daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 19th, 2012, 10:25 PM   #2141
Tommy Boy
MEGATALLS for AMERICA

Likes (Received): 112

It ought to be 'high ceilings in here, SCC" in terms of different thinking. As long as we're talking about things that belongs in here in terms like "the height of the buildings, architecture, aesthetics etc", so will the debate be started without personal attacks and saying things like "what the hell is wrong with you and so on" because we have taken down talk level the entire then. We also need different opinions to a forum will be alive

We do not need to accept each other's views or respect them but we can discuss without hostility/bad mood

Last edited by Tommy Boy; May 19th, 2012 at 10:32 PM.
Tommy Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #2142
Bob!
Not the Builder

Likes (Received): 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
I love this building and it is very unique in its architectural aesthetics and height.
This tower is unique in a bad kind of way. I've seen a lot of uninspired boxes but not in this dimension. I would never associate "architectural aesthetic" with this building.

Quote:
What I propagated for was to make it 56 feet higher as it had been four feet higher than willis tower. It would had every great symbolic value in that New York would have the tallest building in roof height. It was/is my argumnet. I realize of course that this will not happen it is expensive it may be difficult, and the owner maybe is satisfied with this height and so on. I am just glad that this building is being built right now
There's nothing wrong with New York getting a new tallest although I am not a fan of this height race, but that's not the topic here. What I'm saying is that aesthetic should come first. The height must fit the design, in this case it doesn't. Building generic boxes like this is only "okay" if they don't catch your eye - which this tower clearly does. I like thin skyscrapers (30 Park Place for example), but 432 Park Ave will ruin the skyline with its unbalanced shape.
Bob! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #2143
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconyc View Post
Nice shot thanks for posting...but excavating is complete with the exception of little digging here and there for footings...and the ramp which is all fill...the area underneath was already blasted and excavated (they did this first) and then it was filled in when they moved the ramp from the west end to the east end..it will come out very quickly when they need to. this building is rock'n roll'n!
Exactly. Once the money gets released things move remarkably fast. The site is constrained and in a very busy location. Staging the foundation work is a carefully and thoroughly choreographed routine.

Zaz965 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2012, 11:08 PM   #2144
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

Guys please calm down. There will be probably another supertall on 425 Park Avenue. (which might be thicker) This tower and 432 park Avenue can make a nice pair of supertalls, so maybe in the end both will work fine in the skyline.

I am looking forward for both of them
Old May 19th, 2012, 11:11 PM   #2145
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Quote:
Originally Posted by King-Krunch View Post
Wow, another supertall for New York. I'm not sure yet if i will like this one, time will tell.
If you don't like this one then maybe you'll like the next. There's 15 of them in various stages of development in the NYC metro area!

Zaz965 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2012, 11:48 PM   #2146
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
Guys please calm down. There will be probably another supertall on 425 Park Avenue. (which might be thicker) This tower and 432 park Avenue can make a nice pair of supertalls, so maybe in the end both will work fine in the skyline.

I am looking forward for both of them
I hope it will be a twin of 432 Park

Highcliff liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #2147
Nino_B

Likes (Received): 228

The World Trade Center towers had a sway of roughly 3 1/2 feet near the top where the Empire State Building swayed only about 3 inches in heavy winds. Both were stiffer designs than this one.

The rule of thumb is to allow for the building height divided by 500 for the lateral sway allowance at the top.

I would think that for a building that slender it will need a tuned mass damper to prevent excessive sway on the upper floors. Not necessarily dangerous but it could be uncomfortable to live on the upper floors on a very windy day.
Nino_B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 12:50 AM   #2148
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

stiffer how? All I heard is that concrete structure is always less swaying than steel, and as we know both twins and esb are/were steel structures.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 12:56 AM   #2149
Kanto
Roof height crusader

from what I know ESB swayed so much less than the Twins because of its masonry outer walls

Old May 20th, 2012, 01:53 AM   #2150
marsh

Likes (Received): 25

Some people need to relax & take a deep breath..*Breathe in* *Breathe out* ...Variety is a good thing for the skyline. Variety is the spice of life. If all the skyscrapers were similar, it would be a dull picture. I like the building's unique tall slender design. As far as swaying, I'm sure the designers have accounted for that. I think it will have a hat truss at the top, to help stabilize it, and probably other things too. But my main point is that after a nearly 40-year drought, we are lucky to be living in a time now when supertalls are coming back to New York with a vengeance! 1WTC, and 432 Park are under construction, and more to come...Noone yet knows the final height of 432 Park, it could be 1398, or it could be 1400, or maybe even 1420. The good thing is that it is being run by private developers so the Port Authority can't interfere and **** it up. So I for one am excited to watch it built.
marsh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 05:47 AM   #2151
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I hope it will be a twin of 432 Park
Maybe they can build a twin diagonally across the street. So there will be two milk cartons, one on the NW corner and one on the SE corner.

Do you have any idea what that will remind people of?
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 09:46 AM   #2152
comet the cat
Too tall is not an option

Likes (Received): 85

Haha wow, it's stirring up a flame war before it's built, can you imagine the public's reaction when they see this thing rise?
Old May 20th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #2153
patrykus

right placement would be very close one for such thin tall towers, so yeah it would have been a problem.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old May 20th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #2154
Kanto
Roof height crusader

But as long as the buildings won't be on the same West-East axis all should be OK with light

Old May 20th, 2012, 02:14 PM   #2155
patrykus

then go, force the owners to sell, and buy these perfect plots for the developer.

Old May 20th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #2156
Kanto
Roof height crusader

LOL, why? I was just giving you an example, nothing more

Old May 20th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #2157
patrykus

If you are suggesting something you first have to think if it is reasonably possible...

Old May 20th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #2158
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28311

Too many forumers here live in some kind of Sim City world.
Crazy ideas like rebuilding the Twins somewhere else or 'simply' adding 56 meter to 432 Park.
Wake up guys.

Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 02:32 PM   #2159
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
Too many forumers here live in some kind of Sim City world.
Crazy ideas like rebuilding the Twins somewhere else or 'simply' adding 56 meter to 432 Park.
Wake up guys.
Too many forumers are kids here..Simple as that..
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #2160
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Hey I didn't say to add 56 meters

And yes, I'm inexperienced in the world of construction but I'd like to change that so I'm always willing to learn

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall