daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 13th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #2481
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

This is final design (or at least last we got). Imo empty spacings makes huge difference (I don't like it at all on the render posted by Gunner). But I understand some may still don't like it.

PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #2482
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Yes the design sucks. But it doesn't matter that much. The significance of this tower is in its height. It, along with One57, 225West57, Torre Verre and others mean that now any building in NY that wants to be considered first rate and command top dollar has to be over 1,000 feet tall.

The NYC skyline will be radically different in 30 years thanks to this tower.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #2483
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Did you guys miss these? edit: nvm

http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/im...0606143514.jpg

http://nyoobserver.files.wordpress.c...6/11.jpg?w=900

http://nyoobserver.files.wordpress.c...5-am.png?w=900
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #2484
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22571

even if it might be an eye soar during the day it will look interesting at night with the spacings lit
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #2485
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5171

It needs some color. Some earlier renders showed a greenish-blueish color. I hope it'll have something. Bare looking concrete like the above render is way too bland.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #2486
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28311

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
This is final design (or at least last we got). Imo empty spacings makes huge difference (I don't like it at all on the render posted by Gunner). But I understand some may still don't like it.
I agree, these spacings are a good addition to the design.
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #2487
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

It's not bare concrete, it will be coated in nickel
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #2488
patrykus

Actually bare concrete is not white, but gray. And this tower will have pure white appearance contrasted with dark glass.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old June 14th, 2012, 12:51 AM   #2489
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5171

Quote:
Actually bare concrete is not white, but gray. And this tower will have pure white appearance contrasted with dark glass.
Pure white and dark glass is still pretty plain IMO. Some vibrant colors would do wonders for this tower.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:19 AM   #2490
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

I remember hearing it was going to be covered in shiny nickel, don't know if that's true or not though.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:19 AM   #2491
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
Pure white and dark glass is still pretty plain IMO. Some vibrant colors would do wonders for this tower.
We are getting on the field of personal fancys, but I always felt making simple contrasts is the basic idea behind this project. Blueish glass or structure would destroy that effect imo.

Would you rather like something like this more?

This is what I posted some time ago. Existing building in new york by the same architect with quite similar pattern that we are going to get here. The building itself is obviously way less catchy but still it shows well that this pattern looks quite pleasant imo and fits location nicely.

Quote:
I believe he was talking about Robert. Seems like I'm not the only one who sens his superiority complex after all Aon's fascist facade? You are going down buddy

Anyways maybe something on topic for a change:

I looked trough the other works of Rafael Vińoly the architect of 443. Granted they do love boxes I found the one below, Flatotel in NY. I think this is more or less how the cladding of 443 may actually look like. Maybe it won't be that bad after all. I like how the surface is 3d. At least not another boring flat glass wall.

image hosted on flickr

Old June 14th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #2492
dexter2
Pijcie portera z BŁ!

Likes (Received): 18892

At first i loved this tower. And don't get me wrong - I still like it very much. But I'm starting to think that it may be simply too high.
Consider that It'll be in fact twice as high as buildings sorrounding the spot. Boxy shape and ridiculous proportions are not making this situation better - ESB has a spire, It's natural for it to be much higher... But this?
I'm just afraid It will stand out too much in skyline. And in this bad way if you know what I mean - much worse than in case of ESB and old WTC.

The only hope is that not far away will grow some 300-350m towers, so that great stick could blend a little... but not disappear

Bo gdzie byś nie był i jak by cię nie przyjęli
Nigdy nie będziesz się czuł jak na Obiecanej Ziemi

Łódź - Remonty kamienic i zabytków - 2010, 2011, 2012
Łódzkie absurdy drogowe - ŁAD na Facebooku!

NYC & EastCoast USA!
dexter2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 02:20 AM   #2493
patrykus

Of course it will stick out extremely. We can only hope for some tall surroundings around it as you said. Someone posted a skyline poster with this tower some time ago showing clearly how this will stand out seen from far.

Old June 14th, 2012, 02:25 AM   #2494
patrykus

here it is:

image hosted on flickr

And keep in mind it is even shown along with future towers that aren't there yet.

Old June 14th, 2012, 02:40 AM   #2495
dexter2
Pijcie portera z BŁ!

Likes (Received): 18892

This banner is from far, far away... Angles from smaller distances won't make it that tall I hope... but still - to high.

Bo gdzie byś nie był i jak by cię nie przyjęli
Nigdy nie będziesz się czuł jak na Obiecanej Ziemi

Łódź - Remonty kamienic i zabytków - 2010, 2011, 2012
Łódzkie absurdy drogowe - ŁAD na Facebooku!

NYC & EastCoast USA!

Last edited by dexter2; June 14th, 2012 at 03:16 AM.
dexter2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:41 PM   #2496
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58039

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
It's not bare concrete, it will be coated in nickel
Where did you get that from?

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #2497
ThatOneGuy

A few months ago there was a post that specified nickel.
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #2498
patrykus

Wasnt that just a suggestion?

Old June 14th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #2499
ThatOneGuy

I can't be bothered to search this whole thread for it.
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #2500
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

No, RW has a contact with some inside information about the project. This contact through RW, has given us a lot of information about this project before it was made public, and that information turned out to be correct.

Also, do people honestly think that a building being built on 56th and Park, with a target demographic of the wealthiest people in the entire world, would use bare, exposed concrete? Come on people. Think.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall