daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 8th, 2012, 05:00 AM   #2421
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
Apparently, some people don't like change. NYC can't stay a museum of old buildings for God's sake!
I have notice that too with the like's of Hudson Yards North Office Tower, tower verre, one world trade and, 432 anything that is modern people are hating .

Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2012, 05:55 AM   #2422
Arawooho

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee fan for life View Post
I have notice that too with the like's of Hudson Yards North Office Tower, tower verre, one world trade and, 432 anything that is modern people are hating .
I have noticed that people nowadays hate certain new modern things in general. For example this tower, it's amazing height with such little foot print, it's amazing how the were able to do this. Yet people hate it for the same reasons. Another example, many people do not want to replace the ye olde rotting <1950's buildings with something different and newer.

Even in Facebook for example, whenever there is a new design change, such as the recent Timeline, people get angry and say they hate it merely because it is new and do not care about anything else such as upgraded ease of use or new features.

Unless people want to live with the same old stuff without innovations or new ideas, they should travel back in time. But for the rest of us, who want to see new unique things and innovations, then let's enjoy the moment, because it's not every day this city has such a boom in modern development
Arawooho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 06:13 AM   #2423
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

I don't know why there is so much hate about this tower, I think it fits perfectly fine in Midtown.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #2424
Littlemob

Likes (Received): 7

I think if this building was build where some ugly '60 building stood there would be less hating. Now beautiful drake hotel and some town houses where destroyed. Technically this building is very interesting, design wise everybody would call it a filler if it was half as high.
Littlemob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #2425
moustache
BANNED

Likes (Received): 706

Quote:
I have noticed that people nowadays hate certain new modern things in general.
I love the change and the modernity, but the shape and the cladding of This tower are too much simple.
Sorry man, this tower sucks.
moustache no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #2426
S.T.Y AP

Likes (Received): 626

At first i didn't like it. But now, i'm starting to think that it's gonna be great.
S.T.Y AP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #2427
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlemob View Post
I think if this building was build where some ugly '60 building stood there would be less hating. Now beautiful drake hotel and some town houses where destroyed. Technically this building is very interesting, design wise everybody would call it a filler if it was half as high.
Exactly the point. This is a filler design - but with its height it tries to stand out, what makes it look like an attempt at stacking buildings bricks.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 06:48 PM   #2428
jconyc

Likes (Received): 168

Sorry I don't buy it. Drake and townhouses were nothing special...
This is not filler, Iconic future historic structure...breaking the glass ceiling of midtown

Excavating right up to the ramp now for more tower column footings
jconyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #2429
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee fan for life View Post
I love Tower Verre, and 1 WTC and the Hudson Yards are pretty good too. I understand that some people like simple design, but there is such a thing as good looking simple design, and bad looking simple design. This is bad looking, ask any known architect, and I would probably bet you a grand that they would all resoundingly say this is very dull an boring.

Quote:
Even in Facebook for example, whenever there is a new design change, such as the recent Timeline, people get angry and say they hate it merely because it is new and do not care about anything else such as upgraded ease of use or new features.
Are you really comparing this to Facebook ?
Old June 9th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #2430
greencitizen144

Likes (Received): 66

Well, it will stand out...whether that's a good thing or a bad one we will see. The facade is going to make it or break it
greencitizen144 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 06:16 AM   #2431
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

I don't like it because it's nothing special. There's no wow factor. But I don't mind them building it
Old June 9th, 2012, 09:01 AM   #2432
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
I don't like it because it's nothing special. There's no wow factor. But I don't mind them building it
Exactly. If this was 300m I would be fine with it getting built, but to have a tower like this be 426 meters, to tower above the midtown skyline, yet have no wow factor, and no iconic look, it really is a shame. The facade will determine whether or not this enhances or kills the midtown skyline. If it had some type of white crystal type facade to it, I could see it maybe looking good.
Old June 9th, 2012, 09:24 AM   #2433
Nikonov_Ivan

Likes (Received): 704

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
Why it is not special? Can you find another building in the world with shape like this? I think that it is so special because it is very simple.

Last edited by Nikonov_Ivan; June 9th, 2012 at 10:02 AM.
Nikonov_Ivan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #2434
moustache
BANNED

Likes (Received): 706

Quote:
I think that it is so special because it is very simple
Simple building is the norme in our world !!! We can find simple buildings every where on this planet ! And there are lots of buildings which are more simple than this boring building.
moustache no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 06:48 PM   #2435
Ajaypp
Trivandrum Lobbyist

Likes (Received): 1131

IMHO, new buildings in a open real estate market (as opposed to a hubris fueled one) reflect demand from consumers. Developers have a right to build and consumers have a right to own or lease real estate as much as pedestrians have a right to a pleasant experience and old building lovers have theirs to enjoy a heritage rich view. As a developer, I cannot understand the holier-than-thou opinions that some people have about older buildings. If there is do demand in the market to sustain them beyond their obvious economic life, they will be replaced by newer ones. If everyone had demanded that the low rises of historic Manhattan and Chicago were to be preserved at all costs, we would never have had a skyscraper skyline in the first place.

If the market supports this project and the developer can build it, let it be. Cities are living organisms in many senses, they have to evolve or risk becoming extinct. There may be areas where pure economics dictates that older buildings can be preserved, but it's pure folly to expect that preservation overrides everything else, be it in the case of this project or for others such as 15 Penn Plaza.
Ajaypp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #2436
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconyc View Post
...If you live here and work here as I do I would be happy to debate the details of the Midtown street-scape...otherwise you are commenting from a distance and your comments simply uniformed opinion.
Couldn't agree more, with you too Ajaypp. The people who complain NY is destroying its historic past have no concept of just how much of NYs buildings date from the first half of the 20th century and earlier, and how many of those buildings are landmarked. NYC has more historic landmarks than 40 States in the US combined. Walk an average block in New York and the majority of the buildings you encounter are at least 50 years old.

But an overwhelming majority of those people don't live here, or have never been here, so you can't really blame them I suppose.

As for this building, I find it incredibly ironic that some claimed this building has no wow factor, yet in the same sentence acknowledge they're talking about a 426 meter building with toothpick like proportions. This will be a NY icon when finished. The combination of height and dimensions are ludicrous.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #2437
cnapan

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Couldn't agree more, with you too Ajaypp. The people who complain NY is destroying its historic past have no concept of just how much of NYs buildings date from the first half of the 20th century and earlier, and how many of those buildings are landmarked. NYC has more historic landmarks than 40 States in the US combined. Walk an average block in New York and the majority of the buildings you encounter are at least 50 years old.

But an overwhelming majority of those people don't live here, or have never been here, so you can't really blame them I suppose.

As for this building, I find it incredibly ironic that some claimed this building has no wow factor, yet in the same sentence acknowledge they're talking about a 426 meter building with toothpick like proportions. This will be a NY icon when finished. The combination of height and dimensions are ludicrous.
You don't have to live in a particular city to see that demolishing a beautiful building to erect another when there are plenty of ugly alternatives to demolish is stupidity.

Well done to NYC that many buildings are protected, but in no way does that excuse the vandalism that has taken place.

Many cities across the world are poorer for the appalling planning decisions that have taken place in the name of progress. Take Dublin. At first glance you'd think it had been the unfortunate victim of a Nazi bomber raid, but then you find out that the hideous in-fill which has replaced stunning streetscapes in various streets was all the work of the locals.

Plenty of cities in the US would beg for just a little of the class which has just been erased in the name of progress, yet NYC - like most cities - is in no way short of sites more appropriate for demolition to make way for the new.

Coming out with this crap about people not being able to hold a view on this vandalism if they don't live there is pretty pathetic. Why bother?
cnapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #2438
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

The greed among developers in the US is unrivaled by any first-world country. This is partcularly true in NY since it's one of the few US cities with both a lot of old gems and a high demand for new towers.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 12:43 AM   #2439
singoone
€ Scraping the sky €

Likes (Received): 666

Webcam.

singoone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 01:34 AM   #2440
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
The greed among developers in the US is unrivaled by any first-world country. This is partcularly true in NY since it's one of the few US cities with both a lot of old gems and a high demand for new towers.
You know what they say, "Money is the root of all evil"

Greed causes all of the world's problems.

America is the most powerful country in the world, yet all we want is more power, and money is power. This is why America is so corrupt, when the demand is there, we do whatever we can to make more money.

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall