375 to 2750 euro for that...

And as a young person like me (between 18- 25) and in the first two years of driving: when you make a single mistake you'll lose your drivers license immediately and you'll need to get another one and you'll need to follow expensive driving lessons.
joshsam está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 11:50 PM   #65
Capt.Vimes
Да живее България!

Likes (Received): 13136

In Bulgaria it was recently announced that more than 150 thousand drivers will lose their driving licenses for at least a month for violations (mainly speeding) of traffic law during the holiday season. Lets hope that will raise the share of angels on the road.
Capt.Vimes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 11:54 PM   #66
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Quote:
Which is your 'cruising' speed on a motorway?

140km/h mostly in the left lane seems to be the norm while in "traffic" ... usually settle myself for some "confy" 160 km/h when not in traffic (speed limit here is 120km/h by the way)

sidenote: my brother usually goes like 80/90 whiel in traffic (gcomits the error of snicking to tthose iresistible fool-teasing spots in the right lane and then can't crawl out to the left due t the speedy left lane traffic) ... while out of traffic he usually goes 160/180/20/220 ... whatever the car can deliver ... or how high the passengers let him go before they start bitching about speeding.

Quote:
What about a normal 1+1 highway?
bad routes I usually don' surpass 90/120 ... good roads without traffic i go as far as 140/160 km/h (like some southern roads 40km long without any traffic at all ... who needs limits?)

Quote:
How fast have you ever gone on a motorway?
297km/h measured on the display of an "improved" Subaru Impresa ... 270km/h in a Ferrari.

223km/h in my mothers "Citroen AX ten" (don't ask how I managed that)
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 12:20 AM   #67
EEH
разбирач :))

Likes (Received): 8216

Quote:
The Romanian told me I could pay a 200 EUR fine if caught for speeding and I didn't want to "wreck" my trip. He may have lied to me but I didn't want to verify his words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
Fines in Belgium:
Impressive!

Note that Belgium is quite a small country and you will not gain much time if speeding. In bigger countries, like Germany, you have the alternative to use a train that goes with 200+ km/h or in France, even 300+ km/h. So, speeding is not justified at all in case you are in a hurry or just want to save time.

In Eastern Europe you have your car and that's it. Trains are slow. In Bulgaria, buses were quite fast going with 120-140 km/h in the past but recenly the control over them became more strict and now they can't afford to go with more than 100 - also slow.

Last edited by EEH; August 26th, 2010 at 12:27 AM.
EEH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:27 AM   #68
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Even a 200 km/h train can be slower than the car in the end. Not everybody lives at a train station and has his/her destination nearby one. We all know the average speed of trains during rush hour is faster than a car on the motorway, yet overall the car is faster.

This is exactly the problem with politicians, they only look at the speed of the train, not the overall trip. You have to get to the train station, wait, change trains perhaps, then get to your destination.

Example; I had a girlfriend that lived 20 km from Groningen while I lived in Zwolle. Both cities are approximately 100 km apart, and the train requires 57 minutes to get from Zwolle to Groningen. Yet, due to additional transport to and from stations, my overall travel time was 2.5 hours by train and 1 hour 15 minutes by car. The choice isn't very hard then if you have the option of a car. Even if the train would travel at double speed (280 km/h) it would still be 45 minutes longer.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:36 AM   #69
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2110

Well, obviously fast trains are the right choice if you are a businessman traveling, say, frome Rome to Milan. Traveling by plane can take longer (going to the airport, being there more than 1 houre before the opening of the gate, collecting baggages at your arrival).

Train can be the only choice if you don't own a car, or if you work far from home (then the car becomes way more expensive than the train).

BTW: do you know of any website like "clinched highways" but dedicated to train travel?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #70
i15

Likes (Received): 612

fines in Slovakia:

11 -20 kph over speed limit: 50 €
21 - 30 kph : 100 €
31 - 40 kph : 200 €
41 - 50 kph : 300 €
51 - 60 kph : 400 €
61 - 70 kph : 500 €
more than 70 over speed limit: 650 €

it's quite much, considering the fact, that average net sallary is 570 € / month

On motorways, I usually drive 110-130kph and on rural roads, I'm keeping the "limit+10kph on speedometer" rule. When the conditions are really good, I drive at speed limit+20kph. My top speed was around 150kph (in 75HP Clio... I didn't feel very safe )
i15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #71
EEH
разбирач :))

Likes (Received): 8216

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Even a 200 km/h train can be slower than the car in the end. Not everybody lives at a train station and has his/her destination nearby one. We all know the average speed of trains during rush hour is faster than a car on the motorway, yet overall the car is faster.

This is exactly the problem with politicians, they only look at the speed of the train, not the overall trip. You have to get to the train station, wait, change trains perhaps, then get to your destination.

Example; I had a girlfriend that lived 20 km from Groningen while I lived in Zwolle. Both cities are approximately 100 km apart, and the train requires 57 minutes to get from Zwolle to Groningen. Yet, due to additional transport to and from stations, my overall travel time was 2.5 hours by train and 1 hour 15 minutes by car. The choice isn't very hard then if you have the option of a car. Even if the train would travel at double speed (280 km/h) it would still be 45 minutes longer.
Exactly my point. 100km is not a long distance and using a car on a motorway will deffinitely be faster if the start/end points are not close to train stations. So, no need of speeding above the limits. How about a distance of 400-500 km? 1000?
EEH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 04:35 PM   #72
the glimpser
Asean Urbanite

Likes (Received): 54

Just sharing a net find..

World's 10 fastest roads

Quote:
While most people are terrified when it comes to speed, to some, it gives the thrill and exhilaration they desire.

For those who enjoy the thrill of driving fast, the news site Huffington Post compiled a list of the 10 fastest roads in the world:

1) Autobahn
Germany

The Autobahn is perfect for drivers with souped up cars made for speed.

The Autobahn has no speed limit although there is a recommended speed of 130 kilometers per hour (kph).

As it tops the list of the world's fastest roads, it seems no surprise that about two million accidents happen here each year.

(2) Isle of Man rural roads

A ‘lawless’ place that laughs at laws and regulation, Isle of Man's rural roads have no speed limits.

Here, anyone can unleash his long time desire of ’living through speeding.’

(3) Arizona Route 79
United States

With the combination of Arizona’s arid climate and dry soil, route 79 is the ideal highway to speed through.

Cars that zoom through this highway usually break the 90 miles per hour (mph) barrier, making it one of the fastest roads of the US.

(4) Austin-San Antonio
United States

(5) United Arab Emirates highways

(6) Montana's Interstates
United States

(7) Mumbai-Pune Expressway
India

(8) Autostradas of Poland

(9) Slovakia's Highways

10) Northern Territory Highways
Australia
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story...-fastest-roads
the glimpser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #73
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

from 300 km +, highspeed train is better than car, from 800km +, plane is better than high speed train.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #74
Dolph

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
from 300 km +, highspeed train is better than car, from 800km +, plane is better than high speed train.
For the 300km trip I can't agree, I like driving more then riding for this kind of distance.
Dolph no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #75
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There are much more variables to consider besides distance. The car can even be viable at 2.000 kilometers if you stay somewhere long and want to be mobile on location. (renting a car for a prolonged period can be too expensive).
Old September 19th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #76
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2110

Quote:
There are much more variables to consider besides distance. The car can even be viable at 2.000 kilometers if you stay somewhere long and want to be mobile on location. (renting a car for a prolonged period can be too expensive).
Yes but if you're on vacation you'd throw in the basket 2 or 3 full days only for the trip...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #77
Dolph

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Yes, you are correct. I have traveled from Chicago to Denver 15-16hrs in Honda Odyssey and it was great. I didn't felt tired, even though I didn't slept.

Here in BG I drive 50-70kph in cities according to driving law.
100-110kph on 1-1 highway
130-160kph on motorways

Last edited by Dolph; September 19th, 2012 at 05:22 PM.
Dolph no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #78
ChrisZwolle
Road user

On most daily trips, travel time is considered to be most critical. That is why the overwhelming majority of travel in Europe is by passenger car. If you're going on a business trip, time is still of the essence, and that's where high-speed rail and airplanes come in handy.

On vacation trips, travel time is less important, and family vacations by train are very expensive so nearly nobody does that. Families use the plane for destinations which cannot be reached by car or when driving takes so much time it's not worth it.

Another problem for most mid-range destinations in Europe is that door-to-door travel times by airplane is not that much shorter than by car (say up to 1000 km), and buying 3 or 4 train tickets is too expensive and luggage is a problem. That's why the roads are filled with holiday traffic in the summer.
Old September 19th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #79
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

Travel comparisons should always be door-to-door. That is where people are going. And until some form of PRT (personal rapit transit) becomes ubiquitous, the "last mile" issue will always be problematic, since even a car crawling at average 20km/h is much faster than walking, waiting+riding+walking from a tram etc.
Old September 19th, 2012, 05:48 PM   #80
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

of course if there are at least 2-3 persons in a car, car is the most economical.

More on thread topic, would it be possible to build a motorway designed for 200 kmh, where driving at this speed would be as safe as at 130 kmh? (wider lanes, left shoulders, trucks ban...?)
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorway