daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 21st, 2012, 11:56 AM   #2621
Munwon

Likes (Received): 3183

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post

People will change their tunes when this sleek monster starts to rise.
so true! just you wait and see
Munwon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2012, 12:30 PM   #2622
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

The grid looks really thin on this latest model.
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 01:29 PM   #2623
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lau View Post
Why can predict the future aspect of the tower with Sky House, (180 meters, 55 floors), also in New York:

Damn, that looks pretty tall and it's only 180m. 432 PA is 426m tall... this will be one crazy supertall.
Old June 21st, 2012, 01:35 PM   #2624
PABLOEING

Likes (Received): 28

THIS BUILDING WITH THE DIMENSION OF THE OLDER WTC ( ONE TOWER) WOULD BE AWESOME.
PABLOEING no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 02:10 PM   #2625
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

Dont tell me this is a sample wall for PAINT they will use on some part of this building.
[IMG]http://i48.************/cuyyc.jpg[/IMG]
Source:http://www.432parkavenue.com/construction/#video2
Old June 21st, 2012, 02:36 PM   #2626
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57912

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Look at (the postmodern) Cityspire or Barclay Tower. They're not boxy and minimalist and they have setbacks and yet they're really bland. Unless a miracle happens and some guy can actually design GOOD looking modern art-deco scrapers, minimalism is going to stay.
You've got to be kidding. I even responded to you regarding this.
Please have a look at this post for reference: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...3#post92497673

In addition, you might check this out to open your eyes for modern traditional architecture:
--- New Buildings Built in Traditional Architecture Style ---

21st Century Neohistorist Architecture of all kinds

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Last edited by erbse; June 21st, 2012 at 02:50 PM.
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 02:41 PM   #2627
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57912

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC1987 View Post
The proportions aren't failed, they're completely intentional.
LOL. Sorry but that ought to be a joke.

I mean, look at this - its proportions most probably are intentional as well, but uhm... Yeah, look at it - it fails in terms of tasteful aesthetics

Source

So does 432 Park. Just on a much larger scale. I'm not into continuing this discussion forever, but I'd like to find out what's the reason behind all this negotiation of human aesthetics, traditional and local values and empathy for blandness. I just can't understand it, sorry.

This globally completely exchangeable, bland and arrogant modernism has spoiled so many cities around the globe already. I just fail to see how it improved any of our historical cities. Think of what beauties cities like Rio or Tokyo once were... I'm from Germany, that suffered a lot of war and post-war destructions of its cities. Most people hate what was done to their cities - and thus it's not comprehensible how people are INTENTIONALLY destroying their city's heritage and souls.

Just two threads for reference, there are many more:
Your city's lost heritage: Buildings that should never have been demolished.

Voluntarily Demolished Skyscrapers

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Last edited by erbse; June 21st, 2012 at 02:54 PM.
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 03:17 PM   #2628
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
You've got to be kidding. I even responded to you regarding this.
Please have a look at this post for reference: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...3#post92497673

In addition, you might check this out to open your eyes for modern traditional architecture:
--- New Buildings Built in Traditional Architecture Style ---

21st Century Neohistorist Architecture of all kinds
Looks like you can't accept differences. You're stuck in the past. I think it's time for you to realize that time passed and things are changed. This is how architecture looks today. You can forever if you want but you can't have any influence on how things are developing and changing through the time. I guess if it was up to you we would still have doric and ionic columns. In about 1000 years there could be buildings looking like penises. Who cares. If most of the people like it that way and if that's the way things are changing then accept it or just kill yourself if you can't stand it. This how architecture today looks terrible is too annoying already in this thread.
Old June 21st, 2012, 03:18 PM   #2629
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

So which is it now?

This

or this?

They differ quite a lot and the one posted lately looks like preliminary design and worse imo.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 03:21 PM   #2630
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
So which is it now?
My logic says the first one. There's no way that such a thin structural facade can hold this thing up.
Old June 21st, 2012, 04:37 PM   #2631
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
So which is it now?
It's the same thing in different light. Both are official renderings from CIM. Here's a rendering from Vinoly as to what the facade will look like at street level. The metal grid/facade is not thick, considering that each "square" is about 15 feet wide.

Last edited by erbse; June 21st, 2012 at 07:39 PM.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 04:52 PM   #2632
jconyc

Likes (Received): 168

I think neither one are completely true to the building...these are just low resolution drawings and are to be taken with a grain of salt...have patience.

And erbse..can't you just accept that some people don't agree with you?
Cities must renew themselves or die or just become museums.

This is my city and I love this building...
I'll say it one more time for those who don't listen and who do not know what they are talking about...the Drake and the townhouses that were removed for this building were nothing special...this building WILL BE something special...there the last time I'm saying it I promise

on a positive note:
Another pour going on this morning...finishing up perimeter walls and forming more tower column footings...going uP!
jconyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 04:54 PM   #2633
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

This is precisely how the facade will look. This is Vinoly's rendering.

http://cdn.archinect.net/images/615x...hm2e4hr0h4.jpg

Last edited by erbse; June 21st, 2012 at 07:40 PM.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 05:05 PM   #2634
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
This is precisely how the facade will look. This is Vinoly's rendering.
But the grid is not even connected to the tower here.
Old June 21st, 2012, 05:19 PM   #2635
patrykus

@RobertWalpole sorry I don't buy it. They might came from the developer but there is no way the building will look that different depending on light conditions. I just think that the greenish render is an older more primitive version. I also think the old base render you posted is outdated now. Look at the clearance I marked on it. There is no such clearance visible on any of the newer renders as well as on the model and plans.

I may be wrong but this is much more interesting topic to discuss than this pointless battle everyone is fueling lately.

@jconyc I don't agree, the render above looks quite realistic to me. I guess this is how the tower will look like in real live but it would be nice to have some official confirmation like render on the developers site.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old June 21st, 2012, 06:18 PM   #2636
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
Dont tell me this is a sample wall for PAINT they will use on some part of this building.
[IMG]http://i48.************/cuyyc.jpg[/IMG]
Source:http://www.432parkavenue.com/construction/#video2
I thought all the townhouses on 57th and been demolished already. I know CIM bought the Turnbull & Asser (the one with the flags). The Jacob & Co was the last holdout as far as I knew. But that news was from late last year. With them building the retaining walls, it looks like they've given up at this point and will just proceed with the site as is. Anyone else have other news?
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 06:31 PM   #2637
jconyc

I guess I should have elaborated...I think the drawings are a bit fuzzy to tell a whole lot about the proportions and more importantly the profile of the grid. In some renders (I apologize that I not able to illustrate this, I am a bit computer challenged on the image inserting front) In some cases the grid is square in section and in others there appears to be a taper to it...in other words the structure surrounding the windows is beveled toward the outside so the structure presents more of a fin like shape. This would also allow a broader view when looking out through the windows.I suspect that something close to this is what will actually take shape. My point is that this detail show not show up in most of the renderings which show more of a blunt structure more indicative of the over section...imagine a square as opposed to triangle described by a square of the same dimension. The point of this is that the finned structure would appear much lighter than the square one. I wish I could draw this so it would make more sense. I agree that Roberts drawing below described the profile most accurately regardless of the inner detail. It may be that the finned exterior would be more aerodynamic. Of consideration of note here as well are possible areas for the collection of snow and ice....something New Yorkers are quite focused on...think dodging snow or ice clumps falling to sidewalk 1200 meters below! this is a constant hazard with the Sony building a block away

ps In the DOB renderings the structural profiles are shown as square in section with the windows flush with surface but the glass beveled inwards around the edges much like a bay window...see pages 6 and 7 of the pdf... so who knows for sure

Last edited by jconyc; June 21st, 2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old June 21st, 2012, 06:54 PM   #2638
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

I think you mean 1200 feet.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 07:22 PM   #2639
jconyc

Darn only 1200 FEET? I thought this thing was 1400 METERS!!!???
Want another beer?
Old June 21st, 2012, 07:55 PM   #2640
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconyc View Post
I guess I should have elaborated...I think the drawings are a bit fuzzy to tell a whole lot about the proportions and more importantly the profile of the grid. In some renders (I apologize that I not able to illustrate this, I am a bit computer challenged on the image inserting front) In some cases the grid is square in section and in others there appears to be a taper to it...in other words the structure surrounding the windows is beveled toward the outside so the structure presents more of a fin like shape. This would also allow a broader view when looking out through the windows.I suspect that something close to this is what will actually take shape. My point is that this detail show not show up in most of the renderings which show more of a blunt structure more indicative of the over section...imagine a square as opposed to triangle described by a square of the same dimension. The point of this is that the finned structure would appear much lighter than the square one. I wish I could draw this so it would make more sense. I agree that Roberts drawing below described the profile most accurately regardless of the inner detail. It may be that the finned exterior would be more aerodynamic. Of consideration of note here as well are possible areas for the collection of snow and ice....something New Yorkers are quite focused on...think dodging snow or ice clumps falling to sidewalk 1200 meters below! this is a constant hazard with the Sony building a block away

ps In the DOB renderings the structural profiles are shown as square in section with the windows flush with surface but the glass beveled inwards around the edges much like a bay window...see pages 6 and 7 of the pdf... so who knows for sure
Exactly. It seems that they abandoned the idea of thin beveled grid at some point. Notice that if it was still on in the design in new render it would be visible because horizontal beams would appear much thinner at certain height (height of the camera) instead they are always fat. Also plans seems to confirm this.

This grid is tower's major support so imo this is no strange that this thin option had to be replaced.

Besides we were talking about tower's general appearance and the base rendering even if accurate by the grid still couldn't show it as it lacks even cladding glass and basic inner structure.

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall