daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 20th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #101
bogdymol
bogdymod

In Romania a beginner driver is considered that one who has got his driving license for less than a year. He has to drive -10 km/h (-20 km/h on motorways) slower than the posted speed limit. They can be identified by the "fools sign" which is an exclamation mark on a yellow background. He has to put it on the front and rear window of the car.

It's enough just one sign, not 100...
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #102
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

What a humiliation.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #103
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1821

In Estonia, a beginner's license lasts for 2 years during which you are not allowed to exceed 90km/h and must have a sign of a green maple leaf on both the front and rear window (or somewhere else where it's cleary visible):
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #104
koynov

Likes (Received): 111

Which is your 'cruising' speed on a motorway?
130-160 km. it depend from the highway

What about a normal 1+1 highway?
90-120km

How fast have you ever gone on a motorway?
195 km
koynov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 01:04 AM   #105
Dolph

Likes (Received): 0

No one is answering the question: what if EU driver from another member state with less the a 1 year experience drives in your country? Is it possible to be fined?For example if Bulgarian drives in Romania or Estonia.
(My nephew has license for about 1 year and he is 20 years old.)
Dolph no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 02:18 AM   #106
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

I think the law applies for citizens of particular country only. (not sure though)
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 03:41 AM   #107
Ocean Railroader
The Railroad Anomily

Likes (Received): 5

In the US state of Virginia you can go as fast as the speed limit is as soon as you get your learners permit.

The Old Speed limit in Virginia used to be 65 miles on hour in till Governor Bob McDowell raised the state speed limit to 70 miles on hour. Most of the roads with 65 mile on hour speed limits where raised to 70 which allows a lot of people to go 75 miles on hour which is good in that a lot of people when 75 miles on hour before this happened.
Ocean Railroader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 04:28 AM   #108
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Depends on traffic situation and whether I'm cruising or in a hurry.

Cruising:
During daytime I prefer to cruise 130-140 km/h if the situation allows it.
At night I usually set my cruise control at 160-170km/h ( I have a good month) or 100-110km/h ( I'm nearly broke and saving fuel)...

Hurry:
At night, I usually drive pedal to the medal which means speeds that will make me lose my license for ages , during daytime&hurry it means usually constant accelerating and braking and speeds between 90-160 km/h due to traffic.

My general rule is Vmax + 10 or 20...

1x2 roads ( 1+1) : I like 110-120km/h, but generally drive only 90 due to many many speed traps...

Fastest ?
243 on motorway in a mates car, only 223 in my own ( top speed)...
190 on a 1+1 road before I got paranoia for laser guns and braked to 130 quickly to be in the ''safe for license'' speeds again.

Quote:
At 200 km/h first thing is not lane width but curve radii.
Yes and no, of course I live in Holland with pretty much no bends on the motorways aorund here, and I understand why I can't go bomb down a twisty motorway at 200+ km/h all the time.
But wider lanes means you have more play room if something goes wrong, you have more space to regain control, evade someone, more room for steering mistakes and corrections, etcetc...

The new A2 for example between A'dam and Utrecht with it's avg. speed camera's and 100km/h limit, driving 220+ there at night on a nearly empty road, driving in the middle lane of a well lit, 5 lane wide + hard shoulders on both sides), flat & straight motorway means you have extremely much space to play with if something goes wrong, I consider 200+ there easily as safe as 130 on lets say, the old A44 with it's narrow bridges, little room, short sliproads/merge lanes, etc...

Last edited by snowdog; September 21st, 2012 at 04:40 AM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 08:43 AM   #109
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
....But wider lanes means you have more play room if something goes wrong, you have more space to regain control, evade someone, more room for steering mistakes and corrections, etcetc...
For the sake of that "someone" who has the misfortune of having you on the road with them, I hope you're as good a driver as you think you are.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; September 21st, 2012 at 09:37 AM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 02:50 PM   #110
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I think these laws for beginners are stupid. It only annoys other drivers who are behind them.
Yeah, I also think so. Plus, having a sticker telling everyone how dumb are you only makes it worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
Depends on traffic situation and whether I'm cruising or in a hurry.

Cruising:
During daytime I prefer to cruise 130-140 km/h if the situation allows it.
At night I usually set my cruise control at 160-170km/h ( I have a good month) or 100-110km/h ( I'm nearly broke and saving fuel)...

Hurry:
At night, I usually drive pedal to the medal which means speeds that will make me lose my license for ages , during daytime&hurry it means usually constant accelerating and braking and speeds between 90-160 km/h due to traffic.
I guess speeding is less enforced at late night. I also drive fast in that time of the day, well, everybody does.
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorway