daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 16th, 2012, 01:41 PM   #3161
marcatio

Likes (Received): 341

Thursday morning, and the concrete pump has arrived to begin the pouring of the slab on grade section. Most likely, concrete operations will begin at 7:00, when the 7 o'clock shift arrives on the job.

Update: 7:00AM (EST) - Concrete pouring is now underway. Starting at the far northeast corner, the boom of the concrete pump is stretched to its limits to place concrete. The pouring of this section of the slab on grade marks another milestone, and will be the major event of today.

Last edited by marcatio; August 16th, 2012 at 02:04 PM. Reason: addition
marcatio no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #3162
marcatio

8:46AM (EST) - As concrete operations continue on the slab, workers have installed filter fabric (black material) and polyethylene waterproofing membrane (white material) on the area south of the core. Workers have measured and marked in red paint locations for rebar (on the structural drawings would read as "#5 at 8" o.c. each way" meaning 5/8" diameter bars at eight inches on center both ways). Workers are now placing rebar. The little blocks seen on the 57th Street cam will be placed under the rebar to raise it as required within the poured slab.
Crushed stone is being delivered to the southwest corner of the site via the Hitachi excavator, receiving the crushed stone from the triple-boom excavator at street level. Rebar is being placed in the 56th Street footing. The 57th Street cam still is not showing the overall site, but focused on a closeup of a small portion of the area south of the core.
Old August 16th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #3163
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Loving this pour. I don't think those excavators can last past next week :-)
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #3164
600West218

I'm really liking the way the 57th street cam is zoomed in. You can see in great detail how they actually do the work. I'm hoping they keep it this way.
Old August 16th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #3165
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
If megatall = 600 meters then there are two under construction at the moment

30, even 30 years from now seems like a stretch, no one, even China puts up a megatall a year.
I guess you can believe in whatever you like. And since this is offtopic here and I'm last to defend china I won't continue this further just leave you with some statistics. If you move back in time not 30 or even 20, but only 10 years back you'll find that china have had total of around 10 completed/under construction supertalls. Now they have 65. If that fact makes you think that in 30 years with progressing technology (megatalls won't be as challenging as they are now - like it is now with supertalls) they will build just only 2-7 more megatalls then well... You are entitled to have an opinion. I just think yours is quite naive.

But back to topic now. I'm really glad they are finally finishing up the concrete slab. I'm just puzzled why the slab is divided in two parts. Apparently they are pouring it in sections. Quite weird considering I always though concrete slab to be strong enough has to be made with single/continuous pour. Maybe it's different for shallow bedrock sites?
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #3166
600West218

The 57th street cam keeps showing them putting rebar down and then taking it back up. Strange.
Old August 16th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #3167
marcatio

6ooWest 218,

It's nice to see how the filter fabric, waterproofing membrane, and rebar was placed with the closeup on the W. 57St cam, but I'd prefer seeing what is happening on the W.56 St perimeter wall as before. There is action there that is now being missed. The ideal situation would be to have detail shots occasionally, but overall site views most of the time.

patrykus,

I believe the second area being prepared south of the core just poured is a depressed area, hence a separate pour, rather than a monolithic pour.
Old August 16th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #3168
600West218

two technical questions:

The bricks that they put down to elevate the rebar - don't those create weaknesses in the concrete as they are a diffirent material?

Also, does the concrete not adhere to the wood used to create the "molds"? If not, why not? Do they apply some special substance to that side of the wood to keep it from sticking?
Old August 16th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #3169
marcatio

I believe those bricks may actually be pieces of CMU (concrete masonry units, commonly what is called concrete block). Since they are made of concrete, they wouldn't weaken the slab. They can be made with anywhere from 1000 to 5000 psi concrete.

Watching how the forms were done, I haven't seen much stripping done when the forms were made from lumber. In fact, a lot of it was left in place after the pour. However, when the perimeter walls were formed, those forms had a release agent sprayed on them to aid the stripping process, as those prefab forms are reused.
Old August 16th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #3170
deadhead262

Likes (Received): 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnweber View Post
432 Park Avenue seen here in rendering of possible Manhattan 2040, based on Bloomberg's Upzoning of Midtown East

http://ny.curbed.com/uploads/midtowneastrezoneafter.jpg
I'm sorry but that looks pretty bad. NYC is a city of culture and history not just megatall buildings. Don't get me wrong I would love a megatall there but in a more tradiotional design.
deadhead262 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #3171
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead262 View Post
I'm sorry but that looks pretty bad. NYC is a city of culture and history not just megatall buildings. Don't get me wrong I would love a megatall there but in a more tradiotional design.
it does look terrible doesn't it, at least those aren't actually planned to be built, but 432 looks great in there i think, it fits in with the rest of the buildings in ny
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 11:26 PM   #3172
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

And again, who said any of these towers is anything more than just a placeholder. They don't even guarantee the height of the buildings they represents so forget about the design.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 11:50 PM   #3173
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
I was responding to deadhead262. It's just pointless to comment on this towers since none of them will look like that. And his post seemed like he really believed it is what's getting build there
he was saying if they were built they wouldn't look like new york they dont fit in with the rest, and who are you to say its pointless to comment on them? last time i checked your not the skyscraper king, and far from it.
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 12:17 AM   #3174
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Man, they're doing some fast work here.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 07:06 AM   #3175
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Because the floor plates are quite small, this will be looming over the skyline before we know it.

RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #3176
Legomaniac

Likes (Received): 1955

Every single time i come to this thread i can't stop and think how thin it is. Looks like a good project, very similar to one in Mexico City called Peninsula 2, Santa Fe.

Legomaniac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #3177
davidwsk

Likes (Received): 3233

wow this tower is so slim and tall !
davidwsk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #3178
Martijn1
Martijn1

Likes (Received): 701

It is apples and oranges...you cannot compare. Besides, the NY tower is way taller and cooler in design.
Martijn1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #3179
marcatio

Friday morning, another day. Concrete is being poured into the forms south of the core, via the versatile Hitachi. This area was formed, waterproofed and reinforced yesterday in preparation for today's pour. The nook at the east side of the site, where the rebar bending crew and other building materials were located, have been relocated to the new section of slab on grade that was poured yesterday. My prediction is that this area may be next for preparation for concrete.

At the street, the triple-boom Hitachi continues with truck-loading duties.
Old August 17th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #3180
600West218

When they pour the concrete there is a man with some sort of hose that tosses it into the concrete and then pulls it out. You can see it clearly on the closeup 57th Street cam. What is that? What is its purpose?

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall