daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 19th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #81
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2101

At 200 km/h first thing is not lane width but curve radii.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #82
Dolph

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
of course if there are at least 2-3 persons in a car, car is the most economical.

More on thread topic, would it be possible to build a motorway designed for 200 kmh, where driving at this speed would be as safe as at 130 kmh? (wider lanes, left shoulders, trucks ban...?)
Even if they are build, who is going to drive on them? Majority of people drive small cars(Polo's, Clio's, Fiesta's etc), some drive super mini, my car has top speed 190km/h for example. Over 160 i feel the engine is a lot noisier, thirstier etc. No need of 200km/h motorways in my eyes.
Dolph no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #83
Dolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
At 200 km/h first thing is not lane width but curve radii.
The majority of cars are not able to reach this speed or maintain it. The oil will boil, tires will shred and the fuel consumption will skyrocket.
I don't want to think what teenagers in Eastern European countries will do with speed limit of 200km/h, loose traffic control and cars barely able to reach 200km/h
Old September 19th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #84
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
On vacation trips, travel time is less important
That's true, if you're going somewhere for a long time (like on the seaside), but not, if you have many destinations. When tourists come to Europe, they usually take planes between cities, not trains or buses.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #85
mubd
Maglev Bus to Matraville!

Likes (Received): 951

I got booked for doing 105km/h in a 110km/h zone.
mubd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #86
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

i'm talking about the future. Some cars are capable of doing and mainteining 200kmh, maybe in the future there will be more of them. Of course acces to such motorway would be restricted by age of driver, horse power... Traveling by car hasnt change much since first motorways openings.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #87
Dolph

Quote:
i'm talking about the future. Some cars are capable of doing and mainteining 200kmh, maybe in the future there will be more of them. Of course acces to such motorway would be restricted by age of driver, horse power... Traveling by car hasnt change much since first motorways openings.
Can you imagine the law suites against the government for discrimination-age, horse power etc.
Old September 19th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #88
hofburg
middle lane hogger

what? even today in some countries you have to drive slower than limits if you are beginer driver, there are extra lanes for slow vehicles...
Old September 19th, 2012, 09:44 PM   #89
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Excluding drivers over, say, 65 because of their age (as opposed to their skill level) would certainly be illegal in the U.S.

But the idea of 200 km/h highways is ridiculous anyway, until we can come up with cars that don't depend on turning finite amounts of more-and-more-expensive fuel into pollution. Just go to the Nürburgring once in a while and get it out of your system.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #90
hofburg
middle lane hogger

I personally don't like speeding. It's just that travelling by car is relatively slow for longer distances, so I wonder how to make travelling times shorter.
Old September 19th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #91
Angelos

Likes (Received): 447

The optimal cruising speed for me (if the weather is good and the traffic is low) is about 150-160 km/h on Motorways.
Angelos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 11:14 PM   #92
Dolph

Quote:
what? even today in some countries you have to drive slower than limits if you are beginer driver, there are extra lanes for slow vehicles...
What is a beginner driver? Lets say I'm 40 and got my license 5 months ago, how fast can I go in the countries you talk about? Am I a beginner or I'm responsible adult?
I know a guy 22yrs old with category C+E (for trucks) and Tkt, driving contruction bouldozer and having license for less then 2 years, how fast would this person be allowed to drive?
Old September 19th, 2012, 11:32 PM   #93
hofburg
middle lane hogger

you are beginer driver in Slovenia.

I know for example in Croatia every younger than 24 driver have to drive 10kmh less than the limit for particular type of road (80 instead of 90 for outside city...)
Old September 20th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #94
Stahlsturm

Likes (Received): 36

At home in Germany there's usually too much traffic to go faster than my cruising speed of around 160 kmh. In extreme situations I can (and have) gone up to 220 kmh as well. On country roads, especially one's I don't know I tend to drive about the speed limit or slightly (= < 20) over.
Outside Germany, with all those pesky speed limits I usually try to not go more than 20 over a posted limit. As a general rule I "run with the pack".

When I'm in the US or Canada I learned that cops will leave you alone as long as you stay under a 20 mph margin above any posted speed limit although I have driven much faster there too. I crossed the USA East to West in 1999 and frequently drove my rental Toyota for long stretches just under the shut-off point of 115 mph.
Stahlsturm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 09:18 AM   #95
Dolph

Quote:

I know for example in Croatia every younger than 24 driver have to drive 10kmh less than the limit for particular type of road (80 instead of 90 for outside city...)
These are good rules for beginners. Do they apply to other EU citizen(BG licenses), just curious.
Old September 20th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #96
Capt.Vimes
Да живее България!

Likes (Received): 13078

Quote:

So instead of having all vehicles on the road driving with the same speed, so no overtaking is needed you add slower traffic and thus increase the risk for an accident. And how do you enforce such a measure, police radars can detect speed, but how can they tell if the driver inside is younger or older than 24?
Capt.Vimes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 03:29 PM   #97
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

On long trips (>100 km) I am very comfortable driving between 160 and 180 km/h, though I have occasionally gone further. I've only breaken the 200 km/h mark in Germany though, and always with very little traffic.
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 03:29 PM   #98
hofburg
middle lane hogger

ask Croatians maybe they have some sticker on the car, like the French do for example.
Old September 20th, 2012, 05:12 PM   #99
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

We used to have a law in Spain which prohibited drivers with less than 1 year of experience from exceeding 80 km/h. These drivers were identified with a big green "L" stuck to the rear screen of their car.

That law was recently abolished, but big green "L" is still mandatory.
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #100
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I think these laws for beginners are stupid. It only annoys other drivers who are behind them.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorway