daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 27th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #2261
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1153

I have an analogy.

When One Chase Manhattan was build in Lower Manhattan, it was a very imposing and prominent building in the skyline. Over the time buildings were added, to the point we have today, in which you can barely see it.

This will happen to this building too. Unimaginable if you keep in mind what height it has. But that´s how the Manhattan Skylines evolves, bigger, better, bolder, stronger.

NYC, you are on a strong roll...........

Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #2262
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

This tower will have a great silhouette in the skyline.

Highcliff liked this post
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 06:31 AM   #2263
fish

Likes (Received):

This will be the second tallest in the city when complete!

Highcliff liked this post
Old May 28th, 2012, 08:04 AM   #2264
fish

Likes (Received):

I just realized that this will be the tallest building near Central Park ---AND--- the tallest in Midtown !!
Old May 28th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #2265
Tommy Boy
MEGATALLS for AMERICA

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Known supertalls coming to Midtown:

1. One57
2. 225 W 57th
3. Torre Verre
4. Coach Tower
5. HY North Tower
6. HY Hotel/Condo
7. 15 Penn
8. Manhattan West
9. Girasole
10. 432 Park

Christmas comes early to N.Y

VERY GOOD NEWS

http://www.twintowersalliance.com/images/Golden_Towers.png
Tommy Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #2266
I am he

Likes (Received): 5

What is the coach tower, and what is happening at 225 west 57th?? I've been wondering for a while ?
I am he no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 02:04 PM   #2267
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am he View Post
What is the coach tower, and what is happening at 225 west 57th?? I've been wondering for a while ?
The Coach tower is the smaller of the "scissor twins" at the Hudson Yards.

Extell, the develope of One57, has retained Herzog de Meuron, to design a tower of at least 1,250 feet tall, but likely, it will be taller.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #2268
fish

Likes (Received):

That's what I love about Manhattan.
A man-made metropolis of unparalleled architectural design.
Old May 28th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #2269
Skyscrapers144
RISING HIGH

Likes (Received): 1023

432 Park Avenue Tower Diagram:

You should follow me on...
Twitter
Instagram
Tumblr
Skyscrapers144 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 02:22 AM   #2270
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscrapers144 View Post
432 Park Avenue Tower Diagram:
Nice! This is definitely gonna be an interesting building. When can we expect to see it break ground level?

Last edited by desertpunk; May 29th, 2012 at 09:53 AM. Reason: no need to quote pics in the same page!
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 07:35 AM   #2271
boss-ton

Likes (Received): 182

Im just curious i havent seen anything come up yet, how is this building going to be stable being so thin and so tall. It looks to me like it would sway an awful lot in the wind being not aerodynamic at all and so thin. Also I know that taller buildings have more elevators which means bigger core, seeing how thin this tower is is the core going to make up a majority of the floorplates. To me it seems like it will use a strong exoskeleton like the world trade center but also a very strong core to have the best of both worlds and to keep it stable.
boss-ton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 08:28 AM   #2272
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I think it should be roof height unless the spire is an integral part of the building like the Chrysler building and the ESB.
join the spire conversation on here http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...513870&page=11
Old May 29th, 2012, 09:10 AM   #2273
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
Unless CTBUH pulls a double standard, 1 WTC will be second tallest. I don't follow their system, but if you do, you should know that a antennae doesn't count, and 1 WTC has an antennae.

Of course, I think their system is stupid, but the system I use/created also has 1 WTC at a official height of 1374 ft.
CTBUH went back to listing 1WTC as 1776 feet.

So officially this will be NY's second tallest, but roof height it will be the tallest, with higher roofs yet to come.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #2274
Appreciation Station

Likes (Received): 23

I completely agree with germantower on his analogy, this could very well be a new standard height for future NYC!!
Old May 29th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #2275
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
CTBUH went back to listing 1WTC as 1776 feet.

So officially this will be NY's second tallest, but roof height it will be the tallest, with higher roofs yet to come.
You keep saying this baseless comment in every thread, why do you care so much about 1 WTC having a height of 541 meters ? You realize that it is really a 419 meter building with a massive 400 ft pipe on top right ? I say pipe because the new antennae looks like a pipe.

Based off this, maybe I will add a 250 meter spire to Houston's tallest building(303m), based off CTBUH rankings, it will be America's tallest. Also, you can add spires to completed buildings, and it will count. They added a spire to a Dallas building over 10 years later.

I don't like the design of 432 park, but even I realize that it will be NYC's tallest.
Old May 30th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #2276
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

CIM is going to sell these apartments at a decent value.

http://blogs.wsj.com/developments/20...r-in-new-york/

May 29, 2012, 11:47 AM Details Revealed for Super-Tall Tower in New

By Eliot Brown and Craig Karmin

The site of the former Drake Hotel on New York’s Park Avenue has long been a subject of fascination in the development world, given its prime location on a vaunted boulevard that’s barely seen any construction in a half-century.

Now new details are emerging about the soaring condo tower planned for the site by its owner, the CIM Group, which scooped the property at 56th Street up in the depths of the downturn for $305 million.

CIM, the Los Angeles-based private equity fund, has been out looking for partners in its project, and in recent months circulated a packet in which it and its advisers at Citigroup sought to cobble together more than $100 million from investors putting in at least $1 million each.

Within the 67-page document—reviewed by The Wall Street Journal —are a collection of striking images of what would be the tallest residential tower in the U.S. at 1,395 feet as well as a number of other interesting factoids about the tower, called 432 Park:

The tower, designed by Rafael Viñoly and developed by Harry Macklowe, is expected to cost $1.2 billion; when everything is completed, CIM projects it would net $2.5 billion from sales of residential units and and other space, which is mostly retail.

Its 128 units would vary in size from 1,390 square feet to more than 8,000 square feet.

The expected average sales price is $4,500 per square foot, which would be below recent resales at the Time Warner Center and asking prices at One57.

CIM expects to pre-sell 40 of them, and then sell four per month; closings are expected to begin in October 2014, and the building is planned to hit “substantial completion” in April 2015.

There would be 25 studios “to house residential support staff.”

The retail would run along 57th Street with 101 feet of frontage.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 01:53 AM   #2277
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Within the 67-page document—reviewed by The Wall Street Journal —are a collection of striking images of what would be the tallest residential tower in the U.S. at 1,395 feet as well as a number of other interesting factoids about the tower, called 432 Park:

I wish we could see those striking images.

Plus I wonder why they keep changing the number, maybe they're just approximating.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 07:18 AM   #2278
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

image hosted on flickr

MAYRICH | Hitachi 850's & Hitachi 800 triple boom by Vin Schiano, on Flickr
Old May 30th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #2279
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Progressing well , thx Desertpunk.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #2280
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 3046

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-ton View Post
Im just curious i havent seen anything come up yet, how is this building going to be stable being so thin and so tall. It looks to me like it would sway an awful lot in the wind being not aerodynamic at all and so thin. Also I know that taller buildings have more elevators which means bigger core, seeing how thin this tower is is the core going to make up a majority of the floorplates. To me it seems like it will use a strong exoskeleton like the world trade center but also a very strong core to have the best of both worlds and to keep it stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconyc View Post
If one looks at the drawings and the notes you will see that this building WILL have a mass damper AND the open terraces and mechanical floors are designed to disrupt vortices such to reduce wind pressures on the building Notice that the open terraces alternate sides of the building with each section. Opening the structure for two floors every nine floors. this more and engineering solution that has been integrated in the aesthetics and functional aspects of the structure. I am not registered on the "other" forum but this question was asked there as well. (See this forum post#1903 document, read notes on Table 2.2)
Eastern37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall